College Applications

Hello Everyone. The reason I am starting this is topic is due to the fact I need advice and help in filling out College Apps.

Im currently a senior and it's that time of year where college apps are open. so a few quick Qs:

What was your experience filling out college apps?

Any advice? Was/is it scary?

Should I be stressing over it? (is it normal to stress out over college apps?)

How is college?  :P 

Master of Lehrak

lerahk.gif

I was very lucky in the process that I had a clear view of where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do from about sophomore year on. Still, I've applied to various places, and in the process I've found a few things - mainly that every college is different. Everyone talks about the Common Application and while yes, it is quite common, a) not every school uses it, and b) most schools want something in addition to the Common App.

As far as general advice goes, I am going to study music composition and have been homeschooled for a majority of my academic career, so I'm not sure how much my advice is applicable to anyone else but if anyone is in one (or either) of these boats ...

Music

Music schools generally come into to major categories: there are Schools of Music at liberal-arts colleges, which require a lot of general education courses, and then there are conservatories, where the general-ed is kept to a bare minimum. Generally speaking, conservatories have more prestige, which comes from more opportunities for performance and having guest artists and a whole bunch of different factors.

In addition to getting into the school from an academic perspective, auditions play a huge role. For performers, this generally means tackling something difficult for your instrument, but for composition it gets much, much more dicy. Most schools require all music students to be keyboard proficient, meaning that whether or not the piano is your primary instrument, you can play it with some decency if not fluency. For aspiring composers, some programs have made it so that your compositions alone determine whether or not you get in, while some require a keyboard proficiency test beyond that. A few (such as one that I'm applying to locally) require all composers to be as good on the piano as aspiring piano students, which seems really bizarre to me. (I can meet those requirements, so I guess I'm more against it on principle.)

Homeschool

As far as attacking the homeschool angle, this one is a lot more difficult and requires a lot of thorough and meticulous detailing of everything you've ever learned, whether at home or through dual enrollment in a local community college or online classes at another university or extracurricular activities. Basically, college admissions people want to have all their bases covered in case their school's accreditation gets audited; if an audit occurs and they pull out your file and they realize that you were improperly admitted, the college gets in trouble and many folks in admissions are either admonished or fired. If you go to a school, you don't have to worry about your transcript - but homeschoolers do.

Add into this the general perception of homeschoolers (at least in the South): that homeschoolers are socially inept, sheltered bunch of freaks who are being homeschooled because of their parents' personal beliefs and views. This is, sad to say, not altogether inaccurate; as the president of my honor society I can say for certain that there are more controlling parents in the homeschool community than I've ever run into elsewhere. It's the reason that the honor society is so small, and the reason that I've always mention my education with the caveat of having taken a plethora of college courses - people assume otherwise if leave it at just "being homeschooled."

This is probably different in other parts of the country (let alone the world), but for my particular situation it leaves for a dicy scenario. Your transcript has to be completely extensive, consistent, and thorough, including everything you've done from the beginning of high school until your senior year. Books, course descriptions, extracurriculars ... quite literally everything about you should be in this transcript. It has to be this way to make everything nice and neat in the admissions office partially because of the bias I mentioned, but also because "regular" high schools have proven themselves in their grading systems and methodology. There is no way to know if any grades you earned while homeschooling were real, and so admissions has to cover their tracks.

Some schools will let you in on a more lenient basis, a few (Duke comes to mind) don't like you as much if you're homeschooled. However, most schools are fairly reasonable and will let you in if your transcript is acceptable.

If anyone would like any advice on homeschool transcript creation, feel free to send me a PM. My dad and I worked very hard making the document airtight and there's a lot of stuff I couldn't really cover in this post about the process.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Hehe, I'm applying to college this year too. :P

Out of curiosity, would mentioning Bionicle/Lego anywhere on college apps be a good idea, or would colleges see it as too nerdy/kiddy?

Only if it's relevant to the app. I wrote my additional essay for my university about LEGO or something and well, I got in. :P Of course that's not the only thing that they based their decision on but it didn't hurt. But yeah my advice would be not to go mentioning it around casually unless it's like a super serious hobby and you've sent MOCs to conventions and stuff.

I'm going through the same process, and I am already accepted into one! Really, dont stress yourself too much. Most of it is simply filling in basic info, but you need to give essays, if they require any, a bit of thought. Keep making drafts, have other people edit it, and above all, be honest. The people who read them read hundreds of essays, and they can tell if you're lying or had someone else write it. When writing, make sure you stay within ten percent of the word limit, if they say you can go slightly over.

Also, dont think colleges wont look in your social media, so make sure there is nothing on there that you dont want them to see.

Some colleges want recommendations, so make sure you ask whoever you want a recommendation from well in advance, tell them when it is due by, and tell them face to face if possible.

One more thing, visit the campus if you can. Colleges are more interested in you if you show a strong interest in their school. Also, you get to know what you are applying for a bit more.

In all, apply to about 6 schools. Some should be reach schools, and some should be easy back up schools, but dont apply to a place you cant see yourself going to. Good luck!

keetkiril.gifqSvBogp.jpgkeetkiril.gif

First off: good on you for pursuing a college career!

Yes, it is normal to be stressing out  and worried over college applications. It's the doorway to the next big step in your life, after all! But don't feel pushed to get into the biggest or best colleges. I got accepted into "The Harvard of the West" but I ended going up to a smaller college closer to home, partially because I wouldn't be able to pay the huge cost, partially because I wanted to be closer to family. I don't regret my decision; The people I work with are amazing, and I'll be leaving college with a lot less debt than I would have if I had gone to a larger school.

When applying, take a really good look at the campus, especially the department you plan on majoring in. Are the people friendly? are the dorms nice? When they give you your yearly estimate for paying, what are the different areas being paid for (I.e. housing/food, tuition, books, transportation, ect...) Are the houses around campus nice, should you choose to move off-campus your junior/senior year? Does the department provide everything you need for your degree? What kind of extra activities do they have, or help looking for a career when your graduate? Is there a grad school for your field? What about the town? are there part-time opportunities? what about local stores? is there easy access to a wal-mart or something similar? What about the FOOD? (This is a big one) is it good? Are there a lot of options? Does the meal plan cover most of the term? (This is important; you're eating this stuff for the next 2-4 years, so you better like it. Or learn to make really good sandwiches.)

Do you prefer larger classes, or smaller? That can have a huge impact on where you apply. Speaking from experience, I prefer smaller classes-it's easier to connect with people on missing homework or group assignments, and I feel like I could actually talk to the teacher if I have a problem with an assignment. (And I do on several occasions) Smaller campuses are also easier to get across in a hurry. :)

I know this is a lot to look for when applying, but this is the next four years of your life. Planning ahead doesn't hurt.

As for the applications themselves; They're relatively standard. Keep an eye out for any little extra requirements, and have original essays for each one. (they can be similar, but don't have a cut-and-paste one; the essay for one app may not have the same requirements as one for another.) Community service and extracurricular activities can really boost your application. It doesn't have to be sports, either; my brother worked on a narrow-gauge railroad as a volunteer, and I helped out at VBS every summer.

SCHOLARSHIPS. I can never stress enough how important these are. Apply for every. single. one. I'm serious. Every scholarship you qualify for, apply for it. These little lifesavers will keep your debt low, and save you years of stress when you get out of college and into the real world. Keep track of the due dates, and apply for them all, even if it seems early. You won't regret it.

As for college itself...

I enjoy it. Like I said above, I ended up going to a smaller public college, and I don't regret it, for the most part. I get to work with some of the most amazing actors I have ever known, and I have finally found some crazy friends with similar interests. I have a great job as a theatre technician, even though it makes me want to pull my hair out sometimes. It can be intimidating at first, but after you make some friends, they're friends for life. It's different from high school, but in a lot of good ways. For instance, I actually enjoy going to class now.

I could go on and on, but I'll save the Bonseii-length article for a blog post on another day. (If I haven't reached the quota already...)

• Upvote 1

Defy Expectations

@Lipoleuurodon

Haha I feel you dude! :P

@TruagaofVirtues

Really? What school did you get into? (If you don't mind sharing)  :o   How was it filling out the Apps?  I do tend to stay off my social media, checking it once in a while.

@Jalina T.T

Thank you!  :)  How was it when you were filling out apps? Was the Harvard of the west Stanford? Are you currently in College/University and if so, how is it?

Scholarship wise, what about schools giving you the full ride? Ie; A private U is offering the Full ride. Worth taking if they don't have your major?

@Sumiki

Would you say that being home schooled would has its advantages, ie; working/studying at your own pace?

What is the process in order to become Home schooled?

:???:

Master of Lehrak

lerahk.gif

@TruagaofVirtues

Really? What school did you get into? (If you don't mind sharing)  :o   How was it filling out the Apps?  I do tend to stay off my social media, checking it once in a while.

I got into Northern Illinois University to study physics! It was my back-up school, since it was the easiest to get in out of my choices, but it is still a pretty good school.

Filling out the apps are fairly easy. Most of it is just filling in basic info like classes you took, grades, activities, etc. That part is very quick, the only parts that take some time are the essays, sending transcripts/ACT scores, and getting recommendations. For sending your transcript, you need to see your school counselor, but the rest is pretty self explanatory. A lot of schools use something called the "Common App" where you only have to fill out one app, and you can send it to any school that accepts the "Common App". You can set up an account for free and look at the questions they ask, and that is pretty similar to what most schools do.

