2015 stud shooter

the old ones weren't that aesthetically pleasing.

No sir they were not, not at all no sir no not one bit they were darn ugly

Do Bionicles need launching weapons? It just seems so gimmicky

You could really say the same about all of their features - popping the masks off is definitely gimmicky, and swinging the arms could seem gimmicky to some. I think the small features like that can add a lot, and while I don't really care about the mask-popping ability, I do think the launching weapons are good. Whenever I showed my new sets to my brothers (who are not into Bionicle), the launchers were always the things they handled the most, especially the Cordak Blaster. I think the launchers appeal to the casual audience a lot, and I definitely think the new launchers look really good and small. Furthermore, the Toa don't have launchers at all, for which I am thankful.

The big red buttons kind if stood out in most designs.

Do Bionicles need launching weapons? It just seems so gimmicky and the old ones weren't that aesthetically pleasing.

They weren't that bad!

I thought the Kanoka launchers and the Zamor launchers were nice, and the Thornax launchers were probably my favorite. All the other ones though...blegh. They either didn't work (squids/cordak), looked terrible and were almost impossible to build with (Midak Skyblaster/Nyrah), or were downright pointless (Rhotuka). But I do think they were all fun to shoot, and probably helped Bionicle's popularity a lot.

IetTsFQ.png

Launchers have been a part of BIONICLE since the Exo-Toa in 2002 — arguably even longer than that, since the disk-flinging arms of the 2001 Matoran could be considered launchers from a play perspective. Starting in 2004 with the Kanoka disks, launchers became a staple of BIONICLE sets. The BIONICLE reboot is going to great lengths to recreate all the aspects of the old BIONICLE that made it so appealing — not including launcher functions would be a huge oversight.

It's true that classic BIONICLE launchers were often large and cumbersome. That's part of why I'm so glad the new BIONICLE has started off on the right foot by introducing a launcher that is small and versatile. I think they go a long way in adding play value to the Protector sets, which are generally too small to incorporate gear functions like the Toa without cutting corners elsewhere in their design.

It's possible, of course, that we might still see larger and more powerful launchers in larger sets like vehicles. The BIONICLE Zamor Sphere launcher and Hero Factory plasma sphere launcher elements are all still in production as of this year, as is the modern-day equivalent of the Technic blaster used for the Exo-Toa twelve years ago.

Edited by Aanchir

Has any one taken a good look at Cole's Bolder Blaster? It had 8 of the spring loaded missiles arranged in circle, with a built rapped fire mechanism.

Blaster23.jpg

That will be the best shooter on 2015!

Isn't that set not officially released yet? Doesn't that make it a leaked set image?

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

I also think the Thornax Launcher looked the best due to its small profile (microscopic compared to the previous launchers), and its simple style. It also functioned great, and was easier to fire without shaking the weapon too much (unlike the weapons that had a button you pushed with your thumb, i.e. 2007-2008). The only downside to it was its ammo capacity - just one bullet.

The Thornax fruit was also a fun piece...it was bouncy! A bouncy projectile. That's what the next Toa need.

Edited by Dark Blue

IetTsFQ.png

I'd rather have a mulut shot shooter than one that could be incorporated into a set.

I think you mean multiple, or multi rather than mulut.

Anyways, you will probably like the new launcher if that is the case. I'm already planning up ammo designs. This new launcher is awesome- not only does it shoot the projectile every single time, but it is powerful, and you can build the ammo. That's something we've never seen- a launcher you can build custom ammo for.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

I one launcher I never liked was the thornax, it was just so simple, it felt lazy. :(

on the other hand, the two-part design made it easier to incorporate into stuff and also allowed the separated prongs to serve non-launcher purposes! :U

I thought the Thornax was an excellent design, precisely because of how versatile it was. The fact that it played part of a moderately-enjoyable competitive game fed into that—almost any figure could hold a Thornax launcher, and most had space to add a life counter, meaning you could easily retrofit past figures (such as Toa Inika, Phantoka, or even titans like Axonn or 2008 Takanuva) to be able to be used for the game.

The redesign of the Thornax launcher from 2012 is less versatile as a building element due to only having one attachment point, but on the other hand it's even more compact.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I one launcher I never liked was the thornax, it was just so simple, it felt lazy. :(

on the other hand, the two-part design made it easier to incorporate into stuff and also allowed the separated prongs to serve non-launcher purposes! :U

I thought the Thornax was an excellent design, precisely because of how versatile it was. The fact that it played part of a moderately-enjoyable competitive game fed into that—almost any figure could hold a Thornax launcher, and most had space to add a life counter, meaning you could easily retrofit past figures (such as Toa Inika, Phantoka, or even titans like Axonn or 2008 Takanuva) to be able to be used for the game.

The redesign of the Thornax launcher from 2012 is less versatile as a building element due to only having one attachment point, but on the other hand it's even more compact.

also, it removes some of the compactness, but... i think i may have some ideas for self-reloading rapid-thornax-fruit-firing-mechanisms. (i just need the pieces for it. :0)

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Has any one taken a good look at Cole's Bolder Blaster? It had 8 of the spring loaded missiles arranged in circle, with a built rapped fire mechanism.

Blaster23.jpg

I literally can't wait to get that set; it's an ingenious firing mechanism.  The principle it works by is very similar to the shooters, incidentally—the only differences are that the nub that triggers the missiles to fire is on the outside rather than the inside of the rotating barre, and that the barrel rotates as it fires, whereas all the Protector sets have the barrel mounted steadily and rotate the center nub to fire the launcher (although the launcher from the Protectors can work this way, too—they just haven't done so in sets yet).

I just love this Gatling gun style of shooter, especially on this "Ninja A-10" Cole's zooming around in.

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

Blaster23.jpg

Isn't that set not officially released yet? Doesn't that make it a leaked set image?

Bionicle 2015 isn't officially released either.

In the story do these stud shooters actually shoot studs or like elemental bolts?

I believe they fire elemental blasts, judging from the descriptions on the Protectors' character pages on BIONICLE.com. Though in the case of the Protector of Earth's rapid shooter, it's a little less clear — it says it "delivers a massive number of projectiles in the blink of an eye", but doesn't go into any detail on the nature of those projectiles.

In the story do these stud shooters actually shoot studs or like elemental bolts?

I believe they fire elemental blasts, judging from the descriptions on the Protectors' character pages on BIONICLE.com. Though in the case of the Protector of Earth's rapid shooter, it's a little less clear — it says it "delivers a massive number of projectiles in the blink of an eye", but doesn't go into any detail on the nature of those projectiles.

I believe it would probably be shooting obsidian shards.

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

Has anyone figured out how to separate the trigger part from the center of the stud shooter? All the ways I can think of doing it would probably break one (if not both) of the pieces.

Pinching the two sides of the center section with some tweezers or something might work.

That said, it's not my job to enforce this, but you're not supposed to post in topics this old.