Bionicle Generation 1 Misconceptions -- Discussion Topic

• 2 months later...

I asked Greg is the Mahiki actually allows you to shapeshift. He said no.

Also, your post about robots mentioned that Nuparu theorized the Bohrok were once Matoran. I don't recall this, but I do recall Mavrah theorizing they were once living, at least partially organic beings. (See here).

Also, about the "Mata Nui wakes up at the end of Mask of Light" thing, didn't Vakama say something like "The time to awaken the Great Spirit has come?" If so, that's actual blatant dialog providing a misconception.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

• 4 months later...

I'm surprised no one else here thinks of Bionicle as a mythopoeia.

Psh, I do. It's got it's own religious philosophies (most of which were disappointingly de-canonized), lots of history and legends, as well as mythological archetypes about rivalry, jealousy, sacrifice, and redemption.

I guess the reason why many don't is because most of the characters that make it up are light-weight, not carrying the full capacity of character depth like most stories considered mythopoeias do. Another reason is that it is published by Lego, a company that sells toys mostly to children, as well as the shallow commercials and lackluster movies; all of those things probably give Bionicle a bad surface-level taste. However, if one were to simply remove the sand from the pit, one is sure to find a treasure of some sort, never-mind it's size.

My deep investment into Bionicle's lore as a child and early teens actually convinced my mother that I had been following it as a religion. I knew better then that, but I can kind of see her point.  Surely a title such as a mythopoeia (as light as it may be in certain areas) would befit something that has had the full interest of one that has always studied academic things (thus seeking truths about the universe) and has partially influenced his view on life? A mythopoeia (more specifically a mythology), as explained by Tolkien himself, is supposed to give illusory reflections about certain truths in the world, that which Bionicle did (again, in a certain light weight as the toys were supposed to sell to the ignorant innocence that children bare while respecting their mental capabilities).

Edited by Iaredios Paerkenon
  • Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

• 2 weeks later...

Whelp. Okay, how''s these few misconceptions?

1. Matoran eat through their mouths. (Nope, it's the hands! Mouths are for piraka.)

2. Matoran heartlights pump blood. (Nope, it's lubricant)

3. Rahi don't reproduce. (New 'uns get churned out by makuta)

4. Matoran don't kill and eat Rahi. (so... plants?)

5. Toa can't kill. (Refer to BS01's toa page. The code seems a little flexible in pressing situations)

Most of these come from random Farshtey quotes I encountered last month while trawling the archives, so I apologise for not adding sources to them.

• Upvote 1

wake_up_sheeple.png

• 4 months later...

Sweet; I dig it! Thanks for clearing up a lot of the Bionicle misconceptions out there! I learned a lot and this changes my perspective on Bionicle.

Edited by Azon
  • Upvote 1

Gleaming glistens The Red Star,
Bringing life to death afar,
Up away in deepest space,
You call me from your distant place.

Proud member of the Kanohi Force (Disavowed, but never dead)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

These two posts were added to the misconceptions topic itself; moved here. :)

Sweet; I dig it! Thanks for clearing up a lot of the Bionicle misconceptions out there! I learned a lot and this changes my perspective on Bionicle.

Another misconception that could be addressed is the idea that Mata Nui and Metru Nui are two different islands. Actually, this is something I don't fully understand either. :???: I guess one's above the other or something?

Mata Nui Island was a camouflage layer on top of the face of the giant, Mata Nui himself, which was laying on its back on the ocean planet, Aqua Magna. Metru Nui was an island in the Silver Sea, which is inside a dome and that in turn is inside the head of the giant. They are indeed different islands, technically -- but not in the same ocean. And Metru Nui could be seen as inside Mata Nui Island, so sort of an island inside an island.

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)