Okoto Online Game

Would you like to see a point and click Okotoverse game similar to MNOG?

If so, how would you want it to be similar/different?

Would you like to have the art similar to the NYCC video or another approach?

Personally I'd like to see the main character be a customizable one, with a view similar to that of MNOG II.

• Upvote 5

kalija.png

all this is temporary.

Follow me on Twitter! @sean52711

I'll follow back.

I'd like something like MNOG I being in first person, but in the style of the 2015 mini-clips. You could choose the element of your protector and customize them, then you spawn in your home village and get to go around the island doing tasks, and sometimes running into the Toa and seeing them do cool stuff in cutscenes much like MNOG, only in the cutscenes you get to see your character interacting with the Toa in 3rd person. 

• Upvote 3

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

I'd like something like MNOG I being in first person, but in the style of the 2015 mini-clips. You could choose the element of your protector and customize them, then you spawn in your home village and get to go around the island doing tasks, and sometimes running into the Toa and seeing them do cool stuff in cutscenes much like MNOG, only in the cutscenes you get to see your character interacting with the Toa in 3rd person. 

This, basically. 

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I have a feeling the resounding BZP response to this would be 'yes.' As for myself, I found the Mata Nui Online Game to be a great way to introduce new fans to the characters and mythology of BIONICLE in a really exciting game that wasn't at all frustrating. It's what hooked me on BIONICLE, and I bet I'm not the only one. So, yes, I would love to see a point and click Okoto Online Game. If we do it would probably be in a style that's along the lines of the new animation, and I'd be completely okay with that.

• Upvote 1
BZPRPG

I'd pay for this.

Heck, if Lego wanted to make some money from it I'd be game. They could even set up for consoles, maybe with a slightly more complex campaign with difficulty selection.

Diablo has a PVP area, and that's be pretty cool to see.

If they added a few perks with the same style as MNOG, it'd be killer.

Don't get me wrong, MNOG had great depth for what it was, but it'd just increase the experience in a positive way with a little more depth.

kalija.png

all this is temporary.

Follow me on Twitter! @sean52711

I'll follow back.

I loved the MNOLG, just because it introduced  the characters in a way I hadn't seen before or since. You got a look into the daily life of the Matoran and became acquainted with each of them as you traveled around the island. I think all of us can say we formed more bonds with the '01 Matoran than any Matoran since just because of that game.

That being said, I'm having a hard time picturing this year in that same styling. The art style is so different, more suited to videos than gaming, and the Protectors all just seem so...impersonal, I guess. Maybe we just haven't gotten into their story yet, but I just haven't heard anything about them that makes them unique, and the masks don't help.

How about VNOG feel? What does everyone think of that?

VNOLG was great and I loved the art style, but it still didn't have that same feeling as MNOLG. You were a Toa come to save the Matoran, not a Matoran just seeing the island and meeting new characters. Plus, the missions were awful. "Oh, you just got back from the other side of the island? Well, go get that one thing I could have told you about while you were over there, and then come back, and maybe I'll think of some other reason to send you all the way over there again!"

Edited by Click
  • Upvote 7

I would love to see a point-and-click adventure game like MNOG 2, but with a bigger story-telling aspect like the first one. What I also really liked about MNOG was that you got to explore the island in a big way, and I would love to be able to experience Okoto that way too. :pakari:

Edited by OnuaNut
[ blog ] onuanutbannermnolgstyle.jpg  [ Flickr ]

I loved the MNOLG, just because it introduced  the characters in a way I hadn't seen before or since. You got a look into the daily life of the Matoran and became acquainted with each of them as you traveled around the island. I think all of us can say we formed more bonds with the '01 Matoran than any Matoran since just because of that game.

That being said, I'm having a hard time picturing this year in that same styling. The art style is so different, more suited to videos than gaming, and the Protectors all just seem so...impersonal, I guess. Maybe we just haven't gotten into their story yet, but I just haven't heard anything about them that makes them unique, and the masks don't help.

How about VNOG feel? What does everyone think of that?

VNOLG was great and I loved the art style, but it still didn't have that same feeling as MNOLG. You were a Toa come to save the Matoran, not a Matoran just seeing the island and meeting new characters. Plus, the missions were awful. "Oh, you just got back from the other side of the island? Well, go get that one thing I could have told you about while you were over there, and then come back, and maybe I'll think of some other reason to send you all the way over there again!"

And let's not forget MNOG2's wonderfully horrible moments where you were just clicking and waiting for Hahli to get to the other side of the scene, just so another pointless road will appear that you have to click the other end of, as you get bored to death watching Hahli walk, wishing she could access Kanohi  powers and wear a Kakama... ;)  :P

• Upvote 6

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

The only problem with the customizing is that all the Protectors have the same body type and mask, so you'd just essentially be changing the color of your character.

Yeah, I definitely wasn't a fan of the VNOG. It didn't feel like you were really exploring or learning anything about the island except that everything and anything will kill you any chance it gets.

