Set Review: 70787 Tahu Master of Fire

70787_Tahu_Master_of_Fire_Review_teaser.

The Bionicle set reviews continue! Today BZPower Blog Leader DeeVee returns to the front page with his look at 70787 Tahu Master of Fire! Tahu was a lot of people's first Bionicle set and one of the most recognizable characters in the Bionicle universe. So how does this new version do in luring old fans back in and bringing Bionicle to a new generation? You'll have to read on to find out!

View the full article

• Upvote 3

Thanks for the review! :)

Tahu looks GREAT. I think I'll get him first. Always was my favourite Toa, and still is. The design looks very interesting and fun to build, and the overall aesthetic is really cool. Of course, having three masks in one set is always nice. I think Tahu looks great with both the gold and red masks.

Can't wait for 2015!

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg

This review is amazing. Look's like Tahu's getting old and is having back trouble. :P

Thanks for the excellent photographs - the end of that video is quite good as a result. :)

Looking at the pics in the Review, where did the trans red/orange masks come from?  I know where the plain clear ones came from, as I got one on ebay.  But I'm rather curious about those.  I hope they make masks a collectible again!

DeeVee got them for getting involved in some way with the new Bionicle launch. 

This was the main Bionicle 2015 BZP review that I was waiting for. I'm really glad that Gen 2 Tahu lives up to the hype! :)

I love the look of his color scheme. His Hau Masks also look great, though I still prefer the original a little. (You can blame nostalgia for that. :P) If there was only one set I would definitely get out of Bionicle's return, it is this one for sure.

Thanks for the review!

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

He's going to be the first set I get, just like back in 01. Love his build and am okay with the new mask, through I still prefer the original leaked image mask but no worries, I'm liking it more and more since I got the clear version and could actually get a first hand look at it.

Don't like the bulky torso-armor on the legs as much, but regardless can't wait to get him. Totally worth the $20

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

At first I wasn't a fan of his new Mask of Fire, but now I think it really goes well with his build. His golden Mask of Fire also looks really cool while being worn, as shown in the slideshow at the end of the review. 

Because my first Toa set was Tahu Nuva, I'll probably build this one first. Anyway, thanks for the review.

The pics look a bit oversaturated in my opinion but you definitely knew how to pose Tahu to make him look really cool. He's still not a favourite but he's a worthy reincarnation. I'm really, really fond of those blades on the back, that's a great idea that gives Tahu a lot of character. That pic with the transparent Hau is really sweet, by the way. :D Thanks a lot for the great review!

Edited by Gatanui
  • Upvote 2

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

There was something about those original Bionicle sets that gave them an exotic and other-worldy feel. Newer sets don't have that aura - they have more of a Michael Bay look.

That being said, this Tahu looks impressive, just in a different way than the old sets.

Thanks for the review!

• Upvote 1

Good review and great photos. The Tahu set is actually one of my least favorite of the new Toa, but your review really helps me appreciate his design! My biggest gripe is the size of his upper legs — they feel kind of thin. Some more armor on the back of his legs could also have been nice, but I can see how with six of the gold piston add-ons and three 8x5 torso shells, adding armor to the back of his legs might have gone over budget. It's an extremely simple mod in any case, I think — just use a pair of 3M Technic beams with center ball to attach some 5M shells to the back of the legs.

Interestingly, the new Tahu has almost the same proportions as a Toa Inika, but with a smaller head and less ridiculously oversized arms. I'm not a huge fan of his ankles, but i can see why they were done the way that they were. Some people have complained about the silver hands and feet, but to be honest I really like them.

Regarding the light-piping in the eyes, yet again it makes me wish the blue-eyed Toa and Protectors had used Transparent Fluorescent Blue (Bricklink's Trans-Medium Blue) rather than Transparent Light Blue. The color's still in production, and the only reason I can think that the LEGO Group would use Transparent Light Blue instead is that Transparent Light Blue better matches various CCBS parts already in production. Still, fluorescent eye colors are actually a more important aspect of the classic sets to me than the different eye colors for each character, and it's a shame not to take full advantage of those which are still on the palette.

Tahu is still one of the weaker Toa in terms of price-per-piece, with just two more parts than Gali for five dollars more. However, I still think he offers a pretty good value for money, and a better price per piece than some classic BIONICLE canister sets.

• Upvote 3

I'm just disappointed by the transparent bits, that particular color has always looked absolutely hideous to me; it would suit Tahu a lot better if the orange was more orange than red. Other than the awkward flat bellbottoms, he looks fantastic! I'd love to get my hands on a trans-orange Hau cause it really ties the color scheme together.

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

I'm just disappointed by the transparent bits, that particular color has always looked absolutely hideous to me; it would suit Tahu a lot better if the orange was more orange than red. Other than the awkward flat bellbottoms, he looks fantastic! I'd love to get my hands on a trans-orange Hau cause it really ties the color scheme together.

Wait, you dislike the Transparent Orange parts but you want the Hau in that color so you could add MORE of it? I'm confused.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Wait, you dislike the Transparent Orange parts but you want the Hau in that color so you could add MORE of it? I'm confused.

Well if it's there, may as well go all the way with it. Sure would be lovely if they were all more like the trans orange used in the Jaller Inika set, though.

Edited by Pomegranate

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Ah, Tahu our dear 'ol pal! Welcome back!  :D Even with his fresh new looks, he certainly look very familiar!

His mask certainly harkens back to the classic Hau  :happydance:Glad this review showed us the alternative colors for the new Mask of Fire, the trans-orange looks neat! Not sure why they went for transparent blue for his eye color though... looks rather odd for someone like Tahu. 

Since I originally had no idea where Tahu keep his smaller golden blades when not in use, I was a bit surprised and thrilled to see how those swords are stored on his back sorta give him a pair of "mini-wings". He looks MAJESTIC in that appearance!  B-) Nice little touch there. To see the return of his dual-blade-formed lava surfboard makes me go  :happydance:  :happydance:  :happydance: (again, no words can describe my feelings here)

I realized I haven't commented on the Skull spiders so far. I like that they are tiny (composed of few pieces) yet they also serve the function of acting as additional "masks" for the Toa, plus providing some conflict-in-one-box. This is just one of various points (other points including the mask-popping, gear axle feature and the mask designs) where I think the 2015 Toa sets show how much care and thoughts the set designers put into the new generation of Bionicle sets. Thank you LEGO!  :D 

Now two minor points:

(1) Why does the back of the package make no mention that Tahu's twin silver blades can combine into his surfboard, even though the front cover makes that rather obvious?

(2) LOL I only realized just now that the main Toa tools of Tahu and Kopaka use the same pieces, albeit colored differently.The same with Lewa's tools vs Gali's tools. Wonder if this is a let-down?

Nonetheless, I am sure many will agree with me that Gen 2 Tahu is an awesome set! A fitting leader of Toa Otoko / Toa Mata Reborn!

Edited by Tahtorak ate my house!

Your left brain contains nothing right, while your right brain contains nothing left.

Well this was a very thorough and enjoyable review. :)

Tahu will stil undeniably be my first Toa once again. Everything about this set still looks great - yeah, the cons here don't really seem all that bad. This is an excellent set in all regards in my opinion and I can't wait to own one.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

The original Tahu was my first set too, I think the new Tahu looks amazing, wicked awesome actually. Digging the blades on his back, his lava-swords and over all look and I think its a really cool play feature they include the gold and normal mask which both look great on him.

If I'm going to buy any of the new sets its this one for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Tahu's design looks epic and awesome! His blades look cool, including the fact that you can turn his silver ones into a surfboard. Tahu is like a combination of 2001 Tahu, 2002 Tahu Nuva, and Toa Lhikan: his mask looks like the 2001 Tahu's Hau, and the fact that he can turn his silver swords into a lava surfboard reminds me of 2002 Tahu Nuva and Toa Lhikan. Man, these are classic! So much nostalgia.:)

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I have just one question. I know that the clear mask of fire was available at Comic Con, but where was the trans-orange mask of fire available? I've never seen it before.

It was given out to certain people for helping with the re-launch of Bionicle.

Ah, that's pretty cool. Another mask I'll never own. Oh well.

• Upvote 2

>tfw you have no idea what to put here