Also, don't procrastinate! A lot of schools do something called an early decision where if you send the application by a certain date, your chances of getting in are a little higher. So I would check those dates for the schools you are looking for.

I actually already have a little idea of what college is like, because I took a class at the College of DuPage during Junior year to get an extra year of Spanish, so I can tell you a bit about that if you want. PM me if you want, since that is a little off-topic.

The school in question was University of Montana, called the "Harvard of the west." Or at least it was on the promotional material when I applied.  ;)

Honestly, the application process itself is not that hard; fill in the blanks and write a good essay. The real work comes from your grades and extracurricular activities (And if a private university is offering you a full ride, you shouldn't have to worry that much.) So don't stress it too much; find 3 or 4 colleges you like, and apply for those. Make a checklist of what you want from your college experience, and see how the schools stack up. (Also, be aware of reputations; some schools are notorious for being "party schools," which isn't cool when it comes to grades.) And adding to what TuragaofVirtues said, get the applications in early: not only do you have a better chance of getting in, but you're more likely to get better deals on scholarships and partial/full rides.

I'm currently a Junior in college right now, pursuing a degree in Stage Management. I learned my sophmore year that acting just wasn't for me. I still dabble in it, but I know that SMing is my real talent. (So don't be afraid to change your concentration or degree; you may just learn something about yourself and your talents that you didn't know or see before!) I've had a really great experience. The class size is small, which is what I'm used to. I can take some awesome classes, and even teach the teachers sometimes! (We had a discussion in Theatre History yesterday that involved greek myths. Our professor was quite surprised that we had learned so much from a children's book series.  ^_^ ) The food's not excellent, but I've moved off campus and am now cooking for myself so it's improved a lot. I have a lot of great friends, and I can still have time to sit, play video games, or read a book...unless there's a production going on. Then free time goes out the window.

Quick word of warning: Cars are a double-edged sword. On one hand, they're great for going home for a weekend and provide a level of freedom. On the other hand, gas gets expensive and you'll be the person everyone comes to when they need a ride, even when it's out of your way. (I personally like riding a bike to school. It's better for me, I don't have to buy a parking permit, and I'm not searching for a parking space for 10 minutes when I'm running late. My brother likes it too.)

As for the full ride....As great a deal as it is, I would decline. Sure, you leave without debt (and your grades must be good to get a deal like that; great job!) But are you getting the education you want? do they have a similar major? There's no point in going to college if you can't pursue the degree you want. I'm willing to bet that if a private university is offering you a full ride, you'll find a similar deal from a university that DOES offer the major you want. What would you do at this university if you couldn't pursue your major, out of curiosity? 

Edited by Jalina T.T.

Defy Expectations

@Jalina T.T.

Are you in UMT at the moment? Btw, is it cheaper renting your own place instead of dorming?

I have started driving, I can apply for my license this upcoming December.  Should be useful for coming and going. I'll look into early admissions, I really don't have much internet access at the moment. Well Im looking into the Aerospace Engineering field. The U that is offering the full ride only has a minor in ASE. I would probably switch my Major and go fro Computer science or something.

@TuragaOfVirtues

Really? Nice! I took a few college prep classes at UCLA for a few weeks last year. Do you dorm, live at home, or own place? How is the experience?

Master of Lehrak

lerahk.gif

@TuragaOfVirtues

Really? Nice! I took a few college prep classes at UCLA for a few weeks last year. Do you dorm, live at home, or own place? How is the experience?

Well, I'm also a senior in high school, so I'm not quite old enough to live on my own!

The class was twice a week, and lasted one semester. I did it to get a head start in Spanish for college. I was the youngest in the class, and it was very difficult! Over half the class dropped after the first few days, so it ended up being a class with only 9 people. All homework was done online, so that was very different from high school. It is a LOT more homework, but you had 2 weeks to do each "set" of homework. I was able to get a B in it, and it did prepare me for Spanish 2.

• Upvote 1

It's perfectly normal to stress over college applications. It's also normal to find it scary. College is difficult, but depending on how you tackle it, it's not as big a change as it's made out to be.

My first year of undergrad was a disaster. I completed the year with excellent grades, but I was holed up in my room fighting depression the entire time.

During this, my plans for a major changed at least three times. Mathematics, economics, French...and so, I planned to transfer to a university that was strong all around, in all departments.

I wound up by taking two years off altogether. I wasn't emotionally ready.

And so I wound up at Rutgers, living at home and commuting every day. But, thankfully, this allowed me the room to flourish. I graduated with highest honors in my department with strong connections to my professors, and am now in a doctoral program studying literature at one of the best universities in the world.

I don't mean to scare you with my story; rather, I want to tell and show you that there is no one track through your undergraduate studies. Things happen; things change, and it's not the end of the world by any means. I do think that it is important to be comfortable and to be open. Chances are, your plans will change. And that's okay. But take the time to visit the colleges you're applying; take the time to get to know departments in fields you are interested in, but that may not be your first choice. You may just end up with an entirely different set of interests than the ones you set out with.

There's my story - take from it what you will, aside from any discouragement. I encourage you to pursue what you love, even if you don't know what that may be quite just yet.

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 1

Nope! I'm currently going to a little place called EOU. As for the cost of living off campus: Most schools require freshmen to live on campus their first year, unless they already live in the area, so you shouldn't worry about it for a couple years. However, last time I did the math, I was saving at least a few thousand dollars a year by living off campus. It's certainly something to look into when you're ready. (And something to consider if the full ride covers living on campus or not. Part of the reason I moved off was because I couldn't stand the atmosphere of the dorms.) Take a good look at your financials before you make a decision, however; rental prices are low where I live, but they may be high enough elsewhere that living on campus is cheaper, especially if the food is good.

Areospace Engineering? Wow! You really are shooting for the stars! I don't know much about science, but that's probably something you will want to major in. However, if the university does have a minor at least, and is offering a full ride, keep it in your considerations. It definitely sounds like one of the better options right now. (If you really like this school, see if they have a similar field that can still be applicable to A.E. Ask your advisor!)

Defy Expectations

Hello Everyone. The reason I am starting this is topic is due to the fact I need advice and help in filling out College Apps.

Im currently a senior and it's that time of year where college apps are open. so a few quick Qs:

What was your experience filling out college apps?

Any advice? Was/is it scary?

Should I be stressing over it? (is it normal to stress out over college apps?)

How is college?  :P

I recently graduated from the University of Findlay and I currently do freelance writing and editing alongside independent studies, but as other folks here have said, it is not as stressful as it's made out to be.

Back when I filled out college applications, I was actually a bit scared myself. Sending in an essay, grades, money and anything else that prepares you for college just says "scary" all over it, especially the first time around. My first choice was NYU; its tuition combined with the size of New York frightened me at first, but I took the chance and got accepted (though I ultimately rejected NYU). I also applied to a few universities in Texas as well as Berkeley, UCLA, and the American University in Paris. When you actually do it and send in that application, you'll feel accomplished. No matter how scary the application might seem, just go for it. You might get lucky!

The anticipation can also be scary but again, just take the chance. If one college rejects you, that gives you an opportunity to try another.

The college experience itself is what you make of it. I will tell you this as a definite rule of thumb on college life.

DON'T GO HOME. The first week of the college year is always scary, especially as a freshman, but other classmates will feel the same way and those same people could become your best friends if you stick around campus. Also, you don't want all that effort of getting into college to go to waste.

I agree with Jalina T.T. on scholarships. APPLY. APPLY. APPLY. College is expensive, and any scholarship you get can help keep your debt low (or even better, at zero!) will come a long way for you. Apply for grants too. If you have to take out loans for any reason, use federal loans and even then, only use them as an absolute last resort and borrow as little as possible.

Some other things to consider for college:

Go to student club/organization meetings. The first meeting is always awkward, but there are other students interested in the same things as you. The meetings are also great for making new friends and making your resume look good if you're active in those organizations. It can also help you discover yourself in ways that the classroom can't. Personal experience with this helped me become vice president of UF's diversity and gaming clubs over the years and gain leadership skills and new friends from around the world.

Talk to professors. Sure, their PhD's and years of teaching might intimidate you but at the end of the day, they're still mentors/friends who are perfectly willing to help you in your academic work, life issues and so on. They know and understand the hardships their students go through. They were in your shoes, too.

Explore campus and/or town. Get lost in campus or the town where it is situated. You'll be surprised by what you might find and it'll teach you something new. Get to know the local shops and you just might get a good discount or favor from them.

Attend campus events. If/when you start college, there will be tons of events to go to. You paid thousands of dollars for it and these events always have free food. Especially go to the college's International Night (if available); you get to try foreign food for free  :) ! 

Seize the opportunity! There are study abroad opportunities, chances to join honorary societies (Greek or otherwise), internships, and even the potential to present your work at a(n) (inter)national conference. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. There are lots of chances that are yours for the taking, and you could reap the rewards from them.

There are many facets to college to consider, but it is ultimately what you make of it. A lot of other members have made excellent points to take to heart, so don't be afraid to take on college. I'm sure you'll do just fine, and good luck with your college application!

-Xeno

Bio13044-1.jpg

Good luck to you!

By the way, I've started up a little blog series over in the blog section called So You Want to Go to College? (The blog itself is Chorus in the Catwalk.) I got inspired by your search for wisdom. If you ever want more advice that may or may not be viable (:P) then go check it out. I'm going to try to cover everything from deciding where to go to the first term.

Have fun!

Defy Expectations