Comprehensive Bionicle Alternate Model Database

Volitak_Boxor

There's a dragonfly-like enemy in BIONICLE Heroes (it might be called the Acid Fly) that's just Toa Metru hips and short double-ball sockets, so that'd be an easy CGI model to make in real life assuming the colours aren't impossible.

Oh, and apparently Kyry had creator-made instructions all along, bringing the total count of contest models with instructions to seven:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=478683

They should really mention that on BS01...

By the way, is it possible some contest models like Miserix could have been disassembled by their creators in a way that no 100% legitimate instructions could ever be produced of them?

Edited by TomRoid

Pre-forums purge sig kept for historical purposes:

Some cool Bionicles are the combiners. Example: Toa Jovan

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=309724

This is incredibly awesome, heck a few of those I didn't even know existed. I remeber loving the Destral cycle in particular, of course that was before we got like 5 more technic motorcycles. The Kardas Dragon is still one of the coolest combiners to date imo.

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

• 2 weeks later...

I have two WIP documents about Contest Models' instructions/galleries and non-physical models in media (online games, video games, etc.); should I contribute my information to the database anyway even though it's not exactly "short-term"? I mean the latter could just be the physically buildable models like some 01-04 Matoran (counting Vakama/Nokama/Whenua/Onewa/Nuju/Matau Movie Matoran, maybe?), BH Acid Fly and so on, or could just denote those unbuildable (like maybe the MNOLG Makuta Void).

I mean I'd perhaps get some instructions made but (more or less) I don't think I have all the parts necessary to make the instruction-less ones.  :( I'll see what I can do...

Also, how do we start going about doing the inventories?

Edited by TomRoid

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

I am happy to report that Phase 1 of creation of the Comprehensive Bionicle Alternate Model Database is complete!  All combiners are listed with an image, and all official Lego-released instructions have been compiled into nice PDFs (or JPEGs, in a few cases) and linked.  If anyone takes the time to look through it and has any feedback, I would love to hear it.  Now, what's next?

First, a few minor items:

- The Sea Spider's instructions appear to be incomplete and/or incorrect.  The eyes seen in the photo are never built, and the customary final step of 2005 sets of adding the Rhotuka is omitted.  I think that we ought to make our own instructions that match the official photo from the Rahi Beasts book.

(A small aside... the 2005 instruction books were pretty terrible, in some spots.  Boggarak turns red for one step, eye colors are all over the place... Not good.)

- The second Korean Piraka combiner has official instructions, which leads me to believe that the first does, too.  Unfortunately, I can't find them online.  If there are any good internet sleuths around who could look into this, it would be greatly appreciated.

- If instructions for any new 2015 combiners are released, we'll need to be sure to update the database.

Now, the big ticket items.

- Many models simply don't have official instructions.  To compensate, we can use the photos to build the sets ourselves and then photo step-by-step instructions for anyone to use.  I have an example of what I intend that I plan to upload soon, so then we can discuss if there's any formatting we want to do between our fan-made instructions.

- Part inventories for each model were discussed at this project's inception, and it sounds like a good idea, but I don't have any idea about how to go about creating them efficiently.  Is anyone aware of any useful Lego inventory-creation tools?

I have two WIP documents about Contest Models' instructions/galleries and non-physical models in media (online games, video games, etc.); should I contribute my information to the database anyway even though it's not exactly "short-term"? I mean the latter could just be the physically buildable models like some 01-04 Matoran (counting Vakama/Nokama/Whenua/Onewa/Nuju/Matau Movie Matoran, maybe?), BH Acid Fly and so on, or could just denote those unbuildable (like maybe the MNOLG Makuta Void).

I mean I'd perhaps get some instructions made but (more or less) I don't think I have all the parts necessary to make the instruction-less ones.  :( I'll see what I can do...

TomRoid, it sounds like you've got some good stuff ready.  I don't mid if you go ahead and append your WIP documents to the end.  It would probably make sense to divide the database into 3 parts: Combiners (what's already there), Contest Models,  and Buildable Media Models (MNOG Matoran, etc.).  Thanks for getting that together.

At this point, I've pretty much reached the limits of what I can do all on my own (at least for a while), since I don't actually have my sets with me currently.  If we want to continue to improve this project, we'll need to chip in as a community.  I look forward to making this database even better!

• Upvote 1

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

TomRoid, it sounds like you've got some good stuff ready.  I don't mid if you go ahead and append your WIP documents to the end.  It would probably make sense to divide the database into 3 parts: Combiners (what's already there), Contest Models,  and Buildable Media Models (MNOG Matoran, etc.).  Thanks for getting that together.

Your welcome! Now watch as the latter turns out to just be a few MNOLG Matoran and the dragon fly from BIONICLE Heroes!

But in all seriousness, despite me pursuing the third section, there is admittedly a crazy amount of media models that were stylized or had non-physical colours. Like 2001 had Matoran and Rahi, 2003 had the rebuilt Matoran, 2004 had the comic Rahkshi and Toa Metru Promo Disc original Matoran, 2006 had several BIONICLE Heroes an VNOLG creations, 2007 had the dead Ta- and other Mahri-Nui Matoran, as well as Hydraxon's Tale Fish Rahi, etc. Incidentally, I found out some information about 2001 alternate models here and Pereki's recreations of those models here. I'll see what I can find in terms of totally buildable models, though. There's also the issue of creations that are obscured or hard to see properly (Kikanalo Hordika, Tales of the Tohunga enemies, Fikou Nui, etc.). Also, do we include somewhat differently coloured versions of pre-existing models (such as the black and orange Fikou from 2001 Promo images or the black and silver Fikou from BIONICLE Heroes)?

I've put in replica instructions of the contest models (which certainly beefs it up a bit), but we must remember (and maybe with the media models too) their level of accuracy; maybe noticeably denote them as "replica instructions" if it has accuracy problems unless it's a model you could probably completely accurately recreate like maybe the Metru Mantis. That, and the instructions here are photographed with other colours used so, we may have to replicate the replica instructions.  :P There's also one decidedly fan-made model Rahi of the Tunnel Stalker and I don't even know where that came from. It's not even listed in "Fan-Created Content" on Biosector01. And there are two contest models that don't even have pictures.

Ironically (? Coincidentally?) enough, some of the golden constractions (assumed all unbuildable, because they're gold) are actually based of off the contest models. I've only spotted the Metru Mantis here (10 minute mark), but there are apparently more, as stated here. I might have spotted the Proto Drake in an earlier playthrough video, but I could be mistaken. And if it's miscellaneous information worth contributing, the Mukau, Protodax and Manutri were all designed by Daniel Lipkowitz, who also did other combiners for the LEGO Club Magazine (so whether that means all of, some or none of the other magazine combiners, I'm not sure).

EDIT: Here's the dragonfly I was talking about. It looks like it could be basic blue, but you could maybe also say that of Vezok's dark blue tone in the game. I also don't know whether the "wings" are Vezok's sand blue or Thok's medium blue.

acidfly.png

Edited by TomRoid

This will be very helpful as I am trying to make many of the main combiners like the 2001 Rahi.

Just completed the Pit war tortoise and the new Tahu combiner, although I won't be keeping him together.

Wow, did you manage to avoid breaking any lime green pieces? :D

This will be very helpful as I am trying to make many of the main combiners like the 2001 Rahi.

Just completed the Pit war tortoise and the new Tahu combiner, although I won't be keeping him together.

99.9% sure he broke one.

cringe

All right, here's some Matoran Nui instructions that I put together: http://tinyurl.com/obttjj3 .  Can someone verify their accuracy?  (I'm not sure if I attached the blue torso in the right spot.)  Also, what do you think of the format?  Would more info be helpful enough to justify the effort?

On another note:

99.9% sure he broke one.

One of the biggest reasons that I dislike the Pit War Tortoise.

sqtd1i.png

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

All right, here's some Matoran Nui instructions that I put together: http://tinyurl.com/obttjj3 .  Can someone verify their accuracy?  (I'm not sure if I attached the blue torso in the right spot.)  Also, what do you think of the format?  Would more info be helpful enough to justify the effort?

On another note:

99.9% sure he broke one.

One of the biggest reasons that I dislike the Pit War Tortoise.

May I ask what the other reasons are?

Also, what's this thing in the bottom right corner? Can anyone identify it?

035.jpg

EDIT: Nevermind, it's a Vako (thank you BS01).

Edited by TomRoid

Just something to add: Out of the three non-attacking "Rahi" models in BIONICLE Heroes, I think the unnamed dragonfly and fish (Acid Fly and Ruki?) both use parts in non-existent colours, which just leaves the Fikou. That counts, right?

• 2 weeks later...

Shows you what simply looking around on the set's sources on Brickipedia will do...

Yes, Piraka Kaita's legitimacy officially confirmed at last, as we see images of it in real life.

And the Irnakk one has instructions!

Unfortunately though, the uploader has only put the first half of the instructions. And it seems like (at least to this point of the instructions) the hand that usually involves the extra Irnakk parts is just bypassed, and the pin in the neck isn't used. Still though, it's great that I found this!

• Upvote 1

Looking at the completed (phase 1) document right now. Really good comprehensive list. Glad the set numbers and instructions are there. What's the Aqua Blaster Blade doing there though? 

Those 2003 Matoran combiners are uuuuuugly!

Also Volitak_Boxor, your Matoran Nui instructions seem to be accurate. :)

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg

Looking at the completed (phase 1) document right now. Really good comprehensive list. Glad the set numbers and instructions are there. What's the Aqua Blaster Blade doing there though? 

It's a contest model, but I think someone got the wrong idea and listed it as an alternate model. I'll go fix that...

Thanks for the Aqua Blaster Blade fix and the Tahtorak upload, TomRoid.  And great find with the Korean Piraka instructions!  The instructions for the other model were pretty detailed, so I'm surprised that the Zamor-hand shows up without any specific instructions.  Perhaps the back page would shed some light, if an image of it is ever found as well.

sqtd1i.png

Thanks for the Aqua Blaster Blade fix and the Tahtorak upload, TomRoid.  And great find with the Korean Piraka instructions!  The instructions for the other model were pretty detailed, so I'm surprised that the Zamor-hand shows up without any specific instructions.  Perhaps the back page would shed some light, if an image of it is ever found as well.

What's the Aqua Blaster Blade situation? 

cringe

That gallery is indeed an excellent resource; I have always appreciated the work put into it. It is missing 2010's Gaardus, but otherwise does cover everything else I can think of right now aside from the aforementioned Kirikori Nui and Ranama. As they are constructible and instructions were provided on the old website, I feel like they should count.

Icarax seems to be missing from the gallery too.

I wish Miserix was an actually Alternate/Combi model.

I wonder if any other information exists on constructing him at all.

You're welcome! I'll see if I can ask the person to upload the rest of the instructions.

What's the Aqua Blaster Blade situation? 

Someone simply listed it with the combiners/alternate models instead of the contest models.

A minor suggestion, do we user the presumably higher quality uploads of the Kabaya Rahkshi combiners from the website that had the Japanese Bohrok combiner in leau of the Kabaya ones?
bio_001_02.jpg
bio_002_02.jpg
EDIT: Yeah, can someone ask on the website for me actually? :P It's just kind of difficult.
Edited by TomRoid
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Instructions for the Kopaka/Protector of Ice combiner have been found!

• 1 month later...

This is a cool project. I remember trying to figure out the contest winners a long time ago. I'm kind of proud of myself for discovering that Japanese Bohrok combiner, seeing as it's getting more attention than I thought it would.

I remember I found quite a few of the contest winners on Brickshelf many years ago. Unfortunately, I can't remember the users' names or what the users called their creations.

