What to call the new Toa

I'd just call them "the new Toa" or "the 2015 Toa". Or if we're talking specifically about the current continuity, then just "the Toa" will do, because there aren't any other Toa in the new continuity to set them apart from.

I don't see the point of making up an unofficial name when it's even easier to just describe them. How is "Toa Okoto" any clearer than "2015 Toa" or "new Toa"?

• Upvote 3

How is "Toa Okoto" any clearer than "2015 Toa" or "new Toa"?

Peeps might forget later which Toa came in which year exactly, and the latter could apply to next year's Toa etc.

Of course, there might be more Toa on Okoto later too. :P Upsides and downsides to everything, but then there were Toa Mangai on Metru Nui and Toa Metru still worked fine.

Both of your suggestions do have the advantage of being shorter though. Ups and downs.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I still think they can get away with calling them the Toa Mata. It's not hard to come up with a in-story justification for the name. Jaller pointed towards the stars and whipped up Inika. They can just say its the Otokon (and I'm using this as an adjective and adverb) word for "spirit".

Toa Otoko also works. Sounds a bit lengthy though. 

I personally will refer to the 2015 team as Omega Tahu and his chumps. 

How is "Toa Okoto" any clearer than "2015 Toa" or "new Toa"?

Peeps might forget later which Toa came in which year exactly, and the latter could apply to next year's Toa etc.

Doesn't particularly matter until then, though, does it? By the time there are enough Toa in the new BIONICLE to create actual confusion, it's very possible the 2015 ones might have an actual name and we won't have any need to use any kind of made-up name anymore anyway. It seems a bit ridiculous to make up a fan-name just on the off chance that we'll need one a year or so from now.

I'm calling them Toa Okoto for now so when I discuss the Toa of classic BIONICLE with people I can differentiate them instead of just saying "New Toa" or "2015 Toa." Besides, I like the sound of 'Toa Okoto.' It has a nice ring to it.

• Upvote 2

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

I'm calling them Toa Okoto for now so when I discuss the Toa of classic BIONICLE with people I can differentiate them instead of just saying "New Toa" or "2015 Toa." Besides, I like the sound of 'Toa Okoto.' It has a nice ring to it.

It does. When I first heard the name Okoto, my mind just sorta sprang out with "TOA OKOTO". Although Masters I suppose would work as well.

• Upvote 1

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

:smilepohatunu: chimoru2015spinnie.gif

Credit to Click for the awesome Bionicle 2015 spinnie!

I'd just call them "the new Toa" or "the 2015 Toa". Or if we're talking specifically about the current continuity, then just "the Toa" will do, because there aren't any other Toa in the new continuity to set them apart from.

I don't see the point of making up an unofficial name when it's even easier to just describe them. How is "Toa Okoto" any clearer than "2015 Toa" or "new Toa"?

Of course, there might be more Toa on Okoto later too. :P Upsides and downsides to everything, but then there were Toa Mangai on Metru Nui and Toa Metru still worked fine.

Both of your suggestions do have the advantage of being shorter though. Ups and downs.

That's the thing: it doesn't matter what name we come up with here, there's always a possibility that the next year will feature another Toa team with that name. Maybe 2016 will give us the Toa Okoto, maybe it will give us the Toa Masters, maybe even the Toa Newa. I'm guessing TLG is going by 2001 logic here: as long as there are no other Toa teams, we don't need a name to differentiate them.

How about "Omega Mata," or "Omega Nuva?" Facetious as they are, I think they work for fans of the old BIONICLE, in that they acknowledge the connection of the new Toa to their namesakes, whilst still maintaining their separate natures.

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

That's the thing: it doesn't matter what name we come up with here, there's always a possibility that the next year will feature another Toa team with that name. Maybe 2016 will give us the Toa Okoto, maybe it will give us the Toa Masters, maybe even the Toa Newa. I'm guessing TLG is going by 2001 logic here: as long as there are no other Toa teams, we don't need a name to differentiate them.

There are other Toa teams though. The ones from Bionicle-prime(what I'm calling the original Bionicle universe). The unofficial designation of "Toa Okoto" or "Masters" or whatever, would differentiate them better than just "Toa".

• Upvote 1

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

There are other Toa teams though. The ones from Bionicle-prime(what I'm calling the original Bionicle universe). The unofficial designation of "Toa Okoto" or "Masters" or whatever, would differentiate them better than just "Toa".

And what if (just speaking hypothetically) next year introduces a DIFFERENT Toa team and calls them the Toa Okoto? If you need a specific name to refer to the 2015 Toa by, "2015 Toa" is probably the only one that is specific but has no risk of becoming obsolete.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

How about "Omega Mata," or "Omega Nuva?" Facetious as they are, I think they work for fans of the old BIONICLE, in that they acknowledge the connection of the new Toa to their namesakes, whilst still maintaining their separate natures.

I'm really not a fan of the "Omega" terms, honestly. It's an old joke that people have been using for way too long, but it's also very much confusing insider lingo in an era when I feel that we need to be especially open to new fans. Heck, I've even seen old fans who missed the joke and thought that "Omega Tahu" or "Toa Omega" were the actual, official titles. I think that I like Aanchir's solution best, at least until we get an official name.

Edited by Mariko
  • Upvote 3

And what if (just speaking hypothetically) next year introduces a DIFFERENT Toa team and calls them the Toa Okoto? If you need a specific name to refer to the 2015 Toa by, "2015 Toa" is probably the only one that is specific but has no risk of becoming obsolete.

It hardly seems likely that a different Toa Okoto would show up. But if they did, it seems like the fans would make up a new name for the Masters. Although we shouldn't be worrying about a new Toa team at this stage, before we even have the first wave of '15 Bionicle. Also, it's a fan name anyway. :P Obsolete isn't something we have to concern ourselves with.

And what if (just speaking hypothetically) next year introduces a DIFFERENT Toa team and calls them the Toa Okoto?

While that's a slight possibility, let's have a little faith that LEGO's smart enough to realize fans will naturally associate that name more with the first Toa featured on Okoto, yeah? :P It's not likely enough to worry about honestly.

• Upvote 4

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I agree with bonesiii. Toa Okoto will do for now, unless you want to follow BS01's lead and call them Masters.

• Upvote 2

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I agree with bonesiii. Toa Okoto will do for now, unless you want to follow BS01's lead and call them Masters.

Please let's not follow BS01's lead on this. Calling the team page "Masters" was a huge mistake to begin with, and it's immensely frustrating that nobody there is willing to change it.

• Upvote 1

Please let's not follow BS01's lead on this. Calling the team page "Masters" was a huge mistake to begin with, and it's immensely frustrating that nobody there is willing to change it.

I genuinely don't understand your frustration with the term. As I said there, you are lying if you don't think people are going to call them "Master" because that's what the sets are called.

I won't be referring to them as that.

But it's right there in the set names, which are undeniably what all newcomers are going to see first. They will think of them as a "Master," regardless of how generic or nondescript it may be. They are called that (albeit not collectively, oh well... yet).

~|ET|~

Edited by Electric Turahk

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

For now, we don't have any other "toa" in the new series; therefore, for the sake of differentiating from the old franchise, we could call them "Masters of the Elements" or simply "Masters". Perhaps, if the story moves to new characters on a new island, we could call our current heroes the "Masters of Okoto".

At this point in time, I honestly don't think it matters if we have a special name for these characters or not. We should just refer to them as they're called in the story/website/whatever.

-:b::i::m_o::c::r::y:

:I

I genuinely don't understand your frustration with the term. As I said there, you are lying if you don't think people are going to call them "Master" because that's what the sets are called.

I won't be referring to them as that.

