2015 stud shooter

Does it still shoot alright though?

-NotS

Absolutely! It doesn't shoot with quite as much power as a 1x1 round plate, because 1x1 round bricks are slightly heavier, but it's still reasonably powerful.

I was really impressed to learn that it COULD shoot these, as the "click shooters" used in this year's sets can't fire ammo that has a hollow stud — the trigger for those pieces strikes the center of the stud, so if the stud doesn't have a center it won't fire. The new rapid-fire shooters, on the other hand, fire when the ridge on the center section hits the EDGE of the stud, so they work just as well with hollow studs as with solid ones.

• Upvote 3

Does it still shoot alright though?

-NotS

Absolutely! It doesn't shoot with quite as much power as a 1x1 round plate, because 1x1 round bricks are slightly heavier, but it's still reasonably powerful.

I was really impressed to learn that it COULD shoot these, as the "click shooters" used in this year's sets can't fire ammo that has a hollow stud — the trigger for those pieces strikes the center of the stud, so if the stud doesn't have a center it won't fire. The new rapid-fire shooters, on the other hand, fire when the ridge on the center section hits the EDGE of the stud, so they work just as well with hollow studs as with solid ones.

Wow, that's neat! Definitely opens up some MOCing opportunites for larger ammo. :D

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

• 2 weeks later...

Could you theoretically fire any studded piece from the launcher, if it was connected properly?

Theoretically, yes! Though unless the part is round it would be difficult to load six of them into the launcher — parts with square sides would tend to collide with each other. And the larger the piece, the heavier it is and the less power it launches with.

The Cordak had some range.

yeah, three or so feet, if the missile even left the barrel. (it didn't)

Yep, the frequent misfires of the Cordak Blaster were a bit of a design flaw. Designers noticed this issue after-the-fact and sought to correct that with the Nynrah Ghost Blaster by making the circular supports in the back narrower than those in the front so they wouldn't scrape against the inside of the barrel.

I haven't had the new blasters misfire even once, which makes sense, as the axle can't really rotate them PAST a particular ammo piece without firing it.

• Upvote 1

Just tried firing one of the blasters a few times after clearing a space in my room so I wouldn't lose the ammo. In just a couple tries I was able to get the ammo to fire four or five feet just by tilting the blaster up slightly. I'm sure with optimal conditions you could get it to go six feet.

What you have to keep in mind is that the ammo for the new blasters is extremely light, just around half the weight of a Cordak mini-rocket, so it doesn't take much force at all for it to fly far.

• Upvote 2

There's also something to be said for reliability and ease of use.  While the Cordak blasters were cool, the ammo was so finicky as to how many would actually fire based on the smallest differences.  Sure one might go far, but the other five may never fire ever.  It also required a swift pump of the thumb in order to go anywhere, which wasn't always easy and often jerked the baster around.  The new stud shooter system looks to be way note reliable (not relying on a perfect air seal between dart and barrel) and far more user-friendly, since all it takes is the turn of a knob.

Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg

Just tried firing one of the blasters a few times after clearing a space in my room so I wouldn't lose the ammo. In just a couple tries I was able to get the ammo to fire four or five feet just by tilting the blaster up slightly. I'm sure with optimal conditions you could get it to go six feet.

What you have to keep in mind is that the ammo for the new blasters is extremely light, just around half the weight of a Cordak mini-rocket, so it doesn't take much force at all for it to fly far.

Well I have a Cordak here with me, and looking at its rockets, its good they have some mass. It let's them knock stuff over. As a pair of battle droids found out.

• Upvote 2

Well I have a Cordak here with me, and looking at its rockets, its good they have some mass. It let's them knock stuff over. As a pair of battle droids found out.

Yeah, that's the one flaw of the new blasters—they don't provide nearly as much force as, say, a Zamor launcher. But the flurry of studs they create LOOKS powerful, and for role-play that's not structured as a competition or game, that's all that's really necessary. And I'm sure Lego is keeping launchers like the Zamor launcher and Technic cannon around for if a System or Constraction set DOES need a competitive component. And who knows? Maybe we'll see another new Technic-based launcher (perhaps one based on the more powerful spring-loaded "lasers" from this year's Star Wars sets) before too long.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I'd rather have a shooter that's powerful and works over one that looks cool. :)

I'd rather have one that's useful for building above all else, and that's where I think the new blasters really shine. They can actually be integrated into all kinds of creative weapon and model designs, instead of being such a bulky and specialized shape that they stick out like a sore thumb no matter what you do with them.

Cordak Blasters were cool, and powerful, and they worked, albeit unreliably. But there was absolutely no way you could work them unobtrusively into a custom weapon for a villager-sized figure. Their power came at the cost of their versatility.

• Upvote 3

You don't need versatility when you have a chain rocket launcher. :)

That's what I would've said before we had a chain blaster that actually WAS versatile (and on top of that, didn't misfire 1 in 10 times). ;)

• Upvote 2

How do we know this won't misfire? Have there been any tests?

I've used them plenty and never had them misfire. To be honest, I don't know how it possibly COULD misfire — there's no way to rotate the central trigger past one of the studs without it hitting the stud and thus firing it.
  • Upvote 1

I thought we won't get it until 2015?

I received six sets (three Toa and three Protectors to review for The New Elementary, a LEGO fan blog that focuses on new and interesting LEGO elements.

My review of the Protectors hasn't been posted yet, but you can see my review of Kopaka here and my review of Lewa and Gali here.

Lots of other sites like BZPower, Eurobricks, and Bionifigs also received sets for review purposes.

Has any one taken a good look at Cole's Bolder Blaster? It had 8 of the spring loaded missiles arranged in circle, with a built rapped fire mechanism.

Blaster23.jpg

That will be the best shooter on 2015!

• Upvote 2

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

Has any one taken a good look at Cole's Bolder Blaster? It had 8 of the spring loaded missiles arranged in circle, with a built rapped fire mechanism.

Blaster23.jpg

That will be the best shooter on 2015!

I literally can't wait to get that set; it's an ingenious firing mechanism.  The principle it works by is very similar to the shooters, incidentally—the only differences are that the nub that triggers the missiles to fire is on the outside rather than the inside of the rotating barre, and that the barrel rotates as it fires, whereas all the Protector sets have the barrel mounted steadily and rotate the center nub to fire the launcher (although the launcher from the Protectors can work this way, too—they just haven't done so in sets yet).

the old ones weren't that aesthetically pleasing.

No sir they were not, not at all no sir no not one bit they were darn ugly

Do Bionicles need launching weapons? It just seems so gimmicky

You could really say the same about all of their features - popping the masks off is definitely gimmicky, and swinging the arms could seem gimmicky to some. I think the small features like that can add a lot, and while I don't really care about the mask-popping ability, I do think the launching weapons are good. Whenever I showed my new sets to my brothers (who are not into Bionicle), the launchers were always the things they handled the most, especially the Cordak Blaster. I think the launchers appeal to the casual audience a lot, and I definitely think the new launchers look really good and small. Furthermore, the Toa don't have launchers at all, for which I am thankful.

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png