Things hidden in MNOLG's files

ARROW404

To my memory, I don't recall ever seeing any of the hidden, removed, conceptual, or just not very noticeable things in the On Line Games brought to the surface. Out of curiosity, I perused the files over the last two days and found a handful of interesting things (including three unused music tracks, an unused animation for calling and riding a Kahu, and a couple of unfinished screens that suggest rejected plot ideas.)

For example: 

tumblr_nejnqzhzuN1rmgsclo1_500.png

There's this picture. Mousing over the Akaku-wearer makes the mirrorred word 'Commander' show up over his head, and the Rau-wearer shows 'Soldier 2' over his head, written normally.

There's also:

tumblr_nejnoe8QPB1rmgsclo1_500.png

and

XeMB3jI.png

Are these new? I would think I'd have stumbled on them before if they were old news. 

As a side note, is there a way to put make an mp4 viewable on BZP? I'd like to share the clip of the Kahu.

• Upvote 5

BZPRPG Profiles
If I go AWOL for a while, feel free to contact me via Discord

As a side note, is there a way to put make an mp4 viewable on BZP? I'd like to share the clip of the Kahu.

BZPower doesn't support .mp4s to my knowledge. I think .mp4 is a video file, so in that case you can upload it to YouTube (to play it) or a file sharing site (so we can download it).

As a matter of fact there's quite a bit of stuff left over in MNOG, MNOG2, and VNOG. I've been documenting it over the past few months, and have typed up my findings on MNOG 1 and 2 Here and here. Still documenting stuff in VNOG currently, so I'll get to work on that article as soon as I polish my notes.

• Upvote 4

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

To my memory, I don't recall ever seeing any of the hidden, removed, conceptual, or just not very noticeable things in the On Line Games brought to the surface. Out of curiosity, I perused the files over the last two days and found a handful of interesting things (including three unused music tracks, an unused animation for calling and riding a Kahu, and a couple of unfinished screens that suggest rejected plot ideas.)

They have been brought up on here, quite a few times. They're pretty much all leftovers of unused ideas.

You could just share the Flash file itself. :P

Or there's

The SWF is online too, but I can't find it at the moment.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

As a matter of fact there's quite a bit of stuff left over in MNOG, MNOG2, and VNOG. I've been documenting it over the past few months, and have typed up my findings on MNOG 1 and 2 Here and here. Still documenting stuff in VNOG currently, so I'll get to work on that article as soon as I polish my notes.

You missed a few rooms in MNOG, such as the unusual Macku in Po-Wahi rooms, which are identical to the regular rooms leading up to the Po-Wahi dock, but showing Macku there. Actually... hang on, it seems like those are the regular rooms, yet when you play the game Macku is nowhere to be found... strange... This probably explains the glitch where after agreeing to help Macku at the start of the game, a dock magically appears next to the boat in the "Sail to Ga-Koro?" dialogue room.

EDIT: As pointed out below, I was wrong. That's actually normal. :P

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

That black Pakari guy... Did he dismembered Onewa or something ?

That has the potential to be a horror story.

"It lurks in the night. It hungers for your soul. This summer, no-one is safe from...the Biodermis Smith!"

That is a Biodermis (aka Protodermis) smithy. He would have helped you build Rahi from parts you collected around the island. The Onewa torso is in the mockup to represent a random Rahi bit that he is working on.

• Upvote 1

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

You missed a few rooms in MNOG, such as the unusual Macku in Po-Wahi rooms, which are identical to the regular rooms leading up to the Po-Wahi dock, but showing Macku there. Actually... hang on, it seems like those are the regular rooms, yet when you play the game Macku is nowhere to be found... strange... This probably explains the glitch where after agreeing to help Macku at the start of the game, a dock magically appears next to the boat in the "Sail to Ga-Koro?" dialogue room.

If you haven't agreed to save ga-koro, maku appears both on ta-wahi and po-wahi docks, as you need to agree in order to use the boat in order to get to ga-koro, though you can get to po-wahi through the onu-wahi tunnels from ta-koro before agreeing to maku's request.

If you haven't agreed to save ga-koro, maku appears both on ta-wahi and po-wahi docks, as you need to agree in order to use the boat in order to get to ga-koro, though you can get to po-wahi through the onu-wahi tunnels from ta-koro before agreeing to maku's request.

Ahhhhhhhhhh. I forgot you could go all the way around to Po-Koro. Also, not sure if you know this or not, but if you decide not to tell Onewa about your findings concerning the Koli balls, and then try to enter the Nui-Jaga nest, you will see a special non-minigame room where the Nui-Jaga is just sitting there moving his legs frantically and staring at you. Storyline-wise, this is because Onewa hasn't called Pohatu, so logically he wouldn't come down there if he didn't know about it. Thanks for pointing that out to me. I never thought about going to Ga-Koro for the first time by taking the long way around Mata Nui.

That black Pakari guy... Did he dismembered Onewa or something ?

That has the potential to be a horror story.

"It lurks in the night. It hungers for your soul. This summer, no-one is safe from...the Biodermis Smith!"

That is a Biodermis (aka Protodermis) smithy. He would have helped you build Rahi from parts you collected around the island. The Onewa torso is in the mockup to represent a random Rahi bit that he is working on.

Wait... WHAT?!? They should've kept that in the game. :P (It would've been a nice side-quest, even if it is completely unrelated to the story.) Also, I wonder what the plot would have been for the Search for Onua quest/minigame/whatever-it-was-supposed-to-be.

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Wait... WHAT?!? They should've kept that in the game. :P (It would've been a nice side-quest, even if it is completely unrelated to the story.) Also, I wonder what the plot would have been for the Search for Onua quest/minigame/whatever-it-was-supposed-to-be.

The Rahi building feature was cut in the interest of timeliness. Same with the quest for Onua - it would've been a minigame, traveling through tunnels atop Ussal and using disks to fight off Kofo-Jaga, ending with a cutscene where the Tohunga arrive in a cavern to see Onua bash up a ton of Kofo-Jaga and seal their nest with a giant rock. It grew out of a survival-type game concept, where you were atop a tower and had to shoot down rat rahi (Kuma-Nui, presumably) as they climbed up toward you. When the game was scrapped, it seems that the idea was retooled into the Kahu game.

• Upvote 2

The Rahi building feature was cut in the interest of timeliness. Same with the quest for Onua - it would've been a minigame, traveling through tunnels atop Ussal and using disks to fight off Kofo-Jaga, ending with a cutscene where the Tohunga arrive in a cavern to see Onua bash up a ton of Kofo-Jaga and seal their nest with a giant rock. It grew out of a survival-type game concept, where you were atop a tower and had to shoot down rat rahi (Kuma-Nui, presumably) as they climbed up toward you. When the game was scrapped, it seems that the idea was retooled into the Kahu game.

Ahhh. If only they had had more time to work on the game... maybe the folks at Mata Nui Online Game: Collector's Edition or MNOLG: The Bohrok Swarms could add that in somewhere? ;)  :P

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Three unused music tracks? I'm only aware of one. Where are these unused music cues located?

One plays as Takua enters Mangaia, another was cut from the conversation with the Toa before they enter Mangaia, and the last plays when Taipu finishes the tunnel to Le-Wahi. I could be mistaken about the last one, though.

You could just share the Flash file itself. :P

Or there's

The SWF is online too, but I can't find it at the moment.

Noooo I've been beaten to the punch!

BZPRPG Profiles

Three unused music tracks? I'm only aware of one. Where are these unused music cues located?

One plays as Takua enters Mangaia, another was cut from the conversation with the Toa before they enter Mangaia, and the last plays when Taipu finishes the tunnel to Le-Wahi. I could be mistaken about the last one, though.

I don't think the one with Takua was unused, rather I think it played when that animation was the last chapter released so far.

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I don't think the one with Takua was unused, rather I think it played when that animation was the last chapter released so far.

The Takua one is unused. See it re-implemented here. EDIT: Whoa wait misread your post there, Gata. Are you saying you recall a time when the music did play? The cutscene is from the last chapter of the game, so while the music may have been edited out later it wouldn't have been with the rollout of a new chapter.

As for the other tracks, the one at the Kini Nui does play, if you wait long enough. The standard time it takes to read through the dialogue usually doesn't allow for it to initiate or become noticeable. The Taipu one plays too, it's just quiet and hard to notice.

As 2Tie said, every known thing unused in the game files is documented here in one convenient place.

Edited by Pereki

The Takua one is unused. See it re-implemented here. EDIT: Whoa wait misread your post there, Gata. Are you saying you recall a time when the music did play? The cutscene is from the last chapter of the game, so while the music may have been edited out later it wouldn't have been with the rollout of a new chapter.

As for the other tracks, the one at the Kini Nui does play, if you wait long enough. The standard time it takes to read through the dialogue usually doesn't allow for it to initiate or become noticeable. The Taipu one plays too, it's just quiet and hard to notice.

As 2Tie said, every known thing unused in the game files is documented here in one convenient place.

I don't recall it because I never played so far when the game was initially released. Are you sure there wasn't a chapter that ended right at that cutscene before the battle against Makuta was added to the game? Or were both released at the same time? Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I don't recall it because I never played so far when the game was initially released. Are you sure there wasn't a chapter that ended right at that cutscene before the battle against Makuta was added to the game? Or were both released at the same time?

Ah, okay. Check the December 15 news post here. Takua was revealed in the final update.

I dunno. It would've left the player trapped in the Mangaia with nothing to do in the period between updates. I guess it is possible. :shrugs:

The final chapter that was released in September 2001 starts with the rest of the matoran coming to your aid at Kini-Nui, and goes all the way up to the talk on the beach and THE END followed by the Bohrok clip.

The naming of the swf makes it sound like an in-progress thing, what with the "V4-sounded" and the music not placed right. As for when chapters were supposed to end, we can't say for sure what Templar's intentions were until they actually start updating their tumblr again >_>

as far as the other two songs, what are the names of the files? if by the Taipu digging music you mean music_digsite, that one's used in my copy of the game and in the copy on Templar's website...

EDIT: also, i don't think anyone's pointed this out yet, but the last image in the OP is for when you talk to Onepu. the map is XI.2A, which has a corresponding conversation file. If you just opened up the .swf by itself, the conversation with him isn't loaded, and you just get that still image.

Edited by 2Tie

as far as the other two songs, what are the names of the files? if by the Taipu digging music you mean music_digsite, that one's used in my copy of the game and in the copy on Templar's website...

I didn't find sound files for them, I recorded the sounds on Audacity. Here's the song http://vocaroo.com/i/s1wOzspWIqjB

Edited by The Fifth Spoilers

BZPRPG Profiles

If you don't mind me asking, what did you record them from, then?

Yeah, like those guys. Or like these guys. The other hurdle is that there's little to no indication what a Biodermis smith is, or what a search for Onua would entail, making it doubly difficult to create.

The player meets all six Toa before going to Kini-Nui. It's likely that the search for Onua was a way for the player to encounter him - due to time constraints, probably, Onua was shoved in with Lewa, creating the famous infected Lewa cutscene.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939

Yeah, like those guys. Or like these guys. The other hurdle is that there's little to no indication what a Biodermis smith is, or what a search for Onua would entail, making it doubly difficult to create.

Templar has more or less given us the full lowdown on the canned Onu-Koro content, we have a good idea of what it would have been like.

Edited by Pereki