Why is There So Much Hate Towards BZPower?

Toa Green Ninja

Not trying to troll, this is a legitimate question here.

I mean, just look at BIONICLE's own Facebook page

It feels really bad to be called names by some random people from elsewhere. What did the site do to receive this? And furthermore, can we do to prevent it in the future?

Edit: The image had some language; I've turned it into a link so that people can open at their own risk.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

Some people just hold an immature grudge against us because they felt they were banned for an unfair reason. Of course, whether or not that was the case I can't judge (but I do know the current administration is very fair and professional and I trust their good judgement) but I've seen the staff facing the craziest accusations that I'm not going to talk about here. It is true that BZPower and its staff has had a bad fame of being overly strict and tyrannical in the past and fact is, the relation between staff and general membership hasn't always been as good as it is now but with time, people here have matured and so have the staff. Just ignore those people and don't let them ruin your fun on our great site. ;) And of course, if you have the chance, spread the word about how our site truly is. ^_^ We don't mind criticism of course, so if you feel it's not all roses and flowers on our site, then by all means don't hesitate to address them, even outside the site - I just ask you to be fair when you do

Yes, I copied most of this straight from another topic. I just thought it fit here well.

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui
  • Upvote 12

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

What hostile environment is he talking about? The forum might be more regulated than other forums but that's a good thing. There's no idea in trying to prevent any hate for BZPower in the future. Don't try to please the haters. There will always be haters and to change things simply to make them happy is not something you want to do.

• Upvote 4

You know, when you've been around as long as this site has, you're inevitably going to get your fair share of critics and haters. Stuff gets misconstrued, rumors get run around, and simple mistakes turn into controversies. The rumor mill has always churned out stuff about this site that people have run away with, and I'd be remiss to mention that I was definitely a part of that problem. It's only pretty recently that I've thought of this differently. Of course, no site/project/group/etc. is ever blameless or without fault, but circumstances have a way of escalating events and history only looks kindly on the victors. I can't imagine what the TTV channel's comments would look like if we had been doing this for over a decade.

• Upvote 13

It feels really bad to be called names by some random people from elsewhere.

Welcome to the internet, buddy. Hope you like it.

I can imagine a pretty good number of reasons why people would be bitter towards this site (and frankly, I don't blame them). Just about every website gets its fair share of animosity; you can either get all upset about it or keep moving forward.

• Upvote 7

It feels really bad to be called names by some random people from elsewhere.

Welcome to the internet, buddy. Hope you like it.

Oh, I've been on the internet in years, but I've never been in the middle of something like this (well, maybe once).

ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Actually, there isn't a lot. Our being the most popular by definition means the opposite. :P

But anytime you have one thing that has a lot of success, if there's competition for what they're successful at, you're going to be able to find somebody who will handle it poorly. And they will probably be a vocal minority. (So while they might seem numerous, it's probably just a handful of people -- relatively -- who are very loud about it.)

That's just how life works, yeah?

Basically, don't worry about what people say offsite. Not that there can't be legitimate criticisms, but we do a great job of listening to those, and so they're better brought right to us. Also a lot of it is banned members who won't be telling you the whole story as to why they were banned (and they know our policy of not embarassing them by telling others what they did means we can't counter their distortions -- so basically we just ask that you keep that in mind).

It's also somewhat a symptom of a good thing -- when Bionicle ended, I noticed that this sort of thing seemed to largely disappear, but now that Bionicle's coming back, that "competitive pressure" is back, and so this kind of issue is back too. It's basically predictable. It itself is not good, and shouldn't happen (but things that shouldn't happen... do happen in life), but it's a side effect of something good -- new Bionicle stuff coming out!

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 5

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

When someone's argument includes talking about what they experienced "many years ago", it's a safe bet that things may have changed a lot since then.

I've been on BZPower for over seven years and I really don't remember anything that supports such outrageous claims as those I read on the facebook comments. The worst is usually just a curfuffle between a few select members and the Staff, and it's usually about them being upset that they can't post content that breaks the rules, basically. I ain't saying the staff is or was always right, but I'm just saying that nothing has ever been enough to justify condemning the entire forum. This is honestly the nicest, most organized, most polite and welcoming online community I've ever been a part of, which is why I'm still here.

Like I said in the other topic: take what they say with a grain of salt, and then some. If Bionicle really was in any way close to being that bad, a lot of us wouldn't still be here and Lego probably wouldn't support us as much as they do. Don't pay the critics much attention, but if you see something you don't like remember that you're not under any pressure to ignore it or conform to it. Nothing is perfect  -_-

I can understand why others would make the criticisms they do, but, I don't think they're very reasonable. In the end, everyone needs to make their own judgement.

Edited by Pomegranate
  • Upvote 1

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Considering the past issues, I understand where people can come from when they hate BZPower, but ultimately its nothing to write home about because bashing happens a LOT on the internet and its just the norm. 

"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become,"-C.S. Lewis

four things that i can think of.

1. BZPower is the most popular Bionicle fan site, and always has been. popularity always yields hate.
  2. BZP used to have really, really strict rules. they've really been loosened up over the last year or two, and that's fantastic, but of course some people are only going by their memory of old BZP, or possibly of getting banned on old BZP for something that may or may not have been petty.
  3. a great many of the more well-known BZP staffers (in recent years) hold left-wing sociopolitical views. people perceive this as a staff-wide or even site-wide bias, even though it really isn't anything of the sort.
  4. all of the above reasons for disliking BZPower are very commonly over-exaggerated by people who do.
  • Upvote 10

I've also seen some hate towards the other projects in the BIONICLE community, such as The Three Virtues. Not sure if you guys know anything about that... I saw a big discussion about it on both here and Eurobricks yesterday.

Again, I want to just have a civilized discussion about this, without flaming. I am just very curious about the negative side of the community.

Edited by Toa Green Ninja

ninjago-green-ninja.jpg

People are nasty and nobody's perfect, not even on here. So people on here make mistakes and since this place has anti-flaming rules, other people take the flames against the people who made the mistakes to other sites. 

Then they start to hate on this place for the few people who make mistakes, and because they can't yell at them for making said mistakes without violating the anti-flame rules, they hate on us even more. 

That, and what everyone else said. Also the popularity and banning resentment may also come into play - if you're already ticked for those reasons, you will find other reasons (like people's mistakes) to get ticked about. And so on, in a vicious cycle. 

Not trying to be rude or anything, but stuff like this happens all the time on the internet and people need to somewhat deal with it. No, I'm not saying they should like it, or feel comfortable about it, but there's nothing you can do about what people hate about something on the internet. For example, on tumblr I see so many anon hate getting sent to other people but no matter what the receiver does or says, the anons aren't going to stop until they get tired of it. I mean you could report it or something but I don't think Facebook admins or whatever will do much about someone hating a website.

It seems like the problematic posts on the Facebook page were removed? Not like that's a bad thing, but I imagine it might confuse newcomers to this topic.

Shame. I had made a decent rebuttal to one of the people brandishing the old "BZPower killed Bionicle" conspiracy theory.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

It seems like the problematic posts on the Facebook page were removed? Not like that's a bad thing, but I imagine it might confuse newcomers to this topic.

Shame. I had made a decent rebuttal to one of the people brandishing the old "BZPower killed Bionicle" conspiracy theory.

Which is completely ridiculous! There's no way a fan site like us could possibly leave a huge impact on the sales of an entire toy line.  

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

I'm still seeing the negative BZP posts on the Facebook page that I saw before. Perhaps there were other negative posts that were removed before I saw them.  :shrugs:

Anyways, I agree with what a lot of people have said before. BZP, or any internet site for that matter, is going to have people who will make negative claims about it. Whether those claims are true or not depends in the individual situations, but regardless people are going to post bad things. Look at posts on the majority of Youtube videos. Normally there is at least one or two people posting about how much they don't like the content in the video.

Haters are everywhere on the internet. We just got to deal with them as they come.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Eh, a couple of comments on Facebook aren't that big a deal and won't persuade people into thinking BZP is a bad place. This is a rare occasion where I actually have heard of someone calling BZPower "hostile". Interestingly enough, I see it as kind of a good sign. It means we are a big enough community that some people have to be vocal about disliking us. There is no success without making some enemies, so I see this as a sign of BZPower reaching success and being recognized as a major Bionicle community site. If there was a really large hate group targeted at us, then I would be worried. 

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

There are other sites that have positioned themselves as anti-BZP because of various reasons, as mentioned above—banned members, disgruntled members, etc. That's just what happens; when you're around for a decade, people can get mad at you.

I think a lot of this was exacerbated by the fact that, for an extraordinarily long time, we kept and enforced rules that had no basis in the modern Internet, rules that made sense when instated but had long outlived their original function.

I'm really proud of how far BZPower has come over the past few years in the elimination of old rules and a more relaxed and personal role of the moderating team. There's still things to do and progress to be made, but I'm proud of what we've been able to accomplish.

Most people see various aspects of what is done and take it in entirely the wrong way. Portions of the community who foster this anti-BZP bias essentially do so in an echo chamber, preaching to the proverbial choir of those who have become disgruntled. An unsettling number of people are convinced that the BZPower staff conspired to end BIONICLE, which is the outcome of what can only be described as the most laughable thing I've ever read.

• Upvote 12

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I think much of the problem is that some members were a little forceful and for some reason, most of the kids here had right wing evangelical religious views. I was surprised and disappointed by how many there were. Who knew that a Lego line based partly in a polynesian tribal flavor of mythos could draw so many evangelical Christians? What's worse is I was here during the heyday, and there were big culture wars going on here about "I still say Merry Christmas" to which the mods had the correct reaction to which they halted that so as to keep conflict to a minimum. Same thing with a few posts, for example "Jesus said its rong [sic] to be gay!!" basically attacking a member or two who were admitted LGBT and who were more or less generally popular. It staggered me as to how many children between the ages of 10 and 18 could be filled with such vitriol.

Luckily the staff had the right idea and shut this foolishness down. This is supposed to be a site where we focus on one thing: our mutual love of Bionicle. The only controversy that should be able to even squeeze in here is "ZOMG BINOCLE 2015 CONFRIM", which to all our joy it did. 

That said, this place is said to have a monopoly on the fandom visibility. The site has a visible relationship with TLG. Some people resent that. Not saying they're right, but it's there.

• Upvote 1

Time is my frenemy. So is money.
May the classics never die and may the future find a new set of Toa.

BZPRPG Character

I think much of the problem is that some members were a little forceful and for some reason, most of the kids here had right wing evangelical religious views. I was surprised and disappointed by how many there were. Who knew that a Lego line based partly in a polynesian tribal flavor of mythos could draw so many evangelical Christians? What's worse is I was here during the heyday, and there were big culture wars going on here about "I still say Merry Christmas" to which the mods had the correct reaction to which they halted that so as to keep conflict to a minimum. Same thing with a few posts, for example "Jesus said its rong [sic] to be gay!!" basically attacking a member or two who were admitted LGBT and who were more or less generally popular. It staggered me as to how many children between the ages of 10 and 18 could be filled with such vitriol.

Luckily the staff had the right idea and shut this foolishness down. This is supposed to be a site where we focus on one thing: our mutual love of Bionicle. The only controversy that should be able to even squeeze in here is "ZOMG BINOCLE 2015 CONFRIM", which to all our joy it did. 

That said, this place is said to have a monopoly on the fandom visibility. The site has a visible relationship with TLG. Some people resent that. Not saying they're right, but it's there.

*sigh* I'm a conservative & a Christian, but a forum about Legos is no place for discussing your personal beliefs or religion. (And especially attacking users. That's not being a very good Christian... <_<) Folks who argue about that stuff need to learn that there is a time and place for everything, and an appropriate & inappropriate way to do everything. We're here to talk about Legos (and more specifically Bionicle), not argue about religious beliefs. Regardless of what you believe, you shouldn't be talking about anything but Legos & Bionicle here. (Which makes me wonder... why is there a completely off-topic forum??? :P)

• Upvote 11

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Most people see various aspects of what is done and take it in entirely the wrong way. Portions of the community who foster this anti-BZP bias essentially do so in an echo chamber, preaching to the proverbial choir of those who have become disgruntled. An unsettling number of people are convinced that the BZPower staff conspired to end BIONICLE, which is the outcome of what can only be described as the most laughable thing I've ever read.

Wow... some people... uhhh   :closedeyes:

Hopefully with the updated rules on this forum, we can make less enemies this time around when Bionicle returns.

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

*sigh* I'm a conservative & a Christian, but a forum about Legos is no place for discussing your personal beliefs or religion. (And especially attacking users. That's not being a very good Christian... <_<) Folks who argue about that stuff need to learn that there is a time and place for everything, and an appropriate & inappropriate way to do everything. We're here to talk about Legos (and more specifically Bionicle), not argue about religious beliefs. Regardless of what you believe, you shouldn't be talking about anything but Legos & Bionicle here. (Which makes me wonder... why is there a completely off-topic forum??? :P)

Precisely, you know the difference. I'm curious as to why you are but that's a discussion not for here. 

My observation was purely that it was that particular group most visible. 

Time is my frenemy. So is money.
May the classics never die and may the future find a new set of Toa.

BZPRPG Character

It's less about that topic being irrelevant to Lego and more, I believe, about that being the most controversial topic there is; it will inevitably lead to some very heated, unpleasant exchanges once it's brought up, for a multitude of reasons in limitless situations. The best way to ensure a nice, open, accepting environment is to prevent it from being discussed. No matter what other rules you have, unless you outright ban it, even the most innocent conversation about it will inevitably lead to someone popping in to remind everyone how vile some people's opinions are and it just ends in everyone feeling awful. Even with other controversial topics, religion is usually one of the elements that makes the topic controversial, so keeping the root of the problem off limits solves a lot of other problems. The rules aren't forbidding freedom of expression, just any in-depth discussion which has potential for disaster. Nobody got banned for wishing everyone a Happy Hannukah, I don't think :P

Edited by Pomegranate
  • Upvote 1

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Let's make sure we stay away from religious discussion here, shall we?

I don't stress out too much about the people hating on BZPower. I did at one point, but the more I interact with the entire LEGO fan community and LEGO itself I've realized that it is a very small minority and in general we're a pretty well-respected community.

• Upvote 4

BIONICLE is so tied in with BZPower that if someone hates on another LEGO site, the hate leads here. BZPower is a hotline for every bit of it.

And that also means BZPower was not the reason BIONICLE died off, but one of the key points of why it returned.

Hundreds of people everywhere tried hard to get BIONICLE to come back, and BZPower's relationship with TLG was the strongest standing point, meaning thanks to BZPower's connections, hate or not, brought back BIONICLE.

• Upvote 3

Unfortunately trolling and hateful posting is like a guy yelling when everyone else is being quiet. It's not that there is "so much" hate towards BZpowers, it just that the few that do hate it make their opinion known far more than those who don't. No-one who likes BZpowers sees the need to yell "OH MAH GOSH I LOVEZ DAT PLACE" whenever BZpowers, is mentioned, but the haters seem to take every opportunity to express their hate, so the average hater of BZpower gets way more noticed than the average BZpower member.

This is pretty much true of all human beings. Despite what sensationalist news would have you believe, humanity isn't essentially evil, it's just that someone who does damage or more noticed than someone who just minds his own business. We take what's good for granted and forget that rotten people tend are the exception, not the rule.

MnRA5kV.png

I dont understand why people would hate this site, i dont see any hostility at all, people seem to get along with each other, and we dont feel like we are going to be hated about expressing our opinions on topic questions, this is my favorite forum website by far, i dont see anything wrong with it at all. I dont think its really anything to worry about, because as Black Six said Its just a small minority,

I don't stress out too much about the people hating on BZPower. I did at one point, but the more I interact with the entire LEGO fan community and LEGO itself I've realized that it is a very small minority and in general we're a pretty well-respected community.

• Upvote 1

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

I haven't been a member here very long, but I don't have to have been in order for me to know that this is one of the friendliest, warmest, and most welcoming sites on the Internet. Some people look for reasons to hate things, whether it's differing opinions, religions, social class, or even race. (as sad as it is, the last thing does still happen. :( ) These people will always live their lives in hate because, as far as they are concerned, it's what they live for. That is beyond doubt the worst way to live life. The best way to live is to love, and to acknowledge differences and look past them. Even if you think you have nothing in common with somebody, there is still reason to love them, even if you can't see it. Take the advice of a Star Warrior: A wise warrior seeks not to make war, but to make peace. That should always be our continual goal. It shall always be mine.

And I forgot to mention there aren't really that many people (comparatively speaking) who actually hate BZP. Those people, as with all haters, are far more outspoken than the average person. That is something to always bare in mind. I'm not saying haters don't exist. All I'm trying to say is that you should never engage in or pay mind to hate. Hate will lead you nowhere but to more hate. Love, on the other hand, will lead to more love, even if it takes a thousand years.

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 1

MetaKnight.gif  Stay vigilant, my friends. MetaKnight.gif

So some random 10-year-old comes on BZP back when the rules were a lot stricter, acts up, gets banned, grows up with a lifelong hatred for BZP. That's my guess anyways. But now, years later, the members are a lot more mature, the community has improved a lot, and things like the linking policy got considerably relaxed.

• Upvote 6

aouROFb.png

Well, apparently mentioning someone that was banned forever gets you permabanned too.

This is only from what I've heard. A lot of hate to the mod's so-called tyranny outside the net.

No idea if this is true or not. This post getting me banned will probably be the answer.

Edit: Inappropriate analogy removed.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 2

Nobody ever got banned (as far as I know :P) for mentioning a banned member. You could get a message telling you to avoid doing it in the future, though. That is part of our policy of not giving persistent troublemakers undue attention, since probably the reason they act out in the first place is to get attention. We also don't want to encourage discussing what specific banned members did wrong so that the banned member themselves is not embarrassed necessarily.

I suppose if somebody went around breaking that rule and only that rule repeatedly despite warnings (and despite their agreeing to follow the rules upon joining), obviously just to cause trouble, that might lead to a suspension or banning, but I'm not personally aware of any examples. As far as I know anybody who got banned while that was one of their actions would be banned for other things they also did.

Edit: Also, a ban is just what the word means -- a ban, not an "execution", unless you know of somebody who has surgically tied in their life support functions to access to a website. :P It would be more comparable to exile.

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 7

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Nobody ever got banned (as far as I know :P) for mentioning a banned member. You could get a message telling you to avoid doing it in the future, though. That is part of our policy of not giving persistent troublemakers undue attention, since probably the reason they act out in the first place is to get attention. We also don't want to encourage discussing what specific banned members did wrong so that the banned member themselves is not embarrassed necessarily.

I suppose if somebody went around breaking that rule and only that rule repeatedly despite warnings (and despite their agreeing to follow the rules upon joining), obviously just to cause trouble, that might lead to a suspension or banning, but I'm not personally aware of any examples. As far as I know anybody who got banned while that was one of their actions would be banned for other things they also did.

Edit: Also, a ban is just what the word means -- a ban, not an "execution", unless you know of somebody who has surgically tied in their life support functions to access to a website. :P It would be more comparable to exile.

I'm talking about a perma-ban being the closest thing to an execution on a forum.

Still, this is very good to know.

Bans are not necessarily permanent; there have been a few cases of people improving demonstrably elsewhere and making a case via other communication methods where they have been allowed back in. But in the majority of cases where it doesn't happen, it's really not a fault of ours, that's just how bans on any website work because now they aren't being active anymore where we are primarily watching, so how can we see if they have improved significantly? It's unfortunate, but the fault remains with the member who got themselves banned.

If a ban is the closest thing to an execution, then that isn't really a good argument against doing it, since it just means whatever is the most severe punishment is the "closest", so if we didn't ban and only used temporary suspensions, then that would become the closest thing. :P (And so forth on down the line.) And since exile is just as close (far), the fact remains that exile is a far better comparison.

In any event, glad to help. ^_^

• Upvote 2

1. a great many of the more well-known BZP staffers (in recent years) hold left-wing sociopolitical views. people perceive this as a staff-wide or even site-wide bias, even though it really isn't anything of the sort.

This particular statement would vary wildly on your on cultural background though. What is considered left wing in the US would be considered right wing in the Netherlands, whilst in the past some BZP policies would be off the political scale here. It's invariably the result of the internet being a global community and as such offering a very wide variety of cultural views. If you combine quite a few of them in one policy you end up with something that will be rated "left wing" or "right wing" based entirely on the commentator's cultural background.

Edited by -Joshua-
  • Upvote 1

1. a great many of the more well-known BZP staffers (in recent years) hold left-wing sociopolitical views. people perceive this as a staff-wide or even site-wide bias, even though it really isn't anything of the sort.

This particular statement would vary wildly on your on cultural background though. What is considered left wing in the US would be considered right wing in the Netherlands, whilst in the past some BZP policies would be off the political scale here. It's invariably the result of the internet being a global community and as such offering a very wide variety of cultural views. If you combine quite a few of them in one policy you end up with something that will be rated "left wing" or "right wing" based entirely on the commentator's cultural background.

oh yeah, that's very true. i just wasn't sure how else to word that statement. 'left-wing' doesn't really fit, but 'liberal' wouldn't really be accurate either, and with my limited American worldview (i'm working on it, i promise) i can't think of more terms.

all this stuff is honestly really subjective, although i guess you could suffice it to say that "BZPower's perceived staff bias always seems to differ from the opinions of the people who hate it" (which is essentially what you said. oops). to be honest though, that seems like something of a given.

Edited by Arc