Bionicle: The Ultimate Storyline Reading Order (2001-2010)

joev14

This is a nice list, especially since there'll be a surge of new fans once 2015 rolls around.

I wholeheartedly agree! I've actually helped 2 or 3 new fans with a reading order, so I figured I'd go ahead and make a topic for it. I've also always been fascinated with the idea of creating a chronological order (Though never got around to it until now because it's so tedious!)

• Upvote 1

This is a good list -- much simpler than past attempts I've seen. I think the chronological list is missing some of the odd chapters out like the chapter in one of the books about the two GBs who hid the Ignika, and the Barraki flashback, though. I think (but you'd have to check to be sure) those are from Inferno and City of the Lost, respectively? There may be others, too. Mutran Chronicles also has some chapters that take place early. (The comments in my retelling cover pretty much anything like this, although I may have missed some. I could check them over for you maybe if you like, but I might not have time. They'll all go public eventually as I post new chapters, though. :))

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

This is a good list -- much simpler than past attempts I've seen. I think the chronological list is missing some of the odd chapters out like the chapter in one of the books about the two GBs who hid the Ignika, and the Barraki flashback, though. I think (but you'd have to check to be sure) those are from Inferno and City of the Lost, respectively? There may be others, too. Mutran Chronicles also has some chapters that take place early. (The comments in my retelling cover pretty much anything like this, although I may have missed some. I could check them over for you maybe if you like, but I might not have time. They'll all go public eventually as I post new chapters, though. :))

I forgot about those two flashbacks, I'll make sure to add them. My goal for the Spoiler-Free List was to create something that wouldn't intimidate new fans (as many of the lists I've seen have), I wanted to make something very simple. The Chronological List is far more complicated, and probably only understandable to someone who's read mostly everything at least once before. I'd appreciate any help you can offer with the Chronological List!

EDIT: I know where the Barraki one would fall, but would the Great Beings Flashback fit in before or after Decadence?

Edited by joev14
  • Upvote 1

Jeezy petes its a new way to read the storyline. I'll be sure to give this a try!

• Upvote 1

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

EDIT: I know where the Barraki one would fall, but would the Great Beings Flashback fit in before or after Decadence?

Good question. I'd put it after just to group it with your History of Mata Nui section and it'll be more understandable after the context of the Core War. But since the giant was being made during the Core War, no real way to tell.

Also, there's a flashback to another scene during the giant's construction in Journey's End, which I still haven't been able to get, but BS01 says so here:

http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/BIONICLE:_Journey%27s_End

And there's Mata Nui Saga slides to incorporate, not sure how you'd go about that, but yeah.

Aaaand... Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but did you include the comics?

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Good question. I'd put it after just to group it with your History of Mata Nui section and it'll be more understandable after the context of the Core War. But since the giant was being made during the Core War, no real way to tell.

Also, there's a flashback to another scene during the giant's construction in Journey's End, which I still haven't been able to get, but BS01 says so here:

http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/BIONICLE:_Journey%27s_End

And there's Mata Nui Saga slides to incorporate, not sure how you'd go about that, but yeah.

The Mata Nui Saga Slides, like the Journey's End Summary, are essentially the events that occur in Journey's End, so I didn't bother adding them (It'd be very repetitive).

The same goes for the comics, though I do acknowledge that there are comic-exclusive stories. My suggestion is that the readers follow this list, then after they've finished it, go back and read all the comics as a review. For the most part, this would work (perhaps, with the exception of the Tales of Bara Magna papercutz exclusives, I haven't quite decided yet where I'll put those in the Spoiler-Free List).

• Upvote 1

Also, there's a flashback to another scene during the giant's construction in Journey's End, which I still haven't been able to get, but BS01 says so here.

Journey's End is here.  

It doesn't look like it.

As I said before, the Mata Nui Saga Slides, like the Journey's End Summary, are essentially the events that occur in Journey's End, so I didn't bother adding them (It'd be very repetitive).

The same goes for the comics, though I do acknowledge that there are comic-exclusive stories. My suggestion is that the readers follow this list, then after they've finished it, go back and read all the comics as a review. For the most part, this would work (perhaps, with the exception of the Tales of Bara Magna papercutz exclusives, I haven't quite decided yet where I'll put those in the Spoiler-Free List).

• Upvote 1

Also, there's a flashback to another scene during the giant's construction in Journey's End, which I still haven't been able to get, but BS01 says so here.

Journey's End is here.  

It doesn't look like it.

As I said before, the Mata Nui Saga Slides, like the Journey's End Summary, are essentially the events that occur in Journey's End, so I didn't bother adding them (It'd be very repetitive).

I respect your decision not to include the comics and the Mata Nui Saga. 

• Upvote 1

Journey's End is here.  

It doesn't look like it.

I respect your decision not to include the comics and the Mata Nui Saga. 

:P I've added in a section about the comics now. But yes, the Mata Nui Saga is unnecessary, as it is just another summarization of Journey's End.

• Upvote 1

Well, I'm actually doing this right now since I am retreading the Bionicle story. I am only at 2005, so this will come in handy for years with serials (I was actually worried about how I should go about those, so this couldn't have come at a better time). 

One suggestion I would say is make a more comprehensive list that places the comics in the book timeline as well. I understand the decision to not include them in the reading order, but some of the comics do clearly take place in between books and other media that might fill in some blanks. 

-NotS

• Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

Well, I'm actually doing this right now since I am retreading the Bionicle story. I am only at 2005, so this will come in handy for years with serials (I was actually worried about how I should go about those, so this couldn't have come at a better time). 

One suggestion I would say is make a more comprehensive list that places the comics in the book timeline as well. I understand the decision to not include them in the reading order, but some of the comics do clearly take place in between books and other media that might fill in some blanks. 

-NotS

I feel like having the comics in there at the same exact time would be confusing and overwhelming to new fans. I'll consider adding them to the Chronological List though. I've already added a comics list to the Spoiler-Free List, with the idea that the reader should read them in review of the rest of the story, I think this makes a lot of sense.

It may be worth mentioning that the comics actually are generally recommended as the single source (mostly) for brand-new fans, as they're much less complex than books, easier for young'uns since they're visual more than literary, and cover just the basics of the storyline.

True, that way they're just getting the very basics of the story, and there are points the comics don't cover in favor of for example the movies that would get you confused.

But point is, depending on whether a fan wants simple first or complex first, it may actually make sense to first read all the comics, then go to a more in-depth reading list like this. You could perhaps suggest either alternative in your firstpost (read them first, or last), if you don't want to try to put them in order (it's not easy to get them in order; my original timeline that the BS01 one is based on did that, and it was a ton of work, though incomplete as not all comics were out at the time).

• Upvote 1

It may be worth mentioning that the comics actually are generally recommended as the single source (mostly) for brand-new fans, as they're much less complex than books, easier for young'uns since they're visual more than literary, and cover just the basics of the storyline.

True, that way they're just getting the very basics of the story, and there are points the comics don't cover in favor of for example the movies that would get you confused.

But point is, depending on whether a fan wants simple first or complex first, it may actually make sense to first read all the comics, then go to a more in-depth reading list like this. You could perhaps suggest either alternative in your firstpost (read them first, or last), if you don't want to try to put them in order (it's not easy to get them in order; my original timeline that the BS01 one is based on did that, and it was a ton of work, though incomplete as not all comics were out at the time).

While I can see why this would make sense, I feel like the comics would end up spoiling most of the story. A lot of the climax points in the story are a lot better written and more in depth in the books, and I feel like if I were a new reader, I'd wanna see the best stuff first. Having the comics as a review afterwards seems like a good idea to me so they can get a refresher if they've been doing it over a long period of time (Obviously not every new fan will blast through the series in a couple weeks, it may be done over the entire course of 2015). Regardless of my opinion on the matter, I will still consider sticking a note in there saying you can choose to either do comics first or after.

• Upvote 3

Good points. :)

• Upvote 1

I believe that the title should be 2001 - 2011 instead of 2001 - 2010.

I think some Greg quotes that tell what happens after the serials would be helpful.

• Upvote 1

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I believe that the title should be 2001 - 2011 instead of 2001 - 2010.

I think some Greg quotes that tell what happens after the serials would be helpful.

Even though there were a couple Serial chapters that ended in 2011, they actually really fit in with the 2010 story, and I don't want to confuse the new readers into thinking, "wait, I thought it ended in 2010?"

How exactly would I fit Greg's quotes in as story material?

I just have a question about VNOG. I thought it was deemed non-canonical? I mean completely non-canonical, not only partially like MNOG and MNOG II.

I don't remember that, but I consider it canon. It lines up with most of the storyline aspects of 2006

This is a great list! As others have said, the layout is surprisingly simple, but it's comprehensive nonetheless. One mistake I think I noticed: doesn't The Dweller Report take place 500 years after Web of Shadows? Shouldn't it come after Time Trap in the chronological order?

This is a great list! As others have said, the layout is surprisingly simple, but it's comprehensive nonetheless. One mistake I think I noticed: doesn't The Dweller Report take place 500 years after Web of Shadows? Shouldn't it come after Time Trap in the chronological order?

Thanks, and you're right! I missed that one!

No problem!

No problem!

Lemme know if you notice any others. :)

Edited by joev14

In the spoiler free order, I think that The Mutran Chronicles and Federation of Fear should come before Shadows in the Sky as the former indirectly mentions Matoro using the Ignika at the end of it, and Icarax is mentioned killing Botar in the latter, which would have been before he left for Karda Nui. I feel that order might work better but I'm not sure. Otherwise, I really like this list, I had been looking for one like it, good job :)

Edited by VakamaMetruNui

796145519_BZPLotBLogo.png.6d877ccaba9a07cee599cd162e7da3e9.png

Library Topic ^ Credit to Llortor for the custom Nuva Symbols

In the spoiler free order, I think that The Mutran Chronicles and Federation of Fear should come before Shadows in the Sky as the former indirectly mentions Matoro using the Ignika at the end of it, and Icarax is mentioned killing Botar in the latter, which would have been before he left for Karda Nui. I feel that order might work better but I'm not sure. Otherwise, I really like this list, I had been looking for one like it, good job :)

The reason I stuck them afterwards is because Shadows in the Sky introduces these characters. If a reader were to start reading the Mutran Chronicles, they'd be shocked to discover that there's more than one Makuta, and have half a dozen names thrown at them, without really any introduction to them. It makes sense in the Chronological Order, though not as much to a new reader. Thanks for the idea though!  

• Upvote 1

No problem!

I looked through it again. I didn't see anything wrong with the chronological order, but I'm not sure why The Dweller Report is still ahead of Time Trap in the spoiler-free one? Not to harp on about the same thing. :P

• Upvote 1

No problem!

I looked through it again. I didn't see anything wrong with the chronological order, but I'm not sure why The Dweller Report is still ahead of Time Trap in the spoiler-free one? Not to harp on about the same thing. :P

I moved it up on the spoiler-free one too...I thought?

EDIT: Whoops! I moved No One Gets Left Behind by accident!

EDIT 2: Fix'd now. :)

Edited by joev14
  • Upvote 1

While I can see why this would make sense, I feel like the comics would end up spoiling most of the story. A lot of the climax points in the story are a lot better written and more in depth in the books, and I feel like if I were a new reader, I'd wanna see the best stuff first. Having the comics as a review afterwards seems like a good idea to me so they can get a refresher if they've been doing it over a long period of time (Obviously not every new fan will blast through the series in a couple weeks, it may be done over the entire course of 2015). Regardless of my opinion on the matter, I will still consider sticking a note in there saying you can choose to either do comics first or after.

I would also like to point out that the comics never actually end the 2003, 04, or 05 storylines, instead leaving it to the movies from each year respectively to end them, making them a bad choice to fully understand the story from those years.

Wyrd byð swyðost

I really need to be more active

I feel like having the comics in there at the same exact time would be confusing and overwhelming to new fans. I'll consider adding them to the Chronological List though. I've already added a comics list to the Spoiler-Free List, with the idea that the reader should read them in review of the rest of the story, I think this makes a lot of sense.

Makes sense, I definitely agree with this for the years where the main story events are covered in both books and comics. But I think it would be alright to add in the comics like from 2003 - 05 that actually take place between events (for example, 05 is very messy in terms of placement). Might make it clearer for someone who wants to go through the comicbooks chronologically as well.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Makes sense, I definitely agree with this for the years where the main story events are covered in both books and comics. But I think it would be alright to add in the comics like from 2003 - 05 that actually take place between events (for example, 05 is very messy in terms of placement). Might make it clearer for someone who wants to go through the comicbooks chronologically as well.

-NotS

Perhaps for the Chronological order, but I don't want it to be overwhelming for new fans to be alternating between books and comics (I know this confused me a TON when I was reading the series).

Edited by joev14

Ok, this list is just gold.

Its something Lego should've done ages ago, would've made the story much easier to follow.

Lego had a general order for the books, though the serials weren't ordered because many of them were written at the same time. I'm glad you like it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just have a question about VNOG. I thought it was deemed non-canonical? I mean completely non-canonical, not only partially like MNOG and MNOG II.

I don't remember that, but I consider it canon. It lines up with most of the storyline aspects of 2006

Are you sure it adds any crucial information to it, though? (besides maybe the canon enemies and Rahi?)

Anyways, this is interesting; I was thinking of eventually getting into G1's story properly through reading the 2001-2003 & 2006 books I have, watching the movies, playing the games like MNOLG and Heroes (not canon, but included with it anyway) and so fourth, I could actually use this as a guide for when I do that with years like 2001, so thanks! I don't have a lot of the books though, so maybe I'd have to get those some more of those at some point...

Another thing to consider, I assume things like the movies aren't included because their information is already here, but what about that first GBA game Tales of the Tohunga? Didn't that cite Takua's doings to get the Toa Stones and make the Toa arrive? I assume it would make sense to add that to it.

• Upvote 1

Pre-forums purge sig kept for historical purposes:

Some cool Bionicles are the combiners. Example: Toa Jovan

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=309724