Set Review: 70785 Pohatu Master of Stone

Pohatu

He is tough as stone and absolutely rocks: Pohatu, the Master of Stone, is the subject of the latest Bionicle set review as we prepare for its return in January! The brown and stone sets have had a rough history over the years, but to see the color make a return is a welcome addition. Should this set be left in the dust or be shown off high on a plateau? Read, and watch, on to find out.

View the full article

• Upvote 5

I really like Pohatu's weapons with his new set, They are arguably the best weapons out of all them that come with the 2015 Toa IMO. And I think this is the first he's actually gotten weapons since his 2002 set was released. (Unless you count his Midak Skyblaster as a weapon on his 2008 set.) 

I also like his color scheme a lot. The brown and sliver flow together really well. The trans-lime green kind of sticks though, but I don't think it hurts the set that much.

Thanks for the review!

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I don't know which one of you is Benjanin, but his inability to recognize brown and transparent lime green as a terrible color scheme rubs me the wrong way.

Also the Kevin Hinkle minifig jokes got real old, real fast.

Every party has a pooper,

That's why we invited you!

Party pooper, party pooper,

Go have your poopin' fun.

As for my thoughts on the set, I think it's pretty cool! Not my favorite of the Masters, but the color scheme, the return of brown, and the sweet navy blue Skull Spider more than makes up for it.

• Upvote 3

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

I really like Pohatu, even if the lime-green does stick out a lot.  Good thing I can change that with parts from my collection (thanks to the very nature of Lego).  His mask is one of the better redesigns in my opinion.  I didn't know that the "jetarangs" had a pivot on them!  That's pretty cool.  

Sooo just for confirmation, the brown that he comes with is the reddish-brown that we first saw in Avak right?  Not the classic brown of original Pohatu?  The review wasn't totally clear on that, so I'm just guessing based on the pictures.  

I was hoping to hear some thoughts on how the arms look IRL, with one being brown/trans lime green and the other being silver/black, but it looks alright (and easily fixed should I dislike it). That said I might also have just somehow missed the comment.

I'm actually liking the trans lime green in the set here more than I thought I would, although I would have preferred trans yellow.

Sooo just for confirmation, the brown that he comes with is the reddish-brown that we first saw in Avak right?  Not the classic brown of original Pohatu?  The review wasn't totally clear on that, so I'm just guessing based on the pictures.

Nope. The brownish color in the new Pohatu is actually Dark Orange, the same classic color used for the mask and feet of Huki/Hewkii in 2001 and 2003 (as well as for several parts of Pewku and the Gukko in 2003).

Anyway, good review! Pohatu is a bit bare-bones, but I really like his proportions and the fact that he remains one of the shortest Toa (together with Onua). His color scheme is epic, and unlike the brawny Onua, Pohatu looks small and speedy, like you'd expect a runner to look. His Stormerangs/Jeterangs are an awesome weapon design, and one that I think really suits him.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

:br: I have been looking forward to this review to decide if I want to, for the first time, add a Toa of Stone into my collection.

It is no doubt awesome to see the return of the classic Brown (which according to the New Elementary Blog is actually Dark Orange). It is not my top favorite color but I certainly do like it (the rarity of brown in later years of Bionicle also adds to its appeal IMO). On Pohatu the "brown" looks decent with silver and trans-lime green, although from many angles the lime green is rather obscured/hidden from view (even though Pohatu is not as heavily armored as the other Toa). Wish there is just a little bit more "brown" than silver on Pohatu, other than that the color scheme looks great to me.

The new Mask of Stone clearly resembles the classic Kakama to a great deal (which is a big bonus :D), albeit re-designed to bear some cute Matoran Mask-feel!

Now for the weapons. Apparently the cool-looking Jeterangs can be "folded". How neat is that! B-) As the comic strip on the back of the set package implies, you can "fold" the Jetaranges to "sand/desert-surf" and "unfold" to soar above the desert! And as Benjamin pointed out, you have Bohrok teeth piece adorning the Jeterangs and Guurahk staff piece acting as a handy dagger. Classic Bionicle pieces :happydance: Awesome Toa tools Pohatu has there! Only minor complaint is the black connector pegs sticking out of the Jeterangs, but I'm sure those can be re-located to other spots on Pohatu.

As for Pohatu's build, I like how it creates the impression of an agile, lean (neither skinny nor over-exposed!) Pohatu. The way how the dagger attaches to his back may look like a "tail" but at least I don't find that ugly or lame.

To sum it up, Pohatu is a really decent set. Now I can't decide if I want Onua or Pohatu :(

Edited by Tahtorak ate my house!

Your left brain contains nothing right, while your right brain contains nothing left.

C'mon, Ben, you should've been a bit more specific about the shade of brown, since that is a pretty important design factor.  :sly:

Although I'm not a fan of the burnt orange and trans neon green combo, I can't deny that I wouldn't mind having more trans neon green pieces.  And his weapons are awesome too.  Although Pohatu is a bit on the basic side, I think he might be one of my favorites.

Thanks for the review and pictures!

:music:

Edited by xccj

I don't know which one of you is Benjanin, but his inability to recognize brown and transparent lime green as a terrible color scheme rubs me the wrong way.

Isn't it just awful when people don't share your opinions.

Anyway, still one of the three Toa on my to-get list.  Still thinking of ways to put big toe kickers on the CCBS feet, though.

• Upvote 5

OpAXNpl.jpg

Wow, I certainly look nice here! Thanks for reviewing the set of me- I've been waiting for this since Bionicle 2015 was announced. You made a mistake, though- my Stormerangs are called Stormerangs when I hold them and use them as weapons, and they are called Jeterangs when they attach to my feet. I like the way how my lower legs look like I'm wearing boots. Excellent review, and I'll be buying this set for the following reasons.

1. I'm Pohatu, how can I not buy the set version of me?

2. Brown is back!

3. Great price.

4. Stormerangs/Jeterangs are AWESOME.

5. Trans-lime will be great for MOCing, and it goes well with the color scheme. 

6. The Mask of Stone is very similar to the Kakama, and that's great!

7. Stone-element bias.

8. The asymmetrical arms actually look very nice.

9. Armored feet/boots.

10. BIONICLE 2015 HYPE.

• Upvote 1

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

Thanks for the review :)

Now I like this Pohatu set, but it'l be the last set I buy of the Toa; they've meed him nice and slim which I can see how that ties into speedy & his Toa Tools are pretty interesting, I like the colours used although the asymmetry of the arms seems a bit strange; I would have either tried to differentiate them more or even out the arm-bones, although I do like the 'armour' asymmetry although I feel that could have been a bit stronger.

It does show that he has (roughly) the same amount of pieces as the Protector of Stone, but piece count isn't everything. I feel more now than before that there should be something covering those spare ball-joints. I don't know what, & I suspect they would need to rework his model a bit or introduce a new mold to accommodate that, so for something so one-of :/ Is understandable why they didn't work a bit more into him...

Still a nice set though.

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Pohatu! I'm looking forward to using that dark orange on MOCs.

Also, why is everyone using the word lime to describe trans-neon green now? Is that one of Lego's terms for the color?

~B~

No, the official LEGO term is Transparent Fluorescent Green. Personally I really dislike the term Trans-Lime because I have seen it used to refer to both Tr. Fluorescent Green and Tr. Bright Green and it can lead to confusion. And it's not THAT hard to type Trans-Neon Green or Tr. Flu. Green.

One thing about this set that I haven't mentioned but which I do consider kind of odd is how the color layering is reversed for the arms and legs. On the arms, the Tr. Flu. Green beams have Dark Orange shells and the Black beams have Silver Metallic shells. On the legs it's the other way around. It doesn't cripple the color scheme, but it's a tad bit peculiar and I sort of wonder whether it might have looked better to swap his leg shells around. That might have upset the distribution of Dark Orange, though.

• Upvote 1

Anybody tried building the torso upside down yet?

Cool review.

VBBN (who has been reviewing the sets for Eurobricks) made an attempt here, though I think it's slightly awkward in some respects, and there are some pieces in slight collision (namely the eight-tooth gears are colliding with the bottom ball joint of the torso beam). It's good from a MOC standpoint but maybe doesn't quite measure up to the other Toa sets.

• Upvote 1

Pohatu is still one of my favorite 2015 sets and definitely going to be one of my first purchases. Though it is odd to see him in Dark Orange, it's great to get more of the color and it, plus the boomerangs and the chest paint, give him an Aborigine vibe, which is awesome. The proportions, though small, look great for him, although the knee covers look ridiculously large on his smaller frame. He also managed to pull off the Dark Orange-Trans-Flu. Green (are you happy, Aanchir? :P) color scheme better than the Protector of Stone did. The Jetarangs, despite the ridiculous name, look to be very versatile pieces, although I'm oddly disappointed they don't have click joints. I didn't realize they had such a drastic range of motion though.

Overall, I'm still impressed. Although I still wanted him before the review, this made me even more excited for him!

I really love this set, but there is just one thing: his "dagger". It drives me nuts. It looks terrible, sticking out of his back like that, at least take a leaf from Tahus book and have two? Other than that, nice set. I will purchase this along with all the other sets.

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

After seeing this review I think I've decided to get the blue Master/Protector sets.

I like a lot of things about this guy, but the bare shoulders and some of the coloring just doesn't sit right with me.

Not that he's a bad set, I still like him, just not as much as Gali.

• Upvote 1

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

The trans lime green is really appealing to me more now, I actually love the way it looks with the brown, I really want Pohatu more than I did before now :D I actually love the balls sticking out on the sides of his armor, to me it feels like a call back to the balls on his shoulders back in 01 :)

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Yeah hasn't really improved my view of him, again he's not bad but he's just bland compared to the others and his colour scheme still sucks (seriously is he supposed to be a brown or silver).

You could have said the same sort of thing about the original Pohatu, though. Is he supposed to be tan or brown? He actually had more tan parts than brown ones. Only his torso, feet, mask, and rock were brown (6 pieces), whereas his arms, legs, foot attachments, and neck were all tan (eight pieces). Likewise, Pohatu Nuva had more silver than brown. Seven silver parts (torso armor, shoulder armor, foot attachments, claws), and just four brown parts (torso, feet, and mask).

Frankly, I think the new Pohatu has enough Dark Orange and uses it in the right places for you to tell at a glance that it's his primary color. I suppose if you really wanted you could buy a second Protector of Stone and replace all of Pohatu's Silver Metallic 4M shells with Dark Orange ones (and it'd be interesting to see how Pohatu would look with this change, since it would involve making his arms a bit more symmetrical), but I don't think the set particularly needs it.

Yeah hasn't really improved my view of him, again he's not bad but he's just bland compared to the others and his colour scheme still sucks (seriously is he supposed to be a brown or silver).

You could have said the same sort of thing about the original Pohatu, though. Is he supposed to be tan or brown? He actually had more tan parts than brown ones. Only his torso, feet, mask, and rock were brown (6 pieces), whereas his arms, legs, foot attachments, and neck were all tan (eight pieces). Likewise, Pohatu Nuva had more silver than brown. Seven silver parts (torso armor, shoulder armor, foot attachments, claws), and just four brown parts (torso, feet, and mask).

Frankly, I think the new Pohatu has enough Dark Orange and uses it in the right places for you to tell at a glance that it's his primary color. I suppose if you really wanted you could buy a second Protector of Stone and replace all of Pohatu's Silver Metallic 4M shells with Dark Orange ones (and it'd be interesting to see how Pohatu would look with this change, since it would involve making his arms a bit more symmetrical), but I don't think the set particularly needs it.

Yeah but the torso piece was big enough in order to make it so that brown was the clear main colour (same for the other toa), this version has silver legs, a half silver body (though to be fair most of the new toa have that), and a silver arm. And I've never been one to buy multiple of one set (although I could use the few brown pieces in HF).

• Upvote 2

It's time to move on.

Not really. The colour distribution for both of those Pohatu's was just enough to set brown up as the main colour. This Pohatu, as masterchirox580 mentioned, has a completely silver lower body as well as a silver arm, so I can see where the complaints are coming from.

Either way, really like the set. Love how it's shorter than the rest, though the pieces count is a little unfortunate for the price range. Regardless, love the weapons and the return of brown as well as the mask - not too sure about the silver or trans green, it still looks off IMO.

Finally, I really hope people make a Hewkii 2015 version. xD

-NotS

• Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

Not really. The colour distribution for both of those Pohatu's was just enough to set brown up as the main colour. This Pohatu, as masterchirox580 mentioned, has a completely silver lower body as well as a silver arm, so I can see where the complaints are coming from.

Either way, really like the set. Love how it's shorter than the rest, though the pieces count is a little unfortunate for the price range. Regardless, love the weapons and the return of brown as well as the mask - not too sure about the silver or trans green, it still looks off IMO.

Finally, I really hope people make a Hewkii 2015 version. xD

-NotS

I think it's going to be a while before we see the toa inika again (if at all).

Edited by masterchirox580

It's time to move on.

I think it's going to be a while before we see the toa inika again (if at all).

Nah, I meant I hope that people create a Hewkii moc with these new dark orange pieces akin to the Protectors :P

-NotS

Oh, in which case I think we should expect something like pretty quickly after the new sets are mass released. 

It's time to move on.

Anyone else dislike the dagger?

I dislike that it's called a dagger (not picking on anyone, it just doesn't really evoke the word dagger for me...), but the thing itself doens't bother me, although when it's on his back & hanging straight down it looks very silly, on a different angle it looks fine to me though.

Except on how they showed it as a combiner. That looked ridiculous.

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

dark oraaaange

im a bit disappointed that its not trans yellow tbh ... trans yellow and dark orange make a surprisingly good colour combination imo

also does his gearbox really attach that low on his torso? it looks ... really weird tbh

bionicle is trans culture

Isn't it just awful when people don't share your opinions.

Opinions never made my eyes bleed.

Unless your eyes literally started bleeding, the quality of the dark orange and trans-neon green is your opinion - just like Benjamin and everyone else have their opinion on it as well. If you're not a fan, that's great. Just be respectful to people who don't share your opinion.
  • Upvote 3