Compatibility Questions

Zeb

UPDATE: ALL QUESTIONS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED! Thanks to everyone who contributed to this finished guide to attaching almost any Bionicle/HF head to any Bionicle/HF torso! :D 

How to attach (almost) any Bionicle head to any Bionicle/HF torso

Mata heads to...

Metru or Inika torsos:

1. Use a 3-stud-long axle with a Technic ball (preferably the type with the axle hole on only one side).
  2. Alternate Inika torso solution if you need the head to stick out a bit more. This removes compatibility with axle masks, though.

CCBS torsos:

1. Best answer.
  2. Alternative solution that requires no building on torso. To prevent the head from coming off the T-nozzle, you can use a 2-stud-long axle & this piece in place of the T-nozzle. (Stick the axle in the eyestalk.) This makes the head a bit taller, though.

Metru heads to...

Mata torsos:

1. Best answer.

CCBS torsos:

1. Best answer.
  2. Alternative CCBS solution for hunchbacks or long-chin masks.

Inika heads to...

Mata torsos:

1. Attach a 2-stud-long axle & this piece to the Inika head piece. Then replace the Mata torso's neck axle with a Technic ball + 2-stud-long axle.
  2. Alternatively, you can use attach the Inika head piece to a BA head with a 2-stud-long axle if you don't have any of the special Y-joint-similar connector. If you happen to lack any of those as well,

CCBS torsos:

1. Attach a 2-stud-long axle & this piece to the Inika head piece.
  2. Alternatively, you can use attach the Inika head piece to a BA head with a 2-stud-long axle if you don't have any of the special Y-joint-similar connector.

Av-Matoran, Glatorian, 2013 Brain Attack, or 2015 Reboot heads to...

Mata torsos:

1. Just use a 2-stud-length axle & a Technic ball.

Metru or Inika torsos:

1. Just swap out the Y-joint with a standard Glatorian neck.

Questions you may have involving masks, heads, and torsos:

Can any of the Metru eyestalks fit in the new 2015 heads or vice versa?

Nope.

What does an Inika head piece look like when attached to an Av-Matoran, Glatorian, or 2013 Brain Attack head?

It looks ridiculous, except on the Brain Attack head, which looks ok when attached to the front of the head. Here are some pictures:

On an Av-Matoran head. (with mask.On a Glatorian head. (with mask.) On a 2013 BA head. (on top) (on front)

Are the 2015 masks backwards compatible? How about vice-versa?

Yes, the 2015 masks can attach to the axle holes on the sides of a 2013 Brain Attack head. It can also attach to Y-joints and other things with axle or minifigure bar holes on each side of a 2-stud-long area. It cannot attach to a Glatorian head without looking silly (because of the small bumps next to the axle holes that are on the sides of the head's jaw), and it cannot attach to an Av-Matoran head.

OLD POST:

I've been wondering lately about whether or not certain connections are possible, and also what is the best way of attaching this head to that torso. So I need your help in answering these questions...

The question list will be constantly updated as questions are answered. If a question has been answered but you have a better solution than the one provided, please let me know! I'm on a quest to discover the absolute best techniques for Bionicle & HF cross-compatibility.

Fully answered questions shown in grey. Questions that could still possibly have a better answer are shown in dark blue.

1. Can an Inika head be attached to the a 2013 Brain Attack head? Also, can it be attached to an Av-Matoran head or Glatorian head? How does it look on both? ANSWERED: It can, but it only looks decent on the Brain Attack head.
  2. Is there any way to attach the 2015 masks to an Av-Matoran head? ANSWERED: Nope.
  3. What is the best way to attach a Mata head to an Inika & CCBS torso? Best answer for Inika torso: use a 3-stud-long axle with a Technic ball (preferably the type with the axle hole on only one side). Alternate Inika torso solution if you need the head to stick out a bit more. This removes compatibility with axle masks, though. Best answer for CCBS so far. Alternative CCBS solution that requires no building on torso. To prevent the head from coming off the T-nozzle, you can use a 2-stud-long axle & this piece in place of the T-nozzle. (Stick the axle in the eyestalk.) This makes the head a bit taller, though. If you have a better solution, please let me know!
  4. What is the best way to attach a Metru head to a Mata & CCBS torso? Best answer for Mata torsos so far. Best answer for CCBS so far. Alternative CCBS solution for hunchbacks or long-chin masks. Do you have a better solution?
  5. What is the best way to attach an Inika head to a Mata & CCBS torso? ANSWERED: For CCBS, attach a 2-stud-long axle & this piece to the Inika head. For Mata torsos, use the same technique for the Inika head and use a 2-stud-long axle & Technic ball on the Mata torso in place of the neck axle.
  6. What is the best way to attach a 2013 Brain Attack head to a Mata & Inika torso? ANSWERED: For Mata torsos, just use a 2-stud-length axle & a Technic ball. For Inika torsos, just swap out the Y-joint with a standard Glatorian neck.
  7. Can either of the old Metru eyestalks fit in the new heads? ANSWERED: Nope.
  8. Can the new 2015 eyestalks fit in the Metru head? ANSWERED: Nope.
  9. Can someone show me a picture of an Inika head piece attached to the top of a Brain Attack, Glatorian, and Av-Matoran head? ANSWERED: On an Av-Matoran head. (with mask.) On a Glatorian head. (with mask.) On a 2013 BA head. (on top) (on front)
Edited by SuperGeniusCreator
  • Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

I don't know about some of these off the top of my head, but I'll do my best.

1. Yes to all of them, but the only one that really looks somewhat decent is the BA head.

2. Don't have any of the masks, but from the look of them, it'd be extremely loose, and probably wouldn't stay on.

3. Depends on the attachment. If it's like the Inika and using a Y-joint, then I'd suggest this construct (or something very much like it. This only works with the Kanohi that connect via a stud instead of an axle. You'll have to fiddle around with it a bit to make it hold an '04-onward style mask.

4. Attaching most heads to the Mata bodies is really easy, though you may have to sacrifice the use of gears for structural stability. I'm still working on a way to attach a Metru head to a HF torso. Some have come up with custom torsos that allow for this, though. Perhaps one of them will stop by and provide an example.

5. Again, really easy to attach stuff to a Mata torso. Attaching it to the HF torso is easy--use this piece as the neck, and then attach the Inika head to it via a 2-length axle.

6. Mata torso, might need some fiddling with. Inika torso, easy. The BA heads are so akin to their predecessor, the Glatorian head, that you could easily use the neck piece that originated in '09. And, well, the head originated on the HF torso, so... Not sure why that one's even in there. :P

7. Again, don't have the sets, but from the look of them, and given their specific functionality (flipping up to remove the masks) I'd say they are entirely different and are not interchangeable. It might work the other way around, though. Perhaps trying the new eyestalk in the old heads?

Hope this helps!

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

1. Yes to all of them, but the only one that really looks somewhat decent is the BA head.

2. Don't have any of the masks, but from the look of them, it'd be extremely loose, and probably wouldn't stay on.

3. Depends on the attachment. If it's like the Inika and using a Y-joint, then I'd suggest this construct (or something very much like it. This only works with the Kanohi that connect via a stud instead of an axle. You'll have to fiddle around with it a bit to make it hold an '04-onward style mask.

4. Attaching most heads to the Mata bodies is really easy, though you may have to sacrifice the use of gears for structural stability. I'm still working on a way to attach a Metru head to a HF torso. Some have come up with custom torsos that allow for this, though. Perhaps one of them will stop by and provide an example.

5. Again, really easy to attach stuff to a Mata torso. Attaching it to the HF torso is easy--use this piece as the neck, and then attach the Inika head to it via a 2-length axle.

6. Mata torso, might need some fiddling with. Inika torso, easy. The BA heads are so akin to their predecessor, the Glatorian head, that you could easily use the neck piece that originated in '09. And, well, the head originated on the HF torso, so... Not sure why that one's even in there. :P

7. Again, don't have the sets, but from the look of them, and given their specific functionality (flipping up to remove the masks) I'd say they are entirely different and are not interchangeable. It might work the other way around, though. Perhaps trying the new eyestalk in the old heads?

Hope this helps!

Thanks! I have no idea why I asked how to connect a Brain Attack head to a CCBS torso. You don't even need an adapter, it literally was made for that type of torso. :P Also, I don't quite see how the old eyestalks couldn't fit in the new heads. It looks like there's enough, maybe too much space.

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Hope this helps!

