2015 time travel?

So this is somewhat of a conspariacy. In the promo video, you can see in the top left what looks to be a mask of time. There is also a temple of time on okoto. Also, I listen to the ttv podcast, and they were saying that time travel came up quite a bit when asking about the new bionicle. So what if the 2 universes are somehow connected? And if so, how would it all fit?

db76a003-790e-461b-a18a-fa88a856ee11_zps

Check out my reinforced double ball cup!

Maybe Okoto is the island where the Mata trained, before they came to Mata Nui.

Nope. The Toa Mata trained on Daxia.

(Source: BIONICLE Legends 10: Swamp of Secrets.)

• Upvote 1
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Maybe Okoto is the island where the Mata trained, before they came to Mata Nui.

Nope. The Toa Mata trained on Daxia.

(Source: BIONICLE Legends 10: Swamp of Secrets.)

Perhaps the name changed? I know it's unlikely, but it's possible.

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

I think it's about 31 or so sec into the promo vid that you can see the mask of time up in the top left corner by ekimu's head. Any thoughts on this? It looks kind of abstract, but I don't know what else it could be. Also, what if this is actually a parallel universe and the mask of time actually draws energy/uses other universes to time travel? In which case that would make this a parallel universe of sorts. Also, maybe artahka used the vahi and that's why ekimu has the mask of creation?

Edited by Cap'n Shirley J. Puma

No, complete reboot, no conection to the previous story whatsoever

Do you have any proof? As far as I know, lego has not officially confirmed it is a full reboot with no ties to the old universe whatsoever. Also, listening to ttv, they had asked where the masks for ekimu and makuta had come from, and the guy at nycc (keep in mind this guy is an official lego staff member there) had said he could not talk about that. So this hints at a higher being. Also, sorry if I'm being somewhat of a jerk, but I'm just trying to defend my theory, so I apologize if I am mean or make some really big stretches and if's.

• Upvote 1

No, complete reboot, no conection to the previous story whatsoever

Do you have any proof? As far as I know, lego has not officially confirmed it is a full reboot with no ties to the old universe whatsoever. Also, listening to ttv, they had asked where the masks for ekimu and makuta had come from, and the guy at nycc (keep in mind this guy is an official lego staff member there) had said he could not talk about that. So this hints at a higher being. Also, sorry if I'm being somewhat of a jerk, but I'm just trying to defend my theory, so I apologize if I am mean or make some really big stretches and if's.

There's no confirmation that there's no connection to the original story (in fact, the fact that new versions of the classic Toa exist would be a "connection" in itself, even if it doesn't tie the canons together). But at the same time, there's been more to suggest that the new canon is independent of the old than there has been to suggest that the two are linked by more than just names and concepts. The Mask of Time image is more likely than not just an easter egg (we were told there would be plenty to find).

I think even if the two canons are linked then there's more to suggest that this is simply an alternate universe rather than the same universe at a different time. The island of Okoto never appeared in the original story, and differences between the stories (like the Toa needing elemental masks to fully control their powers) suggests that the two universes are pretty different even in their most fundamental similarities.

The Bionicle staff not commenting on where Ekimu and Makuta's masks came from doesn't necessarily imply a higher being; it's just another example of them not sharing more information about the new story than necessary. It's just as likely that Ekimu and/or Makuta created their own masks, but they don't want to share how because it will be important to the story at a later date. I wouldn't get too hung up on the idea of "higher beings", anyway—from the animation Ekimu and Makuta seemed to be almost the same as villagers like the Protectors, so it's entirely possible that they're only greater due to their own achievements, and aren't any sorts of deities or "higher powers" themselves.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 5

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

janwenzel1 wrote:

dear mr farsthey is there a connection from the new storyline to the old storyline?

It's been confirmed at the BIONICLE panel in New York that this is a reboot, not a continuation of the old storyline.

It's a reboot.

Not sure if Greg can be a really credible source here. These quotes seem to indicate that he does not know where Bionicle 2015 and onward will go.

janwenzel1 wrote:

i know its a reboot but you said once the 2009 storyline was a reboot too but it had a connection to the old story. so i wonder if this reboot has one too.

