Worst year of Bionicle

MrStoneEdge

I initially thought i'd say 2010, but with the understanding that the poor quality was because the line had to come to an ending quicker than they could have prepared for. Keeping that in mind, I think they did a good job, and I (one of the few, it appears) like all the various pieces of storyline that have come since.

So...maybe 2003 for me. I wasn't a huge fan of the Kal, it was litterally a rehashed bohrok. As amazing as MoL was to us at the time, we've since seen (in my opinion) better movies. The two saving graces of that year for me were the "titan" sets, which I think were some of the stronger sets of any year.

You know, as I type this, I realise that MNOG II is the only piece of bionicle media I have not experience from begining to end...maybe I should go try it, I may get a different opinion...

• Upvote 1

Hi.

If you remember me from when I was most active on BZP, from 2009-2011...

I know I was cringy. But please keep in mind I was literally 12.

You know, as I type this, I realise that MNOG II is the only piece of bionicle media I have not experience from begining to end...maybe I should go try it, I may get a different opinion...

Make sure you enable the debugger/know how to use it. It will make the game SO much less tedious.

Actually, it's not really worth beating the game. It has a very lackluster ending.

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

2005, or 2010 after that. 2005 tried to do far too many plots in one year and dragged out the first half of the year far too long. In addition to that, it could have been so much better had it actually started moving quicker and perhaps focused on the Toa Hagah rather than the mediocre Toa Hordika. Some of the Rahaga were barely focused on. Perhaps it would have been better if the Toa Metru received new masks/armour and became the Toa Hagah to battle the Visorak rather than what we had, because it was honestly a mess.

At least they kept the atmosphere throughout the year, but that was it.

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

2005 had Time Trap. It's odd that the book many consider the greatest in the BIONICLE story came out in a year everyone seems to hate.

Still, I have to say—Time Trap or no Time Trap—2005 was too dark and too silly. The parts were extremely specialized, the playsets had those awful minifigures, the story took itself way too seriously and there was no real concern for the characters; we knew 2004 was going to be alright because of 2001-2003, but 2005 just felt like a pointless chapter.

• Upvote 4

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

2005, 2010, and first half of 2003 are kind of the black sheep in the family I'd say, but all 3 of those years had something good as well as bad in them:

I found 1/2 2003 to be really "meh" and sort of bland, however I liked the characterization of the Kal, but was bummed out when they were cut out again.

2005 only had Time Trap going for it, everything else was just so annoyingly animalistic.

2010: the Stars sucked. The addition of Lore and blending of the 2 universes, was amazing, yet unfinished, killing it in my book.

Worst year set wise: 2010

Story wise: 2005

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

• 2 weeks later...

2010 is the obvious one, for reasons everyone knows. Behind it, I'd say 2005 and 2008.

2005 had too many clone sets, and these clone sets lacked the ingenious design of the Bohrok or the wicked character of the Piraka. The Hordika were supposed to be mutated and strange yet all shared the same build; they really would have benefited from being unique builds like the Barraki. They were ugly, but not monstrous, just awkward. The Visorak were absurdly similar-looking because their pincers and carapaces were barely differentiated, and their floppy shells felt odd. Then there were some plain inexplicable choices, like giving Sidorak a loose arm or forgetting Keetongu's left hand. I feel like the set design was rushed, because there are some original ideas that are just executed very poorly. 

2008 is just... Eugh. Just a bunch of bland ideas thrown randomly. There are tons of Inika builds, so the sets aren't exciting to construct. Everything is black or grey or silver, so they're bland at best and eyesores at worst. You've got three different launchers with the Midak Skyblaster (a Zamor knockoff which probably broke some poor kids' bones), the Nynrah Ghost Blaster (aka the ugliest launcher in bionicle history), and the Shadow Leech bombs (The one good design that was sadly underutilized). The toa tools are hilariously lame like Gali's scope, Onua's arm-guard, and Pohatu's floppy propellers. And then there are the laughable Av-Matoran, foreshadowing for the awful Bionicle Stars. The vehicles were the one good thing about the year, which was otherwise just a boring grey and silver mess. 

Edited by Latrodectus

I was not a great fan of whenever they decided Mata Nui was a giant robot AND the MU itself, fufufu...so I'll say the 2009-2010 story arc. Don't forget 2010 had the Stars. And that Final Battle between Mata Nui and Makuta...it was all so rushed. It honestly felt like they pulled a Lost and said, "Well, we've overstretched the story by way too much, and now we have to rush an ending." Whatever happened afterward? I guess it all just fizzled out?

