Bionicle is for kids, not adult collectors

Munty

Who does Bionicle belong to?  

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I HAVE PURPOSELY OMITTED THE OBVIOUS/CORRECT ANSWER THAT BIONICLE IS FOR EVERYONE! DO NOT NULL YOUR VOTE, JUST CHOOSE ONE!

Just read the last few posts in the now closed 'Solid Gold Mask of Creation' thread which made me want to start a new one...

Long story short there were comments made towards the end which suggest Bionicle is just for the youngsters out there, to play with and enjoy. Rather than the grown-ups among us who like to collect and protect it (ok, sometimes we play with it too...) I'm curious now as to where the community stands on this point. Is Bionicle for us hardcore oldies or should we be passing the torch onto our children by now? 

Bear in mind this is NOT about who Lego is making the new sets for. Clearly their main demographic must be children, though they won't care too much who buys it so long as people do I guess! The question here is whether children or adults have a greater entitlement to Bionicle. Please note that I almost included a fifth 'Bionicle belongs to everyone' option in this poll but decided it's so obvious that that's the CORRECT answer it would invalidate the poll. So you must choose from one of the answers listed. 

Kids new to Bionicle, getting it for birthdays, Christmas, etc and playing the out of it.

Adult collectors new to bionicle - never heard of Toa but are going to collect all of the masters!

Those of us who were kids the first time around and played the out of it back then but have no collection now, just fond memories.

Or finally those of us who loved it so much we never stopped collecting and enjoying it, even for the fours years Lego stopped making it!

Am interested to see where this goes, please comment when you vote and tell us what category you come under as well!

Edited by Munty
  • Upvote 1

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Ok well my answer to this question is obviously the last one "The children of yesterday, Lifelong collectors" because obviously if there was a BIONICLE is for everyone option like you said everyone would choose it, but I think if we are talking in terms of who it belongs to and should be collected by, then it should be us, the fans who followed it through the first 9 years, the memories we have of it, whether it be getting the new sets for Christmas or Birthdays, or just buying them with our own money, it was so special to all of us, the great memories of the story, waiting for the next comic or book to find out more. But I welcome new fans, they get to see what we saw in BIONICLE for so long, and I hope they enjoy it as much as we do.

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

I nulled because my answer wasn't provided. I think that Bionicle is for everyone who enjoys it. It isn't limited to children or to adults, in my opinion.

-Rez

Didn't read the first post did you.  <_<

I'm shocked to see THREE people voted that Bionicle was for them, rather than for the new guys.

Bionicle is intended to be purchased by young boys, but it certainly helps to have adult fans who grew up with the original line.

I know it's a bit of a tough question to answer because your reaction is to be epected once you take away the obvious answer. People voting need to try and consider that although they can only make one choice that doesn't mean they are voting AGAINST the other options...

I for eample voted for lifelong collectors as I am one myself! That is by no means to say I don't think anyone else should be allowed to enjoy it as well mind you. I'm all for seeing children playing with the new 2015 sets and I'll probably get one for my own boys hoping that they can grow up with the new sets just like I did with the old. The fact of the matter is though, they'll inevitably break them, lose them and generally lose interest after a while. Anyone ever seen Toy Story?! 

So to clarify, I have DELIBERATELY omitted the obvious choice because YES Bionicle is for everyone but that would be a terrible poll which didn't reflect anyone's true personal opinions... Imagine that the poll is where you choose a primary answer and then you have all the space below to discuss it and say things like 'I choose so and so BUT...' 

Please don't null your votes, there's no moral highground in Lego  :D

I don't like the use of the word belong- it makes it seem like Bionicle is only for one group. I would have answered that Bionicle is meant for kids, but that was not provided as one answer. Of course, when those kids get older, chances are they will still like Bionicle. And just because something is meant for kids doesn't mean older people cannot enjoy it. Just look at the My Little Pony fandom. 

• Upvote 2

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

YEah I don't get the MLP thing. A friend of mine made MLP inspired Power armour (WH40k) which is cool and all but why MLP? If you're going to make something cool just do it, don't mess it up with ponies...

I should have probably mentioned that I didn't really choose the wording of the question. It's directly quoted from one of the comments made in the other thread! Honestly I can't think of a better way to ask the question. Again, it's difficult to imagine this question without the obvious fifth answer. Seems it's hard to even ask the question properly knowing that the right answer isn't going to be an option!

Bionicle belongs to LEGO. :P

But no, more seriously, it belongs to all fans. It may be targeted at a particular group, just like it used to be back in the day, but just like back then there's absolutely nothing stopping someone outside that group from buying sets, following the story, and discussing the whole theme with the rest of the fan community. The idea that any group in particular has greater rights to be a fan of Bionicle is a problematic one, and is in fact part of the reason why some older fans can be hard to get along with—they often feel like their opinions and preferences are all that should matter to the theme going forward, when they're just one voice among many, and oftentimes their preferences are at odds with the bulk of Bionicle's audience. That's not to say that Bionicle "belongs" to new, younger fans, either; just that older fans who recognize their place in the community and tailor their expectations to the reality of that situation are more likely to have their voices heard.

• Upvote 9

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Wow, I can't believe I'm seeing this type of poll...

Where's the "for everyone" option? It almost seems like you're trying to cause fighting by forcing sides to be taken.

~|ET|~

• Upvote 11

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Gen II Bionicle is definitely for the new kids. Old fans might be hyped by it, but the new sets were not designed for them.

It's only right that younger kids get a chance to experience Bionicle.

Gen I Bionicle belongs to anyone who remembers it or is interested and wants to learn about it.

Where's the "for everyone" option? It almost seems like you're trying to cause fighting by forcing sides to be taken.

That's sort of the whole point... Am going to edit the first post because it seems noone is reading any of the previous posts before responding to this poll. 

I HAVE PURPOSELY OMITTED THE OBVIOUS/CORRECT ANSWER THAT BIONICLE IS FOR EVERYONE! DO NOT NULL YOUR VOTE, CONSIDER IT THE CHOOSING OF A GUARDIAN FOR THE FRANCHISE...

Edit : Scratch that, if we're choosing a guardian then that simply creates another 'correct' answer. Just make your answer based on the fact that the one you want to pick isn't there so this is the best you've got!

Edited by Munty

i'm gonna have to second ET's opinion here - it really just seems like you're trying to start a fight. you've admitted that you're deliberately omitting the answer most people will choose. and it's not just that it's the 'correct' answer - many people do in fact hold the view that Bionicle is for everyone. deliberately not including that opinion and instead attempting to force people to choose between a false dichotomy just for....the sake of argument? seems more than a little bit rude.

also, i'm not trying to take the "moral high ground" by nulling on this poll. if anything, i'm doing the exact opposite - rather, i would say that anyone who voted for any of the options you presented would be (intentionally or not) taking the "moral high ground" stance, because seriously. no one is "entitled" to this toyline, like you imply in the original post. it's just a thing that exists. people play with it. there's really no more to it than that.

Edited by Arc
  • Upvote 7

ET and Arc have said it much better than I could, but really, why is the omission of a fifth option really even necessary? I mean, for the people that would prefer to pick a fifth option, it's kind of pointless to vote at all. So that's why I nulled. I'm not going to vote for something I don't agree with, and I'm certainly not going to try to voice an opinion that I don't even hold for the sake of...whatever the sake of this is.

-Rez

• Upvote 4

Yes, going forth Bionicle's success will largely depend on a new fans to drive sales and bring new kids into fan-base. But the presentation at NYCC really shows that the Bionicle Team is thinking about us in a BIG way. We "Gen 1 Fans" in the unique position of continuing our fandom four years later, while simultaniously passing the torch to the new fans and welcoming them in. 

Bionicle belongs to us all; newcomers and old-timers alike.  :tohu:

• Upvote 11
[ blog ] onuanutbannermnolgstyle.jpg  [ Flickr ]

If I can't say that BIONICLE is for everyone, I say that we should give the new kids of this generation a chance to live the legend that we did.

• Upvote 1

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

Mask collector just doesn't need to collect any more. He already has "the most unique Lego piece" the platinum avohkii, which he flaunts around like he's some kind of special celebrity or some authority

Please watch your tone. All members on BZPower are to be treated with respect. Mask Collector has a right to be proud of his collection and is free to continue to grow it if he so desires.
  • Upvote 9

If I can't say that BIONICLE is for everyone, I say that we should give the new kids of this generation a chance to live the legend that we did.

That's what I was getting at. It IS for everyone but if you can't say that then make a choice. For the record I think that's a pretty good answer too! It's a very difficult question to ask as I've already said. If people want to read something into it that isn't there then feel free but please don't get judgemental, would be a shame to see this poll locked up while it's still so young... Also, I posted this here off the back of comments made in another thread just to see if there was an opinion here. If you don't want to contribute then please feel free not to ;)

Mask collector just doesn't need to collect any more. He already has "the most unique Lego piece" the platinum avohkii, which he flaunts around like he's some kind of special celebrity or some authority

Please watch your tone. All members on BZPower are to be treated with respect. Mask Collector has a right to be proud of his collection and is free to continue to grow it if he so desires.

BS, Ras posted that exact same comment in the thread that inspired this poll. It's completely out of context here though, has it been moved or reposted? If he's reposted, I think the guy may have issues...

Sorry that bragging makes me angry. Why don't I just brag to all those fools who don't have what I have? Exactly. I'm only saying what I really feel. I feel like mask collector wants more bragging rights so HE ALONE can have all the unique masks. [REMOVED]

Edited by Makaru
Do not bypass the word filter.

Sorry that bragging makes me angry. Why don't I just brag to all those fools who don't have what I have? Exactly. I'm only saying what I really feel. I feel like mask collector wants more bragging rights so HE ALONE can have all the unique masks. [REMOVED]

You've said your piece, and now it's time to move on, Ras. This is your last warning.

• Upvote 2

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

I voted first option as that's the largest audience and the one that the majority of the work is aimed at. That being said that's not to say the older fanbase has no stake in the franchise and that shows in how Lego has gone about including us in the unveiling of the new line. It's obviously not a black and white "who can claim it", it's shared, but definitely weighted towards the primary targets, with some considerations to the secondary targets.

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

I didn't think I was bragging, and I also don't want to come across as just looking for fame. I want a complete collection just like everyone else. I'm proud of my collection, if people ask me about it, I'm tell them about it. I don't appreciate you insulting me and saying I mistreat my collection, we're here to discuss Bionicle and the topics about it.

This particular topic is about who bionicle belongs too. I think just like Munty said, it belongs to everyone, I think the people who appreciate bionicle realize it doesn't actually belong to anyone, it's A TOY LINE! It is property of lego, I just think that if bionicle was to end that it should be remembered like it was for four years. It's a great story and I've been a die hard fan since the start, and I'm going to be as long as I can!

• Upvote 4

Were you a member of the Protosquad? if so please PM me! I'm looking for Grey Plastic Krana Kal, Or GPKK. I only need the 8 Variations of the GPKK to have The only complete collection of BIONICLE in the world! Please contact me if you, or someone you know has any GPKK!

gpkkset.jpg

Mask Collector

MC

I don't care how old you are. Bionicle is an amazing story that transcends the whole 'kiddie toy' cliché by being an amazing and gripping story and action figure line. Both mediums are blended together seamlessly and provide a form of storytelling that has been rarely seen since but immensely emulated.

And another thing is that I will happily walk into the store and spend my money on all six Toa. Because I can. If a 40 year old man can get obsessed over something as crazy as a talking pony then a 22 year old college student using his debit card to buy sets of his childhood heroes is nothing to worry about.

• Upvote 7

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

I don't care how old you are. Bionicle is an amazing story that transcends the whole 'kiddie toy' cliché by being an amazing and gripping story and action figure line. Both mediums are blended together seamlessly and provide a form of storytelling that has been rarely seen since but immensely emulated.

And another thing is that I will happily walk into the store and spend my money on all six Toa. Because I can. If a 40 year old man can get obsessed over something as crazy as a talking pony then a 22 year old college student using his debit card to buy sets of his childhood heroes is nothing to worry about.

THIS MAN SPEAKS THE TRUTH. 

Bionicle is a lifestyle, bro. 

Um, you have a green Noble Ruru. That's not exactly some generic piece, dude.

Anyway, I don't understand why you omitted the "Obvious answer". People have different opinions you know. 

As for me, I believe Bionicle is for everyone who likes a good written and epic story. If it was only for children, I don't believe this site would still exist. It has something for everyone, and I'm sure this reboot will be the same.

• Upvote 2

Hmmmmm....

I'm surprised to see so many voting for themselves. Maybe they're not taking "belongs" the same way I am -- I took it as meant to say "the new story and sets need to aim primarily for." Which is of course the new kids (most of whom haven't yet even heard of it, let's keep in mind, it's only us old fogies pretty much who are following the early reveals).

Anyways, I voted kids. Always has been for kids, always will be.

But it's a liiiiiittle bit for us too. :P

(Also, why "collectors"? Why not just new versus old? What about MOCers etc.? :P Odd wording. :shrugs:)

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I said it's for the "children of today". The art style, the simplicity of the new story and the fact that it is in fact, a toy, to me clearly indicates that Lego meant for this to be accessible to the new crowd, the kids who like Ninjago and Chima and the like. Of course that was the intention during Gen 1, too, and most of us were at that target age when we first got into Bionicle. Now that we're older and part of a "hardcore" group of fans in a small community, it's easy to see how Lego's actions can be seen as being for us, and that's true to some extent because they have a good relationship with BZP. While they can count on us to stick with the new line they seem to be very much targeting the new fans that will come in for the bulk of their sales/marketing. :)

Of course that doesn't mean we can't enjoy it. The 7-14 age range is more of a guideline, really. :P

• Upvote 2

I'm not going to null because that would feel like dignifying this poll with an answer. Bionicle doesn't "belong" to anyone, anymore than Lord of the Rings or Star Wars belongs to anyone (outside of the people who create it, of course.) If you think Bionicle "belongs" to you then you're an entitled jerk, to be quite frank. Like any story, it was created for anyone to enjoy, and if you feel the need to designate a group as the "gatekeepers of Bionicle", especially if that group includes you, you're just making a pretentious fool of yourself.

Bionicle belongs to no one. It is free for all to enjoy as they see fit.

(That being said, this all started because mask collector is making a point of making a complete Bionicle collection, which I see no issue with. As long as he's willing to take no for an answer should it come to that, what he's doing is his own business.)

• Upvote 8

I nulled.

Bionicle is for anyone who enjoys it, as others have said. Just like Transformers, My Little Pony, Pokemon, Ninjago, or any other story and/or toyline out there. Just because its a child's theme doesn't mean an adult can't enjoy it either. 

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Of course that doesn't mean we can't enjoy it. The 7-14 age range is more of a guideline, really. :P

"That's just a suggestion. They have to put that on there."

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

If you think there is an obvious, correct answer, then what would be the point of making this poll in the first place? Bionicle doesn't belong to anybody. It doesn't belong to the children of the new, it doesn't belong to the children of the past. It doesn't belong to adult collectors of the new, it doesn't belong to the adult collectors of the past. Why should we divide up the fanbase like this? Bionicle belongs to whoever wants it - it belongs to every single person who dedicates their time to it, new or past, old or young. 

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg