Possible storyline conections

Many seem to think that the new Bionicle story is almost unconnected to the original, but I think that there might be two possibilities.

for easy reference I'll call the mask maker Makuta  Laridax or Larry

1. prequel

From the wiki: "The Toa Mata were created by Artakha over 100,000 years ago on daxia ... After a series of adventures in Karda Nui, they were put into Toa Canisters,..." The rest is history.

100,000 years is plenty of time for an adventure on Otoko, which could be in one of the unexplored southern island chains(or even just plain destroyed by the time of the original story).

Also, in the original tribal story(Gathered friends, listen again to our legend...) Mata-Nui and Terry were brothers.  This is because of there origin from the great beings.  One could conclude that any Makuta's brother is a creation of the great beings.  Therefore Ekimu, stated as Larry's brother is a direct creation of the great beings.  Ekimu, makes masks of raw elemental power, which was rare in the original story.  Some of the only were the masks of light and shadows, made by Artahka.  Also, Ekimu and Artakha are the only two known wearers of the mask of creation.  This makes it likely that Ekimu has some relation to, or is Artakha.

2. sequel

Teridax has been defeated, the matoran are now living on sphereus magna.  On a peaceful, remote island somewhere in the sea(possibly a bara magna mountain top turned to an island when aqua magna returned, think Zelda windwaker) Ekimu, (the heir of) Artahka is making masks for the viligers (confirmed not matoron, possibly agori),with help from Larry. Larry plots betrayal like Terry before him, and the Toa Nuva are called in to help, outfitted with new element enhancing masks.

We all know how much the Bionicle story team likes secrets and big reveals, this seems like the kind of thing they would do. 

What do you think?

Good theories:

Edited by BioSlayer

My lego.com name is frodobaggins29, And I am bioslayer on eurobricks.
I am a Lego Brand Retail employee.

I think this should probably go in Storyline & Theories. :)

As for a connection, this is a reboot and most likely will not have any connections to the original Bionicle universe. Both suggestions would involve giving information about the previous lore which LEGO is trying to avoid so that the line will be more accessible. 

However, with the whole completing-the-Vahi plotpoint I can definitely say I wouldn't be surprised if the big twist of this generation was a connection to the old universe. I'm not counting on it though.

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Woops, I haven't posted here in a while.  As for the complexity issue, the entire connection might just be given as "unessential" background information.  The time travel angel could be interesting.  Also, I find it Ironic that the wearer of the mask of control (Larry) gets controlled by a mask(ultimate power).  Unless Larry actually is Terry, and the mask of control kept HIM controlled!

My lego.com name is frodobaggins29, And I am bioslayer on eurobricks.
I am a Lego Brand Retail employee.

Yes I can agree with the "unessential" background information part. When we were still debating whether this would be a reboot or continuation, I did support the idea of pursuing the latter but dropping terms and previous story events to make it more comprehensible to a new audience. 

I think a lot of people assume a connection to the older storyline would instantly mean having to reexplain everything, which is very untrue. You can still do it while maintaining simplicity to the target audience. Expanded story materials for older fans could always be developed elsewhere (like what they had did with BionicleStory.com).

However, since the new team is pretty serious about starting with a clean slate and dropping many of the original series concepts while retaining the bare essentials, I definitely doubt that they are aiming for a connection.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

There is another character called Makuta, therefore it's a 100% reboot. Spherus Magnans would never reuse that name after Teridax disgraced it.

As much as I wish that wasn't true, that's simply how it is.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

It was said, flat-out, that it was a reboot.

That being said, I do think it is possible that they will have some connection with the previous universe, probably the whole Vahi thing. (TTV says that people were... hinting to things.)

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Sorry, but no.

To specifics:

1. prequel

From the wiki: "The Toa Mata were created by Artakha over 100,000 years ago on daxia ... After a series of adventures in Karda Nui, they were put into Toa Canisters,..." The rest is history.

100,000 years is plenty of time for an adventure on Otoko

Your own paragraph just before the final sentence here disproves this, as they were made on Daxia, went right to Karda Nui, and then slept in the canisters for 100,000 years. No time for an adventure on any island named Okoto in the old continuity (and Artakha owns the Mask of Creation there, the Toa Mata don't look like that, etc.).

which could be in one of the unexplored southern island chains(or even just plain destroyed by the time of the original story).

Also, in the original tribal story(Gathered friends, listen again to our legend...) Mata-Nui and Terry were brothers.  This is because of there origin from the great beings.  One could conclude that any Makuta's brother is a creation of the great beings.  Therefore Ekimu, stated as Larry's brother is a direct creation of the great beings.  Ekimu, makes masks of raw elemental power, which was rare in the original story.  Some of the only were the masks of light and shadows, made by Artahka.  Also, Ekimu and Artakha are the only two known wearers of the mask of creation.  This makes it likely that Ekimu has some relation to, or is Artakha.

The southern islands were uninhabited, and while your 'brother' reasoning could have worked, the Ekimu/Artakha thing actually disproves it being in the same continuity; it doesn't help. Also, elemental masks weren't necessarily rare, at least not in the sense of being valuable or requiring some special maskmaker. Disks of elemental power were owned by the Toa Metru and could have been made into masks had Vakama wanted to, but they saw no need to do so since they had elemental power themselves. And more could be mixed at any time by anybody, presuming they knew the combination.

2. sequel

Teridax has been defeated, the matoran are now living on sphereus magna.  On a peaceful, remote island somewhere in the sea(possibly a bara magna mountain top turned to an island when aqua magna returned, think Zelda windwaker) Ekimu, (the heir of) Artahka is making masks for the viligers (confirmed not matoron, possibly agori),with help from Larry. Larry plots betrayal like Terry before him, and the Toa Nuva are called in to help, outfitted with new element enhancing masks.

As I have said before, it's true that something like this is possible given the story details we've seen, and if it's fun for you to imagine it that way (or the previous way for that matter), as headcanon or whatever, more power to you -- but it's still disproven as what LEGO has in mind by the Greg quote linked at the start of this post. Also, unless somehow it's Miserix it's highly unlikely there would be another Makuta in an old-canon sequel (and you'd think they'd just call him Miserix, not Makuta, since that title used alone as a name was so widely recognized as referring to Teridax).

The bottom line here is, fans shouldn't be trying to connect the old continuity with the old one. There are far more relevant things to have theories about, and it isn't really fair to either to try to force such a connection. Let the old be the old and the new be the new. :) (Now if LEGO does want to show how the continuities are related in some way as different timelines, that would be reasonable, but they certainly do not have to.)

So, sorry, but... Topic closed. :)

• Upvote 3

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)