Gali

Xinlo

Hello there art forum! I haven't drawn anything in a year now, and it's been even longer since I posted anything here... haven't had any bionicle motivations. But now with 2015 around the corner I'm really getting excited and I plan to buy Gali first, as she was my first bionicle set back in 2002.

Anyway I decided to try drawing her in my usual style (human form with jumpsuit + armour layers) and I'm decently happy with the result.obviously there's always areas to improve - not 100% sold on the mask, the hands could be better and there's probably a few perspective issues. I also tend to be a bit scribbly in my lines (thanks stuart sayger)...

So yeah without any further excuses for myself here's my take on 2015 Gali (click thumbnail for ull picture):

thumbgali.jpg

(Note: she's supposed to be swimming with her flippers on but the scanner cut off her feet...)

Comments and criticism are always welcome, tear it apart if you feel you must. I'm so out of practice I could really use tips on what needs work!

Thanks for looking.

Edited by The Xinlo
  • Upvote 8

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

Awesome drawing! Even though your lines are kind of scribbly they also feel very straight and deliberate, giving the drawing a unified visual language, so to speak. The shading and lineweights are excellent. It'd be great if you could draw some of the other Toa in this style!

• Upvote 1

@Aanchir: Thank you! I do plan on doing Lewa in this style as well, t least. Possibly more assuming I don't lose inspiration again.

@Banana Gunz: I agree the mask is a bit wrong, may try to fix it up when I get a chance. I don't know if I'll colour this as I'm not very good at digital colouring, and all my coloured pencils seem to have vanished. :/

Thanks for the replies!

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

Thanks, Nidhiki! Whenever I do this style of art I always try my best to wrap the bionicle pieces (with some modifications) around human proportions so the characters are more recognizable. Glad you approve.

E8c8QpP.jpg

This is really well done. I like the styalized look of the character. It blends the human and Bionicle aspects really well. The mask is definitely my favorite part.

My only issues are probably the armor on the upper arms and legs. On the arms, they look a little small compared to the rest of her body, while her leg armor seems a little too elongated.

But overall, great drawing. Do you plan on doing more of the Toa?