Another Ideas Project Hits the Mark

Yet another model on LEGO Ideas has reached 10,000 votes of support. The Natural History Museum - Creator Expert by tjspencer1 is based off the museum in London and packs a lot of details, both inside and out. I look forward to seeing how it does in the review process. While we're on the subject of LEGO Ideas, you should also check out Nuju Metru's Lord of the Rings Set: Minas Tirith, which is less than one thousand votes away from the goal! If you think it should be made into a set, cast your vote!

View the full article

This project is fantastic! I've tried building a modular museum before but could never manage to make things like fossils, which this project does pretty much perfectly. Hope this does good in review!

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Well, the skeletons may be even uglier and more inaccurate than the Research Institute's, but otherwise this is a pretty solid set.

I know you're all anal about dinosaurs, but I literally can't see how these could possibly be much better. They have to be scaled to fit in the building well, they have to be sturdy and use legitimate connections for their construction, they can't use new molds to get more accurate shaping...

I've TRIED making dinosaur skeletons before. It's HARD. I think this project strikes a perfect balance between accuracy and feasibility—a build that conveys the FEEL of dinosaur fossils marvelously with a simple, small, and solid build, using only existing pieces.

I think you'd do well to stop taking every single inaccurate dinosaur depiction you see personally. Because it sure doesn't make me any MORE interested in paleontology to see you spouting negativity every time anything slightly dinosaur-related comes up.

Well, the skeletons may be even uglier and more inaccurate than the Research Institute's, but otherwise this is a pretty solid set.

I know you're all anal about dinosaurs, but I literally can't see how these could possibly be much better. They have to be scaled to fit in the building well, they have to be sturdy and use legitimate connections for their construction, they can't use new molds to get more accurate shaping...

I've TRIED making dinosaur skeletons before. It's HARD. I think this project strikes a perfect balance between accuracy and feasibility—a build that conveys the FEEL of dinosaur fossils marvelously with a simple, small, and solid build, using only existing pieces.

I think you'd do well to stop taking every single inaccurate dinosaur depiction you see personally. Because it sure doesn't make me any MORE interested in paleontology to see you spouting negativity every time anything slightly dinosaur-related comes up.

I'm not taking it personally? I just don't personally like these dinosaur skeleton designs. Sure, there are things necessitated by the scale. I have also tried to make dinosaur skeletons and it is indeed hard. However, things like the hind leg being one solid bone and the theropod standing almost vertically don't really get me going. Also, the limbs have this odd shaping to them like they were designed to look like limbs with flesh on them then had a bone slapped on to be skeletal.

I'm sorry it offends you that I'm not farting sunshine wherever I go about dinosaur things? I just have a standard of quality for these things that I wish more things would hit.

• Upvote 2

I personally get a huge kick out of Lucina's dinosaur rants. She is literally the most passionate person I've ever seen about paleontology, and the first community member I'd consult in anything regarding dinosaurs.

I would agree that if I had a paleontology question she'd be the first one I'd go to. I just wish her passionate interest didn't manifest negatively so often. Frankly, I think getting Lego dinosaur fossils that leave something to be desired is a great deal better than not getting them at all, just like I think that an inaccurate dinosaur portrayal in media can still be just as exciting and engaging as an accurate one. As a kid, I read a decent number of books about dinosaurs, and not all of them were necessarily accurate or up-to-date with the latest science. But these days I follow plenty of science-related blogs, and paleontological discoveries always excite me in great part due to the interest that was initially sparked by possibly-inaccurate but engaging and heartfelt media. Sometimes, it IS the thought that counts—especially for young minds which are just itching for stimulation.

That's why I wish more of her rants focused more on "here's an interesting fact about dinosaurs that you won't learn from pop culture depictions" and less on "Jurassic Park is bad and had no redeeming factors, and if you like it you're wrong".

But I guess that makes ME the one who was taking things personally, and that resulted in an ill-conceived and rude post. So I'm sorry about that.

Edited by Lyichir

I think that Lucina's complaints about dinosaurs are somewhat justified - it's nice to know that I should be taking a particular dino portrayal with salt and not assuming it to be correct (better yet, to know what's wrong with it).

However, I don't get "kicks" out of it.