What is your first Bionicle related memory?

MetroidwaveX50

Exactly what the title makes it out to be.

My first memory is at legoland California in the summer of 2001. I remember a huge room where one wall was dominated by a massive Hau. One of my friends bought a tahu set.

• Upvote 1

Did you go to the 2002 'The Power Lies Beneath' tour?

If yes, PM me. I'm looking for something that was only distributed during that tour.

It was early January, and my family was at my grandparents' house to celebrate Christmas (my family often does this to save money and wait until everyone has returned home, not to mention my grandma's birthday is in early-mid Jan so we can combine that onthe same day too). It was my turn to open my present. I had just gotten a translucent purple Gameboy Color and a 'Power Puff Girls' game for it (I loved that show >.>), so I thought it couldn't get ant better. I unwrapped my gift, and on a plastic caniater with a skull on top, and I turned the side towards my face and I see a black robot with black claws in a cave. He had a hunch that was topped with a cool black face and green light shining from his eyes. I thought it was just awesome. Did it end their? No. It wasn't just an action figure, it a bunch of parts and a little book and CD. I put him together, and I held it in my hands in awe as to what, and who I just created, this, Onua. A spark had been lit. I typed on the computer at my Dad's house the next weekend, "bononicle.com", and after my Dad fixed my typo I was online, reading Onua, his brother.and sister, mythic elemental robotic guardians that lived on and protected a giant island off the cost of Chile named Mata Nui, and against the beasts of The Makuta and his brother Mata Nui.

Upon seeing the front of the canister I had a spark of obsession that I have kept to this.day.

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

My grandma showing up at the door with a brand new Lewa. I also vaguely remember going to the store with my other grandma to buy a Lehvak and opening a Roboriders set (Onyx) for Christmas.

I was in a jumble sale that used to happen regularly at the old market, when at a table I saw a strange thing.

It was a small black robot in a ball, that could be unrolled into a form that could launch its head forward. My mother bought it for me for £1.00, and I held it in my hands.

That's when my memories merge into the pass-the-parcel that won me Balta.

I first Bionicle-related memory was when my Mom and I went into Toys R US and went to the Lego section. We found the Bionicle sets, where I picked up Tahu Mata and Lewa Mata. And so began my love for Bionicle. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Well, I have vague recollections of seeing ads for the Toa Mata in the back of a few instruction booklets (for the Throwbots and Roboriders, perhaps). But after that, I distinctly remember buying and playing with my first few Toa Mata, Tahu and Lewa, and being amazed at how cool they were.

~B~

Getting Pohatu and not understanding how ball joints/sockets work and sort of giving up trying to build him for a bit, and then finally getting it. :P

And also building the Bohrok combiner with Nuhvok, Tahnok and Pahrak, was it? I remember it looked really cool and my mom commented on it being a little scary and it sat in the corner of my bedroom for a bit.

I remember seeing the sets in a store called play and learn, but I didn't get interested in them until I saw the rahaga several years later. There was something about their little hunchbacked figures that made me fall in love with bionicle. 

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Varka/BIONICLE/Avatars/varka_sig_2.png

I remember seeing the first TV advert while watching Saturday morning cartoons and it immediately gave me goosebumps. First I thought it must be a trailer for a movie but once I noticed it was for Lego Sets I just had to have them.

"I expected it to attack, or scream out in rage, or do something else I wouldn't enjoy at all. Instead, the look on it's face was almost one of ... sadness, and resignation. Almost as if it knew that I, or someone like me, was coming, but had hoped against hope I wouldn't show up."

— Takanuva

We must change and change, until change is our master, for no being, not god nor mortal, has control over that which has no form.

• 2 weeks later...

1024x768_toa_mata_on_stairs_by_biomediap

I'm pretty sure it was this exact picture in one of those little catalog booklets that came with some sets way back when.  Didn't get into it until years later in '05-'06, though.  '06 was a good year to join, I think, a lot of lonely island-style mystery similar to the very beginning.

15863836330_7c7ce4fb30.jpg

"And at the closing of the day              

She loosed the chain, and down she lay;              

The broad stream bore her far away,              

The Lady of Shalott."              

+

As mentioned in a previous post, I very vaguely remember putting together a Vakama, Nuju, and Whenua Metru Nui toa sets. Then I remember watching the movie... and then wondered where all the spiders went and was confused about the whole Bionicle story line until recently re-reading a summarized version of the story. Also remember wanting a Lewa Mata every year for christmas (which I have recently obtained, along with the golden kanohi ^_^) after first building those sets and getting really involved with Bionicle.

EDIT: Also, I remember in '06 I played the Voya Nui game but didn't get very far, then in '07, I played and finished MNOG as soon as getting home from my grandparents house. To this day, that is literally the ONLY game to ever make me cry. c:

Edited by Forgeta

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

Getting Pohatu and not understanding how ball joints/sockets work and sort of giving up trying to build him for a bit, and then finally getting it. :P

And also building the Bohrok combiner with Nuhvok, Tahnok and Pahrak, was it? I remember it looked really cool and my mom commented on it being a little scary and it sat in the corner of my bedroom for a bit.

That combiner was Bohrok Kaita Za. And you are correct about the combiners

?

Pinching my fingers in every ball joint from 2001-2006 as a kid.

• Upvote 1

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

do yall remember those little mini catalogs that would come with sets? ok well i got one of those in a set i got for christmas 2000. and they had this pic of onua, yknow the iconic one of him diggin underground. and probs the other toa, idr tho. and i was like "oh man Oh Man these guys are just like the throwbots" and i had to get them, because i had all the throwbots

i did not get any bionicle sets until summer 2001. but then i got kopaka. i remember i had a lot of adventures with him and frost (the roborider) out in the courtyard of our apartment complex we were living in at the time. it was SO awesome. i hope to have more sweet adventures with gen 2 kopaka tbh

kopaka then became one of my Best Friends tbh, i took him everywhere. after we moved i met a friend who was also into bionicle, we would go hang out downtown and at the train tracks and i would bring kopaka and he would bring tahu and it was cool. we had cool adventures

ok that is actually multiple memories but ultimately it ends up being that my first memory is falling head over heels for kopaka and taking him absolutely everywhere

Edited by Courtney

bionicle is trans culture