But it's right there in the set names, which are undeniably what all newcomers are going to see first. They will think of them as a "Master," regardless of how generic or nondescript it may be. They are called that (albeit not collectively, oh well... yet).

~|ET|~

People calling them that doesn't make it correct. When the first pics of the Toa Nuva showed up, people called them the "Kranohi", even though there was never any story support for that name. And sure, the set names call them "master of *insert element here*", but

• Upvote 1

People calling them that doesn't make it correct. When the first pics of the Toa Nuva showed up, people called them the "Kranohi", even though there was never any story support for that name. And sure, the set names call them "master of *insert element here*", but

OK, we're obviously missing the latter part of your post so I can't know for sure where your argument was going, but I just came on to say that the set names seem pretty important to me. There was never any 'Kranohi Lewa' set, but there is a 'Lewa, Master of Jungle' set. As far as I know the only time there wasn't a very strong link between the name of the set line and the in-story name of the characters themselves was in 2008, when the Phantoka and Mistika were really just Toa Nuva and Makuta fighting one another. But there was still an in-story reason for the terms 'Phantoka' and 'Mistika', so I'm sure there is an in-story reason for the term 'Masters' as well.

OK, we're obviously missing the latter part of your post so I can't know for sure where your argument was going, but I just came on to say that the set names seem pretty important to me. There was never any 'Kranohi Lewa' set, but there is a 'Lewa, Master of Jungle' set. As far as I know the only time there wasn't a very strong link between the name of the set line and the in-story name of the characters themselves was in 2008, when the Phantoka and Mistika were really just Toa Nuva and Makuta fighting one another. But there was still an in-story reason for the terms 'Phantoka' and 'Mistika', so I'm sure there is an in-story reason for the term 'Masters' as well.

Of course there's an in-story reason. And the in-story reason is that they're literally masters of their elements. You know, like EVERY version of those characters has been. Like MOST Toa have been. Assuming it's any more of a team name or species name than "Stars" or "Master Builder Set" is utterly stupid.

Arguably there was even MORE support for "Stars" or "Glatorian Legends" as group names for those sets, since those terms were at least used to refer to the sets collectively, and "Masters" never has been.

What frustrates me most about using the name "Masters" as a team name on the wiki is that it will only serve to mislead more people. If nothing has used "Masters" as a collective name for the group, then the wiki has no business calling them that in any story-related capacity. Otherwise people will assume it IS an actual official team name or species name, rather than a general description we randomly turned into one because we were too stuck in our ways to tolerate Toa being called just "Toa" without any kind of qualifiers.

And if people are going to search for them under the name "Masters", then fine, have a redirect! But don't tell people who search that that it's the correct group name or primary term for these characters. Otherwise we just get more and more people whining about terms like "Toa" being sidelined when they really aren't.

• Upvote 4

Of course there's an in-story reason. And the in-story reason is that they're literally masters of their elements. You know, like EVERY version of those characters has been. Like MOST Toa have been. Assuming it's any more of a team name or species name than "Stars" or "Master Builder Set" is utterly stupid.

Arguably there was even MORE support for "Stars" or "Glatorian Legends" as group names for those sets, since those terms were at least used to refer to the sets collectively, and "Masters" never has been.

What frustrates me most about using the name "Masters" as a team name on the wiki is that it will only serve to mislead more people. If nothing has used "Masters" as a collective name for the group, then the wiki has no business calling them that in any story-related capacity. Otherwise people will assume it IS an actual official team name or species name, rather than a general description we randomly turned into one because we were too stuck in our ways to tolerate Toa being called just "Toa" without any kind of qualifiers.

And if people are going to search for them under the name "Masters", then fine, have a redirect! But don't tell people who search that that it's the correct group name or primary term for these characters. Otherwise we just get more and more people whining about terms like "Toa" being sidelined when they really aren't.

And people back in the day called the Toa Mata "Toa Olda", and possibly some people still do today. I'm all for official terminology, but certain fan terms are not only inevitable in the vernacular, but completely harmless to boot. It's not like anybody made up a term (I refer you to "Kratana", "Fohrok", etc.), and moreover it's a term specifically used and present in the vocabulary as we've seen it.

The website actually uses "heroes" more frequently than it does either Toa or Master, and while this could easily be a reference to Toa meaning hero in Gen1, the greater likelihood is that it's just a word. Just like Master is, just like Toa is. We don't know how any of these terms are going to be used going forward, so rather than use a term in a way that is, whether people like it or not, already weighed down with a previous definition, I think using a neutral term is a lot more effective, and one that can be changed in the future with minimal fuss.

• Upvote 3

Toa Newva

Dang it, you beat me to it! That's what I've been calling them, too. They are the new Toa Nuva, so of course they are the Toa Newva.

Didn't people already use that term in 2008 for that exact reason? Besides, the new Toa aren't in their Nuva forms, and possibly never will be.

~B~

Edited by Ballom
  • Upvote 3

Toa Newva

Dang it, you beat me to it! That's what I've been calling them, too. They are the new Toa Nuva, so of course they are the Toa Newva.

Didn't people already use that term in 2008 for that exact reason? Besides, the new Toa aren't in their Nuva forms, and possibly never will be.

~B~

Hopefully never will be. This is a reboot, but it doesn't have to stay within the same guidelines of "New Toa, transformed new Toa" year after year. Shake it up a bit, eh?

I can't think of calling them anything but the Toa Mata. Toa Okoto could work, too, but names are hard to change.

It technically isn't a change. These aren't the Toa Mata; this is evident not just in the fact that Lego confirmed that this is a rebooted universe, but the characters themselves are fundamentally different. (I'm looking at you, Kopaka)

I can't think of calling them anything but the Toa Mata. Toa Okoto could work, too, but names are hard to change.

It technically isn't a change. These aren't the Toa Mata; this is evident not just in the fact that Lego confirmed that this is a rebooted universe, but the characters themselves are fundamentally different. (I'm looking at you, Kopaka)

*sighs internally*

I am aware of that already. I was in fact talking about that they have the same names as before, meaning that I can't really associate the name "Tahu" with anything other than "Toa Mata".

• Upvote 3

Toa Okoto or Toa Masters are the most logical and immediate and thus I believe simplest answers to this question. A lot of other options would either be unambiguous, confusing or not add clarity to their classification - the whole point of having a name. :P This could change in future though depending on any possible future Toa/Masters. But for now I think either of those terms suffice. Toa Okoto is nicer personally since it fits with other naming conventions nicely. :)

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

Why change the word toa?

What's wrong with it?

It's a great thing. I can't remember the last time I saw a universe where places had an alien, yet understandable language.(Edit: I really need to re-read my stuff.)

More universes need to do this.

Actually, I'd be pretty depressed If they threw away the "toa" name.

They're calling the villages "kotos" aren't they? Right...? Right.......? :(

I'm happy with any termination, y'know... :begging:

Edited by TheCleanser

Why change the word toa?

What's wrong with it?

It's a great thing. I can't remember the last time I saw a universe where places had an alien, yet understandable language.(Edit: I really need to re-read my stuff.)

More universes need to do this.

Actually, I'd be pretty depressed If they threw away the "toa" name.

They're calling the villages "kotos" aren't they? Right...? Right.......? :(

I'm happy with any termination, y'know... :begging:

Nobody is throwing away the word Toa. Not the LEGO Group, and not the fans. There is no need to worry.

This topic is just about people trying to come up with a nickname for the 2015 sets, which seems a little unnecessary to me, but is harmless as long as none of the proposed nicknames are misconstrued as official. Currently, the new Toa are just called "Toa", same as the Toa Mata were back in 2001 when there were no other Toa to differentiate them from.

• Upvote 1