A Slightly Different Tale

Taka Nuvia

Yeah, we really should have more comics like this. I really like the style you've given your art since goodness knows when, and it's been applied really well in comic form. Also these are pretty funny, which is doubly awesome too. I like the whole self-referential style of humour you use (at least that's what I think it is anyway). The long update schedule hardly matters when there is this much quality in the work. I'll have to remember to check back here every now and again.signoff.png

crickety man.....

good nigh t

lonk

Taka! its been so long, every time i think about you i come and watch your work for a few days and then get busy with life, and now youve exceeded everyones expectations and made it to the front page!Grats!now onto the comics.....yeah, they are great, id be [lying] if i said i could see anything wrong with them... though i would like it if you made them in color lol (and yes, i know thats harder to do, im just saying id LIKE it not you HAVE to)well, i think ill run by your profile page and read the last months work while i have the time today, and Grats again on making it to front page! you certainly deserve it!

Edited by -Windrider-
That phrase was kinda iffy!

my_card.jpg

credit to Bonesiii for the av,

credit to xecha for the template for the card, but I did all the work on it, thank you very much!

credit to taka nuvia (or her current name) for the original skullbud .2 file of which i edited,

to make the thing you see in my sign-off, if/when i use them

I am the who when you ask; "Who's there?" I am the wind blowing through your hair

I am the shadow on the moon at night, Filling your dreams to the brim with fright

I am The Darkness underneath your bed, I am the thoughts inside your head

Who Am I, You Ask? I Am One Of Many, And Many Are The _G.R.I.D_

WE ARE _G.R.I.D_ AND OUR TIME HAS COME

I love this.However, I do find it slightly jarring that the first ever front page comic is hand drawn- possible anti-sprite bias there?(No offense. But this does seem to be the only hand-drawn comic on the forums at the moment./0

I don't think it's so much being biased against sprites as it is a proper introduction to her comic, establishing what it is and what it's going to be. Leading in with a sprite comic and hand-drawing everything else would be more jarring and misleading IMO. I'm not sure anything in her demeanor has suggested that she dislikes sprites, it's just not her chosen medium. Just a thought. (Also, congrats on the front-page post! Well deserved, I say. ;) )

tumblr_inline_n50tp1mirL1r0vgjj.gif
「どこに行けばいいんだ・・・」「タ・コロ村はもうおしまいだ・・・」タ・コロ村の村人達
hey it's Studio Comic

• 2 weeks later...
sorry.jpg

Badly drawn apology pic is badly drawn, I apologise for that. Another thing I am sorry about is kind of neglecting this topic. After all that happened... please forgive me. Rading all the comments in here made me really happy, and it still does.Now, comic update!06 - The marketStill not making sense? o.oNow onto some of the questions etc.:@gameboy49: impossible, because I've never read homestuck. :)@Janaro: I didn't make the choice :shrug:@Kakaru: Yep, sprites are not my medium. I tried them out, but they never worked for me :lol: But some people can do awesome things with them, so... *shrugs*@Phyoorii: yes, it's kinda self-referential. Most of the time. ^^Once again, thanks for the feedback everyone! :happydance:

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

Your badly drawn apology looks non-bad. Here's some advice about hand-drawn comics. Don't ever think twice about your drawings. For example, don't look at your work and think, "Oh gosh, that looks horrible." or "This line looks messy..." and so on. Things like that hinder your work. And believe, I've been there and done that. Just get your work out there and wait for the criticism, is what I tell myself. Your doing great so far! :D

Y U NO UPDATE MORE OFTENAnyways, I like the new comic. I had a couple qualms about it: the first is something pretty irrelevant because it applies to a specific issue with one panel, and since you're probably not going to go back and edit it, it's useless. The second is a more general thing, namely that I'd like to see more shading. I don't mean that you have to add colour or anything, I just think a bit more shading in the characters would help give your comic a more eye-catching look, as well as making your characters stand out from the crowd. As it is, it feels pretty two-dimensional, a shame since everything else is so well done. : /

tumblr_inline_n50tp1mirL1r0vgjj.gif
「どこに行けばいいんだ・・・」「タ・コロ村はもうおしまいだ・・・」タ・コロ村の村人達
hey it's Studio Comic