Thanks! I have no idea why I asked how to connect a Brain Attack head to a CCBS torso. You don't even need an adapter, it literally was made for that type of torso. :P Also, I don't quite see how the old eyestalks couldn't fit in the new heads. It looks like there's enough, maybe too much space.

The new heads just aren't designed to accept old eyepieces. The Metru ones had much flatter bottoms and slid in from the back, while the new ones have a narrower bottom rear of the axle hole itself, and slide in from the top. The old ones are much bulkier in general and don't fit in the new heads at all.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Hope this helps!

The new heads just aren't designed to accept old eyepieces. The Metru ones had much flatter bottoms and slid in from the back, while the new ones have a narrower bottom rear of the axle hole itself, and slide in from the top. The old ones are much bulkier in general and don't fit in the new heads at all.

Ah, ok. I see. But can the new eyestalks fit in the old heads?

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Hope this helps!

Haven't tried but I seriously doubt it. The new ones jut down to a point in front and the front face of the eyepiece is much more curved. Even if they technically fit I doubt they'd fill the eye holes the way you'd want.

Hope this helps!

Haven't tried but I seriously doubt it. The new ones jut down to a point in front and the front face of the eyepiece is much more curved. Even if they technically fit I doubt they'd fill the eye holes the way you'd want.

Well, if you ever get the chance to try it out, show me a picture, it could look great for a rebuilt Voyatoran. :P

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Well, if you ever get the chance to try it out, show me a picture, it could look great for a rebuilt Voyatoran. :P

I just tried. It doesn't work at all. The new eyepiece is too tall for it to slot into a Metru head, and the front protrudes too far forward anyway (meaning even if it could slot in, it wouldn't go in far enough to put an axle through). The old eyepiece is too wide to fit into the new head at all, and even if it did the eyes wouldn't be far ENOUGH forward (meaning there'd be a big gap between them and the eyeholes). They're just completely different shapes.

EDIT: Also, to answer another of your questions, the new masks don't fit Av-Matoran heads at all. The "cheeks" of the Av-Matoran head are much too wide.

Also, to attach a Metru head to a CCBS torso your best bet would be this part. Unless you hunch the neck forward, though, even that would risk making the figure's neck unrealistically long on most models.

Edited by Lyichir

I just tried. It doesn't work at all. The new eyepiece is too tall for it to slot into a Metru head, and the front protrudes too far forward anyway (meaning even if it could slot in, it wouldn't go in far enough to put an axle through). The old eyepiece is too wide to fit into the new head at all, and even if it did the eyes wouldn't be far ENOUGH forward (meaning there'd be a big gap between them and the eyeholes). They're just completely different shapes.

EDIT: Also, to answer another of your questions, the new masks don't fit Av-Matoran heads at all. The "cheeks" of the Av-Matoran head are much too wide.

Also, to attach a Metru head to a CCBS torso your best bet would be this part. Unless you hunch the neck forward, though, even that would risk making the figure's neck unrealistically long on most models.

Thanks for letting me know. I'm going to search around for answers to the Metru/Mata heads to CCBS torso problem...

And... I found some pretty good techniques.

Here's a pretty neat from Toa Makuro technique for both Metru & Mata heads. Too bad that Y-joint-similar piece isn't in my collection. :P

Also, Jangbricks came up with his own really neat technique for Mata heads. And wow, I tried this out and it has to be the best technique I've ever seen that doesn't require building on the torso. The only problem with this one is that when messing with the head the T-shaped piece will tend to slip out of the head, and putting on the rubberband can be a bit of a pain. (Since it's an official Lego rubberband, I guess that technique is sorta fine in "legal building" terms? Also, found out that if you use this recently introduced piece, a 3-stud-long axle, & a Technic axle half-bushing in place of the T-nozzle, you don't have a problem with the head coming off the nozzle. However, this prevents the attachment of axle masks & putting the rubberband on is still frustrating.

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Inika heads can probably be placed right onto Mata bodies if you use a longer neck pin, but it you want Inika-style posable head, I'd probably recommend this kind of piece in place of the black part used under the neck axle, though depending on which way you put it in, the ability to function as a gearbox is crippled.

Inika onto a CBBS system? Probably can use the same piece I linked above, except flipped around so the socket fits on the CBBS neck, and the axle socket is connected to the Inika head by a 2-length axle.