As Archon~ said above, I can get behind the first half of 2003 being a black sheep. Likewise, I enjoyed the characterization of the Bohrok-Kal - they honestly had great personalities. But you don't know how many times I got onto BZP that half of the year - hoping to see news about the coming sets later that year - only to find news about whoever had most recently gotten a sterling-silver or white-metal Krana-Kal. As such, I was always shaking the canisters at Walmart to see if there was such a Krana-Kal in one of those - but did I ever find one? Of course not.

Edited by Twister92

I was not a great fan of whenever they decided Mata Nui was a giant robot AND the MU itself, fufufu...so I'll say the 2009-2010 story arc.

That was before 2001. Mata Nui being a giant robot is pretty much the entire point of the line and was always meant to be. The idea that this is something they decided later in the line is false. whether you like how they executed it or not is a different thing, but they never "decided" on making that a thing, it just...always was.

• Upvote 5

AXKP5KC.png

Well then, I'm simply not a great fan of Mata Nui being this big, Universal Robot, as well as the fact that they went through with it. I felt the series in general was better before we knew about the MU being Mata Nui itself. Thank you, however, for correcting my misconception.

• Upvote 1

Weird, people hating on 06-08. Those were my favorite years of Bionicle, 08 easily the greatest among them.

05, I can understand the hate on, but I think it was all right despite its filler nature. It also nailed the proper tone for a Bionicle movie. Tone, not plot. But still, it gets many points for that in my book.

2010 was easily the worst. Rushed ending, terrible sets, anticlimactic (a rock kills Makuta. A friggin big rock.), and the devolution of Tahu.

• Upvote 2

Pk57sNJ.jpg

I know I'm going to get a lot of hate, but...

From a marketing perspective, 2002 was amazing. But story...it was pointless. The Bohrok were actually working FOR Mata Nui the whole time, so the year seemed like a total waste in retrospect. 

Of course, I also think that 2005 was one of the best years, so what do I know? 

• Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

Eh there are probably a fair few people who disliked '02, just not necessarily here.

In my experience storylines like that which are later 'undone' get a fair bit of disdain; but often people dislike the story which reversed it instead... which in this case probably ties into people who didn't like the reveal that the universe was a giant robot. *shrugs*

From a marketing perspective, 2002 was amazing. But story...it was pointless. The Bohrok were actually working FOR Mata Nui the whole time, so the year seemed like a total waste in retrospect. 

Of course, I also think that 2005 was one of the best years, so what do I know? 

I don't see that as pointless, it served as time to develop characters if nothing else (the swarms intrigued me). I loved 2005, set-wise I really, really liked the Rahaga & the Toa Hordika; they didn't seem ugly to me, not monstrous either; but somewhat beastial, I liked the look of them as a set & in the movies; which leads to...

It also nailed the proper tone for a Bionicle movie. Tone, not plot. But still, it gets many points for that in my book.

Really was a nice movie; obvious plot issues seemed manegable given how many things it did right; not necessarily being darker & edgier, but that it did a good job of creating the atmosphere (this is all only my opinion though).

The Visorak seemed much more interesting than the Vahki (set-wise), & frankly the Titans were awesome (although I'm probably one of very few who didn't like all the 'Keetorange' seemed overdone, & I don't see the huge appeal in that colour), the play sets were an interesting thing for Bionicle, & generally 'Summer' '05 sets seemed a step up from 'Summer' '04 sets, although 'Winter' sets where better in both cases I think.

Storywise it seemed an alright year to me; withholding the execution of Vakamas betrayal, otherwise I felt it went well.

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Not entirely. Tale of the Toa ended after the (non-canon version) of the fight against the shadow Toa. The Makuta fight was left out entirely there, too.

And in the book, Hapka makes it very clear that the Toa are done after the Shadow Toa and return to the surface without confronting Makuta. Retconning that back in to the 'official' canon was something done by Greg in response to fans.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Not entirely. Tale of the Toa ended after the (non-canon version) of the fight against the shadow Toa. The Makuta fight was left out entirely there, too.

And in the book, Hapka makes it very clear that the Toa are done after the Shadow Toa and return to the surface without confronting Makuta. Retconning that back in to the 'official' canon was something done by Greg in response to fans.

I don't know, if you read the end of BC1 and the beginning of BC2, nothing says they went back to the surface immediately. In fact, I always thought Tahu's line about more to come was referring to facing Makuta.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

2005 fo sho, for all of the reasons you stated. Plus, it was fairly boring in terms of story. Too dark.

I liked the dark, epic feeling of that year and the movie too. But it stretched out too far, so we never got back to the Toa Nuva until 2008... <_<

Which is probably one of the big reasons for me not liking 2006 >_>"

2005 was nice, & then 2006 was almost like the 6 year old equivalent to Grim Dark; & well; after 2 years of the Toa Metru/Hordika, it seemed like prime time to go okay you know the actual past, you already know more present events; & events not off in a distant new land; one last year for Metru Nui 'post MoL' seems like a more natural choice to me (& then definitely move on the next year!)

Example of the top of head which really isn't great, but just to give an idea: Makuta is gone, now to fix Metru Nui & awaken Mata Nui; IMO if they had something like apparent  "Dark Hunters" attack Metru Nui, one could have had the Toa Nuva (+ Takanuva) & Matoran working together to defend it whilst they try to find out why the dark Hunters are attacking, then discover no they aren't Dark Hunters, but a rogue group etc.

...A group who are working for other Makuta or who knows what; that could then lead into something like some Dark Hunters working for the Turaga/Toa/Matoran, & a wave of non-Toa "good guys", something else happen that makes certain Matoran Toa, who knows; but things could have made the Toa Nuva more relevant for that period.

(These examples aren't to be taken that seriously; but although 2006 had cool stuff with it that was probably the point were I didn't like the direction the story took... 2008 was really as it seemed to me to get back to less grim-silly but eh; all just my opinion. & then 2009 happened and I was sad again. Great thing happened in 2006 & 2007 though; it just was a bit jarring for me.)

2006: meh for Matoran; the Piraka had made another silly launcher & ugly skulls; the Toa Inika had ugly masks made of flesh — which the plot didn't require; Axonn was awesome; Brutaka wasn't the best; Vezon sadly filled the '7th gap'. Fenrakk needed a better body & head; the Kardas Dragon was fantastic & a nice answer to Tahtorak

Really? I love all the 2005 titans, I don't think any of them just 'filled the gap'. They all seemed to be really good, well designed sets. If anything the Kardas dragon suffered more from a poor build than Fenrakk with it's gangly neck and wimpy little T-Re arms. But who am I kidding, I love The Kardas dragon too :D

I'm gonna have to agree with jakest123. Jaller and Hahli were loads better than their Inika counterparts, but I preferred Kongu and Hewkii Inika over the Mahri. Hewkii just looked way cooler, and while I like Kongu Mahri's Kanohi Zatth better than the Suletu, the bulkiness and nasty colour scheme did nothing for me. Finally, Nuparu and Matoro were a mixed bag. Both versions looked great but design-wise, some the choices for the Mahri were questionable (Nuparu's limbs, Matoro's asymmetrical design). Overall I liked the Inika better.

I didn't realise there were people who actually liked the Inika out there, let alone people who preferred them to the Mahri! I think the Mahri were hands down the better sets, way more fun and interesting than the cookie cutter Inika. Some were less good (like a very boring Nuparu Mahri) But Kongu and Hewkii are some of my all time favourite Toa. I have no love for any of the Inika at all, they're just so plain, gangly and downright ugly...

That was before 2001. Mata Nui being a giant robot is pretty much the entire point of the line and was always meant to be. The idea that this is something they decided later in the line is false. whether you like how they executed it or not is a different thing, but they never "decided" on making that a thing, it just...always was.

Says who? I find it VERY hard to believe that the first thing they decided when they designed the Bionicle franchise was that "there should be a whole universe in a giant robot that was taken over by an evil being and crashed into a planet that was broken in a war and then it builds an island on it's face to stay hidden and we spend the net 7 years not mentioning the robot or involving it in a single story. Sound good investors???" Maybe they decided on that premise early on when the brand was successful as they could have then planned out the net 5+ years fairly quickly but to say it was the first thing they decided seems very unlikely. I don't even care if that's what Greg says, I don't buy it :P

Edited by Munty

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

I'm probably gonna say that 2006 was the worst year for BIONICLE IMO, mainly because for some unknown reason they changed their marketing strategy to "Bonklez is down with da hip kidz, innit dudez" with things such as grimy chain fences and spotlights in the ads and the infamous Piraka rap, which never really appealed to 8-year-old me at the time. :P

Also, for someone who had no internet at the time and didn't have any knowledge of the books, the setting and time change was very badly explained within the catalogues and Lego Club magazines, so I had no idea what the heck was even going on in the story.

• Upvote 1

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams

Twitter Flickr

:

Says who? I find it VERY hard to believe that the first thing they decided when they designed the Bionicle franchise was that "there should be a whole universe in a giant robot that was taken over by an evil being and crashed into a planet that was broken in a war and then it builds an island on it's face to stay hidden and we spend the net 7 years not mentioning the robot or involving it in a single story. Sound good investors???" Maybe they decided on that premise early on when the brand was successful as they could have then planned out the net 5+ years fairly quickly but to say it was the first thing they decided seems very unlikely. I don't even care if that's what Greg says, I don't buy it :P

Says other major sources as well. Greg wasn't the only one who worked on Bionicle. Christian Faber's blog Faber Files actually unveils a lot of behind the scenes info on Bionicle and the major story engine which was the Great Spirit Robot. Concepts like how the canisters were supposed to be like "pills" arriving to defeat viruses on the ill robot's face; how certain areas of the island were named after Maori terms for parts of the face (like Ihu meaning nose) and the conception of the robot itself back in '99, years before Bionicle was launched:

early_bionicle_mata_nui_beneath.jpg

I'd say that is evidence enough.

And no, they didn't reference the robot itself because why would they? That was the whole secret. They did however allude to it almost EVERY year. The unbreakable earth layer beneath Mata Nui in MNOG; the Bohrok wanting to cleanse the island (a clean shave, if you will); Metru Nui being underneath Mata Nui and the twin suns; Organic life living on Mata Nui vs the biomechanical life down below, as well as water vs liquid protodermis; Voya Nui's break off from the southern continent and descent back to the Universe under the sea - the clues are all there.

Finally, what makes you think they approached potential investors with the giant robot idea? They had a rich mythology of Toa characters and Matoran villagers fighting against Makuta to really sell Bionicle as a transmedia storyline. I'm sure the giant robot was barely every mentioned to outside parties due to the secrecy of it. 

-NotS

• Upvote 5

tahubanner.jpg

I've always despised 2009. As it is of my opinion that BIONICLE began to go downhill after it abandoned the MU. The Glatorian story was horrible, the sets were mediocre and overpriced, and they began to make the story absolutely dense to the younger fans. It was a travesty, in my own view.

• Upvote 1
I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

I've always despised 2009. As it is of my opinion that BIONICLE began to go downhill after it abandoned the MU. The Glatorian story was horrible, the sets were mediocre and overpriced, and they began to make the story absolutely dense to the younger fans. It was a travesty, in my own view.

I agree that pretty much everything was horribly handled post 2008, but;

In-before (hopefully) witty comment about how Mata Nui & Voya Nui were not in the MU....

I'm gonna have to agree with jakest123. Jaller and Hahli were loads better than their Inika counterparts, but I preferred Kongu and Hewkii Inika over the Mahri. Hewkii just looked way cooler, and while I like Kongu Mahri's Kanohi Zatth better than the Suletu, the bulkiness and nasty colour scheme did nothing for me. Finally, Nuparu and Matoro were a mixed bag. Both versions looked great but design-wise, some the choices for the Mahri were questionable (Nuparu's limbs, Matoro's asymmetrical design). Overall I liked the Inika better.

I didn't realise there were people who actually liked the Inika out there, let alone people who preferred them to the Mahri! I think the Mahri were hands down the better sets, way more fun and interesting than the cookie cutter Inika. Some were less good (like a very boring Nuparu Mahri) But Kongu and Hewkii are some of my all time favourite Toa. I have no love for any of the Inika at all, they're just so plain, gangly and downright ugly...

Nobody really minded the cookie-cutterness at the time, because all canister sets were clones at that point. I personally like the Inika based on their aesthetic. Being the first Toa sets with the 13-point articulation design, I think they had some of the best posing potential, and I think some of their masks, like the Iden in particular, were some of the most emotional-looking BIONICLE faces we got.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Set wise, 2010. The Stars were a poor way to say goodbye.

Story wise, the Bohrok Kal saga, because it hat a lot of potential to see the toa working without their elemental powers and it was poorly explored. Also MoL because the movie is terrible and the movie gives most of the plot of that chapter of Bionicle making it suck (the final battle between light and darkness is... a game of Kolhii?!?!?!? ARE YOU FRIDGINING JOKING ME?!?!?!?!)

Also the Hordika storyline is kind of lame if you only get to watch the movie and reading the comics.

Came for the sets, stayed for the story.

