Why is There So Much Hate Towards BZPower?

Toa Green Ninja

The place here is a little strict, language and inappropriate content banning being okay, but as politics and religions shape a persons mind, reasoning and beliefs, the strict banning of this can prevent a real understanding of another person and forever keep people lost from one another (unless said matters are secular), but it's for keeping peace and preventing flame-wars (even though those that are mature can still talk about aforementioned things without turning a debate into an argumentative debate). :P  Mature ones should try their best to avoid such talking, though, as a website for BIONICLE figures and sagas has no need for such talk unless it is a way to get to know another person and seeks understanding (hopefully via PMs).

Benjamin Franklin — 'Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.'             Kind of makes one think about all of those hackings from years earlier ;)

Been talking to the big man earlier, and he is set in his ways, no way you can change any rules here (unless events in the news are parading about ;) ). I love this place and have been here for years, but I can see why I see people make fun of it.  :)

Edited by Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Benjamin Franklin never said that.

But yeah I guess you could account for some of the "hate" against BZP as coming from the fact that discussions can get limited.  But that honestly is a testament to a problem with the members as well as to one with the staff.  Wasn't there a topic about dinosaurs or evolution that got closed because people starting discussing supposed controversies?

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

But yeah I guess you could account for some of the "hate" against BZP as coming from the fact that discussions can get limited.  But that honestly is a testament to a problem with the members as well as to one with the staff.  Wasn't there a topic about dinosaurs or evolution that got closed because people starting discussing supposed controversies?

Not that I remember. That's the one topic we actually haven't fringed on too much here, thank goodness. Such debates never end well. Ever.

We've had a few dinosaur topics around, but none have got into that area. Most have centered on inaccuracies in dinosaur portrayals in movies as compared to paleontology, not topics that aren't allowed.  

Edited by fishers64

Been talking to the big man earlier, and he is set in his ways, no way you can change any rules here (unless events in the news are parading about ;) ).

I'm not sure how anyone can say this is true. We have changed a lot of the rules over the years. Yes we are still very strict in some areas, but we have relaxed a lot in others.
  • Upvote 9

Benjamin Franklin never said that.

Well, he kinda did. The actual quote is apparently "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Kind of ridiculous when applied to a forum about children's construction toys, though.

You are one step closer to understanding the method to my madness! :evilbiggrin:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link to images over 500 kB. -B6

Edited by Black Six

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Well, for one thing, this place has a pretty strict word filter. Although in real life, I'd say I have quite a colorful vocabulary, I really don't mind toning it down when I'm here. Even if I say dirty words on other sites or in real life, I'm able to realize that a Bionicle site is not that place for that kind of talk. I'm usually against censorship, but I don't mind it at all here. It's refreshing that I can go on at least one site and not be called horrible things. 

• Upvote 2

-BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER-

• 2 weeks later...

Been talking to the big man earlier, and he is set in his ways, no way you can change any rules here (unless events in the news are parading about ;) ).

I'm not sure how anyone can say this is true. We have changed a lot of the rules over the years. Yes we are still very strict in some areas, but we have relaxed a lot in others.

Definitely. I remember the days where YouTube wasn't allowed, any site with a comment system was banned, and nearly every word even remotely negative in the vocabulary was unable to be written. To be honest, I think the rules have improved alot since I left; I just wish all my old friends were still here :P
  • Upvote 1

"I've brushed with death so often I should start giving him high-fives while I pass."

Recent Work: Return to Forum (2024)
Friend's works: Terrible Comics (2016) | The Guardians of Gevra Nui (2017) | Reborn (2016)
Older Work: The Legends of Taladi Nui (2017)

[...] this place has a pretty strict word filter.

Not an attack on you or anyone but I've seen this said quite a bit in recent times, & well I don't think I've ever run into the filter, I've been told off for my attitude but not because of anything 'explicit'...

Then again despite my countries advertising "bloody" & "" generally don't receive much use from me except with certain friends... but with other friends I use the worst; time & place, & well I don't see why it's that hard to self-filter words :?

(& bonesiii was very accommodating of  patient with me, & the warning was deserved; & I don't believe I've lost proto: generally I feel like this place has a pretty good balance? Without mentioning names or specific actions I've "seen" a member been banned & well they were given plenty of warnings, & when they used them up they were gone: fair warning & the consequences where clear, * I didn't see much room for misinterpretation of the warnings etc. *shrugs*)

• Upvote 2

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.