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

I've been using that same technique and it's worked well for me, especially when masks have a longer "chin" area. If you position the connector directly under the head it reduces height (image).

I've also used these pieces to attach Mata heads (Image here) :pakari:

[ blog ] onuanutbannermnolgstyle.jpg  [ Flickr ]

Inika heads can probably be placed right onto Mata bodies if you use a longer neck pin, but it you want Inika-style posable head, I'd probably recommend this kind of piece in place of the black part used under the neck axle, though depending on which way you put it in, the ability to function as a gearbox is crippled.

Inika onto a CBBS system? Probably can use the same piece I linked above, except flipped around so the socket fits on the CBBS neck, and the axle socket is connected to the Inika head by a 2-length axle.

Thanks! Looking at my Lewa Mata right now, I can see that inserting that piece in place of the black part would cause the gearbox to become useless, as there is no room for the gears anymore. Inserting it on top of the black part wouldn't hinder the gearbox, but it would give your MOC a very long neck.

I'm thinking if you modified the gearbox so the main axle doesn't stick through the black piece, you could attach a Y-joint on that now open hole in the black piece, to which you could attach a standard-built Inika head. (And that might also work for Metru heads.)

Alternatively, you could place a Glatorian neck there, and attach the Inika head using that method you suggested for CCBS torsos. (It's so hard to describe these things... a picture is worth a thousand words. :P )

Wait, hang on, I'm going to go take some pictures...

EDIT: Ok, pictures have been taken and uploaded to Brickshelf!

The modified gearbox. (There is no gear for Lewa's claw arm because he's not supposed to have one there.)

My Inika/Metru head to Mata torso method.

My Alternative Inika to Mata torso method, which requires the Inika head to be built the way you suggested for CCBS torsos.

Wait. Hang on. I just realized that using that method for Inika heads to attach to CCBS torsos, you can just use the same method someone suggested earlier for Brain Attack heads. Just take out the black neck axle, replace it with a 2-stud-long axle, attach a Technic ball on top of that, and use that Inika head attachment style you suggested, and viola! Perfect Inika head to Mata torso connection! So that renders my second Inika head to Mata torso method completely pointless, and my first method is only relevant for Metru heads.

Well, this has all been very helpful, so thanks, your idea of using a 2-stud-long axle & this piece to attach the Inika head to a CCBS torso helped me figure out the best way to attach it to a Mata torso. (I now really wish I had that piece. And a Metru or Inika head, because all I have are Mata, Glatorian, & 2013 heads. Oh, and those odd HF 2011 heads...)

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

I've been using that same technique and it's worked well for me, especially when masks have a longer "chin" area. If you position the connector directly under the head it reduces height (image).

I've also used these pieces to attach Mata heads (Image here)  :pakari:

Hmmm... you're right. Using the joint like that makes it not so bad when you have one of those long-chin masks. Also, that technique for Mata heads on CCBS torsos actually looks pretty good! Thanks!

EDIT/UPDATE: I've made some modifications to some of the techniques for attaching Mata heads to Inika & CCBS torsos, and have updated my question & answer list with them.

EDIT 2: OnuaNut, I tried your technique in real life and it seems to make the head stick out too much on a standard figure. (Though it works great on your MOC.) So it isn't going on the list. But nice technique anyway! :) 

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

New question: Can someone show me a picture of an Inika head attached to a Brain Attack, Glatorian, and Av-Matoran head

Sorry, but I'm not quite sure what the question is asking ^.^

New question: Can someone show me a picture of an Inika head attached to a Brain Attack, Glatorian, and Av-Matoran head

Sorry, but I'm not quite sure what the question is asking ^.^

The actual Inika head piece by itself has 2 axle holes. The Brain Attack head has an axle hole on the top. Apparently you can attach them to each other with Technic axles. I want to see a picture of the Inika head part attached to the top of the aforementioned 3 heads.

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

On an av-matoran head, with mask. On a glatorian head, with mask.

Don't own any Hero Factory sets, can't help with Brain attack. On the Av-matoran head, it has to use the hole farther back, though the glatorian head can use either. Pic is on front. Hope that helps.

On an av-matoran head, with mask. On a glatorian head, with mask.

Don't own any Hero Factory sets, can't help with Brain attack. On the Av-matoran head, it has to use the hole farther back, though the glatorian head can use either. Pic is on front. Hope that helps.