Your badly drawn apology looks non-bad. Here's some advice about hand-drawn comics. Don't ever think twice about your drawings. For example, don't look at your work and think, "Oh gosh, that looks horrible." or "This line looks messy..." and so on. Things like that hinder your work. And believe, I've been there and done that. Just get your work out there and wait for the criticism, is what I tell myself. Your doing great so far! :biggrin:

Haha, thanks, but I could do much better, and that I know. ^^I post all my stuff anyway;) But thanks for the avice, and motivation. ^^

Y U NO UPDATE MORE OFTENAnyways, I like the new comic. I had a couple qualms about it: the first is something pretty irrelevant because it applies to a specific issue with one panel, and since you're probably not going to go back and edit it, it's useless. The second is a more general thing, namely that I'd like to see more shading. I don't mean that you have to add colour or anything, I just think a bit more shading in the characters would help give your comic a more eye-catching look, as well as making your characters stand out from the crowd. As it is, it feels pretty two-dimensional, a shame since everything else is so well done. : /

...because I'm either busy or lazy ._.I'm not really satisfied with it, either. :shrugs:No, anytime you spot anything that's awkward/off, please tell me; this way I won't make the same mistake over and over again.I've been considering that for quite some time, too, and I'll try to do so more often in the coming comics. (and, as said, I'm not really happy with how the latest comic turned out, but ah well).The "Toa of Powers" comics will be kept in a rather simple style, though. ;)Thanks for the feedback so far!

Comic update! :happydance:07 - Toa of Powers: A change of directionOMG plot twist http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/sarcastic.gifI know I keep jumping back and forth between my current 2 arches, I hope it all makes sense, though.

Great to see you back Taka ^_^Edit: Next time, please leave some specific feedback. You can find some information on this under "Rules for Posters/Reviewers" in the Comics Rules. Basically, it helps to show that you've read the comics, which is always a good thing!-Wind-

Thanks, and it's great to hear from you again, too. I hope you'll enjoy the comics! :3

Very dark plot twist, but I had to laugh at his line! :PI'm curious to see how this will tie into Taka Nuvia's story, if it does at all. It's fun to read either way. :)

pony_herd_really_tiny.png

In the meantime, you shall be loved and tolerated.

-----------------------------------------

I am both Toa Mata Nui and Dragonfly the Luminescent

Very dark plot twist, but I had to laugh at his line! :PI'm curious to see how this will tie into Taka Nuvia's story, if it does at all. It's fun to read either way. :)

Hehe, thanks. ^^ Well, the twist came rather surprising, even for me. But let's see what the comic maker thinks about it:plottwist_col.jpg_thumb.jpg (click for full view, as always)I doubt it will. But we'll see. ^^

Ah so that's how the makuta were invented. Great job on the comic. (even though its small)

Thank you! :3

I'm not sure I was supposed to laugh, but I did. (Can Toa just turn into Makuta? I'd like to see him try, haha.)Enjoying the Toa of Powers arc so far. Keep up the good work!

I'm glad to hear it made you laugh, really! It shows that I haven't moved too far from my original intent with these comics. ^^Thanks!

Aaaaaaaand Taka Nuvia manages to bring along another comic to make me laugh.So that's how Makuta are made.BTW, what are the Toa of Power's powers?

Yaaaaay! :DHis powers? All powers. All powers you can think of. All powers that exist, as well as those he makes up. Except for cooking. Why? :P

Yes, power can bring complacency. Well done here. I don't normally read comics, but the particular attention to detail and the humor...I can actually get it. :)I particularly liked the last comic's dialogue..."It won't hurt me." But of course, it will hurt the Toa of Powers...:)And I like the side story with the "tubes" on the back of her head. Such a biomechanical reference.

