Combat Staffs Question

ALVIS

BS01 has been wondering about a minor bit of trivia. After the 2005 playsets depicted the Toa Hordika using some sort of staff weapon, it was canonized that they found and used those weapons during the Great Rescue. However, the 2006 playsets also depict the Toa Inika wielding similar weapons. Simply put, the question is: are those weapons meant to represent their normal weapons, or are they other weapons (and if so, were they ever canonized)?

I'm asking BZP S&T first instead of Greg, in compliance with BS01's new "slow-go" policy on canonization. :P This question has probably been asked before, so all it should take is fishers64 to settle this.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

There's no real policy in place, I just figured asking around or actually doing research was a lot smarter than asking Greg about something which he likely will have no knowledge of. Saves everybody a bit of time, neh?

I'm sure the question has been asked before, but I can't remember what the answer was. Frankly, I can't actually remember how the 2005 staves actually made it into the canon either, but that was very possibly before my time on BZP.

It's not a big deal either way (I always liked that the 2005 weapons were legit, personally, since I continually mean to MoC them) but it has to have come up at some point, and if there is a record of that, fantabulous.

• Upvote 1

I think more Toa needed to have staff weapons. We got enough swords, shields and claw-variants. All the staff fan really got were the Hagah, and that was only two.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I asked Greg about the combat staffs many years ago, largely on account of the fact that you can see animated, full-size Toa Hordika carrying them in one of the 2005 playset commercials, which suggested that they weren't just meant as placeholders for their usual weapons. So if anybody doesn't like that tidbit being canon... well, I guess you know who to blame. :P

I don't know about the Toa Inika weapons from the 2006 playsets. They're slightly more problematic because there wasn't strictly "one weapon per character" — the Toa Inika and Piraka figures would carry different weapons depending on the set. Also, in the animated portion of the Piraka Stronghold commercial the Toa carry their usual weapons from the canister sets instead, and besides that, the animated portion of the Piraka Stronghold commercial is plainly non-canon (at least, that's my take on it, because it appears to depict the stronghold as a living thing). I would assume that they're non-canon, same as the contradictory masks in some of the 2007 playsets.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

Since the 2006 playsets were non-canon, I'd go out on a limb and say their weapons are non-canon too.

Most of them were actually canon; only one was not, much like the 2005 playsets. In 05 it was Visorak's Gate, in 06 it was Race for the Mask of Life.

That said, since 2006 had less spots open for secret adventures (the tighter storyline structure, which was continued on for the years after) it's less likely that these staffs were anything besides set pieces.

I'd still be curious to see if there was a previous answer, though. I'm convinced there was. Don't prove me crazy :<

I asked Greg about the combat staffs many years ago, largely on account of the fact that you can see animated, full-size Toa Hordika carrying them in one of the 2005 playset commercials, which suggested that they weren't just meant as placeholders for their usual weapons. So if anybody doesn't like that tidbit being canon... well, I guess you know who to blame. :P

I don't know about the Toa Inika weapons from the 2006 playsets. They're slightly more problematic because there wasn't strictly "one weapon per character" — the Toa Inika and Piraka figures would carry different weapons depending on the set. Also, in the animated portion of the Piraka Stronghold commercial the Toa carry their usual weapons from the canister sets instead, and besides that, the animated portion of the Piraka Stronghold commercial is plainly non-canon (at least, that's my take on it, because it appears to depict the stronghold as a living thing). I would assume that they're non-canon, same as the contradictory masks in some of the 2007 playsets.

YOU

jk that was why I figured somebody asked about them. And certainly, that's part of the appeal.

Did the 2005 minifigs not switch weapons at all? I mixed them up based on whatever I felt like, but I thought that different sets had different configurations too.

And the Piraka Fortress had some crazy inner workings in the story, so the crazy outer workings wouldn't surprise me as much.

Edited by Dorek
  • Upvote 1

Oh, I see. I thought all 06 playsets were non-canon. Slightly OT, but do you know if any of the 07 playsets are canon?

Toa Terrain Crawler

Stinger Whale

Spider Crab

Takea/Underwater Ray Mutation

Yeah. They're canon. :P

Edited by Yaldabaoth
  • Upvote 2
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

My guess is that the weapons the 06 playset figures had were placeholders for their actual weapons. It was probably easier to make the staffs for them than making each figure their respective weapon from their sets. 

Then again, I used to think the same thing about the 05 playset figures, but I didn't know that their staffs were approved to be canon weapons for them. I just don't think that it should be same for the 06 figures, but if someone finds something that shows that they are, then I guess they are. :P 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I was going to skip this one, until I read "This question has probably been asked before, so all it should take is fishers64 to settle this." :lol: Next time, if you just have need of my skills, PM me. :P

10. What are the staffs that the mini Toa from the playsets are holding?
Staffs were originally designed for a training arena playset that we later dropped. Set was tossed, staffs remain.

Okay, so that's where we start.

1)Are the tools of the minifig Toa Hordika in the playsets canon? I ask because it's conceiveable that such mundane weapons as a clubbed staff or a clawed staff might have been found during the Toa Hordika's journeys, Metru Nui being the important production and transportation hub that it is.

1) Far as I know, yes

And that's Aanchir.

But you weren't asking about that, you were asking about 2006 playset weapons.

