BIONICLE MAFIA XVIII: BY THE NUMBERS 2 - DIE HARDER

Voltex

You must state who you are switching from.

E: Final Tally:

I'll have the lynching up for you all as soon as possible. Any votes or vote changes made after this post shall not count.

Suspects

#5 - 3

#12 - 3

#19 - 4 + 2

#24 - 3

Null - 7

Vote Switches Used: Quisoves, Aiwendil, Random Gibberish Person, Unit, Gengar

Edited by Voltex
  • Upvote 5

Lynching might be delayed until tomorrow due to circumstances outside my control. 

(I am awaiting responses and such)

Responses? I'm puzzled. Or are you referring to some hidden element of this game?

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I understand. I take it #19 is not the only person dying. Well, on the bright side, this seems to mean that a) we caught a Mafioso and b) Portalfig is on the level. :)

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

What do you know? I actually got it done in time to post tonight! =D

DAY THE FIRST

Blade and Zakaro crouched next to each other, examining the various piles of voting rocks that the survivors had gathered. As the two nominated leaders of the group, it had fallen upon them to determine who would be executed.

“Multi-hang?” Zakaro asked.

“That’s what it looks like,” Blade replied.

“Hold on for just one moment,” a voice said.

The old, withered form of a Turaga limped into view, leaning heavily on their staff for support. While it was undoubtedly someone that they had once known, their advanced age made it impossible to recognize them. Wheezing, the Turaga glanced at the piles.

“My wisdom supercedes your own suspicions,” the Turaga said hoarsely. “The one by the number of nineteen shall fall!”

The Turaga cast three stones into one of the piles, dooming a particular member of the group to certain death. After a quick re-count, Blade and Zakaro agreed, and the latter turned to address the group.

“The votes have been cast,” Zakaro announced. “The one identified by nineteen shall be executed on suspicion of being a Dark Hunter.”

A dark shape at the edge of the crowd burst into action, fleeing into the forest before anyone could tell who it was. Portalfig, consumed by the desire to see the Dark Hunter killed, screamed “KILL HIM!” and took off, leading the rest of the group into the dark forest with him before they could determine who it was.

---

The Dark Hunter prowled through the shadows of the forest in silence, listening to the occasional cries for help emitting from various locations as the group was once again scattered by their environment.

They had no idea….

The sound of whispered voices up ahead drew his attention - the Master of Gray’s massive claws shot out as he crept forward, ducking behind a tree as the shapes of two other Matoran came into view. Thinking quickly, he slashed the tree, causing it to topple towards the other Matoran. One cried out and took off; the other cursed as they became entangled in the branches.

---

Thud.

Shadowhawk paused in his frantic attempts to free himself as the gray Matoran landed directly in front of him, their wolfish form only hinting at their true identity. As the newcomer slowly crept towards him, Shadowhawk fruitlessly tried to pull himself free once more before sagging against the tree that had doomed him.

“Who are you?” he asked.

The Dark Hunter merely bared their fangs before leaping.

---

Portalfig nervously fingered his Detective badge as he made his way through the shadowy forest, flinching at the sounds of distress all around him but managing to remain quiet himself. While he should theoretically be safe from harm, there was always the off-chance that the Dark Hunters could discover his number by luck….

“No, that won’t happen,” he whispered, trying to reassure himself. “Discovering your number would be far too coincidental. You’re safe for now.”

That is a LIE.”

The words, drifting on the breeze, echoed in his ears as if whispered over and over again. Portalfig froze, trembling. Slowly, he forced himself to turn around and gaze into the darkness.

Nothing.

It was nothing, he thought, breathing a sigh of relief and turning around.

THUD.

The wolfish form of the Master of Gray landed directly in front of him just as he turned around, causing the Detective to leap back in terror, crying out at the sight. The Dark Hunter growled, his long, sharp claws clicking together as he shifted in place.

You think yourself to be so smart, so fearless, so powerful,” the Dark Hunter snarled softly. “You are all FOOLS. You see my face, your life is DONE!

The Detective’s screams could be heard throughout the forest as he was ripped apart.

---

The Turaga and Zakaro had managed to remain united where so many of their fellow survivors had failed and become lost in the darkness. After encountering what was left of Shadowhawk, they had taken the fallen Matoran’s mask to honour him. They had come to the edge of the dark forest at last, although the road ahead was not looking much better.

“Help me through this bush, lad,” the Turaga said, becoming entangled in a thorn bush.

Zakaro had just turned to do so when something smacked into his head from the side, clattering to the forest floor. Shaking his head to clear it, he crouched down to see the bloody mask of Portalfig… with a head still attached to it.

“What the…”

Before he could react to the rustling of the bushes next to him, Zakaro was tackled by the wolfish Master of Gray, snarling and snapping at him. The Dark Hunter swiped his claws against Zakaro’s chest, but the Matoran’s Plot Armor held against them and they shattered. Zakaro threw the Master of Gray off in the moment of distraction and quickly stood to face the Dark Hunter, who glared at him, crouched low to the ground.

You think YOU are the hero of this story?” the Dark Hunter snapped. “No - your journey ends HERE!

The Dark Hunter lunged forward, batting Zakaro’s arms away and biting down on the Matoran’s vulnerable neck, fangs sinking in. The Master of Gray tore Zakaro’s throat out and watched as his victim collapsed to the forest floor, convulsing as his blood flowed free. The Dark Hunter stared until the body was finally still.

That was finally his fatal mistake. With a guttural cry, the Turaga leaped forward as fast as their ancient limbs would allow, swinging their staff like a club and catching the Master of Gray in the head, killing the Dark Hunter instantly.

There the rest of the survivors found the Turaga hours later as they all finally made it out of the forest, staring down at the corpse of Xaeraz.

Shadowhawk, Matoran (Assigned #25) executed by Xaeraz.

Portalfig, Detective (Assigned #21) executed by Xaeraz.

Zakaro, Matoran (Assigned #11) executed by Xaeraz.

Xaeraz, Dark Hunter (Assigned #19) executed by Survivors.

ALL ROLES PM FOR NIGHT TWO.

Surviving Roles: Medic, Turaga, Shadowed One, Ancient, Plague Doctor, Dark Hunter x1, Pyro
Edited by Voltex
  • Upvote 6

I am... displeased.

No, no, you're dead! Ehehehe!

Nothing personal, you realize, I just thought you might have been a threat. Remember, I'm a wild animal. I'm more scared of you than you are of me.

Or, I was. We're dead now.

All are not the same

But three shall be as one

Freedom in the flame

The end has just begun

This is what happens when you prance around so sure of your own safety. 

Portalfig, you were volunteering to get killed with how you pretty much alerted the whole universe to your existence and role. Look what happened. You're dead now. Like me! And ToaD! 

• Upvote 2

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

Ah, well, I'm not certain what to think of this. Two Hunters down, but four villagers as well. I suppose it's not too bad, actually, given that there are twenty of us, and only six of them. If Voltex tells us true, that is.

RIP, Portalfig. :(

I'm  sorry I doubted you.

gZsNWyr.png

He never tells us totally true

I guarantee that there is a secret role which is so secret that it's unlisted

No there isn't

BTW Medic, you're literally the worst person in the world for not PMing me when I see that you have indeed been active today. But whatever, it's not like this village needs HELP or anything

Anyway, scene shall be up later

NIGHT THE SECOND

Blade stood next to the Turaga at the head of the group, staring down the road ahead. While the survivors stood upon solid ground at the moment, their path soon dipped down into the flooded streets of an abandoned town, falling into disrepair; the sinister glowing orange of a sunset in the skies above cast a chilling light upon their surroundings.

After a moment of hesitation, Blade spoke. “Let’s go.”

He slowly waded into the water, discovering that at its deepest, it went up to his chest. The rest of the group followed, some cursing quietly at their luck and the horrid state of affairs. Despite their advanced age, the Turaga kept pace with Blade at the front, holding their staff above the water with both hands.

You all believe that YOU are the heroes of this story….

Blade paused at the voice drifting upon the wind, turning to the Turaga questioningly, who shrugged. The rest of the group had not appeared to notice anything. Deciding to ignore the voice, Blade and the Turaga continued on.

You are all puppets, tangled in strings…

There are no strings on me.

The Turaga stopped, turning towards one of the larger houses on the street, built upon cement columns that had, so far, allowed it to avoid being flooded. Blade nodded in agreement - the voice was definitely coming from there.

“Continue on ahead,” he ordered. “We need to check something out. It might have some answers.”

As the other survivors continued to push through the eerily silent flood, Blade and the Turaga slowly approached the house, climbing the stairs up with trepidation. They reached the front door, took a collective deep breath, and entered the decrepit building.

“It’s a trap,” the Turaga whispered.

Blade ignored the older figure behind him, taking in the sorry state of affairs that was the entrance hallway. The house was dark, and what little light could be seen from inside only served to cast nightmarish shadows upon the walls. Blade shivered.

You saved that Staff…

You’ve made a grave mistake.

He turned into the living room as the whispers floated through his mind, freezing at the sight that awaited him. A glowing red crystal a little larger than him hovered in the corner of the room, pulsing every few seconds with a sinister red light. A dark shape could be seen inside, although Blade could not tell what it was.

In the center of the room stood a hooded figure, the Staff of Unlimited Power held in their right hand. Slowly, the figure raised their head to stare at Blade, pushing their hood back to reveal the familiar Kanohi Volitak of Voltex.

Something was off about his eyes, glowing the exact same red as the crystal behind him.

Oh, how I wish this was real, Voltex mused, the whisper echoing all around them despite clearly being spoken aloud.

With a slight twist of his wrist, the figure clenched his hand around the Staff of Ultimate Power, which vanished into wisps of smoke. It had been fake.

“Who are you?” Blade asked. “What have you done with Voltex?”

The final bow has failed,

The olden hosts are gone.

The hour of Tex is over now,

The ghost has come apart.

The figure stepped forward, eyes narrowing.

I AM Voltex.

Blade unconsciously took a step back, glancing back at the Turaga, who was huddled underneath the stairs and seemed to be trying to tell him something. Blade glanced back to Voltex.

You made a grave mistake, coming here tonight.

The kind of your worst enemy is your most valuable ally, and still you do not see the truth!

Before Blade could ask what the figure meant, both he and the crystal vanished, plunging the room into shadow. A split second later, he heard the click of the flare gun loading and dove to the floor, barely avoiding the Pyro’s attack. The Pyro, seeming unconcerned, tossed the flare gun away and pulled out his flamethrower.

“No,” Blade muttered, glancing around wildly.

“You think you are the hero of this tale,” the Pyro said softly, his voice gravelly. “You are so mistaken… none are heroes now. There are only survivors. Good has failed.”

The Pyro unleashed a bath of fire, burning both Blade and the room, which continued to burn even after he ran out of fuel. Holding back his screams and thrashing on the floor, Blade managed to reach the opposite wall and claw his way back to his feet, continuously flinching in pain as the Pyro threw the flamethrower aside and grabbed the felling axe that he had claimed from the Master of Brown.

“I embody fire,” the Pyro said. “What a waste.”

That was when Blade knew no more, as the Pyro buried the axe in his skull. The Matoran collided with the wall and slumped to the floor as the Pyro turned to leave the burning room, sick of the heat and the flames.

He stopped in his tracks at the sight of the purple-clad Dark Hunter standing in the doorway, a flamethrower of his own (far more advanced than that of the Pyro) in his hands.

“Fire is dead,” said the Master of Purple.

The Dark Hunter unleashed a furious wave of flames, consuming the Pyro. The Ko-Matoran fell to his knees as the very element he sought to eradicate instead destroyed him. The Master of Purple burned the Pyro down until he was nothing more than ashes on the floor, ignoring the sounds of the fleeing Turaga as he slowly stepped forward, crouching next to the ashes.

“Fire is no more.”

---

With the Pyro and Blade both gone, the Turaga managed to reunite with the rest of the survivors on the other side of the flooded town and procure a suspect list for the crime.

Blade, #3 (Matoran) - Killed by Pyro

Valendale, #24 (Pyro) - Killed by Dark Hunters

#1 - Found discarding purple armor.

#4 - Found with a hatchet; claimed to have stolen it.

#7 - Found with papers depicting a future journey.

#10 - Found with a small, glowing red crystal.

#12 - Found with two small jars of ashes.

#17 - Found with burns on their hands and arms.

#22 - Found with a “Phlogistinator” in their hands.

Voting is open for 24 hours. Begin.

• Upvote 6

ALSO, Just so you all know, I'll be away Friday evening (after about 4pm NA EST) until sometime Sunday afternoon, so voting this round is actually a bit shorter, and conversely Night 3 shall take longer.

The Suspects

#1 - 

#4 - 

#7 - 

#10 - 

#12 - 

#17 - 

#22 - 2

E: why does it always put a gap between the final line and the rest of the post when i paste stuff

E2: how did I miss Ehks's vote

Edited by Voltex

Hmmm..... The Phloginator hint makes sense, but by the same token that glowing red crystal #10 has is suspicious, in so much as it is obviously connected to the scene. It's not something one normally possesses, even in BZPower Mafia, and I'd be willing to bet that the crystal in the scene is somehow important.
At the risk of sounding suspicious, I wonder if a double hang could be arranged?

EDIT: On second thought, it seems to obvious.
The Phloginator hint, while hardly the most esoteric, is not going to be immediately picked up on by everyone (I had to look it up, at least.)

Voting #22.

gZsNWyr.png

The Phlogistinator, or "Phlog," is a primary slot weapon for the Pyro in TF2 that is incapable of dealing random crits (3x damage on each flame particle), Airblasting (reflecting rockets, arrows, grenades, and other projectiles, as well as extinguishing teammates on fire), and deals 90% of the damage of the stock flamethrower. But, you can charge it by dealing fire damage to gain 8 seconds of crits and full health.

All of which would have been irrelevant if I had killed Valendale instead of Shadowhawk like I originally thought to.

• Upvote 5

All are not the same

But three shall be as one

Freedom in the flame

The end has just begun

#1 - Found discarding purple armor.

#4 - Found with a hatchet; claimed to have stolen it.

#7 - Found with papers depicting a future journey.

#10 - Found with a small, glowing red crystal.

#12 - Found with two small jars of ashes.

#17 - Found with burns on their hands and arms.

#22 - Found with a “Phlogistinator” in their hands.

Not sure about 1. I think it's an obvious, er, purple herring. If every Dark Hunter is named after a color, and each has to discard armor in that color to hide, I suspect the villagers would have an especially small range of armor colors, which I'd expect to be something that'd've been mentioned... or maybe I'm overthinking this.

Likely not 4. Could easily have stolen the hatchet from the true killer.

It's probably not 7. That clue seems irrelevant. (By that logic, could be the true killer.)

Don't know about 10. Also seems like a red herring.

I don't think it's 12. Blade's body was never burnt to ash, correct?

17 is possible, though I'd expect someone to have burns on, say, their legs or something, if they crouched down next to the burning body of the Pyro.

Finally, 22 also seems overly obvious. Plus I'll mention that it's a TF2 Pyro weapon, and the MOP isn't technically the Pyro despite utilizing a similar weapon.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

I vote #7 on the grounds that we mustn't allow people to journey to the future. They could come back with enhanced tech, or having transcended their physical body, or intensely irradiated.

Actually, just forget the first two. He'd probably come back intensely irradiated.

- :burnmad: