MOCing Grievances and Pleasures

Doctor Makuta

Hey ya'll.

So I've been MOCing myself lately and thought I'd ask, which is the most pleasurable/easiest/part you find enjoyable part of MOC building to you? In the same vein, which part of doing it do you find yourself dreading the most?

For me I find feet, not to be the most exciting thing to do. I enjoy however tweaking finished things and making them look that bit better with additions and whatnot.

Tahu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Lewa; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Onua; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Kopaka; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Pohatu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Gali; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). 

Vakama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Matau; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Whenua; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nuju; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Onewa; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nokama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). 
Matoran; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Huna (x) 
Rahi; Infected Hau (x) Huna (x) Kakama (x) Komau (x) Pakari (x) Ruru ()

Promotional Kanohi - Vahi (x) Chrome Hau (x) Ruru (x) TNGM (x) Copper Huna (x) Copper Komau ()

An (x) means I have, a () means I dont.

For me, it really depends on the MOC. In some cases, I'm eager to use a new armor technique I've thought up, but I dread making a skeleton to situate it on. Similarly, I sometimes come up with a really cool structural design that I fear may not be able to support a lot of decent armor.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

~T1S~: I see. However would you agree those MOCs where you have/need a sudden breakthrough can be some of the more innovative or nice looking ones? I recently have gotten a new way of building female ones lately which has produced a rather nice looking Water figure. :)

Tahu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Lewa; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Onua; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Kopaka; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Pohatu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Gali; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). 

Vakama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Matau; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Whenua; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nuju; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Onewa; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nokama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). 

Promotional Kanohi - Vahi (x) Chrome Hau (x) Ruru (x) TNGM (x) Copper Huna (x) Copper Komau ()

I will also say weapons can be quite good when you put together something slick that just works well with the MOC. Figuring out how to put the pieces into your idea can be a bit of a thinking situation, but when its on the MOC and just suits it. Well who doesn't enjoy that feeling?

• Upvote 2

When building a humanoid, to me the weapon is the most exciting part to MoC. Every other part follows some sort of formula - the legs, feet, body, arms, head always have some similar structure, but the weapon could be absolutely anything. I usually start a MoC by coming up with the most creative weapon that I can.

As for the most difficult part, for me that would be the ankles. They can be hard to build with enough support, and a lot of my creations are prone to falling backwards, smashing my 2001 display in the process...Kopaka's been face-slapped one too many times.

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

Just looking at my Flickr WIP, the legs and especially the feet. Usually I can figure something out for the arms, and torsos are probably the most fun to build for me (there's so many large pieces that look great, or you pack it full of small details), but I can never figure out the waist on a good MOC. Legs come slowly, but eventually. I guess it's just that Lego made very few parts that actually fit the waist armor shape.

I hate making hands. I'm okay with feet, since I've made some really good ones before, but I find a hard time making good proportional hands for large MOCs. Recently, I used mixel joints for hands and it turned out well, though. I also dislike gappiness, but I've been getting better at filling in gaps.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

Most of my mocs start out as me just putting pieces together and figuring out what to do next (though i guess i'd call them whim builds more than MOCs, little to no thought put into them). That's prolly my favourite part; a lot of these whim builds end up as torsos for my toa creations. My least favourite part has got to be when i figure out a way to do legs or arms and i finish one, but can't find the right pieces to replicate it for the other limb (or at least in the right colour).

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

My favorite part of MOCing is coming up with a design that others have not seen before and getting constructive criticism on those designs. When a MOC just comes together after a while, I just feel good about it.

Tweaking finished MOCs is also fun. I just put some yellow/keetorange accents on MOC that used to be just metru-red and white. It doesn't sound good in writing, but it looks good when you see it. 

On the other hand, I hate it when I can't find the right color part to match the scheme of a MOC, which then makes me feel the urge to use the pat anyway and then cover it with another piece. I also hate it when a part of a MOC is fragile or cannot carry too much weight. I have had this problem with some upper-arm designs that have now been dismantled in favor of more structurally-sound designs.

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif