Comprehensive Bionicle Alternate Model Database

Volitak_Boxor

I put together a set of photo instructions for the Japanese Bohrok Combiner, if anyone wants to see:

http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/6/6f/Fusion_Bohrok_Instructions_Steps.pdf

(I should really update the Google Doc sometime soon...)

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

I put together a set of photo instructions for the Japanese Bohrok Combiner, if anyone wants to see:

Good. The existing instructions were some of the vaguest I've ever seen, just like the instructions for Krahka. At least they were in color, though.

I finished building the Jala/Huki/Onepu Kaita, so I could make more detailed instructions now.

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

Good. The existing instructions were some of the vaguest I've ever seen, just like the instructions for Krahka. At least they were in color, though.

I finished building the Jala/Huki/Onepu Kaita, so I could make more detailed instructions now.

I tried making some instructions for the 2001 Matoran Kaita last week, which are up on the set database on BS01 but haven't been included in the Google Doc yet.  Of course, nothing's stopping you if you want to take a crack at it, too.

Do you, by any chance, own the full set of 2003 Matoran?  I don't, and it'd be nice to have a set of instructions for their combiner.

sqtd1i.png

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

I tried making some instructions for the 2001 Matoran Kaita last week, which are up on the set database on BS01 but haven't been included in the Google Doc yet.  Of course, nothing's stopping you if you want to take a crack at it, too.

Do you, by any chance, own the full set of 2003 Matoran?  I don't, and it'd be nice to have a set of instructions for their combiner.

Unfortunately, just Hafu and either Macku or Hahli.

Does anyone have instructions for the rahkshi Kaita found in a Japanese lego club magazine?

No, but people have recreated it themselves. I am not aware of any fan-made instructions either, but a YouTube user names Loosertribe mad a video review of it and shows it off from various angles and in various poses. Here is a Brickshelf gallery with many pictures. BS01 claims that it isn't an official combiner and was merely sent in by a fan, but any discussion on this was lost.

Another issue: what about the alternate models pictured on the back of the playset boxes? They never had any instructions made, but they're probably still important enough to include. Plus, some of them don't look too complex to recreate. I also discovered that I still have some playset boxes (Piraka Stronghold, Race for the Mask of Life, and Toa Terrain Crawler, specifically), so I can try and provide better quality images.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

Does anyone have instructions for the rahkshi Kaita found in a Japanese lego club magazine?

No, but people have recreated it themselves. I am not aware of any fan-made instructions either, but a YouTube user names Loosertribe mad a video review of it and shows it off from various angles and in various poses. Here i a Brickshelf gallery with many pictures. BS01 claims that it isn't an official combiner and was merely sent in by a fan, but any discussion on this was lost.

Another issue: what about the alternate models pictured on the back of the playset boxes? They never had any instructions made, but they're probably still important enough to include. Plus, some of them don't look too complex to recreate. I also discovered that I still have some playset boxes (Piraka Stronghold, Race for the Mask of Life, and Toa Terrain Crawler, specifically), so I can try and provide better quality images.

Rahkshi Kaita: The video's a pretty good source, but I plan on putting together a set of photo instructions for this model in the next couple of weeks, if you're interested.

Playsets:  I thought it would be a good idea to document the alternate models from the playsets, but one of the main issues is the lack of good photos of the backs of boxes, because that's the only place the alternate models for the 2005 and 2006 playsets are shown.  If you could provide some better photos, that'd be a big help.  This isn't as much of an issue for 2007 playsets, because their alternate models are depicted in the backs of their respective manuals, sans instructions, and there are high-quality PDFs of these booklets readily available online.

sqtd1i.png

I'm interested in the photo instructions for the Japanese rahkshi Kaita, the pics on brickshelf don't really help out since they don't zoom in on important areas and Loosertribe's video is too low quality.

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Did we add the Cable Crawler?

Yeah, Cable Crawler's been up for a while now.  What Munty recently found was previously-unknown packaging for a two-pack of Vakama Hordika and Whenua Hordika that advertised the Cable Crawler, but we've had Cable Crawler instructions since 2005.

sqtd1i.png

I scanned the best I could. Not only was the Piraka Stonghold box too big for my scanner, but the actual image of the alternate model was, too. I had to scan three images. If someone could make a composite image of the three, that'd be great (I'd do it myself, but I'm sure it would turn out terrible). The box for Race for the Mask of Life was also too big, but the the image of the alternate model wasn't. However, since I had to squish the box into place, the upper left corner of the image is somewhat blurred (it really only affects the Hahli minifigure). All images are in a raw, lopsided, untrimmed format, as I haven't edited them yet.

Piraka Stronghold 1

Piraka Stronghold 2

Piraka Stronghold 3

Race for the Mask of Life

I scanned the best I could. Not only was the Piraka Stonghold box too big for my scanner, but the actual image of the alternate model was, too. I had to scan three images. If someone could make a composite image of the three, that'd be great (I'd do it myself, but I'm sure it would turn out terrible). The box for Race for the Mask of Life was also too big, but the the image of the alternate model wasn't. However, since I had to squish the box into place, the upper left corner of the image is somewhat blurred (it really only affects the Hahli minifigure). All images are in a raw, lopsided, untrimmed format, as I haven't edited them yet.

Piraka Stronghold 1

Piraka Stronghold 2

Piraka Stronghold 3

Race for the Mask of Life

Those are some great scans!  I pieced the Piraka Stronghold images together, and it came out pretty nice.  Someone with Photoshop could probably do better, but it lines up in the important images.  I took the scans, found images of the rest of the playset alternate models, and put them into a PDF here: http://tinyurl.com/qzmkld6. There's a pretty wide range of resolutions; it'd be good to get high-res scans for the 2005 playsets, Lava Chamber Gate, and Piraka Outpost if anyone owns those boxes.

Also, I updated the 2001 and 2002 sections of the Google Doc with links to the photo instructions I've been putting together these past couple weeks.

sqtd1i.png

You know, most of the alternate playsets look pretty simple to me. Since my playsets are all destroyed anyway, I could probably start making instructions for them.

Edit: Since BrickLink has entries for the boxes of sets as well as the sets themselves, maybe it would be worth a try to buy a box of the playsets and then scan it. They're rare, but right now there's a Tower of Toa box on Bricklink for 70 cents.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, what I suppose is relevant is that Munty gave me instructions for the more accurate head build of the Tahtorak model besides two grey parts he couldn't figure out, so I could post more about that soon.

Pre-forums purge sig kept for historical purposes:

Some cool Bionicles are the combiners. Example: Toa Jovan

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=309724

I've put together a set of photo instructions for the Turahk/Panrahk Kabaya Combiner, since the published instructions have so little detail.  They're available here.  I've got the Kurahk/Lerahk model built, so hopefully I'll have a similar set of instructions ready in a couple days.  My next goals are photo instructions for the Turahk/Vorahk/Guurahk model, and I might be able to cobble together enough parts to tackle Krahka soon, since I recently got a couple more Toa Metru sets.  Oh, and I added the Kabaya combiner for the 2003 Matoran to the Google Doc, too.

Edit: Kurahk/Lerahk instructions are done, visible here

Edited by Volitak_Boxor

sqtd1i.png

I have already built The Battle of Metru Nui and The Visorak Battle Ram alternative models as best as I could figure them out, and given the parts are all used, i would say they are fairly accurate. I could make instructions for those? I looked really close at the picture and counted studs as I went to make sure I used the correct pieces. I'm also working on The Tower Of Toa and The Visorak Gate as well, but don't have much time currently.

Were you a member of the Protosquad? if so please PM me! I'm looking for Grey Plastic Krana Kal, Or GPKK. I only need the 8 Variations of the GPKK to have The only complete collection of BIONICLE in the world! Please contact me if you, or someone you know has any GPKK!

gpkkset.jpg

Mask Collector

MC

Not sure if anyone is making much progress with them, but I would be open to helping out with instructions for the alternate playset models in a couple of months.  I'm currently unable to do so because I am in the middle of a move and won't have my sets for a while.

On a different, but still alternate/combo model related note, has anyone attempted to make instructions for the combiner model made from Onua and the Protector of Earth?  I was hoping that Lego was going to release instructions for it with the May/June Lego Magazine like they had with the Tahu and Kopaka models.  And with the release of another Lego Magazine and no sign of the instructions, I am not holding my breath.  Such a shame since I was really hoping for combo models for Lewa, Gali, Pohatu and their respective Protectors.

- :t::l::h:

• Upvote 1

So here is the nearly accurate Tahtorak build.
Munty gave me these four pictures for the accurate head construction:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/TomRoid/2014/2015/yimg-416788381-1-1476557127.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/TomRoid/2014/2015/yimg-497556933-1-2125552457.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/TomRoid/2014/2015/yimg-627440686-1--1821829408.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/TomRoid/2014/2015/yimg-849747595-1--1179183041.jpg
Unfortunately, there are still two unknown grey parts seen that are not accounted for, as seen in this official Justin Lamb model pic:
0004748.jpg
But besides that, Munty is confident that he got everything else right.
compare.png
EDIT: Can anyone tell me the difference between the instructions before and after the images of the model in this gallery? http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=407397&n=0

Edit 2: Large images linked. Please embed images only if they're below 750 kB!

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 1

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

Did you make instructions for that kabaya matoran combi model?

Nevermind what I just said.

Edited by Vrokorta

Kopaka.png

stone_good.png

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I have already built The Battle of Metru Nui and The Visorak Battle Ram alternative models as best as I could figure them out, and given the parts are all used, i would say they are fairly accurate. I could make instructions for those? I looked really close at the picture and counted studs as I went to make sure I used the correct pieces. I'm also working on The Tower Of Toa and The Visorak Gate as well, but don't have much time currently.

Not sure if anyone is making much progress with them, but I would be open to helping out with instructions for the alternate playset models in a couple of months.  I'm currently unable to do so because I am in the middle of a move and won't have my sets for a while.

On a different, but still alternate/combo model related note, has anyone attempted to make instructions for the combiner model made from Onua and the Protector of Earth?  I was hoping that Lego was going to release instructions for it with the May/June Lego Magazine like they had with the Tahu and Kopaka models.  And with the release of another Lego Magazine and no sign of the instructions, I am not holding my breath.  Such a shame since I was really hoping for combo models for Lewa, Gali, Pohatu and their respective Protectors.

- :t: :l: :h:

Mask Collector and Toa Lhikan Hordika, not a whole lot of progress has been made on the alternate model front.  Cheesy Mac n Cheese mentioned that he might try to work on a couple models, but I don't know if he has started yet.  If you could provide instructions, that would be fantastic, but at this point, if you think you've got the correct build, even some photos of the final model from a couple different angles would be helpful.  Also, if you have access to the original boxes and a scanner, some high-resolution scans of the images of the alternate models on the box backs would be good to have.  Cheesy made some good scans for Piraka Stronghold and Race for the Mask of Life, but as you can see here, the current images for the other 2005/2006 playset alternate models are either watermarked or have a very low resolution.

On another note, since you two have very extensive collections, would either of you happen to own an opened copy of a Kabaya version of one of the 2003 Matoran?  Those sets contained instructions for another combiner model, but there isn't a very good scan available online.  More details in this topic, if you're curious.

As far as Onua/PoE goes, I don't think anyone has attempted instructions yet, although I think I recall someone trying to recreate the model itself a few months back.  At this point, I doubt we're seeing combiners for the $15 Toa and their Protectors, which is a shame, but I'm still hoping we get official instructions for the Onua/PoE model.

TomRoid, thanks for sharing the Tahtorak info.  Where in the model are the gray pieces that are unaccounted for?  

sqtd1i.png

You're welcome. They are in the head of the Tahtorak, as seen in the Justin Lamb red carpet image. I can't pinpoint them exactly myself, but it looks like they might be right under the light grey "grip" pieces in the head.

Wow, yet another unearthed combiner! Unfortunately, I can kind of see why it is so forgotten! Though to be fair, I do like the "face" they've made with the pieces. And while perhaps not well constructed, it has a kind of crazy look that actually reminds me somewhat of Boneheads. I'd take this over, or at the very least find it way more memorable, than the other two '03 Matoran combiners.

You're welcome. They are in the head of the Tahtorak, as seen in the Justin Lamb red carpet image. I can't pinpoint them exactly myself, but it looks like they might be right under the light grey "grip" pieces in the head.

Wow, yet another unearthed combiner! Unfortunately, I can kind of see why it is so forgotten! Though to be fair, I do like the "face" they've made with the pieces. And while perhaps not well constructed, it has a kind of crazy look that actually reminds me somewhat of Boneheads. I'd take this over, or at the very least find it way more memorable, than the other two '03 Matoran combiners.

You mean VooDoo Heads.

Kopaka.png

stone_good.png

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

You mean VooDoo Heads.

Oh. Whoops! Excuse me.

EDIT:

b01c0663d6_101320811_o2.jpg

Some guy with an insane but awesome collection has recreated some of the alternate playset models over on his blog:

http://tahunuva2.blog.cz/rubrika/moja-zbierka

Edited by TomRoid
  • Upvote 2

Does anyone know if the Tahtorak's head y-joints are supposed to be dark grey and or dark blue grey?

In this picture it looks like the latter:

0004747.jpg

Edited by TomRoid

You mean VooDoo Heads.

Oh. Whoops! Excuse me.

EDIT:

b01c0663d6_101320811_o2.jpg

Some guy with an insane but awesome collection has recreated some of the alternate playset models over on his blog:

http://tahunuva2.blog.cz/rubrika/moja-zbierka

He also made the Catapult Scorpion! 

http://tahunuva2.blog.cz

• Upvote 1

I finally got around to building the manga-inspired Japanese Rahkshi Combiner (built from Turahk, Guurahk, and Vorahk), using the Loosertribe video as a guide.  Here's a set of photo instructions I put together: http://tinyurl.com/owyxh8f.  Hopefully they're more user-friendly than trying to build based off of a video.

sqtd1i.png

I talked a bit with Munty and in addition, we think the "tongue" y-joint/Bohrok eye pieces in the Tahtorak's head are actually trans-neon orange. In addition, we also think the y-joints in the head are dark blue grey, but it's anyone's guess over whether the light grey or light bley colour was used.

For reference, these are all the non-comic official Tahtorak images that I know of.

tahtorak_big.jpgTahtorak.png

0004747.jpg0004748.jpg

Apologies if these images are too big.

Edited by TomRoid
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for posting that Lego Magazine scan. I'd forgotten about that picture. Just to clarify, is this the piece you are referring to as the "Y joint?"

Indeed.

• 1 month later...

I've added the Skull Creature combiners to the Google Doc.  I still don't know what to call Warrior+Slicer+Basher...  Maybe the Lego Magazine coming in a few days will have more combiner info.

sqtd1i.png

• 2 weeks later...

So I came across this old BZPower news archive page that shows the picture of one of the other "Manga Inspired" combiners and lists it as being one of the four "Inspired by BIONICLE" creations available on BIONICLE.com's Builder's Section without instructions but rather a single image, and also that they weren't seen on the LEGO Club website. So I went through the Wayback Machine for the Builder's Section page around this date and did indeed find four "Inspiration Models" without images saved. And clicking for a close-up gave more information.

"Inspirational Model #1" uses Turahk, Vorahk & Guurahk so it matches the magazine-published combiner and states "Tip: Use the Rahkshi shoulder parts to create the body of this imposing character.".

"Inspirational Model #2" uses Panrahk, Kurahk & Lerahk so it matches the BZPower listed image's combiner and states "Tip: Use Rahkshi back parts to create the long arms. Remember that good balance is the most important part of this model!".

"Inspirational Model #3" uses Onua Nuva, Pahrak-Kal, Pohatu Nuva & Nuhvok-Kal so it must be the duo combiner and states "Tip: Using Onua Nuva and Pahrak-Kal, you can create the silver version of this Ape-like creature. By combining Pohatu Nuva and Nuhvok-Kal, you can also create his golden-faced twin!".

And "Inspirational Model #4" uses Tahu Nuva and Kohrak-Kal so it must be the remaining combiner and states "Tip: Combine the various limbs of both Tahu Nuva and Kohrak-Kal to create extra-long legs!".

So yeah, I believe we can now count these as being LEGO-sanctioned and thus, include them in the document. Interesting, isn't it? We're still unearthing simultaneously obscure and ridiculous combiners, and in this case three/four.

• 1 month later...

As I've said elsewhere, great find!  When I have time with my sets, I'm definitely going to try to make photo instructions for #4, as I've already built the model, and I'm pretty sure it's accurate (as far as we can tell from the lone photo).  I'm reasonable certain I'll be able to build both models of #3, but I don't know if I'll be able to reconstruct the torso of #2 without help; any volunteers?  Also, I've (finally) added these models into the Google Doc.

Last chance for the iOS Onua + PoE instructions or maybe a new Skull Villain combiner is probably coming up in a couple days in the Nov-Dec Club magazine, though I can't say I have high hopes.  Otherwise, we'll probably want to try to make our own instructions for Onua + PoE.

sqtd1i.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

ALRIGHT LET'S GET THIS TOPIC LOCKED WITH A YEAR+ LATER POST

So I've added in more G1 contest models, even pictured runners up, unused winners and the canonised prisoners of the pit models. I've also added in more media models and notable prototypes even if "non-pieces" are used like impossible construction or parts that don't exist IRL.

Here's hoping we can continue to catalog every known Bionicle creation applicable for this document!

Please don't lock this topic, I say we should have it pinned to the top as an official topic.

MC

• Upvote 3

Were you a member of the Protosquad? if so please PM me! I'm looking for Grey Plastic Krana Kal, Or GPKK. I only need the 8 Variations of the GPKK to have The only complete collection of BIONICLE in the world! Please contact me if you, or someone you know has any GPKK!

gpkkset.jpg

Mask Collector

MC