Thanks! Two heads down, one to go! (As you can see here, the Brain Attack head has an axle connection on both its top and on the front, so to whoever has both a HF 2013 head & an Inika head, I'll need pictures of both configurations.)

EDIT: Also, I had no idea it looked that bad on an Av-Matoran head. I really underestimated the length of that head. :P

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Yeah heh, though I often find myself overestimating the length of the Inika head, too :P

:alert: Ok, just a reminder. I only have one question left unanswered. Once someone shows me a picture of an Inika head attached to the top or front of a Brain Attack 2013 HF head, I will then be able to put together my ultimate list of Bionicle heads-to-torsos compatibility techniques! :br: 

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'm still waiting for someone to answer my last question...

First off, double-posting is frowned upon here.

Second, this sort of post in general isn't going to do anything. You'd be best served by PMing all of the members in this topic who answered your other questions and see if they can help you out with it.

Third, I'll do it in a minute, and then I'll edit this post with a link to the image.

EDIT: Here you go.

Attached to the top

Attached to the "front"

Edited by ~T1S~

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Well, I'm still waiting for someone to answer my last question...

First off, double-posting is frowned upon here.

Second, this sort of post in general isn't going to do anything. You'd be best served by PMing all of the members in this topic who answered your other questions and see if they can help you out with it.

Third, I'll do it in a minute, and then I'll edit this post with a link to the image.

EDIT: Here you go.

Attached to the top

Attached to the "front"

1. Sorry. I guess I could have just started a new topic for it.
  2. I never considered that. I'll make sure to do that next time.
  3. Thank you! All my questions have been answered!

UPDATE: Here is the organized list I promised! Once again, thanks to everyone who contributed to this list! ;)  :D 

How to attach (almost) any Bionicle head to any Bionicle/HF torso

Mata heads to...

Metru or Inika torsos:

1. Use a 3-stud-long axle with a Technic ball (preferably the type with the axle hole on only one side).
  2. Alternate Inika torso solution if you need the head to stick out a bit more. This removes compatibility with axle masks, though.

CCBS torsos:

1. Best answer.
  2. Alternative solution that requires no building on torso. To prevent the head from coming off the T-nozzle, you can use a 2-stud-long axle & this piece in place of the T-nozzle. (Stick the axle in the eyestalk.) This makes the head a bit taller, though.

Metru heads to...

Mata torsos:

1. Best answer.

CCBS torsos:

1. Best answer.
  2. Alternative CCBS solution for hunchbacks or long-chin masks.

Inika heads to...

Mata torsos:

1. Attach a 2-stud-long axle & this piece to the Inika head piece. Then replace the Mata torso's neck axle with a Technic ball + 2-stud-long axle.
  2. Alternatively, you can use attach the Inika head piece to a BA head with a 2-stud-long axle if you don't have any of the special Y-joint-similar connector. If you happen to lack any of those as well,

CCBS torsos:

1. Attach a 2-stud-long axle & this piece to the Inika head piece.
  2. Alternatively, you can use attach the Inika head piece to a BA head with a 2-stud-long axle if you don't have any of the special Y-joint-similar connector.

Av-Matoran, Glatorian, 2013 Brain Attack, or 2015 Reboot heads to...

Mata torsos:

1. Just use a 2-stud-length axle & a Technic ball.

Metru or Inika torsos:

1. Just swap out the Y-joint with a standard Glatorian neck.

Questions you may have involving masks, heads, and torsos:

Can any of the Metru eyestalks fit in the new 2015 heads or vice versa?

Nope.

What does an Inika head piece look like when attached to an Av-Matoran, Glatorian, or 2013 Brain Attack head?

It looks ridiculous, except on the Brain Attack head, which looks ok when attached to the front of the head. Here are some pictures:

On an Av-Matoran head. (with mask.On a Glatorian head. (with mask.) On a 2013 BA head. (on top) (on front)

Are the 2015 masks backwards compatible? How about vice-versa?

Yes, the 2015 masks can attach to the axle holes on the sides of a 2013 Brain Attack head. It can also attach to Y-joints and other things with axle or minifigure bar holes on each side of a 2-stud-long area. It cannot attach to a Glatorian head without looking silly (because of the small bumps next to the axle holes that are on the sides of the head's jaw), and it cannot attach to an Av-Matoran head.

• Upvote 1

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.