2009-2010. We had a new setting with so much potential to be grittier than the previous years (Villages fighting for resources, a barren desert wasteland, and no elemental/mask powers). I would of loved to see it go on for at least another year, but then Lego decided to end Bionicle around that time. It doesn't help that The Legend Reborn feels so kid-friendly in comparison to the original trilogy of films.

why is this happening

I personally really like the times Bionicle got pretty dark, then again I really like dark stories, after all Ghost Rider is my favorite superhero lol. 2009 was the worst year in my opinion. I didn't like being away from the MU, the characters were uninspiring and the story seemed bland. Plus after the ending in 2008, I wanted to see the war against Teridax and the uphill struggle the heroes face which naturally would be a darker, more intense story. Instead, we got gladiators on another planet.

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

For the sake of argument, 2001.

Everybody gives it a lot of credit, but it was really like "Well, we failed twice before with this idea, so what the heck, let's try again. Oh, hey! it's super successful!"

I know it's a bad argument. I couldn't think of anything else bad about that year, when it comes to bionicle.

For the sake of argument, 2001.

Everybody gives it a lot of credit, but it was really like "Well, we failed twice before with this idea, so what the heck, let's try again. Oh, hey! it's super successful!"

I know it's a bad argument. I couldn't think of anything else bad about that year, when it comes to bionicle.

How about lack of character development and stock-good-guy-versus-bad-guy comic tale? *yawns*

Except for MNOG. MNOG is what saved 2001, and probably all of Bionicle as a result. 

The worst years...anything after 2007 bored me to death. 2008 is the year I lost my interest in Bionicle and I stopped buying sets as a result. I love the Toa Nuva as much as the next guy, but the fact that they brought them back annoyed me...I would've liked to see the Toa Hagah return in a new form or maybe even another new team perhaps? And I would say that the rehashing of characters kind of killed it for me. I was also annoyed by how in the previous 7 years, we only knew 1 Makuta and he was just that; we knew he had brothers, but we never knew his actual name. Now all of a sudden his name is Teridax? Sorry, that seemed really thrown together at last minute.

As a result of not liking '08, I didn't even follow the '09 story, but from the movie (which I did buy), I don't feel that I missed much. I do agree that the Matoran universe was NOT explored enough. As for the Stars, I bought all but the Rakshii just so I could have more parts to build MOCs with.

I was introduced into Bionicle in 2005 though so I didn't really mind the story that year.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

2009 and 2010. I thought that they felt kind of tacked on needlessly. Yes, it was amazing to learn the origins of the robot, but, was putting it on some other planet really necessary? Not to mention we could've had something important to the story in Legend Reborn instead of "Ooh, look, an almighty being, let's get him to stop these people because they're bad and stuff."

2005 in terms of story was silly, it was Vakama going "I'm a monster, woe, jk i'm alright sorry for betraying you". 
Time Trap is one of my favourite books from that year though so I guess that balances it out?

The sets were getting so boring in 2009 though however, we got used to the Inika standard build too much, even if it had great super posing action.

Which is why I am glad the new Toa are definitely different looking, I might buy Tahu for the sake of it, considering Kopaka as well but that gold really clashes with his white aesthetic. Also I really dislike that Rahkshi staff that has haunted me through my years on his weapon. 

Give me bonkles or give me death

2009 and 2010 are worst. I liked the story before 2009 and I was waiting for another awesome island. Istead, they destroyed all islands and move to another planet with stupid story. In 2009, they broke whole story to pieces and glued them together in strange way. When I am thinking about Bionicle story, I totally ignore, what was discovered in 2009 and I have never accepted that Metru-Nui can be a brain of Mata-Nui robot. 2010 was totally stupid, I even don't know there was any story. The way Lego ended (for myself) best franchise in Lego's history is unbeliveable. 6 Matoran-like sets. Awesome...

Besides that, Non-toa Hordikas vs Spiders were pretty strange for me so 2005 is third worst for me.

At some point, I'll suddenly go on hiatus. I'm sorry for that.

Nik, but still pronounced as Nick

The Great Vakama or Clue official topic

How about lack of character development and stock-good-guy-versus-bad-guy comic tale? *yawns*

Except for MNOG. MNOG is what saved 2001, and probably all of Bionicle as a result. 

Don't know about that. The sales for 2001 were high, in fact I think Bionicle won "Most Innovative Toy" that year - that probably attributes to its success better than MNOG.

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Don't know about that. The sales for 2001 were high, in fact I think Bionicle won "Most Innovative Toy" that year - that probably attributes to its success better than MNOG.

-NotS

I didn't mean it that seriously, NotS. He was throwing out objections "for the sake of argument", so I felt inclined to throw a few more on the stack. 

And what you said doesn't really cover the "lack of character development" and "standard good-guy-vs-bad-guy" comic tale objections. :P You're probably right that the Bionicle sets are what made 2001 so popular and survivable, in addition to the whole concept of it.