I guess you will have to decide that for yourself as time goes on. But the difference with 2009 and 2015 is that BIONICLE was very much a known thing in 2009 ... in 2015, most kids in the target age -- 8-11 -- don't know what BIONICLE is, so tying it into old story wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

At this point, the story team is done with their work for 2015. So I don't think any major changes could or would be made now. Questions about the nature of the 2015 story should really be asked in the BIONICLE forum, as I am not involved with the new line.

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

I was listening to 'TTV' and they said that when the were asking questions about the storyline to the BIONICLE 2015 team they said that the Kanohi Vahi only took up half of Vakama's face. So the other half could've ended up in this universe. And in the trailer the is a Vahi cloud. I think the old universe and this universe is connected in the future with the Masters allying with our favourite original Toa.

I think the old universe and this universe is connected in the future with the Masters allying with our favourite original Toa.

I strongly doubt that it'd be connected like that. If story complexity bogging things down was an issue before, just imagine having two characters for each name.

• Upvote 3

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Not sure if Greg can be a really credible source here. These quotes seem to indicate that he does not know where Bionicle 2015 and onward will go.

That's exactly the point. He's basically "in charge" of the old continuity, so if they were connected, at least in some way other than just being alternate universes, you'd think they would have let him know. :P

We can't absolutely rule it out, but let's not expect it either; no connection is needed at all. My thinking is we should assume there isn't one (not literally assume but yeah :P) and if it turns out there is, let that be a pleasant surprise. (At least... I hope it would be pleasant... some of the pretzel logic I'm seeing from people trying to get a connection out of anything would not necessarily be fun if done... Half a Vahi time travels and becomes a cloud lol wut? (But hopefully those people are joking? :P))

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I still think the Masters are the Toa Mata.

Wouldn't their differing powers and personalities rule that out?

That's the issue with creating ties to the old universe. It begs the question of why differences exist. If Makuta is the same, you have to explain how he survived and traveled to the new universe. If the Toa are the same, you have to explain away their differing characterization. If the new universe is a divergent timeline, then you have to explain how EVERY difference could stem from a specific point of divergence. And the time spent explaining or justifying differences is better spent creating a new, better story.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

That's exactly the point. He's basically "in charge" of the old continuity, so if they were connected, at least in some way other than just being alternate universes, you'd think they would have let him know. :P

Unless it was part of the Grand Big Secret to be revealed in 2019. :P

(At least... I hope it would be pleasant... some of the pretzel logic I'm seeing from people trying to get a connection out of anything would not necessarily be fun if done... Half a Vahi time travels and becomes a cloud lol wut? (But hopefully those people are joking? :P))

This.

Although I thought it had something to do with the in-universe Vahi not being a whole mask or some such nonsense. Then the other half of it time-traveled the Toa Mata to Okoto. This strikes me as wrong on multiple levels - for one thing, time travel doesn't exist in Bionicle ( :P), why would the Vahi be half a mask as opposed to a whole mask, and why do we need that to happen for this universe to be in the same one as the original? It was a rapid-fire wackadoodle TTV theory that I'm not sure holds much water.

Really, if you want to connect the new and the old, there is actually a very very simple solution that is obvious and people aren't thinking of. Well, actually three, but the first two have big problems in other respects. Unfortunately, it's a big part of a fanfiction that I planned out before any of this 2015 stuff ever came on the scene, so I must remain mum for now.

• Upvote 1

To those of you confused as to what was actually said at the Bionicle NYCC panel, here's BZP's recording of the panel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTv5VVGYguU

Yeah, the way the questions were asked by TTV and the way they were answered both can be interpreted in different ways. But basically, the only way the Okotoverse is connected to the Mataverse is by a Star Trek 2009 connection where something happened that changed the course of the timeline resulting in a lot of changes and creating an alternate universe. (And supposedly, the Vahi, being able to control time, might play a part in all of that.)

