Worst year of Bionicle

MrStoneEdge

As we have a topic discussing the best year of Bionicle I want to know what you think the worst year is.

For me it's easily 2005. The Rahaga and the Hordika are some of the worst Bionicle sets released and the story felt as an unnecessary extension of the previous year. The Visorak were nice though, but that is the only redeeming quality I can think of. 

• Upvote 2

2005 fo sho, for all of the reasons you stated. Plus, it was fairly boring in terms of story. Too dark.

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

I'd say 2005, but the three titans from that year were AWESOME! Rhotuka are also epic. I'd have to say 2010/2011 were the worst years. 2010 because of the Stars, and 2011 because of the crazy unfinished serials that still have fans asking Greg about things revealed in them. Mainly Velika, the red star, Marendar, etc.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

I'd say "2008" but that's so cliche. Really, anything from 2006-2008 was so entrenched in pretentions of dark grittiness and super serious stuff that it felt forced and terrible. Of those years, I'd probably zero in on 2006, which had the Piraka Rap, Free The Band, the introduction of two different clunky, annoying torso pieces, the overwhelmingly mediocre online games AND video games, and an island that was only ever described with descriptions like "here in Blistering Death Desert, the Killer Sea Snail killed 5,000 Matoran each second with its ooze alone. its face is incomprehensible to mortal eyes,so much so your brain will melt. Welcome to your worst nightmare"

Edited by Lucina
  • Upvote 9

Would I be a horrible person for saying 2001? It's up there =P.

It's hard to quantify, because most years had their ups and their downs. The good usually outweighed the bad.

Ultimately I'd have to say 2009. Usually I look to the larger sets to redeem any failing about the line in general, but they just weren't up to snuff that year. The winter titans were unique but ultimately somewhat boring, and the summer titans were just a bit crazy, since they tried to simplify a lot of the building techniques. Plus, the story (while having a great aesthetic) wasn't as much of a "reboot" as I had hoped, and they didn't explore a lot of the cool themes hinted at.

2009. off the top of my head i can think of one really good thing about that year, which would be that it reintroduced tan to the palette. aside from that, 2009 was merely a botched soft reboot with even fewer female characters than previous years and a movie that was arguably worse than the first three due to sheer cringe factor alone (although that's not saying much). the world was interesting, but of course like the MU it never got its fair share of exploration due to the rushed ending. not to mention that if the story hadn't been convoluted enough in previous years, there were multiple serials in both Bara Magna and the MU. good luck keeping up with that. and despite 2009 ostensibly being a (soft) reboot, the sets once again rehashed the same builds we had been seeing for three years. hugely disappointing.

Edited by Arc

*laughs*

I would love to say 2010, and not because it was the end, but because so much of it felt rushed and generally simplified from a story perspective... Do I even need to mention the sets?

However 2009 is also up there on my dislike scale for many of the reasons stated above. *shakes head* I wished they hadn't even made the fourth bionicle movie.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

It was more dark and gritty than 2006-2008. Which isn't the problem imo. The problem was it was unnecessarily dark and gritty. It made no sense to have Vakama turn. It was such an obtuse turn of events that Greg even opposed it. 

And the sets! They took a step back in terms of points of articulation.

• Upvote 1

2010. 2009 was one of my favorite years (unpopular opinion, I guess) and I was looking forward to the ongoing arc following from that. Nothing of the sort happened, obviously. Instead we got a really rushed conclusion. Better than anything, and I don't blame the team for that, but still, egh.

• Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

2005. The hordika arms were up. I liked the three titan's that created Voporak though.

I'd say 2006. It was when bionicle was starting to get more expensive, there was no movie, the loss of the gears and the Piraka 'gang' theme was a bit dull.

What are you talking about? I loved 2006. Loved everything about it.

