Canisters

Got_It_Made43

I am incredibly excited that Bionicle is back and everything but there was one thing that disappointed me and that is the boxes over canisters.  Honestly one of the coolest things about Bionicles was the collectible canisters.  Obviously this is at least better than the bags that Hero Factory was being sold in but still.  Is anyone else disappointed about this?

Droid-does-or-Motorola-Droid-250x100.jpg

Bionerd43 1+5+6+34=15634

IF you like the BOSTON CELTICS BASKETBALL TEAM or the INDIANAPOLIS COLTS FOOTBALL TEAM PM me.

Ussal Crab Club member!! Oh SO Very Crabby

No. I'm not. Canisters were OK for their time but I have all the canisters I'll ever need and will be quite happy if BIONICLE never has canisters again.

I'm not sure what to think about the new cardboard packaging. It will be hard for it to live up to the amazing efficiency of the Hero Factory pouches. Never has there been any other LEGO package that can be collapsed completely flat or to the size of its contents, and then still be used for storage indefinitely. The closest it's ever come is cardboard boxes, which can generally be EITHER collapsed OR reused, but not both. Also, I've found that the pouches are often more durable than cardboard boxes, from my experience. I haven't had any issues with the beautiful graphics of my Hero Factory pouches getting beat up or worn away through repeated use or transportation.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 5

Canisters had their day. It's time to move into a day and age where we at least try being a little easier on the planet.

Plus, boxes are simply dominant in every way (for me). I don't see any serious advantages with canisters. People just need to let go. They were fine when we had them, but it's their time to step aside.

• Upvote 1

I will miss the canisters in a way. I always liked to use them to store the sets that I purchased them in. But as others have said, their time has come and gone. And besides, if I keep the box, I may be able to sell it for a profit years from now. :P 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Based off that image that was shown in the presentation, they seem to look similar to the chima speedorz packaging we got this year, which I thought was pretty decent. I'm not sure if you'll be able to fit a built figure into them though.

Anyway, I did love the canisters. But I think they only really worked because they were involved in the story at first; as toa canisters, suvas, matoran spheres, stasis chambers, etc. However once we got to 2006 (and some of the 'creative' canister designs), they started becoming a little questionable. Not only this, but they were must have been pretty expensive to produce and not to mention hardly eco-friendly compared to plain, size efficient boxes.

The foil bags were good too, in that they were easy to store, space and price efficient. However, it produced often badly malformed sticker sheets, instruction manuals and sometimes pieces, if they were flexible.

So in my opinion, boxes are the optimal solution. 

Canisters made sense during the '01 line because the Toa arrived in them. From there on out, it would have been better to just ues boxes.

So, it depends on if they're resurrecting the canister idea in the story or not. If not, I can do away with them. 

bZpOwEr

I am incredibly excited that Bionicle is back and everything but there was one thing that disappointed me and that is the boxes over canisters.  Honestly one of the coolest things about Bionicles was the collectible canisters.  Obviously this is at least better than the bags that Hero Factory was being sold in but still.  Is anyone else disappointed about this?

I think both the Bionicle canisters & HF pouches were great. But these cardboard boxes are really nice. Judging by the little flap on the end of the boxes, apparently they are opened from the bottom and can be reclosed/opened. Not sure if you could flatten them and then unflatten them, though. While canisters were nice, beyond the story purposes and functions which had pretty much disappeared by 2007, the canisters were pointless. The HF pouches could be flattened to the thickness of a few pieces of paper stacked on top of each other, yet could still be opened and used to carry the model... often without even having to detach the arms. (Which you almost always had to do to get a finished figure into a canister.) As for how the cardboard Speedorz-ish boxes compare to the pouches, we won't know for sure until one of us gets our hands on one, but they look to be more eco-friendly than the canisters and easier to recycle than the pouches. (Of course, Lego can never be fully eco-friendly, since they make ABS plastic toys. :P)

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator
  • Upvote 2

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

As someone who really enjoyed the early canisters for their storing gimmicks (Especially the awesome Bohrok canister that let you hang the Bohrok from the top), I much prefer being environmentally friendly with bags or boxes. This planet is already falling into ruin, the least we can do it not speed up that process. 

I have a fondness for canisters, but I'm so happy not to collect them going forth. They take up SO MUCH storage space and I don't like tossing them in the garbage because of their collectibility.

As for the new packaging, it looks similar to the current Chima Speedorz; thin cardboard with angled panels for a unique shape. While it'll be neat to have a cool package design, I can see myself putting non-Toa boxes straight into the recycling bin.

It will be hard for it to live up to the amazing efficiency of the Hero Factory pouches. Never has there been any other LEGO package that can be collapsed completely flat or to the size of its contents, and then still be used for storage indefinitely.

I agree fully! It's a long shot, but I hope that once Bionicle gets on its feet and separates itself from Hero Factory, maybe we could see a return to foil pouches.
[ blog ] onuanutbannermnolgstyle.jpg  [ Flickr ]

Canisters were amazing and I love the satisfaction of looking at all of them lined up on shelves.

But please oh please don't make me have to find space for them again! I don't know what I'd do. :(

They had their place and it was great, but things definitely got weird at the end. There's better alternatives, both for space and environmentally, and I'm glad to see LEGO moving forward in that regard.

~|ET|~

• Upvote 1

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

I liked the canisters. I have a whole bin full of canisters from 2004 to 2010. If the new ones are gonna use cardboard, let's make it strong cardboard, huh?

Strong cardboard would definitely be preferable. After all, if it's breaking then it's not doing a good job of what it was made to do.  :P

• Upvote 1

From the picture I saw out of the NYCC slideshow, the boxes appear to use interlocking tabs. I like it because it appears I can collapse them to gawk at the packaging art. 

They could be difficult to reassemble and put all the pieces back in them, though. They look like you would have to disassemble to put them back in, which could be a pain.

Yeah canisters were awesome! Awful for the environment and overall storage but it still was a big part of Bionicle. Especially since the earlier canisters were actually part of the story itself, which I found awesome.

But they got too big. Give us 6 Hordika-sized canisters and I'll be alright but another 6 Inika ones and I'm going to be overwhelmed. Boxes are a better alternative. (I am actually kind of disappointed that we aren't getting bags like HF)

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Like people have already said, cardboard boxes are better for the environment, but also I think if LEGO brought back canisters, but they take up way too much space if you're looking to buy 'em all (or at least try to), and it would probably bring the prices of the sets up as-well, due to the extra plastic needed to make one. LEGO is already relatively expensive, so yeah. Boxes FTW.

Edited by PlatinumApple

*INSERT WITTY COMMENT HERE* chimoru2015spinnie.gif

(Credit to Click for the Bionicle 2015 spinnie!)

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I prefer (predominantly) cardboard packaging, partly for the environment & partly because I live in a studio-unit so storage space is always an object. I loved the canisters that the: Toa Mata, Bohrok, Toa Nuva, Rahkshi, Toa Metru, & Toa Hordika, came in. I also liked the: Vahki, Visorak & Barraki canisters. But cardboard packaging isn't bad!

But If they have them made out of a cardboard of a decent thickness they should be great - as it is with the size of the 2015 Toa I don't really see them folding up into something nice and compact - & I don't think that should have been a a high priority either.

I just hope they aren't too flimsy! :]

& Bryce, whilst I don't have them anymore :[ I managed to remove all the Labels on the Bohrok canisters under warm water & detergent (some of the glue was just to uncooperative) Those canisters always seemed a bit taller than necessary anyway...

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

What I am about to say is fact.

Years ago, my father was still employed at a company that sold bottles, cans, and caps to various other companies. The company my father worked for was sort of a midway between one company that manufactured a bottle and another that bought the bottle.

Briefly in late 2002, my father worked with LEGO's bottle supply company, selling the canisters for the newly released Toa Nuva. Surprisingly, the canister itself was one of the largest expenses for each set to be produced. Sorry, but I don't have exact numbers.

In 2013, when I told my mother (who still works at the same company, but in a different department) that LEGO switched to plastic bags for the Hero Factory line, she was not surprised. She told me that the containers were very expensive nowadays with the economic downturn. 

In light of this, I always wonder if just the expenses for producing the sets was a factor in LEGO discontinuing the line in 2010, but why did the canisters continue to be used until the end of 2011? We may never know...

• Upvote 1

my favorite canisters were the rakshi ones. i had all six and i folded the rakshi up, put them in and had makuta walk around then the rakshi would burst out. i felt so cool. :D

wearewaiting.gif

As long as there is one bionicle fan out there there is still hope for bionicle to return. Keep faith. Bionicle is amazing.