Aww, I understand what the author is thinking of his character. I hate it when my own characters run off and do something without consent. :P (In reality, I changed some plot endings to the exact story I intentionally avoided.) The author's reaction made me smile. :DNice new avatar, by the way. Very bold and eye-catching.Did Taka Nuvia ever have a background story? Besides this topic, I don't know anything about Taka Nuvia, and I was wondering if you had older comics or a short story about her. She's a very interesting character, and I'd like to know more about her. :)

Guys, there's going to be a delay with the next comic. comic Contest 1 is draining my entire blood and creative energy. Sorry. ._.To show you all that I still care a lot about this topic and you all, and am not dead yet, I'll now reply to your comments. ^^

Looks like he was so bored, he wanted to try being a Makuta. :P

Bored, or frustrated, maybe? If I were in his position, I'd definitely be frustrated. :P

She is TOTALLY rolling her eyes. And he is so dead.

The makuta is now officially a she. :P (Nope, I was not sure when drawing the comic ^^)

Awesome comic!Can't wait till the next comic.He is soooo bad!

Thanks ^^

I'm guessing the Toa of Powers isn't well-known for his sharp wit. XPGreat job, as always!

Weell... you're right. o.oThat's a bad thing...

Yes, power can bring complacency. Well done here. I don't normally read comics, but the particular attention to detail and the humor...I can actually get it. :)I particularly liked the last comic's dialogue..."It won't hurt me." But of course, it will hurt the Toa of Powers... :)And I like the side story with the "tubes" on the back of her head. Such a biomechanical reference.

Whoah, thanks a lot, and I hope you'll enjoy future comics as well! :3The sidestory will be continued after the Toa of Powers arch. ^^

Aww, I understand what the author is thinking of his character. I hate it when my own characters run off and do something without consent. :P (In reality, I changed some plot endings to the exact story I intentionally avoided.) The author's reaction made me smile. :biggrin:Nice new avatar, by the way. Very bold and eye-catching.Did Taka Nuvia ever have a background story? Besides this topic, I don't know anything about Taka Nuvia, and I was wondering if you had older comics or a short story about her. She's a very interesting character, and I'd like to know more about her. :)

Mine always do. That's why I hate writing concepts of plots, since I know preparation is pretty much in vain - everyone's going to do whatever they want, anyway. :sarcastic:Haha thanks. ^^ It was, as always, taken from an artwork of mine. ^^

Something tells me Taka has a little crush on Toa of Powers... ;)Anyway, great work. I can't wait to see more.--CV

Um... just to make that clear, the maktua in the current comics has nothing to do with Takanuvia. Sorry about any confusion. :SBut thanks a lot!

You're gonna have to make an award section in your first post, because I'm giving you an award! :biggrin:Edit: Please PM awards unless they are part of an otherwise non-generic post. Thanks! -Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-

Long time no see, guys!Anyway, I've got a Comic update for you:09 - KriyaI hope it makes sense. ^^If you notive any fluctuations in the characters' looks, I apologize for that, but in some cases, I've still got to get used to them...

Oh, okay. I understand now.--untitled.png

Okay then. Glad I could clarify things! ^^

You're gonna have to make an award section in your first post, because I'm giving you an award! :biggrin:Edit: Please PM awards unless they are part of an otherwise non-generic post. Thanks! -Wind-

Thanks (again). I'm really happy that you consider these award-worthy :)

I am very appreciative both of your skillz of an artist and also that laziness comic. Very real truth, and very really must be overcome. Speaking of the which, I ought not to be on BZP right now XDI wish success upon your endeavors, and I applaud the success that I have already seen. ^_^

Thanks a lot. :3 Yeah, I like that laziness comic a lot, too... because it's true xD

