BIONICLE MAFIA XVIII: BY THE NUMBERS 2 - DIE HARDER

Voltex

Don't worry chro, i will eat you share, and then talk to your tombstone about how great it was.

• Upvote 5

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

NIGHT THE THIRD

Burnmad trudged through the muck that rose as high as his waist, bracing himself with both hands against the towering concrete walls of the maze on either side. Both in front of him and behind him, the rest of the survivors did the same, having so far managed to stick together, surviving every trap that the labyrinth had thrown at them.

All so far, except for this one. Whatever was deadly about the sludge had yet to reveal itself.

At the end of the corridor, the survivors gathered into a tight huddle on the patch of ground that rose out of the sludge, trying to avoid stepping into the hall around the corner in an attempt to delay facing the next trap that awaited them. Burnmad remained in the sludge, helping the stragglers out; and that was when the trap activated.

With a rumble that shook the entire maze, and the screaming of motors somewhere underneath them, the levels of the sludge began to drop as it was sucked into a massive drain pipe somewhere in the middle of the corridor. The survivors still trapped in the muck stood no chance and were sucked in; Burnmad fought for several seconds to maintain his grip on the slippery slope before losing his balance, flailing wildly. Jag18 lunged forward and grabbed onto Burnmad’s arm, trying to pull him back, but was instead pulled in with him. As they were pulled towards their possible end, Burnmad yelled back at the Turaga:

“Meet us at the end of the maze!”

And with that, they were gone.

---

Poor little hero, lost in the dark;

You rise and you fall

And you lose your mark.

Poor little soldier, lost down the drain;

You rise and you fall

In the land without rain.

Poor little host, lost within time;

You rise and you fall

With the ultimate climb.

Poor little Burnmad, lost forever;

You rise and you all

In the darkness forever.

The words echoed within Burnmad’s mind as he awoke, lying on a moist, cold stone floor. He could smell the coppery scent of blood as it lapped at his legs. Slowly, he pushed himself to his hands and knees. After coughing up a copious amount of sludge, he glanced around, spotting Jag and the other survivors that had been claimed by the trap with him all lying at various points in the chamber.

He could not see whoever had spoken, but there was no doubt in his mind who the voice belonged to. Groaning, he stood to his feet, stumbling over to Jag and kneeling next to the Matoran, sighing in relief when he began to cough and wake as well. The chamber was soon filled with the sounds of Matoran hacking up the contents of the sludge they had been sucked down with, although there was no sign of it now.

Only a lake of blood.

That Staff was never yours to claim, you insolent Matoran.

The words echoed around the chamber in an endless whisper to Burnmad, but did not seem to exist for the other survivors. Pushing it out of his mind, Burnmad gathered the others together, relieved to find out that they had all survived.

Together, the group of survivors made their way out of the chamber and into the dimly lit hallway beyond, lit by a solitary row of flickering torches placed sparsely. Shuddering at the cold breeze blowing through the hallway, Burnmad led the group down for what seemed like hours, his mind foggy.

Had he been operating in a fully functional mental state, he would have connected the dots of the Matoran wearing stark yellow armor carrying a massive drill in their arms.

Come to me….

He heard the voice once more as they passed by a closed door. Burnmad hesitated, but seemed unable to continue on; his body would not obey him. Ordering the other survivors to follow Jag’s lead, he entered the room. The door slammed behind him, causing him to flinch, before he took in his surroundings.

The room was lit by the pulsing red glow of a large crystal; a dark shape was inside, although Burnmad could not tell what it was. And seated within a stone throne in the center of the room was Voltex, his eyes glowing the same red as the crystal.

“Who are you?” he asked.

I am Voltex, of course. I am the reason you are here.

“Where is here?”

That is of no concern, the figure said, his red eyes narrowing in fury. I could have saved myself if it were not for you!

Burnmad involuntarily stepped back, confused. “I don’t understand.”

You have doomed me. Your future is my past, and I shall reap my revenge NOW!

It was time to go. As the figure lunged out of the throne towards him, Burnmad turned and pulled the door open, throwing himself backwards out the open doorway. Above him, Voltex and the crystal vanished; and then, as he flipped to brace himself against the floor, he realized that there was no floor at all.

He was toppling through endless shadow, and his only companion was the voice whispering inside his head.

Do you really believe you can stop me?