There are some other things missing from the miscellaneous section:

Sand Tarakava

Set_Sand_Tarakava.png

Brakas

Rahi_Brakas.PNG

Mahi (two versions)

Firemaha.PNG

Mahi.PNG

Ussal (Legend of Mata Nui)

0004458.jpg

Moa

QftT_Rahi_Moa.PNG

Lightning Bug

Hoto-Like_Bug.PNG

Electric Bug

QftT_Rahi_Electric_Bug.PNG

Spider

QftT_Rahi_Blue_Ant.PNG

Bug

QftT_Rahi_Lightning_Bug.PNG

Bird

QftT_Rahi_Green_Bird.PNG

Scorpion

QftT_Rahi_Scorpion.PNG

Cliff Bug

QftT_Rahi_Cliff_Bug.PNG

Lavaboard

250px-Lavaboard.PNG

Legend of Mata Nui Bird

BIONICLE_The_Legend_of_Mata_Nui_Inorgani

Chute Serpent

Inika_Island_Assault_Chute_Serpent.png

According to BS01, Tunnel Stalker was designed by former admin Pekel, but doesn't say for what.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Upvote 2

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

There isn't a section for prototypes of sets that didn't get released (or at least were marginally different from the version that was released), but it's up to Volitak_Boxor whether he wants to make one or not, as small as it could potentially be. Though the Sand Tarakava does use a Yellow Ruru that wasn't ever officially released, so painting (unless you had a prototype Yellow Ruru) would be mandatory, which is so far avoided with this list. As for the instructions, Munty would probably be able to help us out there.

The thing about some of those other models (some of which I might have gone over and discluded because of the following reason) is that they use stylised or impossible construction (Mahi), parts that don't exist in real life in the proper colour (LOMN Ussal with the teal Tohunga arms) or construction that isn't even recognisably LEGO (Chute Serpent), and so far while Volitak_Boxor has included media models, it was specifically those that were buildable in real life. I don't know whether he'd add a section for non-buildable ones (maybe with notes on what's inaccurate and even how to replicate it with painted and/or cut parts and/or altered construction), but we'll see. I'd gladly work on it to add these other models in such a format though. It's just that he kinda seems to be MIA at the moment.

I'd personally really like to physically recreate some of these models with my BrickLink Wanted List, even if in only "replica" form, like with the Chute Serpent.

The Tunnel Stalker is weird: not even Greg can answer about it. I'd like someone at BS01 to just explain where the heck it came from.

I also found some MNOG components pointing to how "unnofficial" the construction of the Mahi was: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=411674

The Chute Serpent looks mostly possible to me, it's just that some of the parts don't look like real LEGO parts. At first I thought the ball joint pieces wer 2004 matoran limbs, but they look different. The tip of the tail looks like a Visorak foot, but it can't connect to the piece under it in that way and it looks incomplete. As for the Mahi, it and several others were interpreted and built by VezokofZakaz, here:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=533174

I've also located several galleries of Contest Winners:

Kraata-Kal

Darkness (actual instructions) (original gallery)

Firedracax

Lurker

Minion (semi instructions)

Primal

Silence

Metru Mantis

Phase Dragon

Proto Drake

Silver Chute Spider

Guardian

Alternate Teridax

Hagah Plasma Cannon

Vortixx Rhotuka Battle Axe

Tahtorak

Tunnel Stalker (Pekel's gallery)

Most of these I got from BS01, but I think I may have put some of them there in the first place a long time ago. Here are some other galleries from someone who built his own versions:

Ravager

Charger

Shadow Stealer

Silence

Metru Mantis and Proto Drake

Spinner's creator used to have a Majhost gallery, but the site has been down for some time, sadly. I also distinctly remember finding a Brickshelf gallery for the Crystal Climber.

There's also this thing. The user claims they won the Rahi Contest.

Here is a guy who made his own interpreted instructions of Artakha Bull, Doom Viper, Metru Mantis, Phase Dragon, and Razor Whale.

What about this? It's on the Club magazine page announcing the Rahi Contest. It looks kind of like the Catapult Scorpion, but the Catapult Scorpion was a winner of the contest.

EDIT: Are we allowed to talk about the other BIONCLE forum site? I remember we weren't allowed to before. On that site I found confirmation that the MantasTamer is indeed a contest winner, and found a gallery of the Crystal Climber.

The ball-joint sections look like (but I'm not sure if this is the actual construction) short axles with balljoint pieces on both ends, which you could use in dark grey. However, it looks like the longer section near the head is multiple copies of that impossibly pasted onto each other, so what you could do is make that section merely a long axle with ball-joint pieces at both of its ends and near its middle. The tail head looks like non-LEGO construction, but what I thought of doing was, indeed, using two silver Visorak foot pieces. And the head is taken from the Lava Hawk "sprite" of the game.

Well, Brickshelf is unfortunately down, but I managed to see the galleries of the Tunnel Stalker and how, yes, it said it was in the BIONICLE Encyclopedia. Mystery solved! But all in all, great job finding all of those galleries!

I ought to check if that gallery of the user who claimed to win the Rahi contest is the Rock Lion, a model that won but wasn't in the book.

Huh, I've never seen the Club magazine page model before. Could potentially not be canon and what not but still might be worth including.

I'm not sure if we're allowed to mention it or not so just PM me the link to the gallery ;)

EDIT: Sorry, accidentally posted three times. Please delete the other two posts if you can, whoever.

Edited by TomRoid

The ball-joint sections look like (but I'm not sure if this is the actual construction) short axles with balljoint pieces on both ends, which you could use in dark grey. However, it looks like the longer section near the head is multiple copies of that impossibly pasted onto each other, so what you could do is make that section merely a long axle with ball-joint pieces at both of its ends and near its middle. The tail head looks like non-LEGO construction, but what I thought of doing was, indeed, using two silver Visorak foot pieces. And the head is taken from the Lava Hawk "sprite" of the game.

Well, Brickshelf is unfortunately down, but I managed to see the galleries of the Tunnel Stalker and how, yes, it said it was in the BIONICLE Encyclopedia. Mystery solved! But all in all, great job finding all of those galleries!

I ought to check if that gallery of the user who claimed to win the Rahi contest is the Rock Lion, a model that won but wasn't in the book.

Huh, I've never seen the Club magazine page model before. Could potentially not be canon and what not but still might be worth including.

I'm not sure if we're allowed to mention it or not so just PM me the link to the gallery ;)

Something I forgot to point out. Many, but certainly not all, Matoran appearing in MNOLGII are buildable. Some of them you can simply swap masks with an existing Matoran. The biggest problem is the Le-Matoran, and to a lesser extent the Onu-Matoran, because none were released during 2003, so there are no lime green or regular green torso pieces (there is, however, a dark green torso that came with Vorzakh). Onu-Matoran may be less of a problem because Rorzakh came with black torsos. And then there's the back pieces, which have only been used in the 2003 Mtoran, so don't exist in any color except white, red, tan, and medium blue.

Edit: A list of 2003 Matoran that I think can be built:

Toudo
Arktinen
Pakastaa
Talvi
Mamru
Taipu
Dosne
Shasa
Nixie
Agni
Brander
Kapura
Kalama
Maglya
Nuri

I say "I think" because some of the colors, particularly light grey and dark gray, are somewhat hard to identify. I compared an image of Kopeke from the game to others to determine what was possible. Also, there are some matoran with masks the same color as Matoro's, but I'm assuming that Matoro was just colored in the wrong shade of blue.

As for the Mahi, it and several others were interpreted and built by VezokofZakaz, here:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=533174

It's cool that you were able to find all of those Brickshelf galleries. I have actually seen another version of the Mahi in set form which, although it uses a cut matoran arm, seems just about as close to the original as far as coloring without painting here

A Turaga

You are a very wise Turaga.

Ultimate Bionicle Knowledge Quiz

Sorry I haven't been around much;  I'v been busy with school, etc., and I've mostly been lurking lately.  As far as media Rahi go, if they can be built, just not in the right colors, I think they're fine to be included with a note.  It'd be way too redundant to list all the Matoran who could be built with color errors, but since most Rahi have varied construction, I think it'd be fine.  I mean, lots of Rahi could come in different colors, anyway.  Even if the Sand Tarakava isn't official, I think it's iconic enough (relatively speaking) to include.  Plus, I've seen the bits of Munty's instructions - they look really nice.

Once it's summer and I'm back home with my sets, I think I'll work more on some of the models that don't yet have instructions.  Until then, I'll keep checking in, but I don't think I'll get too much done concretely on my own.

Oh, and TomRoid, thanks for finding the Kabaya Rahkshi images.  They look nice, and I'll get those in soon.

sqtd1i.png

I just discovered a binder full of printouts I made a LOOOOONG time ago (at least 8 years) of Brickshelf (and other) galleries of various contest winners. Not only are many of the ones I already mentioned in there, but so are Gladiator, Tracker, Vanisher, and Conjurer (who I forgot to mention earlier: here). If I can;t find their respected galleries, should I scan in the old printouts I made? They'd be pretty poor quality, as they were probably relatively low-res to begin with, and they're blown up to fit a whole page.

Also, I'm working on an archive of the known contest winner galleries. I'm hoping to make a zip/rar archive and upload it somewhere.

(In response to the potential scanning) Go ahead, it's better than nothing. Nice to see you're working in that field of models. I've put some amount of them (in terms of entries, not instructions/galleries) in the database.

I can't really build anything, since all my stuff is stored in the attic. I might try to get it down sometime, but it's in the garage attic. That means it's sitting over a camper and tons of shelves and boxes of stuff that belongs to other members of my family.

However, once I do get it down, I was working on replicating some of these models before it got packed away, so hopefully that stuff is still intact.

EDIT: I tracked down Tracker. HERE

EDIT 2: I talked to my mom about getting my BIONICLE stuff out. Turns out it's not in the attic above the camper, but behind the camper. Only the garbage bag full of canisters is in the attic. This makes getting my stuff potentially easier.

EDIT 3: Somebody made their own instructions for various Rahi Contest winners here: Tahtorak; Artakha Bull/Doom Viper/Metru Mantis/Phase Dragon/Razor Whale). Many colors aren't accurate, however.

EDIT 4: Apparently, Tracker's creator did a book signing for the Dark Hunter guide at a LEGO store. Tracker was put on display there: here.

EDIT 5: More Dark Hunter recreations.

EDIT 6: Hopefully last edit of this post: I found Vanisher here. I've also scanned my printouts of Gladiator and I'm trying to figure out the best way to share them. I'm reluctant to upload them to Brickshelf as it's not my creation and the original images may still be on there.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like some good work on the contest model front.  I've shifted my efforts over to BS01, now that the set database is starting to come together.  I put up some instructions I made showing a way to convert the main Kabaya Turaga Combiner model into the other two forms.  I also made some basic Matoran Kaita instructions, just for completeness's sake.

sqtd1i.png

Going to LEGO's replacement part form and typing in the Korean Piraka set number yields "no results." Are we sure it's not a bootleg or something?

EDIT: I'm in the process of gathering parts to make the two Matoran Kaita, so I can post detailed instructions if wanted. They're pretty simple, though.

Going to LEGO's replacement part form and typing in the Korean Piraka set number yields "no results." Are we sure it's not a bootleg or something?

Shows you what simply looking around on the set's sources on Brickipedia will do...

Yes, Piraka Kaita's legitimacy officially confirmed at last, as we see images of it in real life.

Well, yeah.

Also consider they're more "set packs" than usual sets with usual set numbers, so that might be why they're not there.

Well, yeah.

Also consider they're more "set packs" than usual sets with usual set numbers, so that might be why they're not there.

I've been able to find other co-packs on there, that's why I find it questionable.