The Return of Mask Packs?

Zippo

Mask Packs  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Assuming they could be ready in time for the summer 2015 wave,  would you like Lego to release blind bags of different masks again? Keep in mind, the prices would most likely be double or even triple what they originally cost back in 2001-2003 (So approx. 4-8 bucks a pack), although I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't mind paying more if it meant getting different variations of the new kanohi.

why is this happening

Mask packs would be incredible. I personally never got to expierience them, and I would love to grab a few. I am also excited for collectible so but there would be so much if we also have the skull spiders. Even so, tons of new masks would be nice. I wonder how it would be handled in the new story if the masks are elemental based.

EDIT: I guess I should have mentioned it as the toa masks themselves, not the skull spiders. But it would be cool to have tons of skull spiders.

Edited by Wielder-of-Shadow
  • Upvote 1

Corpus Rahkshi: Shock, Mortsia, Draco,  Dahl, and Carraig 

RPG score card:
Bionifight Infinite

08954f34332a96d31850e49325e8f196.jpg

Mask packs would be incredible. I personally never got to expierience them, and I would love to grab a few. I am also excited for collectible so but there would be so much if we also have the skull spiders. Even so, tons of new masks would be nice. I wonder how it would be handled in the new story if the masks are elemental based.

Just imagine: Different skull spiders for different powers. Skull spider of acid, skull spider of paralysis, etc. You would go crazy making an endless army of skull spiders, in colors such as purple, red, even black.

Not to mention, people who just want skull spiders would be able to get multiple ones without having to buy multiple Toa and Protectors. Blind bags are all the rage now, so mask packs would be guaranteed to sell.

As for the story, is it confirmed yet if the masks are just conduits for elemental powers? If not, it'd be very likely we could see the Toa searching for the masks again like they did back in 2001.

why is this happening

Yes, I would like mask packs back. But I don't expect them to come back, for oh so many reasons. It wouldn't make sense business-wise to create so many different types of masks to fit all the new colors... I'm impressed that we're getting all the gold ones as are. It would be cool, but it probably won't be happening. (Besides, I'm sure we would've heard by now if there were any mask packs planned. Story-wise, it sounds like they're just collecting the gold masks anyway, so no real need for each Toa design to be in multiple colors.)

:music:

• Upvote 3

I do not want Collectables Mask Packs back (at least not this wave), partly because they'll be a pain to get hold of (Although I know I would be able to get hold of Mask Packs much easier now! - Back in the day being 6 years old & living in Australia; they were simply not in stock anywhere "I" could buy them.) from a completionist point of view - because I get the feeling that they wouldn't just make it: (Toa Masks [6] + Protector Mask [1]) × ("Primary" Colours (6) + Gold + Silver) + Legendary Mask/s [?] (& more than that are slightly to many to be anything other than irksome to collect, but this would probably not be enough for LEGO to justify making a set of collectables today? I think?)

I could deal with their being 60~ 'different' Masks but do I really want a Blue Mask of Creation or a Translucent Neo Green 'Mask of Jungle? Not really,I know others might but my own interest in completing a collection means I would like it to be somewhat smaller, & I don't like how much it would cost LEGO to make enough Mask variations. (Also if there are hypothetically speaking 30 different coloured masks I expect most Masks to come in each of these colours; but I would expect all 'normal' (Toa & Protector) Masks to have the same amount colours available to them, but I'd have no issue with a Legendary Mask only coming in a few colours [providing none of them are Toa colours - otherwise I'de want it to have acess to all Toa {primary} colours], & as for the Skull Spiders coming in more colours - I feel like this invites each colour [of Skull Spiders anyway] having a different power - but I'd rather there not be more than 6~ powers for them, but hey this is all just me)

​If nothing else; I find having Masks come in Primary + a few other colours to be useful for MOCs but slight variations are just frustrating because they are less likely to match the colour scheme your going with and are actually counter productive. & having the mega rare colour eventually comes down to good luck or throwing a fair bit of money away for those that can't buy online... :P

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Blind bags are what's big right now in toy lines. I get that the mask packs didnt sell well initially since they were just accessories, but a little blind bag with a Skull Spider and Toa Mask for a couple bucks would be epic. I really hope we get something down the road. If Lego can make Zamor ammo packs, they can easily do Gen 2 mask bags.

Edited by Kek
  • Upvote 1
Signature Guidelines: Image size may not exceed 250x100 combined or 468x60 combined.

1. I wouldn't mind seeing Mask Packs return, so I voted yes for this.

2. Great Masks and all new masks.

3. Standard colors, along with the infected and translucent ones if they were a part of the story. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

To be honest, I wouldn't like to see mask packs the way they were released before. Instead I would gladly pay $10 for a pack that had all of the mask molds in one color, including a golden, silver and translucent one. Or one pack with a single mold in all colors.

That randomized model they use is pretty succesfull bussiness.wise, but I picture a lot of kids ending up with a bunch of same color extras in their epic quest for a gold or translucent version.

• Upvote 2

To be honest, I wouldn't like to see mask packs the way they were released before. Instead I would gladly pay $10 for a pack that had all of the mask molds in one color, including a golden, silver and translucent one. Or one pack with a single mold in all colors.

That randomized model they use is pretty succesfull bussiness.wise, but I picture a lot of kids ending up with a bunch of same color extras in their epic quest for a gold or translucent version.

That's the thing, collectibles are essentially designed not to be easy to obtain all of them without duplicates/redundant-items; because molds are expensive & they're limited colour wise by how many they want overall vs molds in the first place etcetera, they rely on many people wanting to complete a set by buying duplicates usually just to break-even on that particular product to make more money unless the vast majority of them are sold in a timely manner they need to have either a greatly inflated price on them or simply sell more by making them more desirable by raising the requirement to buy more...

No matter how you cut it a collection of collectibles that stands alone is designed not to be easy get.

I would like to complete my BIONICLE G2 collection so I would prefer it if they weren't true collectibles - that way I could rely on simply buying each Toa, Protector & LoSS, to complete Wave 1.

Simply I wouldn't mind if there were 9 × 7 + 3 Masks roughly, but it sounds like most people want more like 28 × 9 Masks, as well as Skull Spiders & heads (actually how much use are the G2 heads colour wise? I could understand the Toa Mata heads in different colours as they had other uses, but does anyone have plans to use the 2015 heads for being anything other than a head? -.^? & with a mask on it's really not going to be much grey at all...) in more colours as well!

I just don't see that as viable, I mean if 2015 really kicks of for LEGO I could see them deciding to invest that much but that's a lot of molds/rare-masks/etc.

• Upvote 1

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

For MOCing purposes, yes. For completion purposes, no. Canonizing all of the masks in some weird way?

No.

NO.

NO.

And NO.

Having a bajillion different Masks/powers will only serve to convolute the story. If they are just used in the plot as random masks some villagers wear, and have no actual powers (or specific powers, anyway), then there's no real complication at all. But really, I don't even get the Collectible Minifigures anymore. After a certain point the idea of random collectibles that are all supposed to be unique wears down after time. It just gets to the place where I personally would rather spend my money on something else, something more concrete than trying desperately to get that one Minifig only to find dissapointment.

Needless to say, I would buy one or two Mask packs regardless of plot, but I'd give up pretty quickly. I've got better things for my money to be spent/donated to.

• Upvote 1

Assuming they could be ready in time for the summer 2015 wave,  would you like Lego to release blind bags of different masks again? Keep in mind, the prices would most likely be double or even triple what they originally cost back in 2001-2003 (So approx. 4-8 bucks a pack), although I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't mind paying more if it meant getting different variations of the new kanohi.

I don't think we can assume mask packs would cost that much more than they did back in 2001–2003. After all, a lot of the new BIONICLE sets have a similar price per piece to classic BIONICLE sets.

I honestly don't know where I stand on the possibility of mask packs. Obviously, expecting them to include masks that don't appear in other sets would be fairly unrealistic. Also, mask packs don't offer nearly as much variety and play value right out of the package as other impulse-priced sets like collectible minifigures or Mixels. I wouldn't mind masks being made available in a wide variety of colors like they used to, but I'm not sure traditional mask packs are the best way to do that.

• Upvote 3

I would like for mask packs to be released, because I would love to get a Mask of Stone in blue, a Red Mask of Ice, a Transparent anything, etc. It drives me nuts when a mask is only available in one color.

While I'm at it, let's do some math. If the mask packs include...

(SSM=Skull Spider Masks)

the 6 Toa masks in the 6 main colors:
6 masks x 6 colors = 36 masks

the Toa & Protector masks in the 6 main colors:
7 masks x 6 colors = 42 masks

the Toa masks in the 6 main colors + gold:
6 masks x 7 colors = 42 masks

the Toa masks in the 6 main colors + gold/silver:
6 masks x 8 colors = 48 masks

the Toa & Protector masks in the 6 main colors + gold Toa masks:
6 masks x 7 colors + 6 PM = 48 masks

the Toa & Protector masks in the 6 main colors + gold/silver Toa masks:
6 masks x 8 colors + 6 PM = 52

the Toa masks in the 6 main colors + SSM in the 3 main colors:
6 masks x 6 colors + 3 SSM = 39 masks

the Toa masks in the 6 main colors + SSM in 6 different colors (probably all odd colors like the first 3):
6 masks x 6 colors + 6 SSM = 42 masks

...Ok, this is getting out of hand. I'll just skip to...

MEGA MASK PACK (no legendary masks)

the Toa masks in all 6 colors & gold/silver + Protector masks in all 6 colors + SSM in 6 colors + golden SSM:

6x8 + 6 + 7 = 48 + 13 = 61 different masks

ULTIMATE MASK PACK (includes ultra-rare legendary masks in gold)

64 different masks

So subtracting the masks already made (and likely to get made, like the Mask of Creation), that's:

64 - (18 existing non-legendary masks + 4 existing SSM + 3 legendary masks) = 39 new masks (color-wise) that Lego would have to make. Or just 36, if you only include SSM in the 4 existing colors. Or 30 if you don't include silver Toa masks.

And then there's the option of only including the existing 22 masks. (or 25 if you include the 3 legendary masks). While Lego isn't likely to make mask packs, it's not impossible, and I hope they do, or at least provide some way of getting the masks in different colors. Also, in my opinion, a mask pack should come with 2 masks + a Skull Spider (with legs) + a head & eyestalk (& red axle) to attach them to. That's 10 parts, and I guess it would cost about $2. I woudd buy several as a way to stock up on not only masks, but also the new heads & skull spiders. (great way to build up a Skull Spider army!) :P

Wait, hang on, maybe that's how you would add playability to the mask packs! You just include Skull Spiders! The playability is that the Skull Spider is trying to steal the masks! :P  Maybe it could have 3 random Skull Spiders + a random mask? Then it would be a Skull Spider pack but with a bonus mask. Maybe that would work better? :???:

Edit: Please use spoiler tags for storyline spoilers only.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

I was just thinking about how, rather than just a solid mask pack, i'd love to see skull spider supply packs. because currently you have to buy duplicates of sets just to get more spiders, and that's no way to live. :0

Considering each and every set comes with a Skull Spider, I can't imagine why anyone would need to buy more individually. Buying all the Toa gets you six, the Protectors get you an additional six, and for all we know the summer sets might come with spiders as well. And unlike Rhotuka, Zamors, or other ammunition-like collectibles, the Skull Spiders aren't that easy to lose, so there's less need for replacements.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I was just thinking about how, rather than just a solid mask pack, i'd love to see skull spider supply packs. because currently you have to buy duplicates of sets just to get more spiders, and that's no way to live. :0

Considering each and every set comes with a Skull Spider, I can't imagine why anyone would need to buy more individually. Buying all the Toa gets you six, the Protectors get you an additional six, and for all we know the summer sets might come with spiders as well. And unlike Rhotuka, Zamors, or other ammunition-like collectibles, the Skull Spiders aren't that easy to lose, so there's less need for replacements.

I need at least twice the number of heroes in spiders. and i'm certain there are kids out there craving even more.

Edited by Rahkshi Lalonde

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

I need at least twice the number of heroes in spiders. and i'm certain there are kids out there craving even more.

YESSS I NEED MORE SKULL SPIDERSSSSS!!! :P  :P  :P I'm one of the people that want an army of Skull Spiders to fight the Toa. I want enough Skull Spiders to bury a Toa in. Enough to create a pile of Skull Spiders that you could hide a Protector inside. Enough Skull Spiders to RULE OKOTO!!! :P

But yeah, I'm the kind of person that wants more than just 1 Skull spider per hero.

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Yes, ALL THE MASKS :D

Edited by 2Tie

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

It'd be awesome but I doubt I'd drop too much money to get blind-mask packs and end up with multiples of the same masks or something. xD Regardless, I realize that was the fun part about mask packs (seeing what masks you'll get) so I kind of wish it returned. I loved seeing the same masks in different colours.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Would you like to see the return of mask packs?

Yeah, I'd like to see some mask and spiders packs.

What types of masks would you like to see if they did release mask packs again?

Hm. Great Masks and Legendary Masks.

What colors should they be in?

Infected and translucent variants. Honestly I'm surprised these two aren't the most wanted.

• 1 month later...

I think I basically voted "all of the above". 

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

It's fun to have a swarm of Skull Spiders to pit against your heroes, and since each set only comes with one, a way to cheaply amass more would be nice. Unlike other collectibles, more Skull Spiders are never redundant.