Evolutions in the New Story?

Toa Alvarno

If it means having the same characters for more than a year, I am up for evolutions. The Toa Nuva evolution was well done and gave new depth to the characters, and I didn't mind Mistika and Phantoka (despite the atrocious sets) because they technically did not "evolve" (plus it was like 6 years later). Hordika was alright, as it was not a permanent evolution, and the Inika-Mahri change only bugged me because I disliked some of the Mahri designs and wished that the canonical appearance of that Toa team was still the Inika iteration. (seriously, Hewkii and Kongu (minus his mask) ugh, though then again, Nuparu, Hahli, and Jaller Mahri were loads better than their Inika counterparts). 

It gets kind of annoying to have to switch focus all the time. The story  is a lot more consistent when it follows a set cast of characters, and while I liked Bionicle bringing older characters to the spotlight it was weird to have focal characters in the background (like the Nuva were for 4 years straight) all of the sudden.

And what's to stop LEGO from pulling another 03, where both waves are enemies? Or 09, where some are new allies, some are neutral and some are the baddies?

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

New characters don't need to be Toa! Why does everyone assume that?

Well, then we have no Toa as main protagonists, which takes us even further from the roots of Bionicle.

Um, we have a team of Toa Mata already as main protagonists. I didn't say new characters were main characters, but they also don't have to be Toa if people complain about too many Toa teams. Like Glatorians weren't Toa at all. Plus a lot of other species exist in Bionicle like the Piraka, Barraki, Rahi, that could all make sets that aren't repeat characters.

New characters don't need to be Toa! Why does everyone assume that?

Well, then we have no Toa as main protagonists, which takes us even further from the roots of Bionicle.

Um, we have a team of Toa Mata already as main protagonists. I didn't say new characters were main characters, but they also don't have to be Toa if people complain about too many Toa teams. Like Glatorians weren't Toa at all. Plus a lot of other species exist in Bionicle like the Piraka, Barraki, Rahi, that could all make sets that aren't repeat characters.

But if the Toa Mata aren't available on shelves, they cannot be the main protagonists of a toy-driven story. We've been over this, and it's just as true now as it was then, a.k.a. very true. There has to be a choice between new characters and keeping old characters; you can't have both (unless the new characters can be released alongside the old characters). Unless a new set of Mata sets is released every year, they must be replaced as main protagonists.

Also the surplus of sapient species in the Bionicle universe was extremely annoying as they piled up. I'd rather not go back to that.

Edited by Lucina

I mildly disagree that the Toa Mata have to have a new set every year. In 2002, only the Bohrok were released, and the Nuva didn't come until 2003. 

2002 was one of the most popular Bionicle years. Now every year of every story theme since then has released new protagonist sets each year, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bionicle broke that mold once again. After all, they brought back gear functions, something that few people thought would ever return. They would probably need new Toa sets at least once every two or three years to keep the team fresh, but every year may not need to be.

• Upvote 1

I mildly disagree that the Toa Mata have to have a new set every year. In 2002, only the Bohrok were released, and the Nuva didn't come until 2003. 

Actually, the Toa Nuva were the second wave canister sets of 2002. They didn't actually do anything in the story until 2003 but they were still in the same year as the Bohrok.

But I see your point, since 2003 had no Toa hero sets minus Takanuva and still maintained some good sales along with an awesome story. 

-NotS

• Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg