What was your favorite set of every year of gen 1?

What was your favorite set (or group of sets) from each of the first 9 years of sets?

My list is:

2001: Muaka and Kane Ra

2002: The Bohrok 

2003: Takanuva and Ussanui

2004: Toa Lhikan and Kikanalo

2005: Sidorak

2006: Umbra

2007: Hydraxon

2008: Axalara T9

2009: Skopio XV1

2010: Takanuva Stars

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

01: Tarakava, mostly because of the colours.

02: Bahrag. the shaping, the gear functions, the recoloured pieces - everything. an all time favourite.

03: Takua + Pewku. just too cute. i'm a sucker for sets with wheels. Umbra excluded, of course.

04: Lhikan + Kikanalo. funny how the Kikanalo had a more interesting build than any of the other 04 titans.

05: Keetongu. good colours and an inspired build.

06: Brutaka, mostly because of sheer size and complexity, honestly.

07: Karzahni, solely because of the green recolours.

08: Takanuva. he was an absolute blast to build, and imo is the most solidly built titan set in the whole line.

09: Thornatus, pretty much just because of the tan pieces. sensing a pattern here?

10: Gresh/Skrall. it came down to a tie between lime armour and black Kopaka sword. neither won.

of course, i'm assuming that combiner sets don't count here....

Edited by Arc

2001: Muaka & Kane-Ra

2002: Nuhvok

2003: Takanuva

2004: Lhikan

2005: Keetongu

2006: Axonn (Maybe Brutaka too though...)

2007: Lesovikk or Hydraxon (Some of the Barraki are pretty high up there too though...)

2008: Bitil or Takanuva

2009: Mata Nui

2010: Takanuva

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

I'll go with sets that I own, rather than just by appearance/assumptions.

2001: Onua (The character that started it all for me  :D )

2002: Exo-Toa (So cool when you added a Golden Masked Toa.)

2003: Takanuva (Takua and Pewku, and Makuta were close too, but I had such high anticipation for the Seventh Toa!)

2004: Toa Lhikan & Kikanalo (My favorite Rahi to date. So well done.)

2005: Toa Iruini (I didn't care much for this year, but Iruini really stood out to me with the green/gold coloring.)

2006: Brutaka (Since the Toa were such cookie-cutter sets, the titans stood out to me; especially Brutaka.)

2007: Toa Mahri Hahli (Those wings!  B-) )

2008: Takanuva (A shining light in a year where the Phantoka/Mistika let me down. )

2009: Mata Nui (After seven years, we finally got him in set form! And although I wished he was gold, he's still cool.)

2010: Rahkshi (*sigh* ... hard to call any of the sets a "favorite".)

:pakari:

Edited by OnuaNut
[ blog ] onuanutbannermnolgstyle.jpg  [ Flickr ]

ooh fun times

2001: Of the sets that I owned that year, probably Gali. The PowerPack would beat her, because Taipu McToran + chrome Hau/Rua, but I didn't actually get it until 2005

2002: Boxor. No competition there. I saved my money for over a month for that ($15 was a lot of money for a 9-year-old) purely because it included the first Matoran to be widely available in any set, and then proceeded to be absolutely blown away by how much fun the entire set was to build and play with. To be honest, I think this might be my favorite set from any year of gen1.

2003: It's a three-way tie between Takanuva & Ussanui (I got ridiculously excited for that, like OnuaNut said), Takua & Pewku (fantastic play functions), and all the individual Matoran (I've always been a huge fan of the small sets)

2004: Toa Lhikan & Kikanalo. I almost burst with anticipation for this one too. Lhikan just looks so freakin' cool, and the hoverboard omg I can't. This might take the title for my second-favorite set of all of gen1.

2005: Of the sets I actually owned, probably the Rahaga. Not much worthwhile stuff from this year. The Hagah are pretty darn cool, wish I could've gotten them

2006: Bit of a weird choice, but I really like Piruk. Brutaka would be in second, but I never got him

2007: Lesovikk. The figure itself was meh and I rebuilt him with a custom torso after 2 days, but once I did he looked wicked spiffy, and the sea sled was actually a really great vehicle

2008: Rockoh T3. By now you're noticing a trend. I like vehicles :P

2009: I think Zesk was the only set I got this year, and that was only for the 4 claws

2010: nope

Edited by Jacks

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

2001: Onua, probably. Or Gali. Heck, I loved all the Toa Mata. They weren't the best in the sense of being the epitome of Bionicle. Bionicle needed to change, but the Toa Mata were the best done given the system at hand.

2002: Gali Nuva

2003: Tahnok. Unoriginal, yes, but wonderful nonetheless. 

2004: Matau.

2005: Toa Iruini or Norik.

2006: Axonn.

2007: Matoro.

2008: Pohatu.

2009: Tarix.

2010: Tahu.

MnRA5kV.png

(On a phone)

01: Muaka & Kane-Ra. They are just very cool sets, the function is great, and thry come with exclusive masks.

02: Bohrok. They are a cool Gillan, very menacing, they gave us more collectables, and they played a vital role in the story.

03: Makuta. Menacing, brooding, tall, large, what else can I say about this set that hasn't already been said?

04: Lhikan and Kikanalo. Lhikan on his own is a great Toa, with very nice weapons (which have now inspired '15 Tahu's board), and the Kikanalo is a very well rounded set, which accurately portrays the Kikanalo from the Movie.

05: Keetongu. See Makuta, but replace all the badness with goodness.

06: Vezon and Karda. For Vezon, see Makuta but replace all the badness and tallness with insaness(?). Kardas is just a giant menacing beast. Plus, you can make three other sets out of him!

07: Nocturn. He's basically a better looking Barraki in my mind.

08: Hmmm... Gotta go with Kopaka or Lewa. They both look cool and serve their function well.

09: Dunno. None of them really stuck out to me. I would say Tarix because of his colour scheme and his design.

'10: See 09. But I would have to say Tahu, cause he's a tiny Tahu.

I had very few sets, and now have none, so I'm not going off of actual ownership here.

2001: Muaka and Kane-Ra.

2002: Cahdok and Gahdok.

2003: Takutanuva.

2004: Ultimate Dume.

2005: Keetongu, I guess. This one's hard.

2006: Kardas.

2007: Maxilos and Spinax.

2008: Takanuva.

2009: Toa Mata Nui, or Skopio XV-1.

2010: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

2001: Lewa (I liked the axe)

2002: Exo-Toa (owned two, sold them both. Curses)

2003: Lerahk (had to pick a Rahkshi, liked green sets at the time)

2004: Lhikan and Kikanalo (Ultimate Dume a very close second)

2005: Keetongu (really sturdy build, great fun to play with)

2006: Brutaka (gold, awesome swords, quite cool...?)

2007: Maxilos and Spinax (good build, poseable, really tall...fun!)

2008: Takanuva (possibly my favourite set of all time)

2009: Ackar (fairly typical Inika build, but he looked awesome)

2010: Tahu (not much to choose from)

Banner 2.png

Click on them to build them yourself!

Oooh, this is an interesting one :D

2001: Nui-Rama, great colours and you could make a Nui-Kopen with them both.

2002: Bahrag. They were just awesome.

2003: Kopaka Nuva, my first set. Shield and double-sword combo, using the swords as skis, possibly using the shield as a sled (ala Mask of Life)

2004: Nivawk. First titan I owned and I loved him.

2005: Tough one. Possibly Keetongu.

2006: Brutaka.

2007: Jaller Mahri and his liddle crab :P

2008: Takanuva, he was a great all-round set.

2009: Mata Nui. Love his shield pieces.

2010: Meh, Rahkshi I guess.

Edited by Gathered Friends

index.jpg

Twitter: @enkindle_this

2001: Tahu Mata

2002: Boxor

2003: Matoro

2004: Toa Lhikan and Kikanalo

2006: Brutaka, but really loved all the titans this year.

2007: Hydraxon

2008: Axalara T9

2009: Skopio XV-1

Hydraxon and Axalara bolded because they both tie for my overall favourites.  Also in terms of sets, 2007 > All

• Upvote 1

2001: Nui-Rama
2002: Gahlok
2003: Takanuva

2004: Nidhiki 
2006: Reidak
2007: Nocturn
2008: Lewa
2009: Glatorian Mata Nui
2010: Rahkshi

I dunno, some I like purely for the looks, some for the story if the sets that year were basically the same, some for sentimental value, but that's my list.

• Upvote 1

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

01: Muaka & Kane-Ra

02: Exo-Toa

03: Makuta

04: either Bordahk or Nivawk & Dume

05: hmmm... Sidorak? (voporak tho)

06: Kardas Dragon has got to be one of the coolest Bionicle sets ever... but if we're not counting combiners, I'd say Brutaka.

07: Lesovikk fer sure

08: Toa Ignika

09: uhh... uhh... I do like Malum...

10: Takanuva STARS

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

Just going by sets I have, I'll say:

2001: Tahu, hands down.

2002: The Boxor

2003: It's a tie between any of the original Rahkshi and Makuta.

2004: I only have four Metru and a Bordakh, but I'll say the Bordakh because of the excellent colour scheme and just how good it looks when assembled.

2005: Again, I only have Vakama, a Visorak and the Hagah, so I'll go with Norik.

2006: Brutaka. No competition unless I get Vezon and Fenrakk.

2007: Hahli.

2008: This is another tough one, seeing as I love Lewa Phantoka, Mazeka, Tahu Mistika, the Axalara and the Jetrax.

2009: Skrall.

2010: Tahu or Takanuva.

• Upvote 1

VBWj75sh.png

2001: Toa Mata Pohatu, for the kicking function and the kohlii ball. 

2002: Gahlok - bro has one, Bohrok are amazing. 

2003: Takanuva/Ussanui

2004: Probably Whenua. (the set implied that he could fly, so yeah)

2005: Probably Whenua, again. 

2006: We missed all of these, but I have to say Vezon/Fenrakk appears best. 

2007: Maxilos/Spinax. Wins for not having lime, and an actually interesting build.

2008: Toa Ignika

2009: Vastus

2010: Tahu

• Upvote 1

This was an interesting challenge, seeing as I kind of dislike BIONICLE stuff post 2003 (with the important exception of the promising reboot). I had to dig up some memories from when I was a more garden-variety collector.

2001:

I don't think I could select a single set from this year, as so many of them are iconic on their own merits. At the moment of writing I have to say the Manas win me over for their advanced functionality and the super fun battling game you could play with them. Easily the best implementation of the concept where play functions knock masks loose.

2002:

Exo-Toa! Sure, no knee articulation, but it is a really solid concept that isn't only really cool on its own, but builds on and supplements the already existing Toa sets.

2003:

The Rahkshi were definitely the champions of this year. I'll go with Turahk because I like the flame motif he has going. These things were just so revolutionary at the time, you don't even know.

2004:

This was a pretty bland year for me, to be honest. Let's go Ultimate Dume, his design was pretty innovative for its limitations as a combiner.

2005:

Battle of Metru-Nui. That playset was packed to the brim with entertaining play features, and featured some interesting architecture constructed from bricks in the seldom-used dark red color.

2006:

My gratitude goes out to the Piraka, who highlighted perfectly how silly BIONICLE had become with their yoyo totally hip advertising campaign and monstrous toothy grins.

2007:

I liked Hydraxon a lot at the time.

2008:

Axalara was technically impressive and visually appealing.

2009:

The Thornatus V9 was the most iconic to me. It played an important role in TLR and a unique shape.

2010:

Rahkshi was a pretty fair homage to the originals. And his BIO code was 'lolrat'.

Edited by Pereki
  • Upvote 1

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

2001: This is really hard to chose, since I like practically every set this year. I guess Onua.

2002: Bohrok, it doesn't matter which one.

2003: Makuta. I was waiting for this set since the start.

2004: One of the Toa Metru, but it is hard to pick which one. They are still pretty similar, so I guess it does not really matter.

2005: If playsets count, I would say the Tower of the Toa. If they don't, I guess one of the Titans. Maybe Keetongu.

2006: I have always loved how the Kardas Dragon looks, but I am not going to count it since it is a combiner. I would have to settle on Axonn.

2007: Hydraxon. Too bad all the plastic from that year is too brittle to play with a lot.

2008: Takanuva, easily. He is probably my favorite Titan too, and I love the Titans.

2009: I think that the Inika mode went out with a bang this year. I love all of the canister sets for 2009. With that being said, it would still have to be the Thornatus V9. It was an all around good looking and a lot of fun to play with. I just with that its pilot was more memorable.

2010: Tahu captured his original look better than any of the other Stars.

EDIT: I forgot about some other sets I really like, specifically Takua and Pewku (which has the best function with the crawling legs), and Krika. But Even with those, I am still happy with my original list.

Edited by J46 Nui
  • Upvote 1

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

My favorite sets from every year... That's a hard one... A REALLY hard one... Very roughly I suppose I'm gonna have to go with the following:

2001: The Toa Mata. Who could exclude even one of the OG Toa from a list like this? I can't make up my mind about which one I like more. They all compliment each other perfectly.

2002: Bohrok. I've always admired the build, concept, gear functions; everything about them! Personally, I'm not sure why they had to go and make multiple sets for them... They could have just made one super cool and cheap set and called it "Bohrok." I never understood that decision...

2003: Takanuva & Ussanui. Duh.

2004: Lhikan & Kikanolo. Again, duh. (With less emphasis.)

2005: Visorak. I like them cuz they're spidurz.  :surprised: I like Suukorak because he iz a white spidur. I like Keelerak because he iz a green spidur. I like Boggarak because he iz a blue spidur. I like Vohtarak because he iz a red spidur. I like Oohnorak because he iz a black spidur. And I like roporak because we're in a relationship.  :sigh: And because he iz a spidur who iz colored the same az poop and poop iz funny.  :alien:

2006: All of zem. I lack decisiveness in this area. They are all so awesome. Maybe Axonn. Maybe all the others. Such a hard choice. (Definitely Axonn. But the others are pretty close.)

2007: The Baraki. Because their faces are so messed up.  :superfunny:

2008: Krika. I mean really. Who could say no to these eyes:

Comic_Makuta_Krika.png

2009: Tuma. He has like the best build (in my opinion) of all sets from that year. He's like the best bad guy (in my opinion) Lego has come up with since the Makuta. (Except, you know, all the rest.)

2010: Toa Helryx. Yeah, I know. Why you ask?  Because, you know, she never got a set. And she deserved one more than all the 2010 sets combined. And because all of the 2010 sets suck. (In terms of build.)

My gratitude goes out to the Piraka, who highlighted perfectly how silly BIONICLE had become with their yoyo totally hip advertising campaign and monstrous toothy grins.

The Piraka Rap was the best song EVER. (In terms of stupidity of course.)

Edited by The Meta Knight

MetaKnight.gif  Stay vigilant, my friends. MetaKnight.gif

Hm. I'm not sure if I can remember what came out which years, so I'll do my best.

2001: Kopaka. He's the Toa of Ice, and that's my favorite of the six primary elements, so... yeah. Plus, he's just awesome.

2002: Uh, what came out this year? The Nuva? So probably Kopaka Nuva. I liked his weapon-that-can-turn-into-potentially-deadly-ski-things, and his mask was pretty cool.

2003: The blue Rahkshi (wow my memory is bad) because it was cool and it's the only set I can remember owning. I will say, though, that I really wanted the Takua and Pewku, and if I owned it, it would probably be my favorite.

2004: Nuju Metru. I never liked the gear function of the Toa Metru, but it was easily changed. I liked the masks, and Nuju's just happened to be my favorite.

2005: Nokama Hordika, because it is the only set I can remember owning and I (for some unknown reason) really liked the arms with the gear function. I wished both arms were like that.

2006: Axonn. Perhaps my single favorite set of every year, I liked everything about him. His hands, as outrageously big as they were, were cool simply because they had fingers, and his large, hefty build fit his character. And, of course, the axe.

2007: Maxilos and Spinax. I just thought it was a cool set. Spinax is awesome. Hahli Mahri is a close second.

2008: Kopaka. I just liked his design. Gali is a close second, though.

2009: Strakk. He was the only set I personally owned, but I liked his appearance. It was weird, but I felt that it fit the character. I also liked his axe.

2010: Uh, I don't think I owned anything from this year. But if I did... I don't know, probably Takanuva.

My epic: For Them (Review Topic)

BZPRPG: Trauer and Faora

Bionifight Ultimate: Daedalus Drachoren and Von Worten Undtränen

The Elder Scrolls: Ashfall: K'Larn

2003:

The Rahkshi were definitely the champions of this year. I'll go with Turahk because I like the flame motif he has going. These things were just so revolutionary at the time, you don't even know.

But really though. After the summer catalog came out I and my best friend at the time spent a good solid half-hour freaking the heck out over ACTUAL ARTICULATED KNEES :P and now even the small sets are gonna have those, with elbows to match. Truly we are living in an age of wonders

bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You