The Masters crash-landed?

It would be so awesome if these new Toa were actually from the Mataverse and need to get back to their own dimension. That way it could be a reboot AND a continuation. 

Sadly, it's extremely unlikely that this is the case. We can dream.... ;(

Who's "we"?

• Upvote 2
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

I actually thought that that would be the case for a while, when TTV said it was a soft reboot.

How does this reboot even compare to Star Trek reboots... I never watched any of those.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

It's a shame that people cannot accept that the amazing story that we were given from 01-10 is being respected and left alone, and these new figures are part of a complete reboot. Unless LEGO are lying to us or covering us, these Toa are not from the Spherus Magna Universe. Sorry.

There seems to be enough evidence that the Toa crash-landed via the stills and the card. I think Ekimu somehow summons them when he knocks the Mask of Ultimate Power from Makuta's face. Something like that perhaps?

• Upvote 4

index.jpg

Twitter: @enkindle_this

I actually thought that that would be the case for a while, when TTV said it was a soft reboot.

How does this reboot even compare to Star Trek reboots... I never watched any of those.

The Star Trek reboots featured an older Spock from the original series travelling back in time to help his younger self stop another time-travelling foe, and by changing the past it started an essentially new continuity. But it's really not clear from when the designers agreed that it was like that whether they meant it was similar in terms of "classic characters travelling back in time/to a new universe to start a new continuity" or whether they just meant it was similar in terms of "classic characters portrayed differently and classic stories retold differently". The former would suggest a soft reboot of some variety (with the new continuity tied to the old), while the latter would be a more typical "hard" reboot. Because of the way TTV phrased their question, it could go either way. Personally I'm hoping for a hard reboot... the old story has been told and I'd rather the new one be able to proceed independently of the original.

• Upvote 6

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I'm definitely in the camp that would prefer no ties to the original story. The first BIONICLE Universe got a little to crowded for my taste - too many characters, alternate universes, and ongoing story arcs of which to keep track. On the other hand, I love the imagination and theorizing going on in this thread and elsewhere, so I also hope that we'll get another complex story with a web of interlocking clues to keep us occupied in the stretches between story updates.

I went to the con and got several of these little leaflets with the possibly misspelled island name and the information that the Toa crashed there. But I also have a foggy recollection of being under the impression that the Protectors "choosing" the Toa from the villagers. It raises the question, what made these characters Toa? Their elemental powers aren't innate anymore, but rather, those are their mask powers. Could any of the other villagers pick up the Mask of Fire and become the Toa of Fire? Ekimu and Makuta made many masks for the villagers, which I assume means more than six. How many Toa and Masters of the Elements are running around this island? And how is it spelled?

I wonder if the Protectors will have mask powers, then. I liked the old great mask/noble mask hierarchy, and I wish that the Toa Metru's masks had been more markedly different from the Turaga's. Matau was the only one whose mask was noticeable more powerful as a Toa, which is how I think it should be.

• Upvote 1

I'm definitely in the camp that would prefer no ties to the original story. The first BIONICLE Universe got a little to crowded for my taste - too many characters, alternate universes, and ongoing story arcs of which to keep track. On the other hand, I love the imagination and theorizing going on in this thread and elsewhere, so I also hope that we'll get another complex story with a web of interlocking clues to keep us occupied in the stretches between story updates.

I went to the con and got several of these little leaflets with the possibly misspelled island name and the information that the Toa crashed there. But I also have a foggy recollection of being under the impression that the Protectors "choosing" the Toa from the villagers. It raises the question, what made these characters Toa? Their elemental powers aren't innate anymore, but rather, those are their mask powers. Could any of the other villagers pick up the Mask of Fire and become the Toa of Fire? Ekimu and Makuta made many masks for the villagers, which I assume means more than six. How many Toa and Masters of the Elements are running around this island? And how is it spelled?

I wonder if the Protectors will have mask powers, then. I liked the old great mask/noble mask hierarchy, and I wish that the Toa Metru's masks had been more markedly different from the Turaga's. Matau was the only one whose mask was noticeable more powerful as a Toa, which is how I think it should be.

Actually, about half of of them were more powerful. The Ruru could cast light for all to see in darkness, rather than just letting the wearer see, and the Rau allowed the user to translate spoken language (even that of animals!) instead of just written language. The others were much less interesting, just making their powers capable of lasting longer (and the Huna notably maintained the noble version's biggest flaw, that being the fact that shadows would still be cast and footsteps were just as audible).

I don't know if Noble masks will be necessary in the new story, seeing as it seems that even the Great Masks only afford enhanced elemental power. And the Protectors could easily just be given weaker elemental powers as one of their abilities, eliminating the need for a mask to do that. Personally I'm actually a little pleased that the new story might have "powerless" masks which differ in design from Masks of Power, instead of being like the old story which had Matoran masks resemble Great and Noble masks (the justification for which meant that any mask could resemble any other mask, which sort of undercut the unique designs for the masks a little).

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Actually, about half of of them were more powerful. The Ruru could cast light for all to see in darkness, rather than just letting the wearer see, and the Rau allowed the user to translate spoken language (even that of animals!) instead of just written language. The others were much less interesting, just making their powers capable of lasting longer (and the Huna notably maintained the noble version's biggest flaw, that being the fact that shadows would still be cast and footsteps were just as audible).