I'm guessing that Kriya's not her real name.Also, what's a Makuta doing with a "torture" device? I thought Makuta had so many powers, they didn't need such devices. :P

I'm guessing that Kriya's not her real name.Also, what's a Makuta doing with a "torture" device? I thought Makuta had so many powers, they didn't need such devices. :P

... well if I were a makuta, I wouldn't tell everyone about my name, either... (does it make sense? For me it does...)Just because it's more fun that way. :P I mean, if you have enough imagination, you don't need a computer for entertainment, but you want one. It's pretty similar. xDEdit: fixed the coding Edited by Taka Nuvia

Not bad! I actually think the first comic was my favorite in terms of artwork (the pencil with the face made me chuckle. XD). Well, I haven't had a gut-bursting laugh yet, but I don't think that's the overall tone of the comics. They seem to have some sort of plot (and I like the idea of there being a comic author and his creations as characters). I like how you're using two different character styles too. The artwork is pretty good and I like how these are hand-drawn. Hmm... other than making a reference to a carnival side-show, I think I've pretty much covered it. Nice comics, I'd love to see more. ^^

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

Comic update! :D10 - AwakenLame title for a comic that's more of an interlude, anyway x3 But I think the art style is nice this time.

"For you it's Kriya! ... But for everyone else, it's Jenny."Awesome job! I can't wait to see what's next! :biggrin:

Haha... thanks!

Not bad! I actually think the first comic was my favorite in terms of artwork (the pencil with the face made me chuckle. XD). Well, I haven't had a gut-bursting laugh yet, but I don't think that's the overall tone of the comics. They seem to have some sort of plot (and I like the idea of there being a comic author and his creations as characters). I like how you're using two different character styles too. The artwork is pretty good and I like how these are hand-drawn. Hmm... other than making a reference to a carnival side-show, I think I've pretty much covered it. Nice comics, I'd love to see more. ^^

In terms of artwork, it's my favourite, too ^^*shrugs* To be honest, I have no idea what the overall tone is. Some are funnier than others... and some are lame xD At least in my opinion...I do hope there's a plot. But since I only pre-plan about the next one or two comics or so, I can never be sure.Thank you!Yeah, carnival side-shows... sure... ^^

Oh wow ... he really is a Makuta now.Is this a separate arc from Taka Nuvia's story, or is it going to tie in? Either way, it's gonna be fun seeing what the Toa/Makuta of powers is going to do. :D

• 2 weeks later...

The very obvious colored pencil look is awesome, for me, at least, it's softer on the eyes than computer images or even something like markers. They also give it a richer color, and allow better blending. At least in my experience :P Most all of them brought out a smile or a chuckle! Good work! :)Sincerely,Late To The Party

• 4 weeks later...

Okay... guys, I'm sorry, it's been forever since the last update... I feel really bad about this. =/aaanyways, here you go for the latest one11 - Glorious revenge?... I hope there's still someone who remembers these comics Dx

Oh wow ... he really is a Makuta now.Is this a separate arc from Taka Nuvia's story, or is it going to tie in? Either way, it's gonna be fun seeing what the Toa/Makuta of powers is going to do. :biggrin:

Haha, yep... or he just finally got the possibility to actually put these dark personality traits to use. ^^Well I hope you enjoy the latest comic, then...

Taka draw pretty fire!</caveman>

Taka simply draw lines

The very obvious colored pencil look is awesome, for me, at least, it's softer on the eyes than computer images or even something like markers. They also give it a richer color, and allow better blending. At least in my experience :P Most all of them brought out a smile or a chuckle! Good work! :)Sincerely,Late To The Party

Well thanks a lot! :DSincerely, even later xD

Been so long since I posted in here...still as funny as ever, though. Love the latest comic. =D I agree with Phyoohrii, there really should be more comics like this. These so far are very well-drawn, love the jokes, Taka. This latest one is probably my favorite so far - great job! ^^

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...