Mask of Ultimate Power

So, I had a theory while watching Black 6's most recent unboxing video, specifically, while he was examining the Lord of Skull Spider's box.

The gold Skull Spider mask, which we do not yet know the significance of... could this be the Mask of Ultimate Power?

1) we never saw what it looked like in the animations, as it was shrouded by evil black energy.

2) The skull spiders latch onto the faces of Protectors and Masters, alike, but why? To control them? Where have I heard of mind-controlling masks before...?

3) The mask was forged by none other than Makuta. If he bears any similarities to his predecessor other than name, could that mean that he has a penchant for controlling slaves via masks?

It'd be the perfect combination of kraata and Infected Kanohi (instead of seeking out masks to infect, the creatures themselves seek out targets to control, like the HF brains.)

So, basically, Skull spider=Infected Kanohi, Mask of Ultimate Power is Makuta's way of controlling the newfound slaves.

Sound plausible?

Thoughts? Theories? Theatrics?

(Also, if this idea has already popped up elsewhere, feel free to close this. Just thought I'd give my three cents. ;) )

Edited by ~T1S~
  • Upvote 2

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Whoo! One of (if not the) first Gen2 theory to not try and link it back to Gen1!

In any case, I like the idea of Kraata/Krana mixed to be Skull Spiders. We do know that the Skull Spiders and their Lord are signs of Makuta waking, so perhaps they're born from his dreams, like Krana were born from Gen1's essence1. I think this is a very plausible theory, and in fact I've thought along these lines as well. Though we don't know what the LoSS wants protectors for... Unlocking the Temple of Time?

Wait, I just realized: that makes the MoL scene of Makuta grabbing a Kraata to put in the Rahkshi essentially him giving birth. Eeew...

• Upvote 4

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Whoo! One of (if not the) first Gen2 theory to not try and link it back to Gen1!

Though we don't know what the LoSS wants protectors for... Unlocking the Temple of Time?

Haha, thanks!

Well, that could be the case. Thinking about that made me envision the LoSS trying to hold the key to the Temple doors with his spider legs, and failing miserably, thus, needing to enslave someone with actual hands. :P

• Upvote 2

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Though we don't know what the LoSS wants protectors for... Unlocking the Temple of Time?

Haha, thanks!

Well, that could be the case. Thinking about that made me envision the LoSS trying to hold the key to the Temple doors with his spider legs, and failing miserably, thus, needing to enslave someone with actual hands. :P

In the newest unboxing video, the LOSS has a short comic on the back that shows him holding the golden skull spider mask and fighting off the protectors. Maybe he wants Protectors to protect him from the Masters.

• Upvote 1

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

So LoSS is just a scared.Rahi using it's spawn to defend itself from people who what to kill it because it keeps taking over the people who are trying to kill it?

• Upvote 3

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

The gold Skull Spider mask, which we do not yet know the significance of... could this be the Mask of Ultimate Power?

1) we never saw what it looked like in the animations, as it was shrouded by evil black energy.

We saw enough of it to rule this out, methinks:

http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/9/90/Video_Mask_of_Ultimate_Power.png

http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/6/61/The_Golden_Mask.jpg

2) The skull spiders latch onto the faces of Protectors and Masters, alike, but why? To control them? Where have I heard of mind-controlling masks before...?

Not sure what this has to do with the theory...?

3) The mask was forged by none other than Makuta. If he bears any similarities to his predecessor other than name, could that mean that he has a penchant for controlling slaves via masks?

Again, relevance? I agree with this (methinks it's pretty obvious, but we'll see), but how does this support those two masks being the same?

So, basically, Skull spider=Infected Kanohi, Mask of Ultimate Power is Makuta's way of controlling the newfound slaves.

I think it's more likely that they're part of his plans to regain the MoUP.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

We saw enough of it to rule this out, methinks:

http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/9/90/Video_Mask_of_Ultimate_Power.png

http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/6/61/The_Golden_Mask.jpg

Not sure what this has to do with the theory...?

Again, relevance? I agree with this (methinks it's pretty obvious, but we'll see), but how does this support those two masks being the same?

I think it's more likely that they're part of his plans to regain the MoUP.

The animations could very well be disguising the shape of it to throw us off. What else do you think it is? The mask of spider control? We have no info on it, and since it doesn't resemble Makuta's goat-horned mask i the slightest, I'm linking it to the one mask that we do not have a definite shape for.

As to the relevance of the second and third points, they're partly just speculation at this point, but what would be the point of the spiders attaching to their faces? I think we can rule out that they're planting Skull Spider eggs into the bodies of their victims, so at this point, we're assuming it has to do with the spiders controlling the mind. In G1, Teridax controlled Rahi, Matoran, and Toa through infected masks. The resemblance between the gold Skull Spider mask and the spiders themselves made me wonder if the mask was created to link the spiders back to the wearer of the mask--in this case, Makuta.

Teridax-->infected masks-->slaves

Makuta-->skull spiders-->slaves

Relevant enough? I'm making a parallel between the two individuals.

Also, since these Okoto people seem to have powers more directly connected to the masks, I'm looking at this in a way that suggests that Makuta has no powers of his own, and needs the MoUP to become god-like. What sort of powers could that give him? Bug control doesn't sound that far-fetched.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Ekimu and Makuta were maskmakers. There are probably tons of other masks besides the ones we've been told about. I don't see why we would want to be seeing multiple masks as actually the same at this point. :shrugs:

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I don't think this makes it cluttered. The golden version of the mask looks identical to the bodies of the Skull Spiders. So that makes apparently just one mask for all of them (if it even exists in-story; unsure). And the Protectors all wear the same mask (by appearance, anyways?). 2001 didn't give the main bad guy a mask, true (not until 2003) but it introduced 12 masks, plus the Vahi. This is... 6 plus Creation, Control, and Ultimate Power, so nine, plus Protectors', ten, plus Skull Spiders... 11, maybe 12 if the golden one is something different. One shy of the 13 from 2001. :P

• Upvote 1

If you are looking for a mask that could be controlling the skull spiders, look no further than Makuta's Mask of Control. The Moup seems to be elementally powered, while the golden skull spider could be something else entirely. My guess? Its an elite skull spider, akin to the shadow kraata. Maybe the golden skull spider can disguise itself as other masks.

• Upvote 1

The Chirox Codex

Chuck's Very Dead Comic Series

:smilehafu: This is my signature. Exciting, huh?  :ruru:

Personally I kind of hope this Golden Skull(-Spider)[it does lack legs no?] Mask is not the MoUP, it being a Mask of Skull-Spider Control or something else seems like it could be fine, I'm just glad it looks nice (to me anyway :P ). But as for it controlling Skull-Spiders it seems pretty redundant given Makuta's "original" Mask.

My guess? Its an elite skull spider, akin to the shadow kraata. Maybe the golden skull spider can disguise itself as other masks.

I was thinking it was probably just going to be an elite SS[hah...] but then ...I don't think it comes with legs? Which seems odd to me if it's actually supposed to be 'alive' given the other SS's, but I like the idea that it disguises itself... would make it moving by itself nigh-redundant...

(EDIT: Oh yeah, & just think if the Golden Masks we see in the other packs aren't better Masks, just a disguised ESS! Be a bit of a ___ twist)

why clutter up the fresh new storyline right from the beginning? 

Agreed. Simple beginnings don't necessarily (or even likely) prevent a story opening up and going in other directions. As it was I don't recall anything particularly complicated for a while - the earliest thing I would really accept would be starting with Metru Nui. There were plenty of hints and openings before then but there wasn't anything complicated, & I don't really recall any of those things showing up in ads or other "pre-release" content...

True, 

Pedantically, but also objectively speaking... "true" isn't the precise word to use - yet, because subjectively for all we know come January 1 there will be a whole pile of story etc. thrown at us. Not necessarily likely, but talking about storyline in year 1 or wave 1 we can't really say anything that broad? Based on what we have so far though you can get away though... :P

Edited by Iblis616

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Um, I thought it was clear that the Mask of Ultimate Power controlled all six elements at once, not any form of mind control. However, the MoUP does appear to have a mind of its own, enough that it was able to control Makuta. Plus also in this version Makuta's asleep, and thereby removed from play. 

So I think it's more likely that MoUP created the Skull Spiders, including the Mask of Skull Spiders, and is using its own powerful mind to take control of the skull spiders and villagers. 

Problem with the theory is that Makuta couldn't control the Ultimate Power mask. So the Lord of Spiders controlling it while being a servant of Makuta is kind of ilogical.

The Lord of Skull Spiders isn't using the mask either way, since it literally can't wear it. Based on what we've seen it seems to be hiding the mask from the Toa and Protectors for some unknown reason.

Of course, we haven't seen enough about LOSS to know its story role, let alone that of the mask it comes with. For all we know the mask doesn't even do anthing, and is just a decoy meant to lure mask-seeking Toa and Protectors into LOSS's web...

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

That would be truly disappointed (considering it is the same mold as the rest of the skull spider masks). No real story-proof on my end, but the fact that they shadowed it out in the animation seems to insinuate that it will play a bigger role than just being a gold recolour in a $15 canister set.

-NotS

• Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

That would be truly disappointed (considering it is the same mold as the rest of the skull spider masks). No real story-proof on my end, but the fact that they shadowed it out in the animation seems to insinuate that it will play a bigger role than just being a gold recolour in a $15 canister set.

-NotS

And has anyone noticed?

3 "legendary" masks

3 years planned so far for Bionicle Gen 2

2015: Mask of creation

2016: Mask of Control

2017: Mask of ULTIMATE POWER

So I think the golden skull spider mask is a mask used to control the skull spiders, and isn't the Mask of Ultimate Power.

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Here's a plan; The Golden SS Mask's ability is to spawn smaller, inferior copies of the user. The LoSS can't physically wear the mask, but it can use it. The Mask is the sign of Makuta's wakening, because it's a new mask nobody has seen before.

-NotS

And has anyone noticed?

3 "legendary" masks

3 years planned so far for Bionicle Gen 2

2015: Mask of creation

2016: Mask of Control

2017: Mask of ULTIMATE POWER

So I think the golden skull spider mask is a mask used to control the skull spiders, and isn't the Mask of Ultimate Power.

I dunno, it could work that way. I don't know if they'll focus on one mask per year, but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility, since LEGO is really emphasizing mask collecting. 

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

This might not be the best place to put this, but oh well. Personally, I think there should be less mind control/infections in Bionicle- I mean seriously. Just look at Gen 1: Infected Kanohi, Kraata, Krana, Zamor Spheres, Shadow Leeches... The first wave of Gen 2 is the same: more turn-you-evil collectible thingies. Kudos to homages and everything, but this is a new line and already the antagonists are so unoriginal. Even Hero Factory had two entire seasons based on this: Savage Planet with Quaza Spikes but most importantly Brain Attack with you-know-what. Anyone else agree?

• Upvote 2

This might not be the best place to put this, but oh well. Personally, I think there should be less mind control/infections in Bionicle- I mean seriously. Just look at Gen 1: Infected Kanohi, Kraata, Krana, Zamor Spheres, Shadow Leeches... The first wave of Gen 2 is the same: more turn-you-evil collectible thingies. Kudos to homages and everything, but this is a new line and already the antagonists are so unoriginal. Even Hero Factory had two entire seasons based on this: Savage Planet with Quaza Spikes but most importantly Brain Attack with you-know-what. Anyone else agree?

Personally, i find it impossible to hate things that grab onto your face and pilot you like an anime mecha suit. no matter how many there are,

• Upvote 3

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

The thing is, that was clearly established as Bionicle's "self-genre" and is was basically the only way not to have the bad guys always be about killing. For the target age it makes sense. You don't kill the enemy animals, you free them from the evil influence.

That it's unoriginal is not really disputable, but you have to consider what the alternatives would be. Killing isn't very original either, yeah? :P In fact pretty much anything a bad guy can do to you, at least suitable for kids lol, is going to be fairly cliche by now. The originality was more in the way it's done, and LEGO had some good choices on that. :) (Some a little more generic, but hey, win some lose some. It was also consistent with the goals of the main bad guy; Makuta usually wasn't trying to commit genocide, he was a conquerer.

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 2

Three years of Mask collecting? *yawns* That's going to get real old.

Well 2001 - 2003, some of the most beloved years in the franchise, were all mask collecting years.

-NotS

I thought 2002 - 2003 involved Krana and Kraata collecting, not masks.
2002 had the Kanohi Nuva though.

Spreading the Masks of Creation, Control, and Ultimate Power out over three years doesn't mean it's gonna be three years where the focus is collecting masks, just that those masks may probably be released as sets/be focused on in the story at those times. Mask collecting isn't really a gimmick this time 'round seeing as all the masks come with the sets already, and those story of Bionicle as always been about masks, either highly focused on them or just tangentially. I don't think anyone thought that was getting old and the story focus should be on thigh armor instead during the first 10 years :P

Seeing as we haven't seen any of the other two masks in set form yet, I was also under the impression that they'd be spreading those out. Could just be over two waves, who knows.

Edited by Pomegranate
  • Upvote 2

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Spreading the Masks of Creation, Control, and Ultimate Power out over three years doesn't mean it's gonna be three years where the focus is collecting masks, just that those masks may probably be released as sets/be focused on in the story at those times.

Mask collecting isn't really a gimmick this time 'round seeing as all the masks come with the sets already, and those story of Bionicle as always been about masks, either highly focused on them or just tangentially. I don't think anyone thought that was getting old and the story focus should be on thigh armor instead during the first 10 years :P

XD. 

I'm just hoping that they have something a little more than just collecting masks in the story. I mean 2001-2010 Bionicle wasn't just about mask collecting - we did have a couple giant robots in there to spice things up. :P

Edited by fishers64

I was personally hoping for mask collecting with the mask packs and all to come back in gen2. Although I'm a little disappointed that it's not, I like the idea of every Toa being packaged with both a regular and golden variety of their mask. It gives a lot more playability to the individual sets.

But here's a good question: If and when the MoUP is released in a set, what set will it come with? I seriously doubt the golden SS mask is the MoUP, and It would make the most amount of sense if it was released with Makuta, if and when he's released in set form, but it would make more sense for Makuta to simply come with the Mask of Control. But given the fact that the Toa come with two masks per set, however, it would make just as much sense for Makuta to come with both the Mask of Control and the Mask of Ultimate Power, one as the mask he starts out wearing, the other as the mask he's supposed to be trying to get, just like the Toa and their golden masks. That's my theory. Any comments?

And one more thing. For those of you who are saying all masks will probably have elemental power, If all masks in gen2 are forged with elemental power, then what's the Mask of Control and Mask of Creation's elemental power? Clearly the Toa's masks, as well as many others, are forged with elemental power. But does that mean all masks have to be forged with elemental power? I don't think that's entirely necessary to consider here. Just an opinion.

MetaKnight.gif  Stay vigilant, my friends. MetaKnight.gif

The thing is, that was clearly established as Bionicle's "self-genre" and is was basically the only way not to have the bad guys always be about killing. For the target age it makes sense. You don't kill the enemy animals, you free them from the evil influence.

That it's unoriginal is not really disputable, but you have to consider what the alternatives would be. Killing isn't very original either, yeah? :P In fact pretty much anything a bad guy can do to you, at least suitable for kids lol, is going to be fairly cliche by now. The originality was more in the way it's done, and LEGO had some good choices on that. :) (Some a little more generic, but hey, win some lose some. It was also consistent with the goals of the main bad guy; Makuta usually wasn't trying to commit genocide, he was a conquerer.

True, but still- it's either blow up the emotionless robot controlled by said facehugger or free the poor little animal controlled by said facehugger. I liked the Barraki or Piraka or Makuta, etc. ideas, all I'm saying is that Gen 1 was oversaturated with this kind of thing and I hope we have less of this in the future. I actually think that the new Bonklz should take some cues from Hero Factory- the 'Catch 'em and cuff 'em' way of dispatching villains worked especially well, no face-hugging necessary.

• Upvote 2

^Actually that was something that was generally not liked about HF. Although that was probably because they repeated the "Catch" phrase (pun absolutely intended) way too many times. 

In any case, hard to imagine how that could work for Bionicle. Maybe if we go to the reboot equivalent of Metru Nui...

• Upvote 1

^Actually that was something that was generally not liked about HF. Although that was probably because they repeated the "Catch" phrase (pun absolutely intended) way too many times. 

In any case, hard to imagine how that could work for Bionicle. Maybe if we go to the reboot equivalent of Metru Nui...

I just mean to sort of imprison, not destroy or 'free' the antagonists- for example, puncture a hole in a Makuta's armor and collect his essence into a vial. Boom, enemy defeated, no killing involved.

Edited by Gukko Lord
  • Upvote 1

Three years of Mask collecting? *yawns* That's going to get real old. 

Well 2001 - 2003, some of the most beloved years in the franchise, were all mask collecting years.

-NotS

I thought 2002 - 2003 involved Krana and Kraata collecting, not masks.

They did not start hunting for Kanohi Nuva until 03, so you are right - 02 was Krana hunting. Is that really so different though? xD

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Handcuffing bad guys was what good guys did, not what bad guys did, plus it too is "cliche" but accepted within the genre of police stories, which HF sort of is (a sci-fi police story). I don't think it would fit well with Bionicle, as it would probably feel too "real-world".

• Upvote 2

I suppose there is a reason that Vahki used stun staffs instead of handcuffs, however. It has more of an "out there" feel, where as handcuffs are somewhat campy. 

They would have to change Metru Nui's culture significantly in order to make handcuffs acceptable IMO. Also you would have to reduce the power of the characters significantly for them to be effective. Handcuffs would do nothing against the Makuta or Toa. You want your police force to actually be a threat, unless it's a comedy series. Which Bionicle isn't. 

• Upvote 2

I suppose there is a reason that Vahki used stun staffs instead of handcuffs, however. It has more of an "out there" feel, where as handcuffs are somewhat campy. 

They would have to change Metru Nui's culture significantly in order to make handcuffs acceptable IMO. Also you would have to reduce the power of the characters significantly for them to be effective. Handcuffs would do nothing against the Makuta or Toa. You want your police force to actually be a threat, unless it's a comedy series. Which Bionicle isn't. 

Remember how the Hero Cuffs drain the energy of the villain wearing them? Maybe Bionicle handcuffs would drain a Toa's powers or something. :P

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Remember how the Hero Cuffs drain the energy of the villain wearing them? Maybe Bionicle handcuffs would drain a Toa's powers or something. :P

But then you're basically just copying off of Hero Factory...

• Upvote 1

I'm not trying to say, "Oh, just give 'em all handcuffs! Yay!" All I mean is that I think it would be a good move to have the method of defeating villains be CAPTURING them, not freeing them from en evil overlord's control or blowing them up.

;) Well... the Bahrag twins were imprisoned, so that's capturing of a sort. Admittedly Cahdok and Gahdok weren't what I would call evil, but they were antagonists (for a time).

But personally it never has bothered me that much of the time 'villains' were released from control et cetera, I can understand how this wears on ...but I thought essentially all antagonists were handled reasonably well in this regard from '06 onward.

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.