Student Register

Wyrd Bid Ful Araed

We aren't left with many other options. No Density Rahk yet is capable of intangibility, busting down the door will frighten the Matoran, or maybe not able to bust it down at all, perhaps due to barricades. Fear wouldn't work well, though maybe anger would. A level three magnetism, perhaps, but I only know of Omega, who is dead. Luring him out? I think Palma is the only one who can speak fluent Matoran at the school, and she is kinda busy.

Corpus Rahkshi: Shock, Mortsia, Draco,  Dahl, and Carraig 

RPG score card:
Bionifight Infinite

08954f34332a96d31850e49325e8f196.jpg

The Matoran can't even see anything - it's really dark in there. So they couldn't see the Kraata to step on them. Actually that might work quite well. Better than most anything else, anyways.

Probably infecting their mask would be the best thing to do now - that way we can be sure they don't force anyone to hurt them by doing anything stupid like running away or fighting.

Edited by Sergei Rahkmaninoff

00_gaeas_reaper.jpgjrfightmeditatesmaller.gif00_shadowboxer.jpg

How would we get a kraata in there without the Matoran stepping on it? Unless the other Matoran thinks it's just another rat...

Well, it's too dark for him to see in there, Nato specified. Plus aren't ventilation shafts typically in the ceiling? Whoever went could just drop on his head.

It strikes me as odd, somewhat, that any Kraata wouldn't know about infecting masks. It's one of their chief abilities, and in a school for them you'd think it would have been mentioned at least once to one among those contemplating entrance to the closet.

In response to Click: True. And I suppose, unfortunately, that no books in the Library would specify otherwise, even should anyone think to look - even the Makuta probably don't yet know how New Breed mask infection works. Alas.

Edit in response to Wielder: I don't think it's been defined, so it could probably be anywhere, but I would imagine it in the ceiling.

I would think anger would work decently, though if it does work, I fear for the kneecaps of the Rahkshi. But would the power work without seeing the target? I would assume so, but... Also, would fear overpower the level two anger? Bah. There is no simple way to do this.

Edited by Wielder-of-Shadow

Corpus Rahkshi: Shock, Mortsia, Draco,  Dahl, and Carraig 

RPG score card:
Bionifight Infinite

08954f34332a96d31850e49325e8f196.jpg

No one knows that he's ever tried it, either, and he's not likely to admit it, as doing so would pretty much admit that he was behind the whole thing.

*whistles innocently*

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Would the other Rahkshi who were with Illusive at the time know about it at least in theory?

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

I think some of them saw it, and I'm pretty sure Poly went and infected a Matoran himself. 

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

IC: Xara - Infirmary. 

"Are you even speaking my language?" some of the words the creep had said sounded vaguely familiar, but so twisted and distorted that they were barely recognisable. I turned back to Palma, "No offence, but I don't know, trust or understand this guy. If you think so highly of him, perhaps you should just get him to do it by himself."

But they really aren't that incomprehensible. I don't think anyone else has ever been this befuddled by Vlad's accent, except perhaps Exxan. Who you play. Maybe you just don't like written accents? But even so I think Xara should be able to understand Vlad to a greater extent than she does here.

But they really aren't that incomprehensible. I don't think anyone else has ever been this befuddled by Vlad's accent, except perhaps Exxan. Who you play. Maybe you just don't like written accents? But even so I think Xara should be able to understand Vlad to a greater extent than she does here.

Maybe I'm just the only one who's ever tried reading it out loud before. Cuz seriously, I could barely understand myself. I think Xara's reaction is pretty realistic under the circumstances. 

Obviously. Very well then, perhaps I am biased, so I'd like to put out the question to the rest of you:

Does anyone else think that Vlad's accent is as utterly incomprehensible as Nato does? I'd really like to know so that I can adjust it to the actual intensity - Vlad's accent, while noticeable, is not meant to obscure the meaning of his words to anyone willing to spend an iota of effort to understand them.

Keep in mind, that Xara is someone who has never heard a hammy German/Russian/Vampire accent before in her life. Think about when you were little; how long it took you to figure out what they were saying when you heard accents like that. 

Hey, Dane? That last Venom post actually contained an attack. Looking back at it, I realise that I didn't do a very good job at making that clear enough the first time around, so I edited the last part in order to fix it.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

Xara's been around longer than a lot of the other Rahks who have understood Vlad, though.

How long she's been at the school has very little to do with understanding the accent of someone she's only just met. To my knowledge, Vlad is the only active character in the school who talks with an accent of any sort, so I don't see how her being at the school longer than the others makes any difference. 

Well, you're right age makes no difference. The obvious difference is that all these other Rahkshi who understand Vlad perfectly well have encountered vampiric accents numerous times prior to meeting him.

Not.

Really, in all the others who understand Vlad - Revenge, Mahrika, and Kat to name a few off the top of my head - we have evidence that a Rahkshi who has never before encountered the Rahkshi equivalent of a Transylvanian accent (same as Xara) can interpret one just fine. So why shouldn't Xara?

Short speaks with a southern accent.

Kat has a sort of harsh military american accent.

Poly has a weird gentle priest sort of voice.

Xara has never met Short, and I wasn't even aware of the accents the other two had, since they caused no alteration to the actual spelling and sound of the words. 

So why shouldn't Xara?

Maybe because I decided to be realistic and have my character not immediately understand something that's spoken in a way completely different to anything she's ever heard before. 

Short speaks with a southern accent.

Kat has a sort of harsh military american accent.

Poly has a weird gentle priest sort of voice.

Xara has never met Short, and I wasn't even aware of the accents the other two had, since they caused no alteration to the actual spelling and sound of the words.

So why shouldn't Xara?

Maybe because I decided to be realistic and have my character not immediately understand something that's spoken in a way completely different to anything she's ever heard before.

But it isn't completely different - it's just an accent. It isn't meant to be incomprehensible, just a slightly alerted form of regular dialect. When was the last time you watched a vampire movie and no one could understand a word the vampire said because of his accent?

If you have any suggestions of how better to render a Transylvanian accent in text, though, I'd love to hear them.

When was the last time you watched a vampire movie and couldn't understand a word the vampire said because of his accent?

When I was younger; a little kid. Which, when you consider the fact that none of the characters in this game are more than a few months old, makes Xara's reaction all the more reasonable. 

It takes time to learn to understand people when they're talking in ways entirely different to what you're used to. 

Edited by Locus

I suspect Xara would be a bit offended if someone compared her mental capacity to a little kid's. :P (Well, maybe after they explained "kid" in Bionicle terms or substituted it for a suitable IC equivalent.) She's proven by now that her intellect is far more mature than that, I would say.

And once more you've said "completely different." Must I point out once more that it isn't completely different? A distinctive variation on the normal pronunciation, but not altered all that much. Take for example my most recent Vlad post: of 44 words he says, only 7 were spelled any different than normal - that is but 15 percent. Hardly "completely different."

I suspect Xara would be a bit offended if someone compared her mental capacity to a little kid's. :P (Well, maybe after they explained "kid" in Bionicle terms or substituted it for a suitable IC equivalent.) She's proven by now that her intellect is far more mature than that, I would say.

Xara - and all of the characters in the game, really - have the mental capacity of children in terms of worldly experiences, since the vast majority of them were sent directly to Corpus Rahkshi soon after being spawned. 

So I still think it's perfectly reasonable for someone who has never heard someone speak with an accent before in her life to have immense difficulty understanding the first person she meets who does speak with one. 

Unlike children, however, these characters are already fully capable of not only speech, but combat, planning, and advanced tactics. Given Vlad relatively light accent, and the incredible amount of context in the rest of his speech, I find it hard to believe that Xara would find him incomprehensible.

• Upvote 3

*sigh*

I've given you my arguments, others have agreed with me, and you stubbornly refute it all. As so many times before, we've reached the point where we're just arguing in circles. I give up trying in vain to convince you; keep playing Xara with what I see as an abnormally low linguistic capacity if you want. Vlad will continue to speak as he always has, and everyone else will probably remain able to understand him.