The truth behind the Mask of Time.

Here's an idea: What if they lied about it being a hard reboot so that they wouldn't ruin the surprise?

Like how in Beast Wars for Transformers it was revealed to actually be a prequel/sequel to Gen 1 Transformers.

Lego never lies. And a reboot can still be connected to the old universe. Take a look at the 2009 Star Trek reboot. And no employee ever called it a hard reboot... just a reboot. And if it wasn't for old Spock, Star Trek 2009 might as well be a hard reboot. The problem when talkign about this is defining what exactly a soft/hard reboot is, because it isn't always very clear.

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

The problem when talking about this is defining what exactly a soft/hard reboot is, because it isn't always very clear.

Anecdotal and all I know... I think almost every time I've seen someone talk about a soft reboot is in reference to one of two (sort of 3) things; the previous story happened but isn't really relevant beyond character A &/or B that is now in this storyline who came from it in some capacity - prime example being the relatively recent Star Trek - it covers a similar story but you have this one guy who was there for a different version of it all, another example would be Unicron who is generally considered to be in all Transformers Continuities at the smae time basically, neither of these two characters really bring the new story back into the old one when its specified that it's a reboot.

The other kind of soft reboot I see fairly regularly is merely to refer to when they are essentially remaking the series - it isn't going off on a completely different flavour, their will be plenty of parallels but it won't be the same (to keep interest plot twists will typically be done differently to different degrees), but generally it reuses characters that develop in a similar way etc.

I can't really recall anything that has actually called a reboot soft or not hard etc that hasn't fallen into one fo these two things, I'm not saying it is a well defined term but I'd be surprised if it wasn't one of these two things.

Although whilst I can't think of an example it wouldn't surprise me if they mean it exists in the same 'multivers'e verse as the different parallel(-ish) worlds in G1 - although as it is still a reboot there won't be much travel between them by anyone or anything.

• Upvote 1

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Now I don't know if anybody has said this already because I didn't read all the posts, but Lego would not directly link both universes. Sure they might make small connections if the MoT theory turns out to be true but they wouldn't directly due to the newer generation of kids discovering Bionicle for the first time. In addition to this, their overall new approach is "simple = better/easier". Linking both universes would require the new demographic to know about the gen1 universe, which is complicated. So, no, no direct links. Hints or suggestions maybe for the older fans, but they would have to be simple and subtle ones for the kids.

Edited by Kuurai
  • Upvote 2

"It's all a trick, you see. They want me to pretend to betray them. They want you to concentrate your forces here against an attack that won't come. But I decided: Why pretend to betray them when actually doing it would be so much more fun?"
— Vezon to Tridax, Destiny War

• 1 year later...

personally I think this would be a very interesting theory to be cannon and plus the 2016 poster with tahu on it has the mask of control in the back ground with the island of mata nui in the center of it

Sadly the poster with the island of Mata Nui was a fan edit on the Mask Maker Contest Video. Since then Lego has officially released the poster, and there is no Mata Nui on it.

• Upvote 1

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

personally I think this would be a very interesting theory to be cannon and plus the 2016 poster with tahu on it has the mask of control in the back ground with the island of mata nui in the center of it

Sadly the poster with the island of Mata Nui was a fan edit on the Mask Maker Contest Video. Since then Lego has officially released the poster, and there is no Mata Nui on it.

thank you for telling me that i should have looked more into things  but i still wish to believe this theory bacuse it would keep it engaging for

old and new fans alike plus with extending its run after we eventually deal with the mask of ultimate power so we don’t have to pull another cliché villain out of the cliché bag like ninjago and chima had to do to keep themselves alive

What if this employee was just trolling a fandom . . . a very small fandom that is ultimately not Lego's target group. He could get away with it because the higher ups at that company probably don't watch TTV or go on message boards. This employee is "under the radar." I'm sure Lego cares about us, but they are focusing on young newcomers a whole lot more. 

On a side note, if the vahi is half of a mask, it should fuse with a mask of space, TO FORM THE MASK OF SPACETIME!!! ALLOWING THE USER TO WARP REALITY!!! IT WOULD BE KNOWN AS THE MASK OF . . . BENNY!!!

SPACETIME!!!

SPACETIME!!!

SPACETIME!!!

SPACETIME!!!

Edit: Or maybe this employee had little to no idea what he was talking about. I don't think anyone on the current Bionicle team was previously a fan who knew the lore through and through. He probably only studied G1 minimally for that event he gave the interview in. 

Edited by YoYoSirRahka

old and new fans alike plus with extending its run after we eventually deal with the mask of ultimate power so we don’t have to pull another cliché villain out of the cliché bag like ninjago and chima had to do to keep themselves alive

Which Ninjago and Chima villains are you thinking about specifically? I can't think of a lot who are inherently more cliche than most major G1 Bionicle villains like Makuta Teridax or The Shadowed One... except maybe the Overlord, who's a lot like the "ancient force of darkness" image Makuta Teridax had before he lost so much of his mystery in favor of a "scheming megalomaniac supervillain" persona.

Edited by Aanchir

Which Ninjago and Chima villains are you thinking about specifically? I can't think of a lot who are inherently more cliche than most major G1 Bionicle villains like Makuta Teridax or The Shadowed One... except maybe the Overlord, who's a lot like the "ancient force of darkness" image Makuta Teridax had before he lost so much of his mystery in favor of a "scheming megalomaniac supervillain" persona.

I have to agree with you on this one and the chima and ninjago villans I was referring to was chimas weird ice guy and ninjagos weird ghost guy those guys are just they are to fore those series to live past their prime and seem very awkward but in bioncle they didn’t need a new evil villain and  30 new characters each year so we can breath some new life into it bioncle had makuta an omnipresent evil god he had different lackeys each year but at least bioncle had one main villain every time makuta and it looks like with  g2 we will have the mask of ultimate power or at least some type of god that is controlling the mask as our overarching villain but i just really don’t want them to reveal the mask of stupid ice ghost or whatever

Please don't post in threads that have been inactive for over 60 days.

Revived topic closed - however, feel free to create a new one following the current discussion.