But yeah. This is a reboot, and the only way Gen 2 is connected to Gen 1 in any way would be an alternate universe connection. And for all we know, the folks at NYCC only said the Vahi was half a mask because it is. The fact they said the reboot has the full one only indicates that there is a Mask of Time in the reboot that covers the whole face, not that the reboot has the other half of the Vahi from the Mataverse that would supposedly be incomplete. Yep, this is confusing. :dazed: :P

Unless it was part of the Grand Big Secret to be revealed in 2019. :P

That would be unfortunate for us, since we would have already figured it out in 2014 before the theme even began. :P

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

You know, thinking about this, I guess there are a lot of holes, and trying to fill them in would be counterproductive since they are trying to make the story easier to understand. Still, I wonder if there is a connection, will the protectors be like the turaga and tell the story? Just an idea. By the way, what is this super big reveal thing in 2019?

From what I saw on TTV's site and Twitter and such, it looks like they asked something about the Vahi, and some things were "suggested" at about there being two pieces to the Vahi or something, and previous Vahi use, or something?

• Upvote 1
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Yeah, that's basically the debate here... :P

You know, thinking about this, I guess there are a lot of holes, and trying to fill them in would be counterproductive since they are trying to make the story easier to understand. Still, I wonder if there is a connection, will the protectors be like the turaga and tell the story? Just an idea. By the way, what is this super big reveal thing in 2019?

Nothing that we know of. It was a joke about the GSR reveal from Bionicle's first run.
  • Upvote 1

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Unless they are planning to converge em later and Greg either doesn't know about it or was not told about the true nature of the new story teams plans. ;)

I'm kidding obviously, but admit it: there have been times when Greg's answers have been contradictory for the sake of keeping the surprises!

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

I'm kidding obviously, but admit it: there have been times when Greg's answers have been contradictory for the sake of keeping the surprises!

What do you mean?

Greg has "forgetconned" by accident, and he gives clever answers that avoid spoiling things, but I've never seen him knowingly say something false. Somebody might interpret his clever answers as contradictory, but that doesn't make them so. :)

• Upvote 3

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

What do you mean?

Greg has "forgetconned" by accident, and he gives clever answers that avoid spoiling things, but I've never seen him knowingly say something false. Somebody might interpret his clever answers as contradictory, but that doesn't make them so. :)

I agree with this so much. It really frustrates me when people misinterpret or make assumptions about information we get from Greg (or anyone at LEGO), and then go on to claim that we can't trust official info because LEGO has a habit of lying. Granted, sometimes people like Greg DO contradict themselves, usually by mistake, but that doesn't make them habitual liars who can't be trusted about ANYTHING.

What do you mean?

I agree with this so much. It really frustrates me when people misinterpret or make assumptions about information we get from Greg (or anyone at LEGO), and then go on to claim that we can't trust official info because LEGO has a habit of lying. Granted, sometimes people like Greg DO contradict themselves, usually by mistake, but that doesn't make them habitual liars who can't be trusted about ANYTHING.

It's not like I don't trust Lego answers or Greg, but what he said about 2015 doesn't necessarily confirm or unconfirm anything, I'd say it's still open in the air, since we can't actually rely on Greg for 2015. Sure, as Boneseiii has just made clear, I'm one of the people who unfortunately saw his clever answers as being contradictory, but that doesn't mean I never trust Lego answers or call them distrustful liars.  

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

I was listening to 'TTV' and they said that when the were asking questions about the storyline to the BIONICLE 2015 team they said that the Kanohi Vahi only took up half of Vakama's face. So the other half could've ended up in this universe. And in the trailer the is a Vahi cloud. I think the old universe and this universe is connected in the future with the Masters allying with our favourite original Toa.

If the attachment for the original Vahi connects to the mouth like all the masks in the G1 canon, maybe the theoretical other half connects to the top/sides of the head like the G2 masks.

I agree we don't have absolute disproof that there's a connection between the two continuities, besides the alternate universe thing. I'm just saying, it seems unwise to me for people to be pinning hope on the slight chance that there is -- if it was something like the Star Trek reboot, I really think Greg would have been told, and his answer would have been more ambiguous.

That does assume they would have told him though, admittedly. We can't be sure, but that's why I'm saying, it seems best to "assume" no connection unless/until they do give one (if it's a cool one), so it'll be a pleasant surprise. That way if it happens it'll be more fun, and if it doesn't, no harm done. :)

• Upvote 2

I agree we don't have absolute disproof that there's a connection between the two continuities, besides the alternate universe thing. I'm just saying, it seems unwise to me for people to be pinning hope on the slight chance that there is -- if it was something like the Star Trek reboot, I really think Greg would have been told, and his answer would have been more ambiguous.

That does assume they would have told him though, admittedly. We can't be sure, but that's why I'm saying, it seems best to "assume" no connection unless/until they do give one (if it's a cool one), so it'll be a pleasant surprise. That way if it happens it'll be more fun, and if it doesn't, no harm done. :)

Definitely with you on that. Too early to judge but better not to expect anything regarding a connection. Regardless, I'm just excited to see where it goes. :)

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Greg isn't on the story team for the new Bionicle, so why would they tell him the big secret? But yeah, for now, let's just assume there is no Star Trek 2009-style connection between the Mataverse & Okotoverse. It's all way too confusing. :P

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Because a connection to the Gen1 universe would be relevant to the Gen1 universe. :P And to check with him to avoid contradictions, etc.

• Upvote 2

And the plot thickens... Apparently, Bionicle 2015 IS a soft reboot (sorta), because according to this info, there is no way to disprove it, especially with the mysterious disappearance of the temple of time slide at NYCC that was the only one not uploaded to the Lego Bionicle Facebook page, not to mention the official employee at NYCC being the one to bring up the Vahi in the first place, NOT TTV. This is... interesting. :???:

(NYCC Vahi discussion begins at 3:55)

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator
  • Upvote 2

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

I can honestly see it happening as a sort of connection/close-out to the series for the old fans, but I think we can live without it. It's not completely necessary. The way TTV worded it made it seem convincing that this was another major leak that was never meant to be seen that slipped out accidentally. I dunno. I'm just gonna pretend nothing happened, look at it as a full reboot, and enjoy the story as it comes.

• Upvote 2

And the plot thickens... Apparently, Bionicle 2015 IS a soft reboot (sorta), because according to this info, there is no way to disprove it, especially with the mysterious disappearance of the temple of time slide at NYCC that was the only one not uploaded to the Lego Bionicle Facebook page, not to mention the official employee at NYCC being the one to bring up the Vahi in the first place, NOT TTV. This is... interesting. :???:

Well, that does certainly seem confusing. Again, it's up in the air but I think it would be safe to not expect the Vahi to play a pivotal role or be responsible for somehow connecting the universes. Save some people disappointment if it does not happen.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

*snip*

Didn't see your comment here. I'd just like to point out that the reason why there's no way to disprove it because the evidence for it is very shaky. This is confusing indeed, but I don't think we should jump to conclusions. Until truly proven/shown otherwise, it's best to assume that it is a full reboot as was officially announced.

Edited by Banana Gunz

I find the time travel connection a little hard to believe, considering this is coming from one second-hand source and the whole "the Vahi is half a mask" thing was being tossed around as a fanfic idea not too long ago.

Besides, it would drag in all the complication of Generation 1, which I believe they're trying to avoid.

Edited by Mahou Shoujo Mega Man
  • Upvote 2

Ok, after reading and watching extensive info on all this, I think the final answer to the whole Vahi thing is:

The story team is keeping Gen 2 open so it could be a soft reboot, Star Trek 2009 style, but they are treating it like a hard reboot. I think they're keeping it open so fans can choose whether or not they want the universes connected in their minds.

I'll be thinking of Gen 2 like an alternate universe that is connected somehow to Gen 1 via some crazy time-travel-Vahi-alternate-universe-timeline incident. So in my headcanon, it's possible that Vezon could end up in the Okotoverse.

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

. So in my headcanon, it's possible that Vezon could end up in the Okotoverse.

Vezon is essentially Bionicle Deadpool. I expect him to make an appearance in Chima or whatever else Greg is writing now.

• Upvote 2

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...