MNOGII was pretty cool except for those god awful walking times between places and those impossible kholii challenges. I'd be fine with seeing something like that, as long it's sped up a lot, and made actually possible. (I'm sure the kholii challenges were possible for some strange super humans out there. I congradulate you. :P )

• Upvote 4

The only problem with the customizing is that all the Protectors have the same body type and mask, so you'd just essentially be changing the color of your character.

Actually; they could do something like having you start out not wearing the Mask we see on the Packs, & have this game/storyline be sort of a bit of a optional-prequel to flesh out the world a bit, & have the Protectors get the Masks we see them with currently at the end as a symbol of their status (guardians?) or efforts etc. This would also give a bit (more of) a precedent* for more collectible Masks if LEGO decides to go that route again.

But I can't really see a great way they could get away with such a game being played form the perspective of one of the (6) Protectors & having the option to be a different colour beyond simple gameplay & story segregation (which I think is especially frustrating given the medium of BIONICLE), but hey; anyone got any other ideas of how they could do (something like) this? :)

*It is of my firm belief that a series needs to have reasons for doing things, not jut it's a reboot and the original did X.

PS: Maybe a game where you play as Takua, can explore the Island, towards the 'end' start to notice the appearance of [_], manage to notify the village(s) by Gukko or Ussal-crab, but you yourself are trapped in the Ruins - not to upset, think your safe, not a dark ending, just going to take a bit of time before get out etc. Come wave 2 (& books/etc) he's discovered & set etc. :P

Edited by Iblis616

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

I think that a OOG would be awesome, 1st person, interactive, packed with a lot of story details surrounding the island. I do think there should be a set character like Takua was in MNOG as I think the story would benefit most this way, plus we could get a new character (like Takua, Hero Agori, Hahli) that's actually relevant and has somewhat a large role in the story. :)

• Upvote 1

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Yeah, I definitely wasn't a fan of the VNOG. It didn't feel like you were really exploring or learning anything about the island except that everything and anything will kill you any chance it gets.

MNOGII was pretty cool except for those god awful walking times between places and those impossible kholii challenges. I'd be fine with seeing something like that, as long it's sped up a lot, and made actually possible. (I'm sure the kholii challenges were possible for some strange super humans out there. I congradulate you. :P )

If you practice your speed, stamina, etc., the Kolhii matches aren't that hard. Also, after scoring a point you can take advantage of a glitch where the other team keeps trying to run through you while your goalkeeper can't decide who to throw the ball to. You can then just sit back and watch as you slowly win the game with only one point. :P But yeah, the walking times are horrible. Especially when you're walking right into another empty scene where you just have to walk through. MNOG was so much more fun with its instant moving between scenes/rooms. :P

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

The original MNOLG did a lot to make people fall in love with Bionicle. It brought the story and world (as it was in 2001) alive in a way that I don't think any later media ever quite managed. A bright and wild setting, a diverse cast of heroes, mentors and eccentrics, a sense of mystery and discovery, a dark and thrilling climax and finally a moving epilogue. The only real flaw I can think of is that it wasn't larger and longer, and that it didn't continue further into the storyline.

The second one was proof that simply being online and featuring Matoran on Mata Nui weren't what it took to make the first a hit. Almost every aspect was disappointing. The overhead view robbed a lot of the visual appeal, having to spend so much time doing chores was extremely boring, trekking across the island took ages, the Kohlii matches were ridiculously hard, and there was almost no action or story content at all. That's without going into the plague of glitches that came with it. It's almost as though the makers took everything that worked about the first one and decided to make it not work.

So I'd definitely like to see another online game, but it'd need to get some particular stuff right in order to be truly great.

• Upvote 1

And let's not forget MNOG2's wonderfully horrible moments where you were just clicking and waiting for Hahli to get to the other side of the scene, just so another pointless road will appear that you have to click the other end of, as you get bored to death watching Hahli walk, wishing she could access Kanohi  powers and wear a Kakama... ;)  :P

Lets not forget the ridiculous ammount of harvesting of items like flax and harakeke needed to make a kohlii stick :madgo:, i never progressed through the first area and stopped trying to complete the game.

Edited by ---Kopaka Nuva---

qs3135.jpg

I couldn't ask for more. MNOG is one of the best things BIONICLE has ever got over its entire lifespan and I'm a huge huge fan of it. I still consider it a masterpiece and I pray computers in several decades from now will still be able to run it. :P

MNOG II lacked some of the charm the first game had but still I found it a worthy successor. Yes, the chores were a bit boring and so was seeing Hahli walk and walk, but I did not find the Kolhii games too hard (I did when I first played it but not the last time I did - you just need to train your skills, in-game that is) and I found it visually equally appealing mostly. The Koro did not seem as alive as in the first game and Po-Koro and Ta-Koro were particularly bland but some of the chambers where you found the crystals made up for it. All the glitches were highly unfortunate, though, and the lack of story in the game was rather disappointing as well, but the crystal collecting plot somewhat compensated it.

I have a bit of a soft spot for VNOG as well but in no way did it ever live up to the MNOGs. It was quite nice on its own, though. However, nobody has ever explained to us why the heck it got delayed several times to be released about nine months after it was announced. I'm pretty sure it was originally supposed to be released in chapters, akin to MNOG, but for some reason they opted for delaying it and releasing all at once. It was originally announced for the end of 2005, then for Spring 2006 and was finally released in fall. 2006 was one of the worst years for BIONICLE.com, though. Remember how in 2005, they built up to a redesign in 2006 (with a white background instead of black), only to be reverted to the old design after a few days? I never understood what the heck that was about.

Edited by Gatanui
  • Upvote 4

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

You could recolor each armor shell and change the placement of them.

Lets not forget the ridiculous ammount of harvesting of items like flax and harakeke needed to make a kohlii stick :madgo:, i never progressed through the first area and stopped trying to complete the game.

The Kolhii games.

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

I want a OOG very badly. I feel like they could do something like MNOG but in a grander scale. Character customization for your protector, better fight scenes and mini-games, what if they even make it a MMO like runescape or Maplestory where you can see and talk to other players in the game? Trade materials for widgets, duel people in Kohli or something, fight bosses together and quest. First person style would be cool, but they could make it where you can switch styles like in Skyrim. Now that would be amazing and I'd pay for it, I like the new animation style and they can use if if they want, or mix it with the old sort of.

Something like the 3D MNOG project graphics would be really cool also.

Some things that really made MNOG stand out for me (more than MNOG2, at least) was the first person perspective combined with the sense of mystery with the then-new island. You were exploring, discovering, there was a sense of mystery most of the time, and you felt like you were really there, exploring. Having a third-person character that you have to wait for them to walk around is rather tedious, and kind of pulled me out of it. Character customization is nice, but letting ME be the main character is better IMO.

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

^ I would have supported something similar to that for G1 Bionicle post-2005, but this version? No.

I'd go with a MNOLG-type game. First-person perspective, not too frustrating, characters that you can talk to (no voicework please), introducing some prominent and not-so prominent matoran-equivalent characters. Try to have a sense of mystery but also a sense of wonder. freshness. Introduce us to major landmarks, and general lore of Okoto. Show us what everyday life is like. Give us a good atmosphere and introduction. MNOLG introduced us to Mata Nui, a potential OOG could introduce us to Okoto, of which we currently know little about.

MNOG II and VNOG IMO are what not to do, MNOG II forgot what made MNOG special. It sort of lacked the atmosphere of MNOG and the third-person perspective really took away from the experience. One of the reasons MNOG was so good was because of its first person perspective, it wasn't Hahli looking at a direction we weren't looking at, it was us looking at what we were actually looking at.

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

Okoto RPG. Just like Skyrim. 'Nuff said.

That couldn't really work. There's just no way. A game like Skyrim needs YEARS of development time, which would have to be done with the set designs already finalized or chances are the game would look nothing like the models it's based on. There's a reason you don't see licensed games of that caliber, especially for toy-based franchises.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Apparently there's already a game in the works for the App Store, does anyone think this would be a MNOG sort of game? How does everyone feel about a mobile release for an online game?

As long as they also release it for PC as well, I'm good. My mobile device is so outdated that it can't play any games at all, so yeah. 

It could be a MNOG sort of game. It's too early to tell if the app is even a game - they mentioned that they designed the animations for small screens, so the app could just be a portal for that.

Edited by fishers64

TBH I'd prefer something with a bit more gameplay depth like VNOG (more refined hopefully of course :P ), but any game that gives you the ability to explore the entire island and go through the year's story would be fantastic. :)

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

wait what is okoto?

im kinda behind on bionicle news.

Okoto is the Island that BIONICLE "Generation 2" is thus far primarily set on, reboot series features 6 Toa: Tahu, Master of Fire; Lewa, Master of Jungle; Gali, Master of Water; Pohatu, Master of Stone; Onua, Master of Earth; & Kopaka, Master of Ice. In the past their were two brothers known as Ekimu & Makuta, they were mask makers (& their masks were the Mask of Creation & the Mask of Control respectively), but the villagers/people/citizens/? of Okoto generally liked Ekimu's work more; Makuta became jealous and broke the sacred rule that one shall never make a Mask with more than 1 Power; he forged the Mask of Ultimate Power, and when he put it on he lost control & the land was devastated; Ekimu realising what his brother had done knocked off the (evil) Mask & with an explosion they both fell into a deep slumber & the 3 great masks were lost.

Now, much later the Toa have arrived, and the Lord of Skull Spiders is ...& the Protectors, guardian/champion/?s (of their villages)...

You know what:

http://www.lego.com/en-us/bionicle/

The animations are gorgeous!

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.