Bionicle 2001 Movie Project

Zeb

LEGO BIONICLE: Tales of the Toa

A project to make a fully complete movie telling the 2001 Bionicle story

(Name is not final, feel free to suggest a different name for the movie.)

I've seen several compilations of Bionicle media to make up the 2001 story, but I've never seen one that manages to tell the story in a fully complete way that explains stuff to newer fans. I'm planning to make a 2001 movie comprised of all the official videos I can find (maybe even some fan-made videos) to make a 2001 Bionicle movie that is complete and will tell the story in a way that new fans will be able to enjoy without seeing any prior Bionicle media.

The main problem with 2001 is that there is no single source of the whole story in video format. The main formats of media I have to work with are:

• The Mata Nui Online Game cutscenes & gameplay footage
  • The unreleased PC game, Legend of Mata Nui, cutscenes
  • Clips & scenes from Bionicle.com and the mini-CDs

In order to try and explain the story and make it more movie-like, I will be narrating & voicing all the characters. And when 2 forms of the same scene clash, I will typically choose the MNOG version as it tends to be more detailed and also includes dialogue. Some scenes will mix both together, such as the MNOG & LoMN Toa Kaita scenes.

And so a project like this becomes pretty confusing and difficult. So I need your help. I need to figure out what the best way to put all the videos together is. My goal is to combine the Takua perspective of the 2001 story with the Toa perspective of the story into one big movie, and I'm not sure how to do it. Please feel free to give your ideas on how I should approach this. Anyone have any ideas for the order of the scenes and videos I should use? I'll release a rough cut/draft of the movie after a while.

Here's my current rough idea of the scenes I'll use. Note that I will probably use the original order of the MNOG events in which Ta-Koro is shown first. (The official MNOG walkthrough released in 2006 has the Ga-Koro part of the story come before the Ta-Koro part.)

1. MNOG Legend of Mata Nui & Makuta cutscene
  2. LoMN Canisters landing in ocean cutscene
  3. LoMN Onua Canister scene
  4. Tahu Canister scene
  5. Vakama finds Tahu's Canister scene
  6. ??? Some way to introduce Takua into the story. Perhaps the beginning moments of MNOG leading into...
  7. MNOG Tahu gazes at you cutscene
  8. MNOG Tahu & the Ta-Koro Guard cutscene
  9. ???
  10. MNOG Tarakava attacks cutscene
  11. ???
  12. MNOG Gali vs. Tarakava cutscene
  13. ??? (Beyond this point is only a very rough outline...)
  14. Po-Koro Koli balls story
  15. Onu-Koro mine story
  16. Le-Koro Nui-Rama story
  17. Ko-Koro story
  18. Chronicler's Company cutscenes
  19. MNOG Toa enter Kini-Nui cutscene
  20. Some scenes of the MNOG Rahi battle minigame
  21. MNOG Toa Kaita cutscenes.
  22. MNOG Battle at Kini-Nui cutscene
  23. MNOG Toa Kaita fall apart cutscene
  24. MNOG Takua returns to Onu-Koro story
  25. MNOG Takua descends into Mangaia cutscene
  26. MNOG Toa vs. Makuta + Takua finds the Bohrok nest cutscene
  27. MNOG Vakama talks to Takua cutscene
  28. The end + Bohrok twist ending

I may cut out or merge a lot of the MNOG actual gameplay stuff, but I'll have to find a way to keep the vital parts of the story, like Takua receiving the Po-Koro chisel. I'm also going to insert the 2001 Toa character videos into there somewhere. As you can tell, this won't be easy, so please feel free to give feedback on what you think I should do.

PROGRESS: All MNOG cutscenes have been converted to 1080p HD .mp4 format. Some need to be redone to fix errors, however. Working on cropping the LoMN cutscenes.

UPDATE 11-18-2014: Check out this preview of how HD the MNOG cutscenes will be!

UPDATE 11-19-2014: I've cleaned up the main post to make it shorter and more up-to-date with the current status of the project.

Questions? Feedback? Anything? Feel free to comment & contribute! If this project succeeds I might go on to compile the 2002 Bohrok story together as a mini-project, though that will most definitely require stop-motion if I want to do the scene where the Toa fight the Bahrag in the Exo-Toa, so it's unlikely..

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator
  • Upvote 3

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Well, the .swf to .mp4 video conversion is going fairly well. It's not perfect and it's not incredibly easy, but so far things are looking good. The movie's resolution will be 1080x720, in order to get the most out of the MNOG cutscenes, which will probably end up being the most HD parts of the whole thing. Also, I've been wondering what I should call this movie... which do you think would be best?

1. Bionicle: Tale of the Toa
  2. Bionicle: Takua and the Toa
  3. Bionicle: Legend of the Toa

Also, I will be narrating & voicing all the characters, so you won't have to look at the bottom of the screen to see what the characters are saying. Also, this movie will not necessarily follow the strict official canon. If something contradicts with an event portrayed with MNOG, I will probably choose the MNOG version over any other, as it tends to be more complete and detailed than any other version of the 2001 story. For example, there are 3 different versions of the scene where the Toa meet at the Kini-Nui: the TV commercial/Power Pack version, the LoMN PC game version, and the MNOG version. The MNOG version, while 2D, is the longest and most detailed & informative of the 3 versions, and is the only version to include dialogue and interaction with the Chronicler's Company. As for the Toa Kaita forming & Manas fight, I might mix footage from both together if it ends up looking good, because the LoMN Toa Kaita scene is really cool.

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Tale of the Toa. Takua and the Toa just sounds kind of... off. Tale of the Toa has a nice ring, plus it has been used before and people will flock to what they know.

The only problem would be the drastic art style changes but considering you don't have much to go on, I don't blame you. Good luck!

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg

You may want to get some cutscenes from the GBA game too. The final cutscene of the game is pre-MNOG.

Ooh, forgot about that one. I'm not sure if it would fit in, though, at is is extremely low-definition and is mostly just a series of images. I'll think about it...

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

You may want to get some cutscenes from the GBA game too. The final cutscene of the game is pre-MNOG.

Ooh, forgot about that one. I'm not sure if it would fit in, though, at is is extremely low-definition and is mostly just a series of images. I'll think about it...

You could always just make the outro to the game the intro to the movie... just fade in and out. You could also try to vectorize the image and work from there. :)

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

You could always just make the outro to the game the intro to the movie... just fade in and out. You could also try to vectorize the image and work from there. :)

-NotS

Wait, vectorize the images? Hmmm. I have no idea how to do that, but I might soon. Also, if I'm going to include that in the movie, it will probably end up getting cut into 2 parts, as the end of the scene shows Takua looking at Tahu's canister, which leads directly into the start of MNOG. I will probably insert the Onua LoMN canister scene & Tahu canister scene after Takua lands on the beach but before he awakens.

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

-NotS

Wait, vectorize the images? Hmmm. I have no idea how to do that, but I might soon. Also, if I'm going to include that in the movie, it will probably end up getting cut into 2 parts, as the end of the scene shows Takua looking at Tahu's canister, which leads directly into the start of MNOG. I will probably insert the Onua LoMN canister scene & Tahu canister scene after Takua lands on the beach but before he awakens.

Makes sense. I'm guessing this is how you will do it: just show him hitting the sand and then go to the Onua scene. Then, cut to Tahu, the last scene of QftT and then MNOG starts. Am I correct? It should look pretty cohesive. You could add some clips from the intro of Quest for the Toa as well.

Also vectorizing has some curve to it, but if you have adobe Illustrator or even Photoshop you could probably pull it off. :)

And you are adding sound effects and new music, correct? 

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

-NotS

Makes sense. I'm guessing this is how you will do it: just show him hitting the sand and then go to the Onua scene. Then, cut to Tahu, the last scene of QftT and then MNOG starts. Am I correct? It should look pretty cohesive. You could add some clips from the intro of Quest for the Toa as well.

Also vectorizing has some curve to it, but if you have adobe Illustrator or even Photoshop you could probably pull it off. :)

And you are adding sound effects and new music, correct? 

-NotS

Yep, that's about the order it will be done in. And I've been trying out the vectorizing, and unless I decide to buy proffesional software, it isn't going to be easy finding a way of doing it right. I do have a free photo-editing program called paint.net, and I might be able to use it instead of Photoshop...

And as for sound effects and music, once I've finished a rough draft of the movie with all the scenes and finished the narration & dialogue, I will use Bionicle music wherever appropriate, and also throw in sound effects whenever something looks like it should make a noise.

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

UPDATE!!!

Here's a sneak preview of how HD the MNOG cutscenes will look in the movie! :happydance: (Make sure to turn the resolution up to 1080p!)

As for the little logo on the top left, that's due to me using a free version of a .swf-to-regular-video software. The limitations cause a logo to placed on the top left of the video. Luckily enough, the MNOG flash animations are in a sort of cinemascope style, so the logo is placed on the black space, meaning it can be removed from the video with ease.

Enjoy watching one of my favorite cutscenes is glorious high-definition! :P (Too bad the software and probably also my computer's memory card can't do the cutscenes in Ultra-High-Definition (UHD) 3840p by 2160p, which is 4 times more HD, and since the flash animations use vectors, theoretically you could make them even more HD. :br:

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

God, YouTube compresses the video so much... how depressing.

Trying to find a half-decent program to record SWFs to video is like trying to find a working DVD in a garbage landfill. Only one out of 50 you find works well, and even then there's hideous video glitches everywhere.

I learned a looong time ago to not waste time with those programs that give you a demo version or whatever... half of the time they don't work and by then your trial is up. I use Swivel for all my SWF to video needs. That program is awesome. You can choose how many kbps you want to pump into the video, customize start/stop times, and it's user-friendly in general. No sick watermark smeared across the screen, either.

Honestly, the watermark isn't too noticeable in your video, but if you want the video to look a smidgen better you can try Swivel.

God, YouTube compresses the video so much... how depressing.

Trying to find a half-decent program to record SWFs to video is like trying to find a working DVD in a garbage landfill. Only one out of 50 you find works well, and even then there's hideous video glitches everywhere.

I learned a looong time ago to not waste time with those programs that give you a demo version or whatever... half of the time they don't work and by then your trial is up. I use Swivel for all my SWF to video needs. That program is awesome. You can choose how many kbps you want to pump into the video, customize start/stop times, and it's user-friendly in general. No sick watermark smeared across the screen, either.

Honestly, the watermark isn't too noticeable in your video, but if you want the video to look a smidgen better you can try Swivel.

I think you might want to adjust the quality on the video, because when I set it 1080p, it looks fine to me. And yeah, I've been having a few problems with some of the cutscenes, especially the Kopaka VS. Muaka cutscene and the other particularly long ones that seem to be more CPU-intensive. The one I have, iWisoft, has been working ok, and allows me to select up to 8000kpbs & 1080p HD, but if it this program is as good as you say it is, then I'll be able to move onto the actual video editing and splicing sooner than I was planning! (And if this program allows it, maybe even turn the videos into ULTRA-HD...) Thank you for telling me about that program! :D

EDIT: Hmmm. It isn't capturing the sound quality as well as iWisoft, but the video quality is better. Also, the text dialogue doesn't work with this program. A lot of the text dialogue is showing up as "TEXT 1". I've set it to the highest audio settings, but it seems to just not be able to convert the sound correctly.

EDIT 2: Yep, the audio quality is worse on Swivel. Look at this comparison, and make sure to turn up the resolution to 1080p...

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.