Theory on Okoto Masks & Protectors

I have a theory about the new 2015 story, that might explain what the Protectors are protecting, why the Toa need those golden masks, and why Okoto has such a kooky look.

Based on the promo comic on the back of the Master's boxes, it looks like the Protectors are protecting the masks

But why? Are they expecting the Toa, and keeping the mask warm for them? Maybe, but I have another idea too:

Since this new BIONICLE is up front about being "magical" (forged from raw magic and gold, Ekimu?), this idea seems to make sense: The golden masks themselves, just by being in a certain region, change the environment itself! Or at least have a very strong link to it- or are just that powerful. And this would explain the wonky look of Okoto- the elements of the island are somehow influenced by the masks! (but maybe not, since the masks have to be forged from the elements now. Maybe these ones are special though?)

This is why the Toa need those masks! From the promo comic, it looks like once they have them they can kick trash.

I think that it connects them more deeply to their element (and region), and gives them the full range of their power. Without it, they only have the bare minimum (maybe like a turaga on Mata Nui? or maybe the comparison is just Toa Mata to Nuva in power).

Well, what do you think? Any different ideas about Protectors, or what makes the golden masks so special?

---------

[like, subscribe, and comment below!] :P

• Upvote 3

1: This ain't YouTube.

2: The protectors are the village elders, and I believe they are simply protecting their respective villages.

Sorry to sound so harsh :) I'm not a harsh guy :P

Edited by UngluedBike
  • Upvote 2

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

I suppose the fact that they all have the same mask might be evidence that their job is related to masks. But not necessarily, and if the masks are scattered around the island, how can they be protecting them?

• Upvote 3

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I guess it's what I get from the promo comics and packaging- the masks don't look scattered- they look like they're kept on pedestals for some reason- 

I guess you're right though: would they really have to look for them if everyone knew where they were?  :???:

*sigh*, Everything made sense until this moment...

Edited by Takametru007

I guess it's what I get from the promo comics and packaging- the masks don't look scattered- they look like they're kept on pedestals for some reason- 

I guess you're right though: would they really have to look for them if everyone knew where they were?  :???:

Still makes sense. Who ever said that EVERYONE knew where they were? Maybe just the six guarding the masks know the locations, the way the Turaga on Mata Nui were the only ones who knew the locations of the Kanohi. It doesn't have to be common knowledge. If the Protectors are the village leaders, then it could just be some big government conspiracy to keep the Toa and Okotoans in the dark. :P

Edited by ~T1S~
  • Upvote 4

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Fair enough... I was also wondering if those pedestals might be part of protecting them. :shrugs: But that's highly speculative.

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Still makes sense. Who ever said that EVERYONE knew where they were? Maybe just the six guarding the masks know the locations, the way the Turaga on Mata Nui were the only ones who knew the locations of the Kanohi. It doesn't have to be common knowledge. IF the Protectors are the village leaders, then it could just be some big government conspiracy to keep the Toa and Okotoans in the dark. :P

It has been confirmed that the Protectors are the village elders. Perhaps in 2018 we'll hear the Protector of Fire say:

"You are not the first Toa. In the time before 2015, we lived in the city of Metrokoto..." :P

EDIT: Just imagine, Voyakoto, Mahrikoto, & Kardakoto. And don't forget Ta-Koto, Ga-Koto, Po-Koto, etc. :P 

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator
  • Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Still makes sense. Who ever said that EVERYONE knew where they were? Maybe just the six guarding the masks know the locations, the way the Turaga on Mata Nui were the only ones who knew the locations of the Kanohi. It doesn't have to be common knowledge. IF the Protectors are the village leaders, then it could just be some big government conspiracy to keep the Toa and Okotoans in the dark. :P

It has been confirmed that the Protectors are the village elders. Perhaps in 2018 we'll hear the Protector of Fire say:

"You are not the first Toa. In the time before 2015, we lived in the city of Metrokoto..." :P

EDIT: Just imagine, Voyakoto, Mahrikoto, & Kardakoto. And don't forget Ta-Koto, Ga-Koto, Po-Koto, etc. :P 

Sorry, I was typing fast, and the "If" got fully capitalized. Ignore that word and focus on the rest of the sentence.

Edited by ~T1S~

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I guess you're right though: would they really have to look for them if everyone knew where they were? :???:

Still makes sense. Who ever said that EVERYONE knew where they were? Maybe just the six guarding the masks know the locations, the way the Turaga on Mata Nui were the only ones who knew the locations of the Kanohi. It doesn't have to be common knowledge. If the Protectors are the village leaders, then it could just be some big government conspiracy to keep the Toa and Okotoans in the dark. :P
Now now, let's not get into another discussion about propaganda and real world equivalents eh? It ended so well last time :D Edited by UngluedBike

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

I've just assumed they are sort of guards for their respective villages, and the masks are identical to identify them as such. Maybe the masks showed up, and the Protectors are just looking after them until the Toa arrive?

I like the idea that the masks are tied to the environment somehow, but it does sound a little far-fetched.

• Upvote 2

IetTsFQ.png