Lava resistance ?

I always assumed he landed at the bottom of the conveyor, or on a solid slab like the one he rode on.

Rewatching just now, it clearly shows him diving into the lava.

Basically it depends on how heated it is, or how much heat the Toa absorbs as elemental energy temporarily to cool it down. We could assume that particular stream wasn't supersupersuperheated but just heated enough to glow. If it's not too hot, they should be able to resist the heat for a short time. The vid doesn't show how long he was submerged, so we're free to presume it wasn't long.

• Upvote 3

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Also, remember Legends #5? When Vezon & Fenrakk fell into the lava, Jaller was prepared to jump in after them (not knowing that Vezon, the beast, and the Mask would be just fine), and stated that he would last longer in the lava than any of the others. So, yes, I think it's safe to say that Toa of Fire can survive in Lava for short dips, as has been suggested.

• Upvote 4

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Two things.

First, Jaller Inika was prepared to dive into lava to rescue the Mask of Life, and that he'd survive at least a few seconds in it. (Edit: Ninja'd.)

Second, that's not really lava, it's the molten form of some kind of metallic protodermis, which may have a substantially lower melting point. Fully molten lava is about 700-900*C, higher than the melting points of aluminum, antimony, cadmium, lead, selenium, tin or zinc.

Edited by Akavakaku
  • Upvote 1

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

I've actually never seen this video before. I wouldn't have thought that a Toa of Fire could survive something like this.

But anyway, to add what others have said about Jaller Inika going to after Vezon in the pool of lava, Jaller says that he could possibly survive for about ten seconds before being killed by the lava. And Akavakaku could be right in that the molten metallic protodermis may have a lower melting point than lava. If so, then Vakama could've possibly lasted even longer than ten seconds when he made his dive into the molten protodermis. And since we don't see how long he was in the substance, its possible that he could've got out of it before it any serious damage to him.

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Also, remember Legends #5? When Vezon & Fenrakk fell into the lava, Jaller was prepared to jump in after them (not knowing that Vezon, the beast, and the Mask would be just fine), and stated that he would last longer in the lava than any of the others. So, yes, I think it's safe to say that Toa of Fire can survive in Lava for short dips, as has been suggested.

I've completely forgot about Jaller

This is part of the reason that BS01 lists promotional animations as being non-canon.

But it appeared in Vakama's promo CD, which, to my knowledge, is canon.

But it appeared in Vakama's promo CD, which, to my knowledge, is canon.

Yes but I do not believe it was made SPECIFICALLY for Vakama's promo CD. It was a promotional animation that they probably had to include within the contents of the CD somewhere.

These promotional animations are made to sell toys. They aren't necessarily tied to story details. When Vakama jumps into the molten protodermis, it's for stylistic flair. 

Now to be honest, I was confused the first time I saw this in 2004 thinking "Wouldn't he have just died?" Regardless, I don't think it would have bugged many kids who did not know the specific power sets of a fire Toa.

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Also, we don't know the melting point of protodermis. It's entirely possible that metallic and organic proto can withstand greater temperatures that we can, even with the added heat protection provided by a Toa of Fire's power.

Except that, according to Vakama in the Jan. 2004 comic, molten protodermis "melts everything in its path."

So I guess that's just proof that the video is non-canon :P

• Upvote 1

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
-------------------------------------
Rate The Song Above You

Also, we don't know the melting point of protodermis. It's entirely possible that metallic and organic proto can withstand greater temperatures that we can, even with the added heat protection provided by a Toa of Fire's power.

Except that, according to Vakama in the Jan. 2004 comic, molten protodermis "melts everything in its path."

Melts everything, yes. But how quickly? It may melt "everything," but it doesn't say that it melts it instantly. Could take a few moments, depending on the material.

• Upvote 2

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Is this canon at all ? Does only Toa of Fire have this type of resistance ? The Molten Protodermis that the Hagah encountered looks like was going to kill them, tho.

Interestingly, out of all the scenarios brought up, this is actually the one where the Toa were in least danger. Not only was Norik a Toa of Fire, but he had a tool with the power of lava in it. :P If Miserix hadn't insulted their power by rescuing them, they probably would still be around. 

No, see my earlier post. I was alluding to that very quote; you're making the mistake my post was correcting, in assuming all molten protodermis is of the same temperature.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Maybe there's also something different about organic protodermis, especially for a Toa of Fire. It inherits properties of both metals and flesh, so perhaps it can withstand higher heats like a metal, but the organic properties help it remain solid at higher temperatures. Perhaps the organic protodermis of Toa of Fire has an even higher heat resistance. Just a theory.

Interestingly, out of all the scenarios brought up, this is actually the one where the Toa were in least danger. Not only was Norik a Toa of Fire, but he had a tool with the power of lava in it. :P If Miserix hadn't insulted their power by rescuing them, they probably would still be around.

I thought his spear could only shoot a stream of lava, not control it. And even if it could, Norik was magnetized to wall and could not move.

This is interesting. I think the idea that the protodermis was on a much lower temperature than the usual super-hot is the best theory here. And toa of fire can sense heat and how hot things are, right? I'm thinking that they would be able to understand how hot the molten protodermis is before jumping in, and wouldn't go in if they sense that it's immediately deadly.

Katuko also brings up a good point as to why the Toa Hagah couldn't escape the lava trap.

I think the general consensus is that:

• Molten proto varies in temp
  • We don't know the official heat-resistant threshold of metallic or organic proto (could be pretty high, compared to us)
  • Toa of Fire are naturally resistant to extreme heat and can survive for a few seconds in lava
  • ToF can absorb any excess heat to potentially survive for a few more seconds

Have I missed anything?

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Not to mention that, as a protosmith, Vakama ought to have a good idea of how hot the various forms of molten protodermis are, and have a good idea of which he could safely enter with his newly increased heat tolerance.

• Upvote 1

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins