A Picture Is Worth a Thousand Likes

-Windrider-

General Art Contest #21: A Picture Is Worth a Thousand Likes

Forget the old adage; it's outdated. BZPower is currently plowing its way through social media, and we'd like your help in reaching as many new fans as possible. Remember Contest #20? Well, now we'd like an updated banner to use for YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter. Why? Well, BIONICLE is coming back, and we would like to move into the future with a banner shining bright with the colors of the 2015 sets.

Your task:

Create a piece of artwork that could wave triumphantly on BZPower's social media pages. There is a couple of guidelines, however:

• The recommended dimensions are 2560x1440. Anything less, and the image will likely be stretched if used.
  • We would like your artwork to be BIONICLE 2015-themed. The future is now.

The entry period will run from Monday, November 10th until Monday, December 1st, at 11:59 PM Eastern.

Your guidelines:

1. Static artwork only - no GIFs, Flash files, or anything that is animated.
2. One entry per member, please.
3. Your banner should be under 2MB in file size. When embedding on BZPower, however, please keep images to 750 kB (otherwise, link to them).
4. You must agree to the following: should you win, BZPower reserves the right to use your image for use on social media outlets for the foreseeable future.
5. Again, your banner should be 2560x1440 or greater, and BIONICLE 2015-themed.
6. No flaming. I don't expect this to be a problem, but I'm jotting it down just so it's out there.
7. When entering, please use the following form:

Member name:
Entry image (linked or embedded):
Entry topic (if applicable):

8. Finally, all BZPower Rules and Guidelines should be followed.

Your judgment:

I expect the final poll to run from December 2nd, sometime after 12:00 AM until Thursday, December 4th at 11:59 PM. Should we have an enormous amount of entries, the schedule will be updated with preliminary voting.

Your reward:

The winner's artwork may be chosen to be used on BZPower social media pages. Furthermore, Black Six is providing a complete set of 8 posters from NYCC for the grand prize. Second place will get 4 assorted posters from Comic Con; third place will get 3.

--

So, there you have it. Somewhat of an ordinary General Art contest with the promise of social media glory. Go forth?

Helpful posts:

Reznas - on image dimensions for social media banners.

Pomegranate - on resizing images and file size.

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 17

Just for reference, since YouTube banners function cross-platform, they do not scale in the same way banners do in other Social Media. Instead of taking an image 800x600px and scaling it to 600x400px, it takes the original image and cuts pixels off from both dimensions. This essentially means the banner is being cropped instead of scaled.

An important rule when creating a banner for YouTube: keep the bulk of the banner in a height zone of about 423px. Unless you're planning on displaying the banner on a 2560x1440px screen all the time, the banner will only display a height range of 423px (this applies for nearly every smart phone up to most desktop displays).

You can read more about this here. If you follow the template Google provides, all will be well. I'd recommend copying the middle section, of about 2560x423px, and creating a separate image for use in other Social Media. This means that you can use the bulk of the image on Facebook and Twitter. If you take an image that is 2560x1440px and use it as a cover photo on Facebook, it will scale significantly, so keep that in mind.

-Rez

• Upvote 3

I won't be entering this, since I don't have any skills in art at all. :P

But I will wish good luck to those that do enter! I can't wait to see everyone entries. :)

Edited by Toa Smoke Monster
  • Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

LOL I'll love to enter this! Ill give this a shot once again. Hopefully my skills have improved since then and good luck to everyone! :D

Once we've entered, will it be possible to edit our entries a little bit? Like fix something if it's off-center?

What I recommend is that you try it out for yourself on your own YouTube channel. Thats what I did before to try to get it the right scales and stuff lol 
Edited by AdaptingChaos

Member name: Voltex Oblige
Entry image (linked or embedded): HERE YOU GO
Entry topic (if applicable): RIGHT HERE

E: Replaced entry image with higher quality version

E2: Removed the "2001-2015" bit, since I think it looks better without it. +Better outline

Edited by Voltex Oblige
  • Upvote 1

Is this meant to directly advertise BZPower, or just be something cool for BZPower to show off to draw attention?

Also, general advice to keep your entries under 2 mb, if you somehow manage to make something that can exceed that limit like an enormous image or a lossless compression, Photoshop (and I'm sure other programs, too) have the option to Save for Web, which will save the image more efficiently and give you more advanced saving options so you can figure out how to get it down to the size limit. This is very helpful if you want to embed the image on BZP and thus have it be under 750 kB. If you don't have access to photoshop and your image takes up a lot of space, it can't hurt to ask someone to make it smaller for you so you can skip the link-clicking step in your entry topics or whatever :) 

Good luck to all!

Edited by Pomegranate
  • Upvote 2

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Is this meant to directly advertise BZPower, or just be something cool for BZPower to show off to draw attention?

