Set Review: 70778 Protector of Jungle

70778_Protector_of_Jungle_Review_teaser.

It's time again for another Bionicle 2015 review! Today BZPower Forum Assistant Sisen shares his thoughts on another one of the smaller sets - 70778 Protector of Jungle. How does this little guy stack up to the other protectors that we've looked at so far? Should you add him to your wishlist or wait for a clearance sale? Read on to find out!

View the full article

• Upvote 6

I'm curious about the inconsistency of Protectors having back armor- but I am certainly glad this one has it. The set looks great, I love the colors, and I don't recall seeing a bow as a weapon theme in a Bionicle set before. I like how it has extra decorations on its feet like the Protector of stone, that's a nice commonality. I think this guy is gonna be high on my to-get list, love it.

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Good review! The Protector of Jungle is one of my favorite Protector sets. He has an exciting color scheme, some formidable armor, and an awesome weapon that makes for all kinds of dynamic poses.

I'm curious about the inconsistency of Protectors having back armor- but I am certainly glad this one has it. The set looks great, I love the colors, and I don't recall seeing a bow as a weapon theme in a Bionicle set before. I like how it has extra decorations on its feet like the Protector of stone, that's a nice commonality. I think this guy is gonna be high on my to-get list, love it.

Toa Inika Kongu had a Laser Crossbow, but that's the main example I can think of.

I'm very disappointed that this set has trans-bright green shells instead of the opaque lighter green on Lewa. As that is one of the three new constraction cladding colors (or almost new, as the Green Lantern was very easy to miss), I was really hoping to get more of it from a Protector.

Otherwise though, the set does look neat overall, as most of the Protectors do.

~B~

I'm very disappointed that this set has trans-bright green shells instead of the opaque lighter green on Lewa. As that is one of the three new constraction cladding colors (or almost new, as the Green Lantern was very easy to miss), I was really hoping to get more of it from a Protector.

~B~

I feel like that would have been a good choice for replacing the silver bits. However, I think it could still be too much color. While I do enjoy the trans-bright green, it does lack in actual color. On the upside Lewa does come with enough of the armor pieces that you can swap them out. 

DSC_0602_zpsc6524e93.jpg

• Upvote 4

bzprovince_zps0d5d507a.png

If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don’t fight, you can’t win!

On the upside Lewa does come with enough of the armor pieces that you can swap them out.

Well, the hope would have been to have obtained double the amount for MOCing in the first place. :P

Thanks for providing that image though! I think the opaque light green definitely looks better. And trans-bright green was also common as a cladding in Hero Factory, especially (maybe exclusively?) in that same size, so some more variety would've been good.

~B~

Edited by Ballom
  • Upvote 1

~B~

I feel like that would have been a good choice for replacing the silver bits. However, I think it could still be too much color. While I do enjoy the trans-bright green, it does lack in actual color. On the upside Lewa does come with enough of the armor pieces that you can swap them out. 

[image linked for space-saving reasons]

I feel like that makes the trans color on the mask stand out too much. Maybe if the ones on the arms were translucent and the ones on the legs were opaque? idk, maybe that would look weird too, but having all four shells one color or the other makes the other color underrepresented.

This is probably one of my favorite Protector sets that have been reviewed so far. I like the color scheme on it, it has back armor :), and its weapon is really cool. It might be one of the few Protector sets that I pick up when the sets are put on sale.

Thanks for the review!

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I think I prefer the trans-neon green over the green, although it would be great to get more of those shells. There's something about the color that gives him so much more energy. In fact, I really like the color scheme on this guy. I was a bit hesitant at first with such a big change, but this little guy pulls it off well. I love the bow design too. The blue in the bow is an odd choice, but it looks okay. This will probably be my first Protector if you don't sell me on the Protector of Earth. :D

The more I look at these reviews... the more I want to buy every single new set. Why is every set turning out to be even cooler than I thought? :P (Not saying that's a bad thing, but how am I going to choose which Protector and how many to buy... not to mention the Toa...)

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

~B~

[image linked for space-saving reasons]

I feel like that makes the trans color on the mask stand out too much. Maybe if the ones on the arms were translucent and the ones on the legs were opaque? idk, maybe that would look weird too, but having all four shells one color or the other makes the other color underrepresented.

I was half tempted to leave the translucent piece under the silver shoulder armor.  It actually looked nice.

bzprovince_zps0d5d507a.png

If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don’t fight, you can’t win!

Wonderful color scheme that looks great and brings to mind the jungle impression, as the Keetongu orange works really well with the green. Haven't been this excited about the color scheme of a "green-themed set" in a long while!

The root feet-attachments and "huge gattling bow" as the choice of weapon are quite neat too.

Your left brain contains nothing right, while your right brain contains nothing left.

Cool set! The Protector of Jungle has a nice weapon (if not a little too big, as addressed in the review); really digging the weapons of the Protectors in general, and the colour scheme is really good. Bright green and keetorange is actually a really nice combo. Love the trans green on the mask too, looks really good with the bright green. Not a big fan of the unarmoured lower-legs but a small complaint. Pretty nifty little bugger.

Thanks for the review!

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

The masks look so much better in these reviews than they do on the boxes.

I absolutely adore this color scheme, even the silver - everything goes together perfectly, and the yellow/mata green looks so much better than metru green in my opinion. Metru green looked kind of...rotten, I guess. And the yellow makes him look like he belongs in the jungle.

On the comic, I noticed there's a red Skull Spider. That would've been an awesome fourth color!

Thank you for the review.

IetTsFQ.png

I wanna see a Heavyarms MoC now.  Get on it, peoples.  :P

• Upvote 1

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

Usually not a huge fan of green and yellow together - but this is one of those instances where it works pretty well I think. i would probably say a nay on the silver - but overall this guy seems really cool - especially the weapon! The protector's are actually quite impressive I think.

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

The picture review was great as usual but the use of vertical video made the video review a little annoying to watch and prevented seeing more of the set sometimes. The commentary and quality for the video was good but the video format (aspect ratio) and editing (the title card and the text added in post) were lacking a bit.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, might be too much yellow on him (*GASP*). Some regular green armor or feet instead of the silver it has might have helped.

That crossbow definitely looks cool though. As does the Protector mask still. Definitely appreciating the unique flair all of the little guys have.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

I absolutely adore this color scheme, even the silver - everything goes together perfectly, and the yellow/mata green looks so much better than metru green in my opinion.

I ought to clarify that none of the new sets use Mata Green (officially, Dark Green). Instead, the Protector of Jungle and Lewa Master of Jungle use Bright Green, which is a shade lighter than Mata Green. It's previously appeared in only two constraction sets: Green Lantern and The Joker. So it won't match any of your classic BIONICLE parts.
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

This set looks quite epic. I like his crossbow. It does his jungle type very well. It looks better with that stud machine gun, too.:)

Anyway, his feet reminds me of Hero Factory's Aquagon from last year, 2013, but they do match the Protector's jungle type as well.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Probably my second favorite of the Protectors, with number one (obviously) going to Whenu-uh...Protector of Earth! Yeah. Totally what I meant.

Personally, I actually like the transgreen. It kinda gives off this light foliage feel, as if the armor is made of a layer of leaves that you can see light coming through. Plus it compliments the mask very well. Good job TLG!

Currently Working On: City of the Fallen - Character Building and Script Writing

To Do: City of the Fallen - Voice Acting and Animation, Deathmatch - Character Building and Script Writing

"Wherever you go, you had better be looking over your shoulder - because one day I will be there. And I promise you it will be the last thing you will ever see."
— Lesovikk to Karzahni, Dreams of Destruction