You cannot stop me from taking that Staff. I am the killer of fire, the inspiration of the cult! I have slain the first scythe-wielder and the hooded figure. I have ended the village and destroyed salvation! I am darkness! I am death!

“I don’t understand!” Burnmad cried into the darkness. “Who are you?!”

I am the true master of numbers!

I am Voltex, and you cannot defeat me.

“I will end you,” Burnmad promised, as his vision began to fade. “Just give me time.”

Time? The voice seemed to laugh. You have no time.

---

Burnmad awoke once more, seated upon a wooden chair. As he glanced around, he realized that he was part of a circle; the other survivors that had been claimed by the sludge trap were all seated in similar chairs.

All except for one.

Jag was kneeled on the ground, slumped over; and a drill went through his body from the back, embedded in the ground before him. The Matoran was dead.

Before Burnmad could even react, a door to his left burst open, revealing the Turaga and what appeared to be the rest of the group; while several of them sported obvious wounds, none of them appeared to be dead. A look of relief briefly crossed the Turaga’s face before they took in the circle of chairs and the deceased Jag. Crossing the room and standing before the only other door, the Turaga glared at them all.

“Nobody leaves,” the Turaga said hoarsely, “until justice is served for this death.”

Jag18, Matoran (Assigned #5) - Killed by Dark Hunters.

Suspects:

#2 - Found attempting to retrieve the drill from Jag’s corpse.

#9 - Found rambling about a voice inside their head.

#12 - Found with many bloodstains upon their armor.

#23 - Found out of breath, complaining about aching arms.

You have 24 hours to vote.

Edited by Voltex Oblige
  • Upvote 10

Hm.

I'd say...hrm...

Drills obviously require a lot of armstrength to use, especially to drill through a person. However, if I learned ANYTHING from watching gurren Lagann, it's...

i lost my train of thought but "drill" was mentioned so i had to mention Gurren Lagann.

Anyways, vote goes to #12. Using slightly vague logic last time resulted in the loss of an innocent - and while #23 fits that same logic, I am hesitant to follow it.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

Wait hold on

wouldn't everyone have blood on their armor

since

you know

They were, essentially, in a lake of blood?

Hm...

Switching to #9 from #12. I have a distinct feeling that Burn WOULDN'T be on the list, and he wasn't complaining about voices in his head. He pushed them away.

Edited by Ehksidian
  • Upvote 4

1Ydp0mg.jpg

E: Burn's vote added

psst i swapped from #12 to #9

If you change your vote by editing your original post I shall not count it, because I'm not working that hard

I didn't.

I edited the second post I made, which I had to do a bit of thinking before determining "should i switch ok yes i am switching"

So

2x confirmation that I am swapping my vote from #12 to #9.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

#2 - Found attempting to retrieve the drill from Jag’s corpse (???)

#9 - Found rambling about a voice inside their head   (so what) wait... all the hosts?!!

#12 - Found with many bloodstains upon their armor (blood from the pool)

#23 - Found out of breath,(from the journey) complaining about aching arms (???)

I'll wait a bit

~Just call me Shadow_Ignited~

I'm quite curious as to what's going on with Burnmad, the Staff, and Crystal. Mere flavoring? A twist? Perhaps a lead-in to XIX?

As for JAG18's untimely demise:

The poor fellow was drilled through. Surely that would produce a preponderance of blood? This seems to indicate #12. I'm not certain as to why else someone would be covered in the stuff. It seems terribly, blindingly obvious, but then, perhaps that's the point. The simplest logical explanation is not necessarily correct, but it makes the most sense to follow it, usually. I'll take some sort of certainty over shooting in the dark any day.

Voting #12.

EDIT: Ah, Lake of Blood. Didn't notice that. :P
Still, who would swim in a lake of blood? Its presence almost seems designed to throw us off the scent. So it might well be evidence for #12's guilt.

I'm not entirely sure. I'll keep my vote for now, though I'm contemplating switching it to #23.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

You know, with the majority having to go through a lake of blood, I'm not going to fall for number 12, however I will cast my vote for #23. Of all them they seem the most suspicious to me.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Suspects:

#2 - 1

#9 - 3

#12 - 1

#23 - 3

Vote Changes Used: Ehks, Quisoves, Luroka

About two-three more hours of voting left so that we can get back to the scenes being written at times that allow me to actually go to sleep.

E: Luroka change added

Edited by Voltex Oblige