Bionicle TV Show

Toa Alvarno

I don't know, really. With a TV show there's a lot of ways LEGO could mess it up. Movies is something Bionicle has already done in the past, so that'd be pretty cool.

I think I'd rather have the story told through books and movies.

Another neat thing LEGO could do is put a few tid-bits of information on the back of the packaging of the sets. A little bio of the characters and maybe a bit about where they come from or something of that fashion.

That way, people wouldn't have to be really involved and invested with all the different books, comics, movies, etc, to know their fair bit of the lore.

EDIT: I also think a new online exploration game similar to MNOG would be a fantastic move by LEGO in terms of getting fans to know this whole new island.

Edited by PlatinumApple

*INSERT WITTY COMMENT HERE* chimoru2015spinnie.gif

(Credit to Click for the Bionicle 2015 spinnie!)

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

A tv show would ruin my image of Bionicle. 

When one is reading something, they create the scenario in their mind, each scene being unique to the individual person. With a visually-displayed medium, that image is forced, thus removing room for creativity. 

• Upvote 3

bZpOwEr

When one is reading something, they create the scenario in their mind, each scene being unique to the individual person. With a visually-displayed medium, that image is forced, thus removing room for creativity.

BIONICLE has always had plenty of visual media. In fact, as a toy line, the characters' visual appeal has been the theme's foundation from the very beginning. In its first year, in fact, all of its story media was visual — an online adventure game, a never-released PC action game, a Game Boy Advance game, and a series of comics. Adding a TV show to the mix would change nothing in terms of how visually oriented the theme is.

I can see a BIONICLE TV show having loads of potential, but it's not totally clear how well it might fit with the current storytelling and marketing strategies. It seems like the LEGO Group might be going "back to its roots" in terms of focusing on web-based media. Though that could change...

• Upvote 7

Plot of every filler episode: Tahu gets in trouble, tries to fix it, draws the other Toa in, and all six of them fix it. And Gali cracks a bad joke to be upstaged by Lewa.

• Upvote 3

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Note i said filler episodes. Story-related should be better. However, with the right writers, even filler can be a treat for young and old alike. If they managed to replicate the feel of Phineas and Ferb, or Ben 10, they'd have a watchable series on their hands.

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

BIONICLE has always had plenty of visual media. In fact, as a toy line, the characters' visual appeal has been the theme's foundation from the very beginning. In its first year, in fact, all of its story media was visual — an online adventure game, a never-released PC action game, a Game Boy Advance game, and a series of comics. Adding a TV show to the mix would change nothing in terms of how visually oriented the theme is.

I can see a BIONICLE TV show having loads of potential, but it's not totally clear how well it might fit with the current storytelling and marketing strategies. It seems like the LEGO Group might be going "back to its roots" in terms of focusing on web-based media. Though that could change...

I wasn't referring to the characters, I was referring to the situations. Although many of their images were forced down people's throats with comics and movies, there were still some that remained untouched.  

bZpOwEr

Note i said filler episodes. Story-related should be better. However, with the right writers, even filler can be a treat for young and old alike. If they managed to replicate the feel of Phineas and Ferb, or Ben 10, they'd have a watchable series on their hands.

I really liked the filler episodes in Avatar:TLA and The Legend of Korra.

• Upvote 1

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I knew I forgot something. Yes, Avatar's style, P&F's humour and the general tone of Ben 10.

I'm not saying I think it will happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if a Bionicle TV show comes to exist within the next three years if the new line sells well.

I honestly wouldn't mind a TV show. It would be something new to Bionicle, and surely there might be a few filler episodes, but at least nothing (hopefully) will be jump-cut like the first movie. You know, from Le Koro to Ko Koro in one or two moments. With a TV show, I think we can learn of and see all of the areas in great detail.

• Upvote 2

If they did do it I would want a new writing team who aren't the writers for ninjago and chima, the old bionicle is not a comedy and nor is the new one looking like it will be. I would like writers who know how to write an epic quest not writers who believe that saying the word "stinky" over and over again counts as comedy. 

It's time to move on.

It would be surprising if there isn't a Bionicle TV show at some point. All of Lego's recent products are getting TV shows so I don't see why something as popular as Bionicle wouldn't. 

I wouldn't mind it being in the style of the current shows based on Lego properties, it just needs to be well written and not be as humorous as their other shows. Bionicle always seemed to have a perfect balance when it came to adding humor. It never overshadowed the plot or anything and was well implemented.. for the most part.

• Upvote 1

If they did do it I would want a new writing team who aren't the writers for ninjago and chima, the old bionicle is not a comedy and nor is the new one looking like it will be. I would like writers who know how to write an epic quest not writers who believe that saying the word "stinky" over and over again counts as comedy.

You do know that Ninjago and Legends of Chima don't even have the same writers, right? I don't think there's any serious risk of a BIONICLE TV show having the exact same writers as either of those shows, but if it were written by the Hageman brothers (the lead writers for Ninjago), I can't say I'd complain.

You do know that Ninjago and Legends of Chima don't even have the same writers, right? I don't think there's any serious risk of a BIONICLE TV show having the exact same writers as either of those shows, but if it were written by the Hageman brothers (the lead writers for Ninjago), I can't say I'd complain.

I thought it was written by the same guys.

It's time to move on.

Nope, completely different writers. And different production companies, for that matter — LEGO Ninjago is made by WilFilm and LEGO Legends of Chima is made by M2Film.

Greg Farshtey has written storybooks for both themes, though, which brings up another important point — writers aren't necessarily limited to one particular "style". So even if the writers for LEGO Ninjago did pen a BIONICLE television series, that doesn't mean that the two series would have the exact same tone, any more than the Batman movies by Tim Burton had the same tone as his kids' films like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or James and the Giant Peach. Sometimes there will be certain "hallmarks" that appear throughout a particular writer's works, but the overall tone or sense of humor is not always one of those hallmarks.

• Upvote 4

Nope, completely different writers. And different production companies, for that matter — LEGO Ninjago is made by WilFilm and LEGO Legends of Chima is made by M2Film.

Greg Farshtey has written storybooks for both themes, though, which brings up another important point — writers aren't necessarily limited to one particular "style". So even if the writers for LEGO Ninjago did pen a BIONICLE television series, that doesn't mean that the two series would have the exact same tone, any more than the Batman movies by Tim Burton had the same tone as his kids' films like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or James and the Giant Peach. Sometimes there will be certain "hallmarks" that appear throughout a particular writer's works, but the overall tone or sense of humor is not always one of those hallmarks.

Well talk about false advertising, in the trailers for the chima show they said from the creators of ninjago, I assumed it meant that it was written by them, well at least the chima show makes sense now, although I don't really like the ninjago show that much I was quite amazed(back when I thought this was written by the same guys)that they took a nosedive in quality compared to the already not that great ninjago show. And regarding the point you made about writers not sticking to one style, well what I was getting at with that is just my general fear that they're gonna make bionicle a corny adventure comedy, although they have suggested that they won't do that the possibility is still out there.

It's time to move on.

Well talk about false advertising, in the trailers for the chima show they said from the creators of ninjago, I assumed it meant that it was written by them, well at least the chima show makes sense now, although I don't really like the ninjago show that much I was quite amazed(back when I thought this was written by the same guys)that they took a nosedive in quality compared to the already not that great ninjago show. And regarding the point you made about writers not sticking to one style, well what I was getting at with that is just my general fear that they're gonna make bionicle a corny adventure comedy, although they have suggested that they won't do that the possibility is still out there.

Legends of Chima is still by the creators of Ninjago because the story direction is decided first and foremost by Lego. It's the same way that Hero Factory was by the creators of Bionicle, despite Greg only writing adaptations of the TV show and side-stories and the writers for the TV show being people who had never worked on Bionicle before. Lego still has a story team for each of these themes that decides the overall direction of the plot (The Toa are going underwater to retrieve the Mask of Life, the ninja have to fight an army of Nindroids, tribes of ice-zombies are unfrozen and steal all of Chima's Chi, etc.), along with handling most of the design work (with some help from the writers and staff of the show, but with the sets, as always, come first). The writers, like Greg Farshtey or the Hageman brothers, are mostly responsible for the nitty-gritty of making the story summaries into workable books/comics/television (scripting everything, dividing things into chapters, etc.).

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I like Ninjago, but I think Bionicle shouldn't end up as Ninjago. I like Chima (sort of) but I don't think Bionicle should end up as Chima. I like Hero Factory (sort of, with emphasis), but I think Bionicle shouldn't end up like Hero Factory. 

Bionicle is Bionicle. It is epic. It has humor woven into character development woven into grand quests. None of Lego's current series currently embody that exact formula. Ninjago is more campy and down-to-earth (in a good way). Chima is more immature and formulaic. Hero Factory is more gritty, not epic, and full of flaws. 

So yes, I think a Bionicle TV show is possible. But for that, I think is the best option is an all-new production team. They already have a team to do the Bionicle animation online. I think they could use that team for a TV series, and maybe bring in a few people to work under them if they need more. If that team is going to be in charge of the new Bionicle and they already do animation, leave them in charge. Don't pull an HF and change horses in the middle of a river. 

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 4

What if BIONICLE 2015 was like Fanboy and Chumchum. :P

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

What if BIONICLE 2015 was like ###### # ########?  :P

Oh my god that was when I decided I was getting rid of cable. I never want to see another monstrosity like that again. Seeing shows like that makes me lose hope in humanity. It's a pure disgrace to all good in this world.

But seriously I would cry if Bionicle ended up like that.

If it is done right, I would love to see a TV show. A TV show could let Bionicle retain most of its complexity while not alienating people, since it is much easier and cheaper to keep up with a TV series than it is with a book series. In fact, the only thing that I am actually disappointed in for the reboot is that Bionicle did not get a TV series.

I think, unlike some other people on this thread, that Bionicle could still work with some humor. I don't mean turning Bionicle into a comedy. Shows like Avatar manage to have plenty of humor while maintaining a serious tone. It just needs to be well written and not be misplaced. If they can manage to make the humor feel natural, I don't think there is any reason to not include it.

• Upvote 2

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

I've wanted a Bionicle show for years. Just imagine how awesome it would've been if there was such a series in the later days, with a two parter based on Federation of fear, another based on Brothers in Arms and so on. Imagine if there were seasons to go along with each year like this.

• Upvote 1

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

Legends of Chima is still by the creators of Ninjago because the story direction is decided first and foremost by Lego. It's the same way that Hero Factory was by the creators of Bionicle, despite Greg only writing adaptations of the TV show and side-stories and the writers for the TV show being people who had never worked on Bionicle before. Lego still has a story team for each of these themes that decides the overall direction of the plot (The Toa are going underwater to retrieve the Mask of Life, the ninja have to fight an army of Nindroids, tribes of ice-zombies are unfrozen and steal all of Chima's Chi, etc.), along with handling most of the design work (with some help from the writers and staff of the show, but with the sets, as always, come first). The writers, like Greg Farshtey or the Hageman brothers, are mostly responsible for the nitty-gritty of making the story summaries into workable books/comics/television (scripting everything, dividing things into chapters, etc.).

Yeah I figured that out after I caught wind of the fact that LOC and ninjago are written by two different teams, I still think it should have said something like "a new show from lego" so as not to cause any confusion.

It's time to move on.

also, maybe unpopular opinion here? but i'd actually rather a bionicle show not be CGI. o:

Is it really an unpopular opinion? If we got a TV Show I would like 2D animation much, much more than CGI that doesn't effectively capture emotion.

• Upvote 1

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I knew I forgot something. Yes, Avatar's style, P&F's humour and the general tone of Ben 10.

"Have you ever wondered why you see Mahi skulls in the Motara desert? And why just the skull? Did the rest of the body die somewhere else?" (Gerry the Ghekula makes the grtrtrtrtrtrtr noise in response)

• Upvote 3

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

"Have you ever wondered why you see Mahi skulls in the Motara desert? And why just the skull? Did the rest of the body die somewhere else?" (Gerry the Ghekula makes the grtrtrtrtrtrtr noise in response)

"Curse you, Tahu the Toa!!"

I've been thinking on the potential of a Bionicle TV show since the first signs of return, and I think that it's something the series could definitely use.

A TV show for bionicle was something I dreamed about since I was like, 8; frankly, I think (if executed right) it could allow for a much smoother, more in-depth story than the books and comics ever provided us. 

Plus, the art style we saw at comic-con? Yes.

Elmara

• Upvote 4

Until that day... 'Till all are one.

In fact, there should be a new, stronger word for killing. Something like, badwrong. Or badong. Yes, killling is badong.

I got a great idea for who should portray the characters, how about we get Nicki Minaj as Gali, the members of one direction as Tahu, Kopaka, Lewa, Onua and Pohatu, and how about Justin Bieber as Makuta. And as for writers, I recommend the writers of "foodfight!" and Oogieloves, it's the only way a good bionicle TV show could ever be created :sarcastic: .

• Upvote 3

It's time to move on.

I got a great idea for who should portray the characters, how about we get Nicki Minaj as Gali, the members of one direction as Tahu, Kopaka, Lewa, Onua and Pohatu, and how about Justin Bieber as Makuta. And as for writers, I recommend the writers of "foodfight!" and Oogieloves, it's the only way a good bionicle TV show could ever be created :sarcastic: .

I'm just going to pretend none of that was sarcastic.

• Upvote 1