Battle for the Gold Mask Competition!

I have a question about LDD, specifically the extended mode, which includes more parts. Are LDD extended models accepted if the colored parts have been released in Lego sets beforehand? (For example, a red stars Hau or a black hydraxon mask) Or are we limited to LDD standard mode?

BZPRPG Profiles

Nekka  Banar  Moku  Savok

I'm using a lot of viking horns, HF claws, Barraki eyes, and minifig Piraka spines on a MOC that I am considering for this contest. Will these parts be classified as system?

I will have to get back to you on that. My take would be that they are System, but I don't want to commit to that.

Not open to resident of the Province of Quebec... ? Are you kidding me...

We discuss the reasons for this in the FAQ.

I have a question about LDD, specifically the extended mode, which includes more parts. Are LDD extended models accepted if the colored parts have been released in Lego sets beforehand? (For example, a red stars Hau or a black hydraxon mask) Or are we limited to LDD standard mode?

If the piece has been produced in that color you can use it in your LDD model. People building with real bricks can use Bricklink to get out-of-production pieces, so there's no reason you shouldn't be able to too.

I'm using a lot of viking horns, HF claws, Barraki eyes, and minifig Piraka spines on a MOC that I am considering for this contest. Will these parts be classified as system?

I will have to get back to you on that. My take would be that they are System, but I don't want to commit to that.

Could you ask about dinosaur tail sections too? VBBN on Eurobricks said they'd probably be ok as constraction, but better to be sure.

I don't really think the system/constraction line is too important. The purpose of the rule to to ensure people are building constraction figures, rather than using system built bodies or limbs. Using system parts for deitails is fine, which is why the limit is 25%.

The Chirox Codex

Chuck's Very Dead Comic Series

:smilehafu: This is my signature. Exciting, huh?  :ruru:

I don't really think the system/constraction line is too important. The purpose of the rule to to ensure people are building constraction figures, rather than using system built bodies or limbs. Using system parts for deitails is fine, which is why the limit is 25%.

some builders like having a lot of details, though. I mean I might be overestimating things, but with system pins, flex tubes, exo-force arms, tail and barb pieces et cetera, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if my primary entry counts as 25% system in the end. But yeah, I'm basically just speaking for myself there

edit: oh okay, with B6's clarification below, that is now a non-issue :B

Edited by VampireBohrok

26203.jpg

Could you ask about dinosaur tail sections too? VBBN on Eurobricks said they'd probably be ok as constraction, but better to be sure.

Okay, here's our guidance for now: "if the pieces have appeared in a Constraction set (whether Bionicle, HF, Chima, etc.) then they count as Constraction."
  • Upvote 4

Okay, here's our guidance for now: "if the pieces have appeared in a Constraction set (whether Bionicle, HF, Chima, etc.) then they count as Constraction."

Thanks for the clarification. Now to put them all back on... :/

Unless your part count is particularly low, I don't think anyone's sets could exceed 25% system parts unless a big chunk of it is made of system parts only. Detailing usually only ends up around 10% or less.

LEGO Digital Designer (LDD) Questions
Q: If I'm making a LDD model, can I use parts in colors that don't exist?
A: Modified or painted elements aren't allowed for physical entries, so in fairness digital entries should be limited to pre-existing colors as well.

Are there pieces in LDD that aren't produced in real life? How do you know what's what? :blink: I'm using regular LDD, not Extended.

A: Modified or painted elements aren't allowed for physical entries, so in fairness digital entries should be limited to pre-existing colors as well.

Are there pieces in LDD that aren't produced in real life? How do you know what's what? :blink: I'm using regular LDD, not Extended.

My understanding is that in Extended Mode you can add pieces in colors that have not been produced. You cannot use those in your creations for this contest.

The judgers of each forum.. can enter in the conquest? and, can i use old and out of line pieces?

No, the six judges cannot enter. Yes, you can use any LEGO piece you own as long as it has not been cut, painted, or otherwise modified.

Just a question: does a background story help at all with the originality part? Like, for the judges, does it help them understand the MOC more if there is a bit of info?

I will certainly be reading the stories people create (as long as they're not too long!). But keep in mind the judges are from all over the world and English is not always their native language. So while the story can't hurt, don't make your MOC rely on it.

My understanding is that in Extended Mode you can add pieces in colors that have not been produced. You cannot use those in your creations for this contest.

So if I use pieces only from the regular version, it should be ok? Idk how to check if each individual piece has been released in that color before o.O

So if I use pieces only from the regular version, it should be ok? Idk how to check if each individual piece has been released in that color before o.O

As far as I know, regular should only have released pieces. You can also use Extended for legal colors that aren't on regular (like Keetorange shells from 2015), but regular is safest.

• Upvote 1

I've notice all the entries on the submission topic link to some image-hosting website.  My question is, can one just put the images on BZP, like member Torchbearer just did?  (and even Torchbearer had a link to a gallery, which was why I asked).

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

I've notice all the entries on the submission topic link to some image-hosting website.  My question is, can one just put the images on BZP, like member Torchbearer just did?  (and even Torchbearer had a link to a gallery, which was why I asked).

