Bionicle is for kids, not adult collectors

Munty

Who does Bionicle belong to?  

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You've spent some decent cash on your collection. IMO you can gloat all you want. Thats pretty darn impressive. I mean, if tyou've got the prototypes? Ohhhhh boy. I has envy. 

[Please keep conversation on-topic

~Makaru]

Pride and envy - two deadly sins.

• Upvote 1

Bionicle should definitely be for all. However, as the children of today are the target audience, they are going to be catered to more than anyone else, whether we like it or not, for better or for worse. I'm just excited to see the return of the Legend.

I would like to take one brief moment for an anecdote of caution from Transformerland. Long story short, in the last few years, Hasbro has churned out some of the best Transformers we've ever seen. However, Hasbro did some "market research" and "talked more to the kids" and determined that they needed to dumb down their toys, resulting in ridiculously simple, ugly, inaccurate, bizarre, and sometimes simply dysfunctional toys that are now gracing shelves today (as well as disgracing the Transformers brand). Is this the right thing to do? 

I guess this is kind of tangential, but this topic really made me think of such a conundrum - Should quality be sacrificed significantly for accessibility/ease for children? 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

You've spent some decent cash on your collection. IMO you can gloat all you want. Thats pretty darn impressive. I mean, if tyou've got the prototypes? Ohhhhh boy. I has envy. 

~Makaru]

Bzpower-member-Prime-Axiom was my favorite character from Dante's Divine Comedy. :v

anyway, i kinda echo others here with:

A. this poll is kinda weird, since the person who made it acknowledged fully they were omitting the favorable answer???

B. the idea Bionicle, as a product, "Belongs to" a particular generation. (especially since this is its second incarnation, so it's obvious which generation it would be aimed at, :t)

and C. the use of "collectors" instead of "adult fans" seems kinda weird. :0

• Upvote 1

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

~Makaru]

You were asked to stop twice. Now you are receiving administrative action.
  • Upvote 11

I don't see why this topic exists. No offense, but why do we have to take sides? That just makes pointless arguments when there clearly is an excellent middle ground that a huge amount of people would vote for.

Bionicle is clearly for all who love it. The themes target audience may be kids, but the other fans have their own part in Bionicle. We've had huge affects on the sets and story, and we can see the obvious call-backs to the old sets that old fans praised. Lego didn't have to go there and call back to old designs and ideas, but they did, because we matter to them still.

• Upvote 5

I don't mean to "backseat mod", but everybody seems to not like this topic. It's obvious that the correct answer is that BIONICLE IS FOR EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO ENJOY IT, even though that's not an option on the poll. We shouldn't exclude any group of people. I think this topic should be locked, for there really isn't a productive discussion going on.

• Upvote 5

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

LEGO threw us a huge bone when they brought the original Toa and main bad guy Makuta back. They even redid the gear function that had been absent since 2004.

To be honest, we have nothing to complain about. We got more than a few callbacks.

Edited by Blueblur21

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

Whatever this Bionicle is, it sure doesn't belong to me. 

That's like saying I own the tree I walk past every day at school, or the road I drive on, or even the air I breathe. Bionicle is an idea that becomes reality in so many ways, but it's a free thought. It's only owned by Lego in the sense that they make money off it, but they don't own the thought of it - they can't stop people from thinking about it. People can't truly own thoughts anymore than they can own air (they just own rights and profits and money) - they pass between us without price. It doesn't belong to anyone. Anyone who wants to can see and experience it, just like everyone can breathe air. 

I voted for the children of today, because that's who should be considered first. They are the ones who the thought concept of Bionicle should be passed on to. I already "walk past that particular tree on the road", but that tree should be there for them too. They should be able to see what I saw on the road, and maybe stop to experience the shade, like so many others did, and will again.

• Upvote 5

I voted for "the kids". Even though Bionicle did bring back Tahu and the gang (curse HF for making me think of Tahu sounding like Furno), but it's the easy click-n-lock building system that made HF more kid-friendly. Bionicle is going back to the kids, who always had it anyways.

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

Since I can't vote "Everyone!!!" I voted for the new kids. It's not the old fans' Bionicle. It's the new fans' Bionicle. The old ones can enjoy it, but it wasn't brought back just for them. Once again, the truly correct answer would have been everyone but yeah.

If you think there is an obvious, correct answer, then what would be the point of making this poll in the first place? Bionicle doesn't belong to anybody. It doesn't belong to the children of the new, it doesn't belong to the children of the past. It doesn't belong to adult collectors of the new, it doesn't belong to the adult collectors of the past. Why should we divide up the fanbase like this? Bionicle belongs to whoever wants it - it belongs to every single person who dedicates their time to it, new or past, old or young. 

-NotS

You're right. The theme is marketed mainly towards new fans, but the theme is for everyone.

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

I'm really not getting why the "it's for everyone" option was omitted, since that is my legitimate opinion regarding the question asked. None of the options provided suit me, and the fact that my point of view was deliberately left out for a reason that has yet to be shared (unless I happened to miss it?) bothers me a lot.

I nulled, but that's just because posting in a poll topic while not voting at all bothers me and makes my skin itch. 

• Upvote 3

Everyone can enjoy it, that's a given.

But the line itself is aimed at young kids, this line aimed at young kids who would be new to it. It's not aimed at adults, it's not aimed at young adults, it's not aimed at teens. I imagine if something seems fun for children, but hurts collectors, Lego will go with the fun thing for the children.

Bionicle is for children, but fun for all. The majority of Lego is primarily for children. Does that mean adults can't enjoy it? No. We are definitely in the minority of Lego fans, and the kids are the ones who really bring in the cash for Lego. It makes sense that Bionicle, like many other Lego themes, are targeted towards children. But hey, it's still enjoyable for us. Adult collectors are just as much fans of Bionicle as the kids who will be begging their parents for the new sets come 2015. In fact, Bionicle was brought back to bring older fans closer to the Lego fanbase. But still, there are changes, made to appeal to children. Because it's a children's toy, whether for the literal child or the inner child within us all.

aouROFb.png

As important and treasured and meaningful Bionicle is to all of us, it is and always will belong to the the new generation. History does not belong to museums or historians, they merely show it off and make it more accessible to the rest of us, and it is still up to the younger generation to learn lessons from it and put them to use.

When we were young, Bionicle belonged to us. Now, we're handing it off to the new kids. That doesn't mean we have to step away from it, just that we can't feel absolutely entitled to it. We've had our time and our 10 years. We can't claim to own it anymore. It just ain't fair. 

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

I think Bionicle is for everyone no matter the age. Sure it is a toy for kids to play with but not only kids can play with them but teen agers, young adults, adults, and old people can play and have them too for their collections and can pass them to their family and friends when they get tired of them just as simple as that.

Since there are no option to choose For Everyone, I voted The children of yesterday longlife collector because that is who I am and I was already 28 when I started collecting Bionicle in 2001. Man I feel old to this community I think. Am I the oldest Bionicle collector out there?

Noel from the Philippines

• Upvote 1

10640418814_ff945700dc_o.jpg

Hmm. The title of the topic is clearly meant to be controversial and once people have been dragged in by the title, you omit the only right answer to the already pointless poll.

Gosh, I wonder if this topic was intended to start heated debate. <_> Hope it gets locked ASAP. I'm not going to bother putting my vote in. It doesn't "belong" to anyone except for LEGO.

Edited by XONAR
  • Upvote 3
Bliss.png

First of all, omiting the most obvious answer in this topic is like asking if you would prefer to be lava-bones or Makuta-bones.

Bionicle is for everyone that likes it, regardless of distincion. Alienating a part of the fandom based on age is downright ridiculous: Bionicle exists and came back because of us, now late teenagers or adults that sticked with it even after it's cancellation. But there is no chance for the franchise to grow withouth newer fans, who I hope they are able to enjoy both the old and new series.

Jeez, I don't get why people won't just let this thread die if they hate it so much! I said a whole page ago feel free not to contribute yet still there is so much whining! And yes I DID eplain why the obvious answer wasn't included (several times I believe) you just didn't look for it before having a moan. Also the answers that ARE provided definitely DO NOT suggest that it can only belong to kids. And I NEVER used the word ONLY in this who thread, the point was to choose the 'primary answer' for the most invested group. 

Something that could have been made clearer is that I was never talking about just the new line. I mean the Franchise as a whole. Clearly the new sets are aimed at children and the original ones were as well. Those of us who were children in 2001 aren't children anymore though, we've become adults, some of us collectors, others enthusiasts. If the second run of Bionicle lasts another 10 years then the children of today will quickly become the adult collectors of tomorrow. 

Sorry so many people don't understand the question or the answers here but maybe net time you could try reading it instead of Do NOT bypass the filter. -B6 that your obvious answer that everyone would choose, thus rendering the poll pointless, was omitted by design. It was, this is an unchangeable fact. Deal with it or get out of the topic, please don't just sit there and winge... As for those of you wishing this topic would get locked, why? What's your problem? Just turn around and walk back out, you don't need to be here so feel free to leave anytime and take you're arrogance with you. Just because I asked a question you don't like (that was inspired by someone else's throwaway remark let's not forget) does not mean you can come in here and judge it.

Edited by Black Six

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

People have read it but we highly disagree with your reasoning for omitting the obvious answer because, well, it makes no sense. If I made a poll that asked how people feel about the Phantoka/Mistika and only included the options "I despise them" and "I adore them" without including less-polarizing perspectives, and people complain that it's forcing them to take an extreme viewpoint, it is not the poll-taker's fault for refusing to commit to an extreme view, but the poll-maker's fault for trying to force people to take that view.

In other words, the issue isn't us. We're telling you this is a poorly-made poll that is trying to force people to take a perspective they don't hold, for the purpose of inciting a debate that nobody actually feels like having besides weird people with grudges. A majority of people in this topic have made it clear that they believe Bionicle is for everyone, and it's not just because it's the "obvious answer", but because, to them, that is exactly the case. No favored groups, no special privileges. Everyone. By leaving that option out, you are forcing them to either take a polarizing viewpoint, or have their voice go unheard, thus making this poll fail its purpose anyway, which is to represent the views of the community. If your poll forces leaves out a perspective just because it's the "obvious answer", it's a bad poll.

I'm tired so this could be coming across as entirely too hostile but you don't need to cuss us out (on a family friendly forum, no less) for saying that your choice to omit a view a majority of us hold reflects poorly on this poll, and to a lesser extent on you.

• Upvote 7

Honestly black we can take care of ourselves as Munty has done and people are not offering opinions, they're just saying "bionicle is 4 everyone lock dis thread" when Munty said they didn't have to throw in their "opinion" as it had only caused the thread to derail.

Honestly black we can take care of ourselves as Munty has done and people are not offering opinions, they're just saying "bionicle is 4 everyone lock dis thread" when Munty said they didn't have to throw in their "opinion" as it had only caused the thread to derail.

Is Bionicle, then, not for everyone? o:

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Munty said they didn't have to throw in their "opinion" as it had only caused the thread to derail.

the whole source of the issue here is the fact that Munty essentially said that people's opinions didn't matter and was deliberately excluding them from the poll. the problem is not the fact that people have these opinions and are voicing them.

also, were the scare quotes really necessary?

• Upvote 2

It's up to the staff whether or not a thread is locked. If you think a topic should be you can report it - there's no need to post and say that.
  • Upvote 1

I answered the poll in lieu of who Bionicle's main demographic would be, but I suppose I should have read the main post first.  :P 

I otherwise would have simply nulled because I don't think one person is more 'entitled' to buy a set than any other. Bionicle is simply for anyone who wants to take up the franchise, young or old.

sig8.png

Munty said they didn't have to throw in their "opinion" as it had only caused the thread to derail.

the whole source of the issue here is the fact that Munty essentially said that people's opinions didn't matter 

I never said that... I said answer one of those options or don't. A poll asking if you loved or hated something without an 'it's ok' option is fine so long as you eplain that you want committed responses rather than a thread full of people sat on fences. I'm not a big fan of the Mist/Phan but I'd go with love because they're more good than they are bad. If I had an issue with not being aloud to say they were just 'fine' I would just move along and leave it be.

Ras, please. Don't take my side on this. My rep is already suffering enough from this poll without your help  -_-

Also for the record, I'm not sure what I wrote there or how it got past any filter. Usually when I write a post with stars on it I'll edit it out. So sorry for whatever that was!

Now seriously, please stop posting here if you don't like the poll. It doesn't MEAN anything, it's just a poll on a website! And let's not forget, over 70 people have voted already so clearly there are less people bothered by it than there are taking offence. That is all.

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

A poll asking if you loved or hated something without an 'it's ok' option is fine so long as you eplain that you want committed responses rather than a thread full of people sat on fences.

Saying "Bionicle is for everyone" isn't "being on the fence", though. It's a completely different answer from saying it belongs to a group in particular.

And let's not forget, over 70 people have voted already so clearly there are less people bothered by it than there are taking offence. That is all.

That's a shaky assumption; you don't know how many people came in and didn't vote without saying they disliked how the poll was set up, and several people who did vote expressed displeasure at having that option left out.

Now seriously, please stop posting here if you don't like the poll. It doesn't MEAN anything, it's just a poll on a website!

If it truly didn't mean anything, would you really be getting this worked up over people criticizing how it's set up?

Plus you seem to have missed Black Six pointing out that people are entitled to their opinions on the matter and can say that they disagree. I'd agree it seems pointless since you seem to be unwilling to understand why people would dislike having a poll made to gauge opinions leave out an opinion.

• Upvote 6

• 4 weeks later...

This is something I've been thinking about for a while, and this is what I've decided:

Toys are for kids. They're made to be played with.

Adults? I don't think it's necessarily "wrong" for them to collect, or even sometimes play like a kid does

but it shouldn't be something you obsess over when you have bigger responsibilities to worry about.

While I love BIONICLE, I really think it "belongs" more to kiddos.

Honestly, where I'm at in life, I'd be more excited to get one for my little sister or brother, or my kids one day. I'd be more excited to see them happy with them (just like I was) than to get them myself. What made BIONICLE fun for me was sharing it- with my brothers. Now, I want to pas that down to younger kids. My younger cousin loved it when I got "Beeonicle" Breez (breakout) for him last Christmas. I'm like his favorite cousin now. (I find it funny that even kids who never knew what BIONICLE was, called Hero Factory--> Bionicle). Seeing him excited about it was more exciting for me than it would've been if I had just kept Natalie for myself. For me, I think it really does belong to the kids, more so than it does to anyone.

End Rant.

• Upvote 1

Interestingly, I just refreshed myself with Masters of the Universe and how, like Bionicle, the lore is dependent on toy sales, and how after 3 attempts of trying to sell Skeletor and He-Man to since the early 80's, each ending with cancellation, Matell decided to follow DC Comics foot steps and sell their figures as adult collector figures online, DC actually making a comic book line online to help tell the stories the writers want to visually tell to go along with their employers plastics. Now they are making a steady, continous source of income rather then getting a lot of cash at first but slowly down the years lose more money then they are earning.

Has it come to this? Absolutely not, but I am curious if it will in twenty years. For now, Bionicle is targeted to kids but is attracted to the fans of the previous selling period, and if Lego does well again like last time, this new incarnation will produce loyal fans just like us. A community will be forged that will likely be passed down to our children. :)

So I have two answers rather then one, because those kids might become the old collectors.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

• 9 months later...