• Upvote 2

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

Hmm, well for me there's something to like about every year of Bionicle (how much definitely varies  :P ). My least favorites are probably 2005. As much as I'm not the biggest fan of 2009/10, they at least brought new and promising stuff to the story (it didn't work out great, but it was attempted). 2005 was interesting and had new and cool stuff (rhotuka launchers, Visorak), but it never felt like it was meant to be there. It didn't affect the overall plot/characters much at all, and was just disappointing in story. I don't hate it, and it did do a good amount of things right, but it was still underwhelming for me.

Definitely 2006 for me. I didn't like the fact that the Piraka couldn't go 3 seconds without betraying each other, and that we never really got to meet the Toa teams from then on. I liked the Titans, but that was it. I liked 2005 because of my two favorite Lego sets, Norik and Iruini as well as Keetongu:) I also really liked 2009.

I really didn't like 2005. It was bad enough that I didn't get very many of the sets, and it actually drove me away from Bionicle for a while. Then, 2006 brought me back. I guess that's some of the reason I really loved that year?  :notsure:

Edited by Shadow Destroyer

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

man, 2005 is pretty disliked here. that's surprising. o:

anyway, i'm trying to think of one, i really am, but when i zeroed in on 2008 or 2006 i couldn't hate them, they were some of my fav years!

until i realized i had accidentally replaced every single event of 2006 with my own alterations of that storyline, and only liked 2008 for the aesthetic.

oops.

(actual answer, probs 2010, for being what it was. ouch.)

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Personally I would say 2005, though 2010 did feel pretty weak but I understand why and it feels unfair to include it in such a comparison.

Also to whoever said 2006 had bad online games or whatever - I really really liked VNOG. :P

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

Personally I would say 2005, though 2010 did feel pretty weak but I understand why and it feels unfair to include it in such a comparison.

Also to whoever said 2006 had bad online games or whatever - I really really liked VNOG. :P

i was originally going to say 2010, but then i had the same thought as you - it really isn't fair to compare it to the rest; it was a half-year with a rushed end to the storyline that Lego couldn't exactly help.

also same. very same. as much obnoxious repetition as VNOG had, i loved it - it had a neat, mysterious atmosphere reminiscent of the MNOGs (which is good considering the name).

Its a tie between 2011, 2012, and 2013 for me. We barely got any new story info in those years! :P

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Joking aside, I liked every year of Bionicle in some way or another. If I had to pick one that I liked the least, it would probably be 2009. But only because I don't think it was executed as well as it could have been.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I dunno, I never really liked the Glatorian deal, so 2009. It was just such a weird shift in focus and the sets weren't particularly exciting for me; I only wanted mata Nui and was interested in the new long socket joints with the side axle holes on Kiina. I was basically waiting for something interesting and MU related to happen. I loved 2008, the story was coming to an exciting climax and while the sets didn't resemble the Toa Nuva I wasn't a stick in the mud about it, cause I knew they were the same characters; I'm still rather disappointed I never got to pick up Pohatu, but my Lewa and Tanma are chilling out next to me right now looking pretty fly (pun unintended but welcome). Honestly, they just needed to flesh out 2009 more, I think the lack of books (the regular kind we were used to, not the ones aimed at even younger kids that didn't really get into much) was a heavy blow for me and made me feel out of the loop. It just didn't work for me, I didn't enjoy it as much as I did every other year of Bionicle. 

• Upvote 2

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Hard to choose between 2004 and 2005 for me but seeing as so many others have gone for 2005 I'm going to form a minority group and say the Visorak and Metru were boooooring!!! The Rahkshi from the previous year just absolutely eclipse the simple designs of the Vahki. Not to mention the basically monochrome Toa Metru. There were no collectibles for the first time in 4 years which is also a downward turn in the series in my opinion... Metru Nui Matoran probably looked better than the other sets but were very two dimensional with those wide flat torso pieces. Krekka, Nidhiki and Dume are also without a doubt my least favourite Titan sets to date. They were all so gappy and almost unfinished (not so much krekka but especially dume!) Only good thing to come from 2004 was Toa Lhikan and Kikanalo if you ask me. Why not make a whole team of Toa as cool as Lhikan? And why on earth do the Toa Metru have nothing in common with the Turaga they'll become? At least keep the same 2-tone colour scheme the turaga sets had, might've helped make them a little less dull...

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Hard to choose between 2004 and 2005 for me but seeing as so many others have gone for 2005 I'm going to form a minority group and say the Visorak and Metru were boooooring!!! The Rahkshi from the previous year just absolutely eclipse the simple designs of the Vahki. Not to mention the basically monochrome Toa Metru. There were no collectibles for the first time in 4 years which is also a downward turn in the series in my opinion... Metru Nui Matoran probably looked better than the other sets but were very two dimensional with those wide flat torso pieces. Krekka, Nidhiki and Dume are also without a doubt my least favourite Titan sets to date. They were all so gappy and almost unfinished (not so much krekka but especially dume!) Only good thing to come from 2004 was Toa Lhikan and Kikanalo if you ask me. Why not make a whole team of Toa as cool as Lhikan? And why on earth do the Toa Metru have nothing in common with the Turaga they'll become? At least keep the same 2-tone colour scheme the turaga sets had, might've helped make them a little less dull...

The thought of an orange Toa Vakama is certainly interesting.

• Upvote 3

Sometimes I do feel that people say 2006 is the best year simply because of nostalgia. The Toa in that year got barely any character development and were nothing like their Matoran selves. The "gang" thing with the Piraka was a little weird, and we all remember the Piraka Rap. It was also the year that introduced the biggest plot device in the history of Bionicle - The Mask of Life. The Toa Inika also had really weird masks, don't even get me started on Kongu. I don't know what they were thinking when they made that head design. All the Inika had the same weapons too, Nuparu being the only one with something unique. 

The Piraka were pretty good but the asymmetrical arms look a little odd in my opinion, it makes them look like Toa Hordika. However I think we can all agree that the titans were pretty great that year, especially Brutaka. But no matter how good the Titans are, they will never beat the best Bionicle set of all - Good Guy

• Upvote 3

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

My least favourite was 2006. The Piraka were overpowered, kinda silly looking (especially for people attempting to masquerade as Toa) and pure Disney levels of evil. The Toa had weird masks, awesome colour schemes for Jaller/Matoro/Hewkii while the other three felt like an afterthought, and seemed quite different from their Matoran selves. They also seemed to get a surprisingly good handle on their powers very quickly - odd, given it was hot on the heels of 2004/05 which also featured new Toa who had no idea how to use their powers - and seemed largely to succeed at things for plot convenience rather than anything else. I still find it hard to swallow that they could beat the Piraka when the Toa Nuva - more powerful Toa with way more experience - were easily defeated.

The characters felt quite thin in the personality department and the setting was nothing more than a backdrop for the battles between the heroes/villains. No sense of exploration, mystery or deeper secrets which, up until then, had been a hallmark of the Bionicle locations. This then set the trend for future years, where very interesting settings had a single, unfulfilling year in which to be explored. Many of the battles, which became the main focus in this year, felt gratuitous, there to fill time until it was the right moment to actually further the story in some way.

2006 also introduced the Inika build which, while good, meant that future sets were largely built out of recycled limbs and torsos with mismatching armour styles and an increasingly dull and familiar build process.

The advertising for 2006 was also hilarious. Raps, dramatic, lightning-struck poses, gang-style motifs, I mean really? We're talking about a bunch of plastic toys here. And LEGO, of all things! Hardcore is not the word I would ever use to describe LEGO, yet that appeared to be what they were aiming for. Rather confusing.

Overall, 2006 just never really clicked with me. Oh, and I forgot to mention the Matoran builds! 100% recycled parts! Can I complain about that and the canister sets made out of mostly new pieces? Well, I'm gonna, so there. :P

Banner 2.png

Click on them to build them yourself!