The latter; it's to draw attention and make the pages stand out. The social media outlets themselves, then, will be advertising BZPower directly.

And thanks for the info. I'll add a "helpful posts" section to the topic and include a link to yours.

This is a pretty simple idea and I'm sure someone else will also come up with this, but I'm going to enter it anyway. :P

Member name: Zeddy

Entry image: Link

I like how you photo-edited Pohatu, Gali, & Onua into the image. It actually looks pretty good.

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

now the Comic-con posters, are they Bionicle-related?

Here's two examples; they all share the same Bionicle 2015 advertisement on the opposite side, and are 11" by 17". It looks like they're just blown up versions of the box art of each set, I think. I'm gonna guess that since there's 8 posters total, the last two show off a Protector and the Lord of Skull Spiders?

3wDRhcw.jpgGgzzjxu.jpg46EnrH0.jpg

To address Crunchbitenuva's post below, the topic starting post did not specify so for all I know y'all may indeed win a bunch of random posters that have nothing to do with Bionicle, I wouldn't know :P

Edited by Pomegranate

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Here's two examples; they all share the same Bionicle 2015 advertisement on the opposite side, and are 11" by 17". It looks like they're just blown up versions of the box art of each set, I think. I'm gonna guess that since there's 8 posters total, the last two show off a Protector and the Lord of Skull Spiders?

3wDRhcw.jpgGgzzjxu.jpg46EnrH0.jpg

Ah, I just saw "posters from NYCC," and I assumed that they wasn't necessarily Bionicle posters.

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

*Images removed for space.*

To address Crunchbitenuva's post below, the topic starting post did not specify so for all I know y'all may indeed win a bunch of random posters that have nothing to do with Bionicle, I wouldn't know :P

Those are indeed the posters. The winner will be getting one poster for each of the Toa, one for the Mask of Creation, and a second Mask of Creation poster so you can show off the reverse side of the poster as well.

wGF2PMb.png

lof_teaser.png

(I'll do this eventually, I swear...)

My BZPRPG Characters

Corpus Rahkshi Characters: Kol Arsenal Swarm Amalgamation

Skyrise Characters: Zavon

Just posting to let you know that I just did another minor edit to my entry, so the link in the entry topic might be outdated.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Anyway, the deadline is approaching quickly! Expect a reminder news story sometime soon, and perhaps a PM or two if you've expressed interest.

Now that I'm on break, I'll try and get an entry in. I've got a great idea. :D

Also, I made this for the last contest and figured someone might like it: A vectorized version of the BZP logo (Adobe Illustrator). Sorry it's so late. 

I've got a more recent version of my entry not uploaded yet (as Brickshelf is down), but it has a very different background than my current entry. Does this go against the rules, or is it fine if I update my Entry?

wGF2PMb.png

lof_teaser.png

My BZPRPG Characters

Now that I'm on break, I'll try and get an entry in. I've got a great idea. :D

Also, I made this for the last contest and figured someone might like it: A vectorized version of the BZP logo (Adobe Illustrator). Sorry it's so late. 

I'm getting an Error 403 message when trying to view it.

I've got a more recent version of my entry not uploaded yet (as Brickshelf is down), but it has a very different background than my current entry. Does this go against the rules, or is it fine if I update my Entry?

You are allowed to make whatever edits necessary until the end of the entry period.

You are allowed to make whatever edits necessary until the end of the entry period.

All Right! Well, better update it. (Note that after this goes up, the topic will have the old version of the poster if the entry gets overwritten)

Name: Daronus

Entry: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Daronus/Other-Artwork/bzpower_art_contest_entry_mark_2.png

wGF2PMb.png

lof_teaser.png

My BZPRPG Characters

Still working on this, but I thought I'd at least get the 2560x423 image out as suggested by Reznas.

Member Name: Click

Entry Image: 2560 x 1440

Entry Topic: Hapori Tohu, Master of Order

Tohu's been 2015-ified. :D

Edited by Click
  • Upvote 1

Still working on this, but I thought I'd at least get the 2560x423 image out as suggested by Reznas.

Entry Image: 2560 x 423

Can that new Tohu head at least replace the old one whether this entry wins or not

• Upvote 3

Entry Image: 2560 x 423

Can that new Tohu head at least replace the old one whether this entry wins or not

Agreed! BTW Click I suggest that you make your entry under the recommended sizes, YouTube wont take anything under the recommended. If anything I suggest you just fill the remaining spots with a white fill-in.

Yes, I know, I'm still finishing up Tohu, but the rest of the banner is all done. I'll post the full size later tonight. I just wanted to get something out.

EDIT: My entry has been updated with the full banner. Check out the topic for more on the Great Hapori Tohu.

Edited by Click
  • Upvote 1