Battle for the Gold Mask Competition!

To be honest I think allowing people to use LDD is pretty unfair since they have access to an infinite number of parts in colors that don't exist, which makes it unfair on people making real physical creations. 

I have practically no parts to build MoCs. LDD is the only option for me that I even have a chance. I think real parts have an advantage because it's so much easier to build when everything is right in front of you, and it's possible to pose some pieces where the LDD program says it's impossible because of a millimeter of overlap that real parts can overcome. Plus LDD is actually missing some parts that exist in real life. So if I had access to real parts, I would use those instead.

Btw, if you think LDD has an advantage, you can use that too if you want. No one's stopping anyone from using LDD. It's all up to preference.

Hear, hear! Exactly.

To be honest I think allowing people to use LDD is pretty unfair since they have access to an infinite number of parts in colors that don't exist, which makes it unfair on people making real physical creations. 

I have practically no parts to build MoCs. LDD is the only option for me that I even have a chance. I think real parts have an advantage because it's so much easier to build when everything is right in front of you, and it's possible to pose some pieces where the LDD program says it's impossible because of a millimeter of overlap that real parts can overcome. Plus LDD is actually missing some parts that exist in real life. So if I had access to real parts, I would use those instead.

Btw, if you think LDD has an advantage, you can use that too if you want. No one's stopping anyone from using LDD. It's all up to preference.

Actually, now they are stopping you from using LDD. Well, pretty much. Apparently you aren't allowed to use certain colours for your MOC. And if this is the case then they may as well ban LDD models from the competition full stop.  :???:

Really angry about this, as, being a student living away from home, I don't have access to my LEGO collection. These grossly unfair rules put people like me (and just LDD users in general) at a huge disadvantage against those who are able to use an extensive collection of physical Bionicle pieces. Instead, we have to make do with an extremely restricted selection of elements. LDD users have next to nothing to work with, and it's only fair that we should be able  to use LDD to its full extent.  > :(

Hope someone addresses this and fixes it so that all entrants have an equal chance. We all want a fair competition.   :begging:

Use bricklink to determine what colors have existed. That's what I do.

Hmm. Haven't heard of Bricklink before. Will give it a look. What do is I import the model in the normal LDD and click on the pieces to see what colours I can change them to.

How long does the LDD Povray render take? I left it over night and it's still at 29% :blink:

More complex models render more quickly if you zoom out in LDD before rendering them.

This may have already been asked, but will entries have a better chance of doing well in the contest if they use Hero Factory/CCBS pieces over Bionicle/Technic? Or will entires be judged more over the overall look?

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

This may have already been asked, but will entries have a better chance of doing well in the contest if they use Hero Factory/CCBS pieces over Bionicle/Technic? Or will entires be judged more over the overall look?

The parts you use have nothing to do with how we judge them, as long as they're primarily constraction pieces.

The parts you use have nothing to do with how we judge them, as long as they're primarily constraction pieces.

Likewise, are you guys looking at complexity as a factor? I know a lot of "good" MOCs are clusters of armor pieces covering every inch of bodies and limbs in a manner that would never be used in an official set. Are things like that considered more favorable?

Is it possible to put a picture of the LDD model here before I enter it, so someone with authority can check whether the colours make it eligible? It's just that I don't want to enter my best MOC and then find that it's ineligible and that I can't enter it again because one or two pieces weren't the right colour.

Edited by Maxiboy136

Is it possible to put a picture of the LDD model here before I enter it, so someone with authority can check whether the colours make it eligible? It's just that I don't want to enter my best MOC and then find that it's ineligible and that I can't enter it again because one or two pieces weren't the right colour.

If you're not sure, have a friend or two double-check for you. It's up to you to make sure your entry is eligible before you submit it.

Are you allowed to make a few readjustments to your model that you've already submitted?

No. Once you've submitted an entry, you can't change it.

Can a user from venezuela Join the Competition?

Absolutely!
Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes!

Would classic monsters be considered "third party or intellectual property?" Something like Cthulu or the Headless Horseman, because I want to build a Halloween MOC, and wasn't sure if it would be accepted.

Would classic monsters be considered "third party or intellectual property?" Something like Cthulu or the Headless Horseman, because I want to build a Halloween MOC, and wasn't sure if it would be accepted.

Not sure if they're allowed, but I personally feel they wouldn't fit the theme of this contest very well. Can you really imagine the Toa fighting something like the Headless Horseman next year?  ^_^

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

Not sure if they're allowed, but I personally feel they wouldn't fit the theme of this contest very well. Can you really imagine the Toa fighting something like the Headless Horseman next year?  ^_^

I was just building it anyways, and Okoto seems like a good place for ghost stories. There's a big forest with scary things inside, ruins, and magic. It could totally work. :D

We'll have to go to LEGO for an answer on that. Remember that these won't be getting judged until December though, so Halloween will be long over.

If the copyright has expired, then yes. However, remember that entries will be judged partially on originality.

Idk if this has been asked, but would a casual reference to another intellectual property in the back story be allowed?

No.

Is it okay for parts of the submission to be obscured by CGI elements, such as the small rocks/motion effects in this image?

(Also we can use a CGI background, right?)

I would advise against it.
Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes!

I might enter... but I need to ask: can your villain be a small dude in a original(Slightly Exo-force inspired) mech armor? essentially, are exo-armor-mech-like things acceptable?

Like the Exo-Toa?

Anyway, just wanted to check to see if my entry is eligible for the competition before entering it. All colours used come from the standard version of LDD, and so are presumably real pieces. If it isn't eligible, I will change the colours some more and upload it again.

Here's the link: http://www.us.lego.com/en-us/gallery/a47341ac-b18e-419c-9d45-1bd392505b70?index=2&categoryid=64929898-c52f-49d8-b106-c0c36314093c&loadprivate=true&memberid=eec4715b-b000-461b-92c5-b1e9923a8e47

Thanks in advance.  ;)

Edited by Maxiboy136

Like the.... EXO-SKAKDI!?

So I have a question about this 'being eligible'... Once it is on the entry list that mean it is eligble right?

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

What is the best way to render an LDD model? The LDD to POV converter is outdated, and the tutorial Black6 linked earlier is for Ldraw.

From LEGO:

If you can't use Pov-ray, there are a couple other options you can try out:

Mechabricks

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=101343&hl=render

Exporting to LDraw, importing to Blender using LDraw to script, then rendering

https://sites.google.com/site/impiaaa/blenderldrawimporter

Anyway, just wanted to check to see if my entry is eligible for the competition before entering it. All colours used come from the standard version of LDD, and so are presumably real pieces. If it isn't eligible, I will change the colours some more and upload it again.

Here's the link: http://www.us.lego.com/en-us/gallery/a47341ac-b18e-419c-9d45-1bd392505b70?index=2&categoryid=64929898-c52f-49d8-b106-c0c36314093c&loadprivate=true&memberid=eec4715b-b000-461b-92c5-b1e9923a8e47

Thanks in advance.  ;)

At a quick glance it looks fine. We'll be going over entries with a more fine-toothed comb later.

So I have a question about this 'being eligible'... Once it is on the entry list that mean it is eligble right?

No. Once your entry is on the list it means you've entered. The judges will have to review each entry when they have time to determine their eligibility.

Will we know this before or after December 1st?

Also, just breezing over the entries, have you seen any that look ineligible to you?

Also, are you allowed to use obscure promotional pieces?

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

So, if we enter this contest, the mocs are no longer ours? Hmm...Alright, noted.

I think that's only the case if we win, right?
Chro! Big fan! Love your mocs. From what I can tell, LEGO acquires the IP regardless if you win or lose. I'm still going to reuse my entry, but I'd say it's analogous to using an official character in a fanmade Bionicle story. I don't think there's much to worry about.

Good luck in the contest! Your entries look fantastic, and I'm kinda nervous competing against so many other great moccists.

Edited by Mallow Toa of Smashing

>tfw you have no idea what to put here

Will we know this before or after December 1st?

We will try to go through as many as possible before December 1st.

Also, just breezing over the entries, have you seen any that look ineligible to you?

Yes.

Also, are you allowed to use obscure promotional pieces?

Yes.

So, if we enter this contest, the mocs are no longer ours? Hmm...Alright, noted.

I think that's only the case if we win, right?

Chro! Big fan! Love your mocs. From what I can tell, LEGO acquires the IP regardless if you win or lose. I'm still going to reuse my entry, but I'd say it's analogous to using an official character in a fanmade Bionicle story. I don't think there's much to worry about.

Good luck in the contest! Your entries look fantastic, and I'm kinda nervous competing against so many other great moccists.

LEGO is trying to avoid the situation where they release a set at some point that bears a resemblance to an entry and the builder decides to sue LEGO for using their design. There is a chance they might purposely use the winner in the story at some point, but LEGO has not stated any plans to do so. This is just them playing it safe.

I just joined mainly to enter this contest, though I probably would anyway. :)

Do I just enter the image to the gallery then link it here? :???:

Follow the instructions here to enter the contest.

This is Telon; the Vengeful, my beastly, 14 inch tall creation.

http://imgur.com/a/t5ch7

Greed and Hubris are two of the most powerful motivators for any sentient creature. Such are the the powers Telon, once a noble, pure toa, fell victim to as he ventured deep into the heart of the island in search of ultimate power. No one is quite sure what he saw, or what possessed the core of his soul, or even what altered his form to become double his original height, yet all know this; He is an unstoppable, undesuadable toa hunter, and he will not stop, he will not rest, until the last kanohi lies deep beneath the ground. Fear him, cower in fright of his abnegation of all scruples!

Edited by TheLordTelon

This is Telon; the Vengeful, my beastly, 14 inch tall creation.

http://imgur.com/a/t5ch7

Greed and Hubris are two of the most powerful motivators for any sentient creature. Such are the the powers Telon, once a noble, pure toa, fell victim to as he ventured deep into the heart of the island in search of ultimate power. No one is quite sure what he saw, or what possessed the core of his soul, or even what altered his form to become double his original height, yet all know this; He is an unstoppable, undesuadable toa hunter, and he will not stop, he will not rest, until the last kanohi lies deep beneath the ground. Fear him, cower in fright of his abnegation of all scruples!

You have to post this in the entry topic. This topic is for discussion on the contest itself.

Most Mindstorms parts fall into the technic category, as they involve pins, connectors, and beams, while using very few bricks and studs. Honestly, I'd be hesitant to use Mindstorms because this is a contest for building figures, not functional robots. Using Mindstorms might limit your ability to make an aesthetically pleasing figure. If you think you can make it work though, who am I to judge? Have at it.