Set Review: 70788 Kopaka Master of Ice

Looks like an amazing set! Definitely one of the first ones I will purchase. Still not diggin' the printed chestplate or stickers. And I hope they phase out the HF armor for more Bionicle-styled armor with the piston look.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Very exciting, but for me, my no.1 question currently is when do the other reviews come online? (Namely the ones for Pohatu, Lewa and Onua). :D

As you can see in our unboxing video, we currently have Tahu, Kopaka, and Onua. I've sent Tahu and Onua to other reviewers, and they should get them today, so you can expect the reviews in a few more days hopefully.

Very exciting, but for me, my no.1 question currently is when do the other reviews come online? (Namely the ones for Pohatu, Lewa and Onua). :D

As you can see in our unboxing video, we currently have Tahu, Kopaka, and Onua. I've sent Tahu and Onua to other reviewers, and they should get them today, so you can expect the reviews in a few more days hopefully.

Are they BZPers?

• Upvote 2

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

I haven't watched the review because I don't want to spoil the surprise of Onua and Kopaka (I've watched TTV's previews of the other), but I really honestly hope that people don't nitpick at these sets. The sets are pretty darn tootin' good and they are so generous to bring back a fan-favorite line, so people criticizing (again, don't know if BZP's review is doing that) are really looking a gift horse right in the gob. 

Edit: Hey, Mask of Light! 

Edited by Wazdakka

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

It was a good review :) It really helped 'getting to know the pieces'.

Thus far I adore BIONICLE G2, but thethreevirtues did a much more critical review than BZPower, which I prefer, although BZPower has only put out 1 vs thethreevirtues' 6, so odds are in BZPowers' to change my mind (about who did a better review), but that's more subjective than anything else, I'm sure that BZPower showing Kopaka being built instantly made their review better than  thethreevirtues' video in some peoples minds (which is entirely okay), so this is all very subjective.

I gotta say though, these sets are offering a really good mix of pieces (as far as this construct... constraction? goes. Different advantages and disadvantages; and currently it certainly feels like it has more potential [= better] although I'll need to look back over them all to work out how many technic pieces they have vs axle holes per larger piece etc.)

• Upvote 1

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Thus far I adore BIONICLE G2, but thethreevirtues did a much more critical review than BZPower, which I prefer, although BZPower has only put out 1 vs thethreevirtues' 6, so odds are in BZPowers' to change my mind (about who did a better review), but that's more subjective than anything else, I'm sure that BZPower showing Kopaka being built instantly made their review better than  thethreevirtues' video in some peoples minds (which is entirely okay), so this is all very subjective.

I gotta say though, these sets are offering a really good mix of pieces (as far as this construct... constraction? goes. Different advantages and disadvantages; and currently it certainly feels like it has more potential [= better] although I'll need to look back over them all to work out how many technic pieces they have vs axle holes per larger piece etc.)

The Three Virtues, in my opinion, was in no place to offer criticism in the first place since they didn't have the actual sets, but just reproductions based on pictures. This especially afflicted their early review of Lewa, since they BUILT THE SET WRONG and then criticized it about flaws the actual set didn't have. Yes, they added a correction to the description after their error was pointed out, but that's like a band-aid over a gushing wound. They really need to learn to apply more professionalism to their reporting considering the size of their audience and the transient nature of YouTube viewers (who aren't necessarily going to revisit a review or video they've already watched for updates).

BZP's review didn't offer much criticism, but it presented the set exceptionally well, to the point where people can easily draw their own conclusions. Black Six shouldn't have to try and nitpick fine details just to try to add a semblance of "balance" to the narrative. He clearly liked the set and the review (which, like all reviews, is based on his subjective assessments) reflects that.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Based on the photos I'd seen previously I hadn't been impressed with Kopaka, but this review has done a great job of showing off his good points. I really like the bulky knight-like armor; it's a great design that sets him apart from the other Toa. I'm still not totally keen on his color-scheme though. :pakari:

• Upvote 1
[ blog ] onuanutbannermnolgstyle.jpg  [ Flickr ]

The Three Virtues, in my opinion, was in no place to offer criticism in the first place since they didn't have the actual sets, but just reproductions based on pictures. 

Maybe so; but I thought it was pretty clear that they didn't have the actual sets, which leads into:

early review of Lewa, since they BUILT THE SET WRONG and then criticized it about flaws the actual set didn't have. 

They really need to learn to apply more professionalism to their reporting considering the size of their audience and the transient nature of YouTube viewers (who aren't necessarily going to revisit a review or video they've already watched for updates).

I thought that was mostly YouTube not picking up on the differences between there 'set' & the pictures; although I suppose that isn't really meaningful considering YouTube commentators are still people who (may) buy sets influence others etc. It was an absurdly amusing that they managed to make such a long review without realising they made the set wrong, so yes they definitely need to learn to be more professional - although on the other hand the intro segment(s) should have been enough to make people question the content of the video...

Yes, they added a correction to the description after their error was pointed out, but that's like a band-aid over a gushing wound. 

Definitely, although I'm surprised more people didn't pick up on it, as it is the YouTube comments have already cycled those complaints away, so thankfully the issue seems to have worked itself out (not thanks to thethreevirtues)

BZP's review didn't offer much criticism, but it presented the set exceptionally well, to the point where people can easily draw their own conclusions. 

Yes, I only just noticed how Kopakas' Shield had the hand bent strangely at the end, it seemed like they glossed over some things that I would have liked to see how they work after it was built - not necessarily bad things, but just to see moevement & arrangement that bit better...

BZPowers' review was good, I simply found ignoring thethreevirtues intro + criticism about things that I could see they did wrong, was more useful to me for how the set would work for posable-ity, & simply because it has looked at all 6 Toa (too varying degrees), I have a better idea of how to use those pieces with each other, however once BZPower has covered other Toa thethreevirtues' reviews will instantly lose that providing BZPower shows the set pieces &(/or) construction as that is much much more informative. But thethreevirtues gave me a better feel for a few things - which I didn't understand why BZPower didn't show, I suppose I'm more forgiving of what I perceive to be an amateur review missing things as opposed to BZPower which was great & had this strange gap; which isn't really fair.

Can't wait for the next review, I hope Onuas' next as I'n more curious about a few things with his set, although Tahus' is gonna be great.

• Upvote 2

As much as I'm hyped about this set, I gotta say It's such a bummer to see that the new Kanohi isn't compatible with the old sets. Kanohis are like the SOUL of bionicle (yes you May argue that gen2 is somewhat a new line) but come on! New Kanohi looks killer, but a non-compatible mask and head piece (glares at 2009 sets)sets is a true downer. Also, THAT painted chestpiece. Do you recall any Bionicle sets being painted with 2D patterns? With stickers? Nope.

but I gotta say the new Kopaka (aside from being hunched, Kopaka always seemed to be the upright lean guy to me) looks awesome and I shouldn't be complaining too much since I'm gonna buy it anyways.

But 20+ dollars????oh well.

That set looks amazing, but anything retailing $20 in the US is going to be quite expensive in Canada :(

I know :( But try and focus on all the extra pieces, Cost Per piece compared to 2001 it is very very close, but what I tell myself is that the pieces in these larger packs will be more useful as opposed to some of the bulkier pieces we got earlier which had some rather limited uses...

Try and think of it like buying 3 Toa at once... (once you've bough 2 G2 Toa you'll have more MOCing power than what you would have having bough 6 Toa in '01)

Oh & the Protectors are pretty cool, so maybe go for a  'large; Toa then next time a Protector? Help spread the $ around a bit? & the Protector is going to be more useful than a Matoran or a Turaga for MOCs I think...

Overall, I'm fairly impressed with the design. They clearly made an effort to incorporate of the features of the old sets. I like how they brought back the gear action function, but without sacrificing the advancements made in poseability. The ability to knock off the masks is a nice nod to the original sets. I'm not sure how much I like the armor though...I think it looks a bit too bulky, and silver may have been more appropriate than gold. I really don't like the idea of stickers or printed designs on Bionicle pieces; it's looks super tacky. That said, I'm really forward to buying Kopaka and putting him together. At 99 pieces, I think $20 is pretty reasonable for these larger Toa. I am, however, disappointed by the cheapo packaging they decided to use. Please Lego, bring back the canisters, even if it adds a couple bucks to the price!

• Upvote 1

The Reference Desk I New Member Q&A I Bionicle Word Scramble

movielabel.jpg

qs76-1016292421.gifI scored 87%...

qs552.jpg...94% on this one...

qs552.jpg...90% on this one...

qs552.jpg...and 83% on this one.

Loving the new boxes. Very nice, almost canister-like in appearance. The artwork on the packaging is glorious.

Excellent review of Kopaka. Very informative (especially the video review). The build looks really fun and I love Kopaka's design! It really works and the play functions being present once again makes me so happy. As with everyone else, I agree that the stickers are kind of disappointing. 

Thanks again for the early review. So excited for the Masters! :)

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Whoa, this review goes for a while, I was only expecting 10 minutes.

Since it's the first review of one of the 2015 sets, I wanted to make sure I covered things in as much detail as possible. I'm sure future reviews will be shorter since things like the new box and many of the new pieces have now been covered.

It's okay, I enjoy the lengthy reviews. You did a great job on this one and I can't wait for the other/s to review the new Tahu and Onua sets.

• Upvote 1

BZP's review didn't offer much criticism, but it presented the set exceptionally well, to the point where people can easily draw their own conclusions.

Yes, I only just noticed how Kopakas' Shield had the hand bent strangely at the end, it seemed like they glossed over some things that I would have liked to see how they work after it was built - not necessarily bad things, but just to see moevement & arrangement that bit better...

BZPowers' review was good, I simply found ignoring thethreevirtues intro + criticism about things that I could see they did wrong, was more useful to me for how the set would work for posable-ity, & simply because it has looked at all 6 Toa (too varying degrees), I have a better idea of how to use those pieces with each other, however once BZPower has covered other Toa thethreevirtues' reviews will instantly lose that providing BZPower shows the set pieces &(/or) construction as that is much much more informative. But thethreevirtues gave me a better feel for a few things - which I didn't understand why BZPower didn't show, I suppose I'm more forgiving of what I perceive to be an amateur review missing things as opposed to BZPower which was great & had this strange gap; which isn't really fair.

Can't wait for the next review, I hope Onuas' next as I'n more curious about a few things with his set, although Tahus' is gonna be great.

What didn't we show? I spent nearly a half hour looking at the set and thought I covered pretty much everything. If you can be more specific we can work to correct it in the future.

Thanks!

The Three Virtues, in my opinion, was in no place to offer criticism in the first place since they didn't have the actual sets, but just reproductions based on pictures. This especially afflicted their early review of Lewa, since they BUILT THE SET WRONG and then criticized it about flaws the actual set didn't have. Yes, they added a correction to the description after their error was pointed out, but that's like a band-aid over a gushing wound. They really need to learn to apply more professionalism to their reporting considering the size of their audience and the transient nature of YouTube viewers (who aren't necessarily going to revisit a review or video they've already watched for updates).

BZP's review didn't offer much criticism, but it presented the set exceptionally well, to the point where people can easily draw their own conclusions. Black Six shouldn't have to try and nitpick fine details just to try to add a semblance of "balance" to the narrative. He clearly liked the set and the review (which, like all reviews, is based on his subjective assessments) reflects that.

Not just pictures. They saw the sets in person and had help from the LEGO staff at comic con with some of them.

Not just pictures. They saw the sets in person and had help from the LEGO staff at comic con with some of them.

I know that. I was there. The point was, those still weren't the sets. They were not built from the instructions and that allowed for errors, regardless of what help they had (not all of the Lego staff there were the designers of the sets themselves, after all, and even the designers could make mistakes). As previews of the sets, they were great! They gave a good look at what the sets MIGHT be like. But they weren't REviews, and as such they should have tempered both their enthusiasm and their criticism accordingly.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Also, THAT painted chestpiece. Do you recall any Bionicle sets being painted with 2D patterns? With stickers? Nope.

Actually, yes. The Bohrok-Kal all had printed faceplates, disks have always had printing, lots of the BIONICLE playsets had printing and stickers, and Tuma from 2009 had stickers. Plus, the infected masks in 2001 were hand-painted. That's not even getting into the other sorts of surface patterns from BIONICLE sets like the many, many parts molded in two-colored blends.

The printed and stickered details of these sets are beautiful, IMO, adding both mechanical detail in the form of metallic vents and tribal detail in the form of decorative "war paint".

• Upvote 5

I know that. I was there. The point was, those still weren't the sets. They were not built from the instructions and that allowed for errors, regardless of what help they had (not all of the Lego staff there were the designers of the sets themselves, after all, and even the designers could make mistakes). As previews of the sets, they were great! They gave a good look at what the sets MIGHT be like. But they weren't REviews, and as such they should have tempered both their enthusiasm and their criticism accordingly.

They do say that they aren't exact at the very beginning but they are very close. (closest we had till this review).

• Upvote 1

Hey black six I have a question about the packaging, is it possible to store the sets in the packaging like you could with the old ones?

For Kopaka at least, he's too thick to fit back in the box once he's built. Additionally, since the packaging material is rather flimsy, I don't think it would do much to protect the set. You're better off cutting the tape on the top and bottom and flattening the packaging if you want to keep it.
  • Upvote 2

Hey black six I have a question about the packaging, is it possible to store the sets in the packaging like you could with the old ones?

For Kopaka at least, he's too thick to fit back in the box once he's built. Additionally, since the packaging material is rather flimsy, I don't think it would do much to protect the set. You're better off cutting the tape on the top and bottom and flattening the packaging if you want to keep it.

Thanks for that, I look forward to your next reviews.

• Upvote 1

It's time to move on.

I, for one, found the review to be excellent. The functions were show, how the functions worked was also shown, everything on the box, everything of interest in the instructions (app confirmed!), and all interesting new pieces. Only thing I found iffy was his voice being just a little bit too monotone for my tastes, and i guess the music choice for the speed build was eh, but I'm just being nitpicky at this point. Everything that needed to be shown was shown and more, I am definitely going to pick Kopaka up. Great job!

In the time before time, the Great Spirit descended from the heavens, carrying with him the ones called the Matoran, to this island paradise. We were separate and without purpose, so the great spirit blessed us with the Three Virtues: Unity, Duty and Destiny. We embraced these gifts and in gratitude named our home Mata Nui, after the great spirit himself.

And thus my most important question has been answered. :lol: Definitely going to be a huge space saver there.

I have not watched the video review yet (oddly enough I still prefer text reviews for LEGO, despite being an avid video review watcher for a plethora of other items), but what I have read leaves me feeling hopeful. This set looks good. It looks fun. It evokes nostalgia in the right places. And I can't wait to own one.

~|ET|~

• Upvote 1

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

The set looks great. Love the re-added gear functions to the set. Definitely seems worth the $20 price tag. Can't wait to see the review of my boy Tahu.

• Upvote 1

"Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all." Tahu

"Deceit and self-interest will never be virtues the Matoran will honor!"-Vakama

"Fear is the state of mind in which we will cause our own failures."-Me

" You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian."- Harvey Dent

I'm really not a fan of the new visual design with the smooth pieces and the stickers and stuff, and I think it looks to bulky, but I couldn't help my feelings of nostalgia as I read that review.

I love the color scheme, and seeing the artwork on the front and back of the box was awesome! I wish there'd been pictures of the set mid-construction, or of the manual and it's artwork!

Kopaka was my first toa ever, and he'll definitely be my first one this time around.  The new Kopaka looks awesome but still reminds me of the Kopaka I grew up with.  He's just bigger and buffer than before, which is fine by me!  The gold armor made me feel kind of odd when I first saw pictures of him (I mean it looks cool on Tahu, but shouldn't Kopaka get a colder color like silver or something?), but the pictures in this review have kind of put that concern to rest.  

I'm not a huge fan of the stickers though, nor the print on the chest armor; the blue on gold looks kind of strange.  I'd rather have stickers on the chest, since I could just neglect to put them on.  

Thank you Andrew and LEGO group for making this review (before 2015 no less)!

Kopaka looks amazing there! :happydance:  B-)  Looking at him brings all the lovely nostalgia back to my mind immediately - the mask (hooray for the gold mask!), his twin blades that double as his ski, and even his pose in the front cover of the package! His improved gear axle functions are a MASSIVE bonus!

Yet at the same time, his new appearance is adequately refreshing. The gold color sits quite nicely within his color scheme IMO, and he sure visited the gym every day since 2009  :P I also find it a smart move to have his blades act as his shield for a change.

Conclusion: an amazing set overall, and Bionicle has returned in an awesome manner. I couldn't have ask for more  :happydance:

Edited by Tahtorak ate my house!

Your left brain contains nothing right, while your right brain contains nothing left.

• 3 weeks later...

I must say. Kopaka looks awesome! It feels classic that he keeps his habit of holding a melds combat weapon on his right hand while holding a shield on the left, like his 2001 self. Plus, he uses skis, like his 2002 Nuva version. His mask looks mostly like his 2001 mask, just a little bulkier. He also looks great with the gold armor.:)

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)