Torchbearer's image is still hosted on an image-hosting website, he just embedded it instead of linking to it. You can certainly use the BZPower gallery for your images though if you want to.

Can I post a video with my entry showcasing a function?

Sure!

I forgot to ask this earlier: on the submission topic, if I'm submitting two models at the same time, can I submit them both in one post, as long as I make it clear they're separate?  Something like this:

Entry 1:

[text]

[image]

Entry 2:

[text]

[image]

Or can there only be one entry per post?

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

Awesome, thanks! Also, can Galidor and Duplo pieces be used? At least as part of the setting?

Yes, they would fall under the System side of the ratio.

Does water count as a non-lego part? Provided that it is contained within official Lego parts, of course.

Yes, that is definitely a non-LEGO part and could not be included as part of your MOC.

EDIT: Do Lego canisters (Specifically kraata cans) count?

You can use canisters in your MOC.

I forgot to ask this earlier: on the submission topic, if I'm submitting two models at the same time, can I submit them both in one post, as long as I make it clear they're separate?  Something like this:

Entry 1:

[text]

[image]

Entry 2:

[text]

[image]

Or can there only be one entry per post?

Yes, you can put them both in the same post.

Should I be fine using zamor launchers on my moc?

Yep, those are Bionicle pieces.

While you are correct, please do not answer questions if you are not contest staff.

But it doesn't require contest staff knowlage to answer it though. :???:  It was obvious in the rules and he was just pointing it out.

When submitting an entry, will entire galleries be judged, or just the main photo? For example, if I make a MoC with something interesting on his back that doesn't show up in the main photo, would it bear any weight?

Also, if a submission exceeds the 25% rule, would we be allowed to re-enter it after removing some System parts?

Thanks.

IetTsFQ.png

Should I be fine using zamor launchers on my moc?

Yep, those are Bionicle pieces.

While you are correct, please do not answer questions if you are not contest staff.

But it doesn't require contest staff knowlage to answer it though. :???:  It was obvious in the rules and he was just pointing it out.

It's better to let contest staff answer contest questions, because we know the rules for sure. In the past, when people have responded to questions with the 'obvious' answer, I've had to do a fair bit of work sorting out the misunderstandings that ensue.

When submitting an entry, will entire galleries be judged, or just the main photo? For example, if I make a MoC with something interesting on his back that doesn't show up in the main photo, would it bear any weight?

Also, if a submission exceeds the 25% rule, would we be allowed to re-enter it after removing some System parts?

Thanks.

Galleries may be taken into consideration, but it's a good idea to have a really strong entry picture in case your gallery isn't seen.

You cannot modify an entry once it's been submitted. Please be sure it follows the rules before you submit it.

Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes!

Will the bio of the MOC be read when judging?

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

For once, I feel moderately confident with my MoC's quality. I'm a little worried about my Technic-System ratio, though. Both the exact and roughly visual piece counts are definitely over 75-25 for Technic/CCBS/Bionicle/etc. but visually it might look more 70-30 or 65-35 due to a couple large System pieces. Is the ratio judged by a visual piece count or by space?

Edited by Toa of Gallifrey

Will the bio of the MOC be read when judging?

Just a question: does a background story help at all with the originality part? Like, for the judges, does it help them understand the MOC more if there is a bit of info?

I will certainly be reading the stories people create (as long as they're not too long!). But keep in mind the judges are from all over the world and English is not always their native language. So while the story can't hurt, don't make your MOC rely on it.

For once, I feel moderately confident with my MoC's quality. I'm a little worried about my Technic-System ratio, though. Both the exact and roughly visual piece counts are definitely over 75-25 for Technic/CCBS/Bionicle/etc. but visually it might look more 70-30 or 65-35 due to a couple large System pieces. Is the ratio judged by a visual piece count or by space?

The ratio is a rule of thumb and is up to the judges' discretion. It's based on piece count and is there to ensure that you're building a constraction MOC.

The ratio is a rule of thumb and is up to the judges' discretion. It's based on piece count and is there to ensure that you're building a constraction MOC.

Does that mean it's okay to have a 50-50 Technic-System count if it's only from putting a ton of studs on everything for decoration? Or is it still frowned upon as opposed to sticking to decorative bits like spikes and fins that constraction sets have featured?

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Does that mean it's okay to have a 50-50 Technic-System count if it's only from putting a ton of studs on everything for decoration? Or is it still frowned upon as opposed to sticking to decorative bits like spikes and fins that constraction sets have featured?

Try to stick as close to the ratio as you can to make it easier for the judges.

Is it possible to use the bionicle 2015 pieces?

And if yes, then does that mean we can also use them on LDD (for example: onua's purple shells)?

Yes, you can use them in a physical MOCs or in LDD.

OMG finally a contest to prove my not advanced skills and lose, i will work in this right now but i doubt mine is going to  be better than the ones of the proffesionals.  -_-  I´m doomed.

I know how you feel. I too do not feel as if my entry will win. But, I still had fun trying, anyway.

• Upvote 1

Soooo...I haven't MOCed in years now but this is just what I needed to get back in the game. 

Good luck all. 

Also: I don't have any pieces newer than 2011 BIONICLE -- never actually bought any HF sets. It's ok if my entry is restricted to those parts, right?

{Z}