I don't know if Noble masks will be necessary in the new story, seeing as it seems that even the Great Masks only afford enhanced elemental power. And the Protectors could easily just be given weaker elemental powers as one of their abilities, eliminating the need for a mask to do that. Personally I'm actually a little pleased that the new story might have "powerless" masks which differ in design from Masks of Power, instead of being like the old story which had Matoran masks resemble Great and Noble masks (the justification for which meant that any mask could resemble any other mask, which sort of undercut the unique designs for the masks a little).

Ah, that's right. And mind-control was overpowered to begin with - makes translation seem a little pathetic in comparison, even among Turaga.

Where did you hear about enhancing masks? I was under the assumption that the masks are what grant the Toa their elemental powers to begin with. At first I assumed we were going to have the 2003 Takanuva story arc times six, with a group of villagers seeking out or stumbling across or being given the six great masks.

But if they crashed onto Okoto, did they already have their masks to begin with? And if so, how did masks presumably made by Ekimu wind up in space, only to crash back down again? The legend of the maskmakers sounds like it took place before any other major events in the new storyline...

But if they crashed onto Okoto, did they already have their masks to begin with? And if so, how did masks presumably made by Ekimu wind up in space, only to crash back down again? The legend of the maskmakers sounds like it took place before any other major events in the new storyline...

Good questions indeed. Some of the best I've seen so far. Mind if I put this in the first post?

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

The Toa Okoto were summoned, called down by (insert storyline justification here). Having control of their respective elements, they must now seek out the Golden Masks or Power to both strengthen themselves and keep them out of the Makuta's hands. Once appropriately empowered, they can face the possessed Makuta on equal footing and restore him to the side of Neutral.

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

• 2 weeks later...

Quick tangent: just about (not touching) religion;

Ekimu sounded really familiar to me, but a quick google search "Chaldean spirit ranking beneath the angels of heaven and earth"; I doubt this is intentional but it might have been.

Regardless, If Ekimu "summoned" them somehow I wonder if there is any chance that Makuta could do the same (sooner rather than later), although I suspect we won't see that until after Skull Spiders - which actually look pretty cool IMHO :3

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Ekimu sounded really familiar to me, but a quick google search "Chaldean spirit ranking beneath the angels of heaven and earth"; I doubt this is intentional but it might have been.

I think that's 'Edimmu', and in any case Sumerian (=Chaldean) culture was more or less replaced by Akkadian culture four thousand years ago so I don't think TLG is worried about hurting the feelings of any ancient Mesopotamian people :)

• Upvote 1

The Toa Okoto were summoned, called down by (insert storyline justification here). Having control of their respective elements, they must now seek out the Golden Masks or Power to both strengthen themselves and keep them out of the Makuta's hands. Once appropriately empowered, they can face the possessed Makuta on equal footing and restore him to the side of Neutral.

You seem to forget that Makuta is also in eternal slumber right now, same as Ekimu. At least, thats what I remember from watching the video. I was under the assumption that Makuta wasn't the main villian at the moment, though through his actions he caused the problem that begins the new story.

• Upvote 1

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

Anyway, I remember this from being on a *big* poster at the event. Can't remember which Twitter stream I found it on, but it was there somewhere. So, legit.

I'm quite curious about the "summoning" image. That should be pretty early on into the animations, though, so we should know before too long.

• Upvote 1
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

@ ~The 1st Shadow, go ahead, I don't mind at all. :)

@ Regitnui and Iblis616, I expect to see something akin to Lord Garmadon's reformation wherein Makuta is awakened and reformed. Perhaps he will even be resurrected before Ekimu is, in which case he might be able to act as an elder and adviser to the Toa.

In fact, who is to say that Makuta is not responsible for summoning the Toa? I admit that he's a less likely candidate than the Protectors, but it's possible that he, or some part of him, is awake, and acting to mend the damage he caused. Or our assumptions are correct and he's still corrupted by the Mask of Ultimate Power, in which case he might summon the Toa so that he can dispose of them before taking over the island, or so that they can lead him to one of the Great Masks.

Another possibility occurs to me: what if the Toa were summoned by the fallout between the two brothers? What indicator do we have that Ekimu and Makuta fell asleep recently? It could be that the loss of the Mask Makers triggered a failsafe that summoned the Toa immediately after.

Or it might be a reaction to something the Lord of the Skull Spiders did. Has he found the Mask of Creation? Or could the Toa have been summoned when the Lord of the Skull Spiders seized the golden Skull Mask included in his set?

Endless possibilities...

• Upvote 1

The Toa crash-landing on Okoto reminds me of the arrival of the Toa in their canisters back in 2001. (Or at least what I saw in the Legend of Mata Nui cutscene I watched a long time ago.)

Edited by Shadow Destroyer
  • Upvote 1

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

The Toa crash-landing on Okoto reminds me of the arrival of the Toa in their canisters back in 2001. (Or at least what I saw in the Legend of Mata Nui cutscene I watched a long time ago.)

I'm pretty sure that's the whole point.

• Upvote 4

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I have come to a major conclusion.

We are going to witness a war.

Oh, no war between the Masters Toa or whatever they be called and Makuta. *COUCHLORDOFSKULLSPIDERSCOUCH* It's a war spanning the multiverse, taking every other version of the characters and pitting them to fight and in the end, only one will win. And I think it's going to be the Canon one, honestly.

What, Crisis on Infinite Worlds Bionicle-style? I doubt it, because that's not a reboot, that's an ending.

• Upvote 2

I'm pretty sure that's the whole point.

Yes, I noticed that. Thank you for clarifying.

Edited by Shadow Destroyer

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles