2015 Mask on Glatorian Heads

Boidoh

This sorta reminds me of the Knight's Kingdom masks, where they clipped on from the sides and could flip up... And I remember a MOC on here years back that was able to get a Kingdom mask to work with technic pieces for the 'mask".

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

Nope. These new masks don't have pins. They clip on.

They don't need pins. They can clip onto most parts with Technic axle holes spaced two modules apart—Glatorian fists, Hero Factory fists, Y-joints, Hero Factory feet, Hero Factory Brain Attack heads, and many other parts. They WOULD clip on to the Glatorian heads as well, if not for the "bolts" attaching the Glatorian head's "jaw". Those stick out too far and collide with the new masks, keeping them from attaching properly. So no, they don't attach to Glatorian heads.

EDIT: Actually, upon testing with one of my own masks and Glatorian heads, they CAN attach to Glatorian heads—but only with the face facing the top, not with the face facing the front. And attached like that they're very loose for some reason, and won't stay oriented in one position, unlike with the other parts I listed which typically have enough friction to hold it in place moderately well.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

They don't need pins. They can clip onto most parts with Technic axle holes spaced two modules apart—Glatorian fists, Hero Factory fists, Y-joints, Hero Factory feet, Hero Factory Brain Attack heads, and many other parts. They WOULD clip on to the Glatorian heads as well, if not for the "bolts" attaching the Glatorian head's "jaw". Those stick out too far and collide with the new masks, keeping them from attaching properly. So no, they don't attach to Glatorian heads.

EDIT: Actually, upon testing with one of my own masks and Glatorian heads, they CAN attach to Glatorian heads—but only with the face facing the top, not with the face facing the front. And attached like that they're very loose for some reason, and won't stay oriented in one position, unlike with the other parts I listed which typically have enough friction to hold it in place moderately well.

Im not actually very familiar with the HF system. I'll take your word on this.

Im not actually very familiar with the HF system. I'll take your word on this.

It really has very little to do with the Hero Factory system—this mask attachment is totally new (never used in Hero Factory), but the types of connection points it's compatible with are older than the original Bionicle (that is to say, it attaches to ordinary cross-axle holes or 3.2 mm bar holes). It can clip around most Bionicle characters' hands (from the Toa Nuva to the Glatorian), or around a bevy of other parts—the back of the Toa Mata foot, for example. As long as the axle holes are there, the spacing is correct and there are no parts jutting out for the part to collide with, it should clip around parts just fine.

• Upvote 1

I demonstrated Lychir's clip explanation, as I didn't even realize it until he pointed it out, so that y'all could see for yourselves.

1TjheMW.jpg

And this is as low as it goes on a Glatorian head before it slides down off those two axle holes. If you're careful with it it stays on alright and can work as a mask, but as soon as you touch it it'll snap off and go flying. 

mX7zPSd.jpg

Hope that helps!

Edited by Pomegranate
  • Upvote 4

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Now the question is: can pre-2015 masks fit on 2015 heads?

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I mean, if you really wanted to use old masks on new MoCs, you can always just swap the entire heads. It's not going to be visible beneath the mask.

Can the old heads (metru especially) fit on the new bodies, then? The new heads seem to have a different connection to the old.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I mean, if you really wanted to use old masks on new MoCs, you can always just swap the entire heads. It's not going to be visible beneath the mask.

Can the old heads (metru especially) fit on the new bodies, then? The new heads seem to have a different connection to the old.

it's the same connection like the glatorian head, just a ball socket, so you'll need a connector like a metru limb or something.

The new heads just use a standard socket to attach to the torso, just like the Brain Attack & Glatorian heads. The Metru heads, however, attach via a ball, not a ball socket, so you would have to use something like this to attach it to today's HF torsos:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=98565

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

On several sets, like Turaga Lhikan, Kazi, and others that I am too lazy to name, their head consist of just one of those old hand pieces (No idea what they are called. The one with the socket and the axle hole, used as hands prior to 2009). Can it fit on them, since their heads are just one of those things?

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Do they fit on Metru and later (excluding Inika) Toa heads?

No. I mean, they fit, but not against the face. It'd be like if the stud of an older mask was attached to their nose instead of their mouth — too high up, so the eyes don't line up at all.

On several sets, like Turaga Lhikan, Kazi, and others that I am too lazy to name, their head consist of just one of those old hand pieces (No idea what they are called. The one with the socket and the axle hole, used as hands prior to 2009). Can it fit on them, since their heads are just one of those things?

It fits just fine on a Y-joint like that. However, the mask's eyes will be about level with where the previous mask's mouth was, so it won't look quite the same. Might work best if you use both a Y-joint and a CCBS "friction joint".
  • Upvote 2

it's the same connection like the glatorian head, just a ball socket, so you'll need a connector like a metru limb or something.

A better option if you want to put old masks on a new body is to get a few Hero Factory Brain Attack sets. Those head can fit both Metru-style masks and Glatorian helmets. I don't know what to do if you want to put a Mata-style mask on a new body.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

A better option if you want to put old masks on a new body is to get a few Hero Factory Brain Attack sets. Those head can fit both Metru-style masks and Glatorian helmets. I don't know what to do if you want to put a Mata-style mask on a new body.

In that case you just get a Metru head and a HF super-short sockets-on-both-ends joint.

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

In that case you just get a Metru head and a HF super-short sockets-on-both-ends joint.

I would argue that the classic Mata Head/Y-joint combo would be about as efficient for that purpose...

How many of those do you have lying around?

How many of those do you have lying around?

I only have Mata heads and 2 of those joints from my Stormer XL. But I don't exactly own very many Bionicle sets, and I would expect most Bionicle fans who have Mata masks would probably also have Metru heads if they got interested in the theme around that time. As for the weird HF joints, they come in one of the smallest HF 2014 sets (Evo Walker), as well as these sets, so if you don't have one they're not too hard to find.

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

I would argue that the classic Mata Head/Y-joint combo would be about as efficient for that purpose...

True, but doesn't that combo have a bit of a long neck? The Metru-head/H joint combo (I just came up with that name :P) looks like it has less of a long neck. Then again, I only have pictures of Metru heads and I currently own Mata heads so I could be wrong. Whatever the case, I guess you can always come up with some creative way to work around lock neck problems.

Oh, I'd forgotten about these techniques... While the main one shown in the video looks to work pretty well, if you don't have any small rubberbands the second one shown for just a short time works fairly well, too.

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

True, but doesn't that combo have a bit of a long neck? The Metru-head/H joint combo (I just came up with that name :P) looks like it has less of a long neck. Then again, I only have pictures of Metru heads and I currently own Mata heads so I could be wrong. Whatever the case, I guess you can always come up with some creative way to work around lock neck problems.

The neck would be the exact same length both ways, though the Toa Metru head and 3M double ball cup might be easier to work with since it has an additional point of articulation, meaning you could tilt it forward or backward to change how high the head is raised.

• Upvote 1