6) Do all the playsets of 2006 have a storyline reason?

6) No, not all of them
What are Fenrakk Spawn Spiders, as seen in the Piraka Outpost and Piraka Stronghold playsets? And is there a reason the Inika are riding them?

They are smaller versions of Fenrakk, and in the playset, the Toa have tamed them to use as mounts. I wasn't able to work that into the comics/books, because I simply did not have room.

1. The playsets have zamor launchers. Are they meant to the represent the Piraka and Inika's zamors of Antidermis and EP, or are they something else, like bullets.

1) The former. We don't have bullets in BIONICLE.

4) In th playsets, the Zamors are larger scale. Is this just so the sets look better, or is there any storyline info on this?

4) The former

No references to the hand weapons are found. Go for it. :)

I think more Toa needed to have staff weapons. We got enough swords, shields and claw-variants. All the staff fan really got were the Hagah, and that was only two.

Really? We have Turaga staffs, Rahkshi staffs, Rahaga staffs, Takanuva's staff of light and Twin light staffs, and even Vahki staffs. Bionicle has staff overload. 

• Upvote 2

Really? We have Turaga staffs, Rahkshi staffs, Rahaga staffs, Takanuva's staff of light and Twin light staffs, and even Vahki staffs. Bionicle has staff overload.

Toa that have had staff weapons: Two Toa Hagah (presumably the others too, but we never saw them as sets) and Takanuva. That's 3 (sets). Turaga and rahaga do not count, as they are no longer Toa. Rahkshi and Vahki most certainly aren't Toa, so more Toa wielding staves would be welcome from my perspective.

Staves, it appears, are enemy weapons. Rahkshi and Vahki both played an antagonistic role. The turaga have walking sticks or badges of office, not weapons. Finally, the rahaga's staves may count, but they weren't Toa at that point.

• Upvote 2

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I was going to skip this one, until I read "This question has probably been asked before, so all it should take is fishers64 to settle this." :lol: Next time, if you just have need of my skills, PM me. :P

10. What are the staffs that the mini Toa from the playsets are holding?

Staffs were originally designed for a training arena playset that we later dropped. Set was tossed, staffs remain.

Okay, so that's where we start.

1)Are the tools of the minifig Toa Hordika in the playsets canon? I ask because it's conceiveable that such mundane weapons as a clubbed staff or a clawed staff might have been found during the Toa Hordika's journeys, Metru Nui being the important production and transportation hub that it is.

1) Far as I know, yes

And that's Aanchir.

But you weren't asking about that, you were asking about 2006 playset weapons.

6) Do all the playsets of 2006 have a storyline reason?

6) No, not all of them

What are Fenrakk Spawn Spiders, as seen in the Piraka Outpost and Piraka Stronghold playsets? And is there a reason the Inika are riding them?

They are smaller versions of Fenrakk, and in the playset, the Toa have tamed them to use as mounts. I wasn't able to work that into the comics/books, because I simply did not have room.

1. The playsets have zamor launchers. Are they meant to the represent the Piraka and Inika's zamors of Antidermis and EP, or are they something else, like bullets.

1) The former. We don't have bullets in BIONICLE.

4) In th playsets, the Zamors are larger scale. Is this just so the sets look better, or is there any storyline info on this?

4) The former

No references to the hand weapons are found. Go for it. :)

This guy...

No but seriously that's good to know. Again, whether or not people want to re-ask Greg about it is something that's up to them. I just wanted to make sure we do our best to avoid making Greg contradict something (or not, in sort of this nebulous grey area I'm calling "established non-canon"; if something was deliberately not accepted into canon for whatever reason, if that answer later changes does the earlier one still take precedence?).

Edited by Dorek
  • Upvote 2

Toa that have had staff weapons: Two Toa Hagah (presumably the others too, but we never saw them as sets) and Takanuva. That's 3 (sets). Turaga and rahaga do not count, as they are no longer Toa. Rahkshi and Vahki most certainly aren't Toa, so more Toa wielding staves would be welcome from my perspective.

Staves, it appears, are enemy weapons. Rahkshi and Vahki both played an antagonistic role. The turaga have walking sticks or badges of office, not weapons. Finally, the rahaga's staves may count, but they weren't Toa at that point.

Yes, but if you give staffs to nearly everything that walks that isn't a Toa (ever Matoran have kohlii staffs :P), giving Toa staffs doesn't really make that much sense. To have a greater variety of weaponry, it would make sense for the Toa to have any weapon but staffs. :shrugs:

Greater variety of Toa weapons would be my goal here, though I will admit that the Dev team for Gen1 may have liked staves a little too much for everything else.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, but if you give staffs to nearly everything that walks that isn't a Toa (ever Matoran have kohlii staffs :P), giving Toa staffs doesn't really make that much sense. To have a greater variety of weaponry, it would make sense for the Toa to have any weapon but staffs. :shrugs:

Also for the record The Hagah have spears not staffs

• Upvote 1

All aboard the HypeTrain. We Leave Bionicle Station Jan 1 2015.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to say those weapons were extra tools found on Voya Nui constructed by the Resistance or held in the Piraka stronghold or something. I do think they are closer to representing individual tools than the 05 playsets though. 

BTW that Fenrakk is supposed to be a baby? O_o

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg