Movie Question

Toa Alvarno

I don't remember much of what happened towards the end of Gen 1, but if I'm not wrong, were they planning on making sequels to The Legend Reborn involving dinosaurs? I remember Greg Farshtey saying something about that. Does anyone have more details about what Lego's plans were before the cancellation? It seemed like they were going to extend the Glatorian saga much longer before abruptly ending it.

• Upvote 1

There were originally going to be three movies. If I recall correctly, the second was to be about getting the prototype robot together and then the third would have been about the final battle; basically two films from what ended up being the Mata Nui Saga, but with more worldbuilding and backstory.

• Upvote 3

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

To add to what Sumiki said, Mata Nui and Co. were supposed to be teleported to Bota Magna at the end of  second one, and there they would have encountered some of the experiments of the Great Beings a.k.a. biomechanical dinosaurs. The third would have focused on them getting back, repairing the Prototype, and defeating Teridax.

Edited by ~T1S~
  • Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

There were originally going to be three movies. If I recall correctly, the second was to be about getting the prototype robot together and then the third would have been about the final battle; basically two films from what ended up being the Mata Nui Saga, but with more worldbuilding and backstory.

This is true...

It's a shame it could not be... :(

Edited by Fordianl

An important note about the whole bio-mechanical dinosaurs thing. Greg Farshtey said that the script for the 5th Bionicle movie was only a story treatment concept and was never even approved. So had Bionicle's end not been shortened, the bio-mechanical dinosaurs thing may or may not have actually ended up happening.

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Yeah, the only thing that TLR had going for it was that the voice acting was marginally better than the voice acting for MoL. In all other respects it was a massive disappointment :rolleyes:

Most of the animation quality was actually really impressive, especially compared to the preceding Miramax films. I think the story and art direction may have just been that bad that everyone remembers the whole thing being slightly worse than it was :P

The second film was supposed to involve the maze that was on the Skrall shield, I believe. I can't remember if I read it in the script (if that's still out there, you might enjoy looking at it) or if it was a serial, but I believe they were meant to find the power source for the robot in there.

• Upvote 2

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

An important note about the whole bio-mechanical dinosaurs thing. Greg Farshtey said that the script for the 5th Bionicle movie was only a story treatment concept and was never even approved. So had Bionicle's end not been shortened, the bio-mechanical dinosaurs thing may or may not have actually ended up happening.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that one of the graphic novels had a biomechanical dinosaur that looked like, and I quote, "a stereotype Flintstones-styled tail-dragging "Brontosaurus" with what looked like miniature lamp-posts sticking out of its cyber-head."

maybe it's for the best that we never saw them in any other official treatment

• Upvote 1

I seem to remember reading somewhere that one of the graphic novels had a biomechanical dinosaur that looked like, and I quote, "a stereotype Flintstones-styled tail-dragging "Brontosaurus" with what looked like miniature lamp-posts sticking out of its cyber-head."

maybe it's for the best that we never saw them in any other official treatment

That actually sounds pretty cool. :P

• Upvote 2

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Yeah, the only thing that TLR had going for it was that the voice acting was marginally better than the voice acting for MoL. In all other respects it was a massive disappointment :rolleyes:

Most of the animation quality was actually really impressive, especially compared to the preceding Miramax films. I think the story and art direction may have just been that bad that everyone remembers the whole thing being slightly worse than it was :P

The animation quality was good on its own, yes, but that's to be expected, given the rapid improvements in CGI that took place over the course of that decade.

The real issue is the fact that we know that SM inhabitants are more organic than MU inhabitants, and yet in the movies we got, the MU inhabitants look far more organic than the SM inhabitants. That just throws everything off, regardless of animation quality.

• Upvote 1

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

I'm still so confused about this giant robot thing. I thought Mata Nui was a Glatorian.

As a title, he may qualify as a Glatorian, considering his arena battle. In the sets, he was sold alongside those labeled as Glatorian. All materials even vaguely related to the story, though, (even his LEGO set description) make it clear he is not of the world of Bara Magna. The set description is the only one I can think of vague enough to not mention the giant robot bit, and it still mentions Mata Nui being stripped of great powers, and being trapped on a strange world.

Of all the ways the 2009 story was confusing and poorly-conceived, I thought it was pretty clear on who Mata Nui was, provided one even glanced at the relevant story materials.

• Upvote 3

I'm still so confused about this giant robot thing. I thought Mata Nui was a Glatorian.

As a title, he may qualify as a Glatorian, considering his arena battle. In the sets, he was sold alongside those labeled as Glatorian. All materials even vaguely related to the story, though, (even his LEGO set description) make it clear he is not of the world of Bara Magna. The set description is the only one I can think of vague enough to not mention the giant robot bit, and it still mentions Mata Nui being stripped of great powers, and being trapped on a strange world.

Of all the ways the 2009 story was confusing and poorly-conceived, I thought it was pretty clear on who Mata Nui was, provided one even glanced at the relevant story materials.

Longer explanation:

Mata Nui is the great spirit the Matoran are always talking about and the Toa were trying to awaken. He was the mind of the gigantic robot in which all the Matoran lived. When the Toa Nuva awoke the robot, it turns out that Makuta took over the robot, and so Makuta sent Mata Nui's spirit into the Mask of Life and launched it into space. The mask landed on Bara Magna and made a body in the shape of a Glatorian for Mata Nui. Mata Nui befriends the Glatorian, uses the Mask of Life to rebuild an older prototype giant robot which he then takes control of, fights Makuta, and reunites Bara Magna & its moons, Aqua Magna & Bota Magna, into the complete planet of Spherus Magna. Also, "Glatorian" is just a title, and we don't know the actual name of the "Glatorian" species.

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Also, "Glatorian" is just a title, and we don't know the actual name of the "Glatorian" species.

Is it a combination of 'gladiator' and 'Matoran'?

I know it's based off of "gladiator". I don't know about "Matoran", though.

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Man I wish we got these movies. :( They sounded great. A movie for the final year of Bionicle would have been fantastic. 

-NotS

Would it? Judging by the quality of TLR I'm not too sure. :P

Still, there is an improvement in animation quality in the Hero Factory shorts. Similar to the original trilogy, if it increased in significant increments in terms of animation quality and tone we could have had a real gem. I feel TLR was really just a testing ground for what was to come. 

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Man I wish we got these movies. :( They sounded great. A movie for the final year of Bionicle would have been fantastic. 

-NotS

Would it? Judging by the quality of TLR I'm not too sure. :P

Still, there is an improvement in animation quality in the Hero Factory shorts. Similar to the original trilogy, if it increased in significant increments in terms of animation quality and tone we could have had a real gem. I feel TLR was really just a testing ground for what was to come. 

-NotS

Oh yeah, the animation is fine. I was talking... Er, dialogue-and-story-wise. :P

Edited by Bambi

Also, "Glatorian" is just a title, and we don't know the actual name of the "Glatorian" species.

A while back, after reading through a few BS01 articles, I was under the impression that they were more powerful Agori... The Elemental Lords were Agori augmented by the Great Beings, the Glatorian are the chosen defenders of the other Agori and augmented with better parts that the tribes had found?

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

The glatorian species is twice the height of the agori. That's not a difference that can be explained by armour. The species being a modified form of agori that breeds true makes a certain amount of sense.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Since nobody seems to have mentioned it, Greg gave us the screen treatment for the planned fifth movie (second of the TLR trilogy) years ago. Worth a read, although skimpy on mechanical dinosaurs.

I think the rest of it is a huge step up from TLR though...

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

I recall Greg mentioning at one point that we weren't going to get another movie regardless because TLR wasn't able to sell enough copies before a certain point.

Which makes me a happy camper, i still like to think that TLR was just a bad fever dream.

Well, that is certainly unfortunate. :(

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

I recall Greg mentioning at one point that we weren't going to get another movie regardless because TLR wasn't able to sell enough copies before a certain point.

Which makes me a happy camper, i still like to think that TLR was just a bad fever dream.

Well, that is certainly unfortunate. :(

-NotS

Yeah, they were actually planning a whole new trilogy of movies... Well, at least with all these "The Lego Movie" spin-offs it seems possible that a Bionicle THEATRICAL movie could come into development in the future... ;)

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

See, I still don't know where anyone got their story related materials from.

A while back, after reading through a few BS01 articles, I was under the impression that they were more powerful Agori... The Elemental Lords were Agori augmented by the Great Beings, the Glatorian are the chosen defenders of the other Agori and augmented with better parts that the tribes had found?

What if they're just all people, and the taller people have a better time getting a job as a Glatorian.

Here's hoping that, if it happens, there will be more voice acting than a single narrator like we'll get in the webisodes :P And hopefully that voice acting will be better than what we got with MoL or TLR >.<

I'm pretty sure the voice acting was done up in Vancouver for MoL, and it featured a lot of great voice actors. (Scott McNeil, Kathleen Barr...) I fail to see what was so wrong with it? Were the voices not like how you pictured?

Edited by Shadow Destroyer

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

The only voices that worked at all were Pohatu and Kopaka. Maaaybe Takua/Takanuva. All the other voices were too exaggerated, to the point where Jaller's voice was completely out of character.

LoMN was a significant improvement.

EDIT: And it's not even like I was picturing something different beforehand -- it took me like 5 years to even realize how poor it was.

Edited by Jacks

bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

Here's hoping that, if it happens, there will be more voice acting than a single narrator like we'll get in the webisodes :P And hopefully that voice acting will be better than what we got with MoL or TLR >.<

Do not insult Worf. :P

Really though, Micheal Dorn and Christopher Gaze (Gathered Friends...) did a wonderful job. I often wonder why people blame voice acting for voices not sounding how they wanted it to sound or other issues like plot or logical inconsistencies.