Can someone "copyright" a certain aspect of their MOC?

Klack

I'm sure most of us have gotten that 'uh-oh' feeling when you just completed a random MOC, later finding out that someone has almost the exact same method of building custom arms, legs, etc. as you did but earlier.

Could there be repercussions if you posted said MOC on sites like YouTube, DeviantArt, or even BZP?

Edited by Toaborox18

Nightmare+fuel+dwight+so+i+found+this+gi

I wouldn't think so, nor do I see any reason to. I once developed a unique torso construction (I'm assuming it was unique, because I'd been hanging out on this site long before I joined, looked through many folders on brickshelf, and I'd never seen anything quite like it.)

So, one day, a few months after posting 2 MOCs using said construction, I came across a creation by Mohammad Marei that used the same construct, only slightly modified to make it more stable (my earlier attempts were a bit wobbly). So, no. I don't think there's a need to copyright certain designs or techniques. I built something, and someone else improved it, which I can then learn from.

To quote Clutch Powers, "We build on each other." That's the point of LEGO, that's the point of this site. Why take that away? :)

Edited by ~The 1st Shadow~
  • Upvote 2

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I'm a bit surprised that Youtube and Deviantart were the first two places to post MOCs that you thought of. But regardless, no, there aren't really any repercussions. It's fairly common for people to independently arrive at similar things.

Also, if there were repercussions of any kind, DeeVee would own everyone (even TLG) because of the Exo-Force arm + pneumatic T hand. :P

~B~

• Upvote 1

Of course not! That would be silly, and like copyrighting a certain method of painting. You can't go and copyright watercolor painting, right?

That's true. I guess it doesn't quite make sense when people rage about others thieving their designs. Though I can understand the frustration.

I'm a bit surprised that Youtube and Deviantart were the first two places to post MOCs that you thought of. But regardless, no, there aren't really any repercussions. It's fairly common for people to independently arrive at similar things.

Also, if there were repercussions of any kind, DeeVee would own everyone (even TLG) because of the Exo-Force arm + pneumatic T hand. :P

~B~

(Hydraxon looks at his hands and wails in anguish)

• Upvote 2

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

Thanks for all the answers, guys! I just wanted to get a few answers, 'cause I really like how this persons custom body I saw a while back and I want to implement it into my new MOC, for the contest.

Edited by Toaborox18

Thanks for all the answers, guys! I just wanted to get a few answers, 'cause I really like how this persons custom body I saw a while back and I want to implement it into my new MOC, for the contest.

just remember though, if it's been used before, you might want to look into ways (even minor ways) of altering it, especially for a contest entry.

you want it to look interesting and unique after all. :u

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Of course, independently arriving at something similar and directly emulating something you've seen are different, and if you're trying to implement something from/inspired by another MOC it might be advisable to mention where you got your inspiration as a courtesy to the creator (this applies more the larger a section of the MOC in question).

~B~

Edited by Ballom

Absolutely not.

I can base my MoC off a Lego set, correct?

Then I should have every right to "rip-off" another MoCer's design. If they expect credit, and you did base it directly off of their design, you should give it. If it coincidentally ended up being a similar build, there is no reason too.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg