If we were to give a story role to every promotional set besides GGG..

TommyG

...What would they be? Here are some ideas I have:

Kraatu - A Gafna or Hydruka of some sort.

Good Guy - The maskless version of the Ta-Matoran that saved Hahli in the first 2007 comic. He's red, a similar build, and not only is he holding a fire weapon, he also has a weapon in the set image that looks kind of like his right hand.

6934-1.jpg

Comic_Toa_Inika_Jaller_With_Dead_Mahri_N

Bad Guys - Skakdi Nightmares like Irnakk.

QUICK Bad Guys - Alternate Rahaga of some kind.

QUICK Good Guys - Hypothetical Matoran Hordika (which may have been said to potentially exist by Greg?)

07 Good Guy - A Matoran of some kind

08 Good Guy - Nidhiki as a Matoran.

08 Bad Guy - A Fenrakk Spider of some kind.

What are your ideas?

Pre-forums purge sig kept for historical purposes:

Some cool Bionicles are the combiners. Example: Toa Jovan

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=309724

...What would they be? Here are some ideas I have:

Kraatu - A Gafna or Hydruka of some sort.

Good Guy - The maskless version of the Ta-Matoran that saved Hahli in the first 2007 comic. He's red, a similar build, and not only is he holding a fire weapon, he also has a weapon in the set image that looks kind of like his right hand.

6934-1.jpg

Comic_Toa_Inika_Jaller_With_Dead_Mahri_N

Bad Guys - Skakdi Nightmares like Irnakk.

QUICK Bad Guys - Alternate Rahaga of some kind.

QUICK Good Guys - Hypothetical Matoran Hordika (which may have been said to potentially exist by Greg?)

07 Good Guy - A Matoran of some kind

08 Good Guy - Nidhiki as a Matoran.

08 Bad Guy - A Fenrakk Spider of some kind.

What are your ideas?

Good Guy really was a hero... he sacrificed his life (and his right arm) to save Toa Hahli! :o  :P

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Kraatu is already a thing, I think it was like puppets used by the Matoran or something.

I already gave a story behind Duracell Bad Guy and Co. in my BFTGM entry, Omega Bad Guy. I also further expanded upon it in my entry Exo-Skakdi, which gives the story behind the promotional Nestle set, White Piraka. (Links In Description).

Yeah, Greg said Matoran Hordika exist (I only asked that so one of my old MOCs could be technically canon :P), but they don't look a whole lot like Matoran...

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I've heard the whole "they're puppets" reasoning before, I just wonder if it was canon or not.

Edited by TomRoid

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

I'm one of the few people who would actually be all for canonizing these sets (which is why I wasn't too against Turaga Lhikan's recent canonized set form). It bugs me when sets remain uncanonized, even alternate models like the Bahrag Spider and Exo Raptor. Always so much potential (as you members are proving).

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

I'm one of the few people who would actually be all for canonizing these sets (which is why I wasn't too against Turaga Lhikan's recent canonized set form). It bugs me when sets remain uncanonized, even alternate models like the Bahrag Spider and Exo Raptor. Always so much potential (as you members are proving).

-NotS

Yeah, I've asked Greg about them and what they could be, but he said he had no plans to canonize every promotional set ever  :P He also said that if a set already had a name and identity he wasn't going to canonise it as something else, and on some talk of what the Squid Launcher Function could be, he said he wasn't very familiar with it.

I've heard the whole "they're puppets" reasoning before, I just wonder if it was canon or not.

"They're all puppets... tangled in... strings..."

I've heard that as well... I'll take that as canon unless stated otherwise.

Personally, I don't think every promotional set needs to be canonized. I feel like there's so many that it would add to the clutter of characters we already have. But that's my opinion.

arghh.png

Fandom, this is why we can't have good things.

• Upvote 5

while i'm not a big fan of canonize-everything, and though i usually consider promotional sets too odd or disjointed to fit somewhere,

i suppose i'll throw out my bit though:

that one time i got an idea of what a promotional could rationalise down to.

*shrugs* they're good worldbuilding, anyway. especially the nonhumanoids. :0

• Upvote 1

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

while i'm not a big fan of canonize-everything, and though i usually consider promotional sets too odd or disjointed to fit somewhere,

i suppose i'll throw out my bit though:

that one time i got an idea of what a promotional could rationalise down to.

*shrugs* they're good worldbuilding, anyway. especially the nonhumanoids. :0

I always thought it was a hunting bird used by Av-Matoran falconers (if they existed...let's assume they do...). 

Anyway, if 6946 Squid Launcher Function was canonized, I believe that it would be a naturally-made creature that had a symbiotic relationship with the sea squid. Kalmah, being the animal abuser that he is, removed the launchers from the crabs and turned them into weapons. 

Not too unrealistic, right? 

Edited by The Irrational Rock

bZpOwEr

I don't think canonizing these small sets as puppets, minor Rahi etc. is such a big deal. Doesn't change anything really, no one will be angry about the additions (unless Good Guy turns out to be Turaga Jovan or something).

-NotS

Funny, I actually had that idea a while back. Then I thought about how I could change it to look more like him.

This looks kind of like the red good guy's mask:

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?colorID=59&itemID=78570

Wow, it does. I was just thinking of using the incorrect Kiril or Antroz's flight form mask.

The Ta Matoran that Hahli saved was from Mahri Nui. He would have the same build as Defilak and Dekar, which you can kind of see in the comic panel (less a little artistic license)

mahri_matoran_small.jpeg

I always took that good guy to be Dezalk without a mask.

the 08 good guy would be a good inspiration for an av matoran, but I'd rebuild him to match the canon ones. As is, he'd make a good karzahni matoran.

Nidhiki is much more likey to be the metru build.

quick good guy red and quick good guy white would be good karzahni/voya nui matoran

So would good guy 07, but maybe he's a rebuild av-matoran, since he has a weird coour scheme.

Edited by Takhamavahu

The Ta Matoran that Hahli saved was from Mahri Nui. He would have the same build as Defilak and Dekar, which you can kind of see in the comic panel (less a little artistic license)

mahri_matoran_small.jpeg

the 08 good guy would be a good inspiration for an av matoran, but I'd rebuild him to match the canon ones. As is, he'd make a good karzahni matoran.

quick good guy red and quick good guy white would be good karzahni/voya nui matoran

So would good guy 07, but maybe he's a rebuild av-matoran, since he has a weird coour scheme.

Oh yeah, you've got me there.  :D  I think I might MOC myself that Matoran actually.

I've heard on the LEGO wikias that Greg Farshtey indeed suggested that the Kraatu could have been a puppet the Matoran of Metru Nui used for recreation. As for '06 Good Guy and Orange Piraka Bad Guy, there's this old news report that states:

"We were all wondering who these guys are and what their role in the story is. The official word is that these sets are an exclusive European promo and were not passed by Greg for inclusion in the Bionicle mythos. So the official stance is 'imagine they are puppets in a show the Matoran are putting on,' as Swiftone puts it."

And we can practically add in the other Piraka Bad Guy of that year too, since they're essentially the same set. Was there anything else said on the puppetry here?

Do you think, just for fun, '08 Good Guy could be the Matoran version of Lesovikk?

mahri_matoran_small.jpeg

Oh yeah, you've got me there.  :D  I think I might MOC myself that Matoran actually.

I've heard on the LEGO wikias that Greg Farshtey indeed suggested that the Kraatu could have been a puppet the Matoran of Metru Nui used for recreation. As for '06 Good Guy and Orange Piraka Bad Guy, there's this old news report that states:

"We were all wondering who these guys are and what their role in the story is. The official word is that these sets are an exclusive European promo and were not passed by Greg for inclusion in the Bionicle mythos. So the official stance is 'imagine they are puppets in a show the Matoran are putting on,' as Swiftone puts it."

And we can practically add in the other Piraka Bad Guy of that year too, since they're essentially the same set. Was there anything else said on the puppetry here?

Do you think, just for fun, '08 Good Guy could be the Matoran version of Lesovikk?

'08 Good Guy could also be Matoran Nidhiki. :P And I can see the Bad Guys as puppets. That would make sense. :P

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

mahri_matoran_small.jpeg

'08 Good Guy could also be Matoran Nidhiki. :P And I can see the Bad Guys as puppets. That would make sense. :P

Would you say the builds these sets have make them look "puppet-ish"?

mahri_matoran_small.jpeg

Would you say the builds these sets have make them look "puppet-ish"?

Most of the ones like Good Guy, Disney Bad Guy, & Duracell Bad Guy seem a lot like puppets, but others like Gold Good Guy (Who is know Turaga Lhikan thanks to me.:P) seem more like actual characters.

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

The canonizing that Matoran's mask as something other than a Kiril bugged me. The frontal shot of it is clearly a Kiril.

-NotS

That may have just been a mistake, but the side view is clearly very different than that of a Kiril.

oh yeah. That's Stuart Sayger. It's definitely a kiril from one angle, but totally different from the side. He was like that.

I guess we should default to that that matoran would canonically have a kiril, but I still like the other mask as an unknown design.

• Upvote 1

I've got an idea: the suggestion was that the Kraatu was a puppet of the Metru Nui Matoran for recreation, and another one was that the '06 Good Guy and Disney Bad Guy were puppets the Matoran were using for a show. Considering the later two come from 2006, where the Matoran are currently in Metru Nui, could it be assumed all the puppets come from Metru Nui, one time period or another?

EDIT: Idea! Kraatu represents the Rahi, Bad Guy represents Teridax and Good Guy represents either Mata Nui or the Toa!

Edited by TomRoid